Forums/Armchair-GM

Most the jets would give for Monahan

Created by: Howie
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 15, 2024
Published: Jan. 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Jets don't need him but ig if they do trade for him this is max so habs fan know what we'd pay
Trades
WPG
  1. Monahan, Sean
Additional Details:
MAX
MTL
  1. Wagner, Fabian
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (WPG)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$83,500,000$84,492,858$0$865,000-$992,858
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,437,500$3,437,500
RW, C
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Who wins the deal?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 15 at 8:42 p.m.
you talked to Chevyscream
drambui and RationalHockeyFan liked this.
Jan. 15 at 8:47 p.m.
Quoting: GoHabsGo99
you talked to Chevyscream

im glad someone took the time to speak to the source.
Jan. 15 at 8:50 p.m.
I think we're all pretty well aware if it's the 2nd and a prospect route it'll be the Habs 2024 2nd.
Jan. 15 at 8:50 p.m.
That's terrible for Winnipeg. Both pieces are far more valuable than Monahan to the Jets.
Jan. 15 at 8:51 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Don’t understand why Habs fans think he’s worth a 1st.
Howie, Windjammer and Wpgman liked this.
Jan. 15 at 8:51 p.m.
Quoting: Just_A_Guess
I think we're all pretty well aware if it's the 2nd and a prospect route it'll be the Habs 2024 2nd.

Nope mtl 2nd is 40 or earlier take the 2025 second and move on you got a 1st for him just to take him
Jan. 15 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: Howie
Nope mtl 2nd is 40 or earlier take the 2025 second and move on you got a 1st for him just to take him

I guarantee you Treliving regrets that move, but it really doesn't have anything to do with this trade.
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 15 at 8:55 p.m.
I can see Winnipeg buying in on Sean Monahan.
Jan. 15 at 8:58 p.m.
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan

Some Habs reporters (Basu and Godin in particular) have started to downplay the potential return for Monahan. I think they may have gotten wind of what other teams have been saying they'd offer for him. Expectations should probably be tempered accordingly.
Jan. 15 at 9:00 p.m.

A few Montreal fans are banking on some GM panicking and doing something stupid to try and save his job or something. A'la Florida with Chiarot. I think most rational Montreal fans realize he really isn't worth anywhere close to a first.
Jan. 15 at 9:01 p.m.
Quoting: Vancity2196
I can see Winnipeg buying in on Sean Monahan.

With the ultra defensive minded Rick Bowness as head coach I don't.
Windjammer liked this.
Jan. 15 at 9:05 p.m.
Go Habs Go

I don't think he's going to Winnipeg because the fans obviously don't want him to, but there's an argument for that price. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed, but it's more likely than not. (At this point, the market can change the availability of some players.)

Why?
- Comparable stat line to Lindholm but cheaper, both in terms of cap hit and cost to acquire.
- There will be more teams after Monahan than Lindholm, and even more after Lindholm is moved.
- Market is pretty sparse for rental centers with production (power play or otherwise).

Why not?
- Some teams may still be hesitant about injury concerns. (Easily solved by adding conditions to picks.)
- He's at the top of the rental market. Some teams may prefer non-rentals.
- There were a lot of moves last year and therefore less assets on the market (such as 1st round picks).

If "your" team doesn't "need" him, great.
That has nothing to do with his value.
Jan. 15 at 9:11 p.m.
Quoting: Trizzak
Some Habs reporters (Basu and Godin in particular) have started to downplay the potential return for Monahan. I think they may have gotten wind of what other teams have been saying they'd offer for him. Expectations should probably be tempered accordingly.

Quoting: ricochetii
I don't think he's going to Winnipeg because the fans obviously don't want him to, but there's an argument for that price. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed, but it's more likely than not. (At this point, the market can change the availability of some players.)

Why?
- Comparable stat line to Lindholm but cheaper, both in terms of cap hit and cost to acquire.
- There will be more teams after Monahan than Lindholm, and even more after Lindholm is moved.
- Market is pretty sparse for rental centers with production (power play or otherwise).

Why not?
- Some teams may still be hesitant about injury concerns. (Easily solved by adding conditions to picks.)
- There were a lot of moves last year and therefore less assets on the market (such as 1st round picks).

A think a 2nd is fair tbh as Monahan has the injury history and his Analytics aren't that good and almost half his points are pp
Jan. 15 at 9:19 p.m.
Half Man/Half Amazin
Don't know why they hate on the idea to pick up Monahan. They aren't gonna give up any top prospects and you get another centre that wins draws. He doesn't need to score just need to win draws. Depth at centre is great for a playoff push.
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 15 at 9:20 p.m.
TuckerKaberleSundin
Quoting: Windjammer
That's terrible for Winnipeg. Both pieces are far more valuable than Monahan to the Jets.

"Far more valuable" he said.

a 6th round pick with a projected 9 pts in in 47 games and a fantastic 0 points against his peers at wjc.

You should try not being a massive homer once in a while
drambui liked this.
Jan. 15 at 9:21 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: ricochetii

Why?

Why not?

Was playing Monahan 4 minutes a night on the PP the plan to try and artificially make his numbers look better and inflate a trade return?

Bc his 5v5 results are UGLY, both offensively and defensively
Windjammer liked this.
Jan. 15 at 9:40 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
Was playing Monahan 4 minutes a night on the PP the plan to try and artificially make his numbers look better and inflate a trade return?

Bc his 5v5 results are UGLY, both offensively and defensively

so if he plays with good player, his points dont count, but if he plays with bad players, then his points count?

Monahan has been playing with 4th liner on 5v5 most nights.
Jan. 15 at 9:43 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
so if he plays with good player, his points dont count, but if he plays with bad players, then his points count?

His Analytics are poor anyway with around half of his points on the top pp which he may not even get 2nd line pp time so what does he bring?
Jan. 15 at 9:44 p.m.
Prime Primeau

Cuz he is the second best C on the market, has a dirt cheap contract, and is better than some guys who got a first (or equivalent prospect) lately (Barbashev, Copp, Bertuzzi, etc.)
Jan. 15 at 9:45 p.m.
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
Cuz he is the second best C on the market, has a dirt cheap contract, and is better than some guys who got a first (or equivalent prospect) lately (Barbashev, Copp, Bertuzzi, etc.)

He's definitely not the 2nd best center he's just onow to be available. His Analytics are poor and based om that I'd rather perry for a playoff run than Monahan.

Hes also not as good as copp Bertuzzi Barbashev when they were traded, had better analytics and don't have injury concerns
Jan. 15 at 9:48 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

“Playing with good players” is not the same as playing in scenarios where your team has more players on the ice than the opponent.

If he was leading a particularly good power play I’d give him credit. But he’s not, the habs PP is below average. His numbers come from quantity of time on the PP that he doesn’t get anywhere else

Or even if he was the generator on the power play. But he’s not. He’s the net front guy. Every highlight you see is him standing in front waiting for someone else on the powerplay to break the defense’s structure and leave him wide open in front of the goalie. It’s not a hard job. And it’s not one he’s particularly good at. But he stat pads there.

Like if I had to think of a way to try and artificially inflate a guys stats, sticking him netfront on the PP 4 minutes a night would be exactly what I’d do
Howie and Windjammer liked this.
Jan. 15 at 9:52 p.m.
Quoting: Howie
His Analytics are poor anyway with around half of his points on the top pp which he may not even get 2nd line pp time so what does he bring?

im just saying if he had proper linemates who could play hockey he would also get better stats too. i dont think you can deny that.

he is always the best on his line.
Jan. 15 at 9:55 p.m.
im just saying if he had proper linemates who could play hockey he would also get better stats too. i dont think you can deny that.

he is always the best on his line.

Doesn't matter his analytics are personal to him. Sure playing with better players will make the team stat there better but ultimately the analytics don't support that he's worth that much plus 4 min of pp time goes crazy to boost his stats artificially to seem better than he is
Jan. 15 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
“Playing with good players” is not the same as playing in scenarios where your team has more players on the ice than the opponent.

If he was leading a particularly good power play I’d give him credit. But he’s not, the habs PP is below average. His numbers come from quantity of time on the PP that he doesn’t get anywhere else

Or even if he was the generator on the power play. But he’s not. He’s the net front guy. Every highlight you see is him standing in front waiting for someone else on the powerplay to break the defense’s structure and leave him wide open in front of the goalie. It’s not a hard job. And it’s not one he’s particularly good at. But he stat pads there.

Like if I had to think of a way to try and artificially inflate a guys stats, sticking him netfront on the PP 4 minutes a night would be exactly what I’d do

i mean you could make that argument go both ways. someone needs to do that job. and if hes there its probably because hes the best at doing. the only guy you could argue would do as much of a good there would be suzuki.

in the end scoring a rebound goal or dangling around 4 guys still just count as one goal.

Im not pretending he is a god on the power play also.
Jan. 15 at 9:59 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
i mean you could make that argument go both ways. someone needs to do that job. and if hes there its probably because hes the best at doing. the only guy you could argue would do as much of a good there would be suzuki.

in the end scoring a rebound goal or dangling around 4 guys still just count as one goal.

Im not pretending he is a god on the power play also.

I’m not saying the goals don’t count.

An acquiring team does not care about Monahan’s past production. They care about how he will impact their roster going forward.

As I have stated, he’s not anything special on the power play. So generally not going to provide a boost there.

His PK metrics are also underwhelming. Again a depth option there for whatever team acquires him but more likely they just already have 6 guys better at it and Monahan just doesn’t fill that role.

And at 5v5 his results have been bad.

So if he’s not helping improve your power play, your penalty kill, or your 5v5 play. Then how is helping a contender?
Windjammer liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit