Forums/Armchair-GM

Taking a look in Buffalos cupboard 2024-2025

Created by: MTLaveragefan
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 18, 2024
Published: Jan. 18, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
TT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Mitts, JJP, Benson, Kulich, savoie, ostlund, Quinn and Rosen.

Thats 12 players for 6 top roster spots. hell.. it's 11 players for 9 top roster players. Some of these players will eventually be the odd-man out in BUF's line-up.

I'm pretty sure some of them, if not most of them are intouchable - I understand... but like Dr. Schultz said to Mr. Candy in Django :

''Well, you won't sell your best. You won't even sell your second best, but your third best? You don't wanna sell either, but if I made you an offer so ridiculous, you'd be forced to consider it?"

Habs need that missing top 6 piece. and I think the Sabres have one to spare. I wounder if the following offer could pry one of those young buck from Buffalo.

Let me know what you think.

(Habs fans - I know it's probably an overpayment )
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$900,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,500,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Barron, Justin [RFA Rights]
  2. Beck, Owen
  3. Tuch, Luke [Reserve List]
Additional Details:
Beck is prototype 2-way scoring center who excels on the draw and on defense AND a pest) could be a great addition to BUF's line-up over time.

Barron is a two-way RHD with top 4 potential.

Luke Tuch is a decent prospect AND Alex Tuch's brother
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$70,857,083$1,022,500$4,770,000$16,642,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 18 at 11:00 a.m.
I can promise you one thing, Jack Quinn isn't going anywhere anytime soon
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:03 a.m.
Shibbal18
You looked at the Sabres prospects, made a point to mention how many forwards they have, then trade 2 worse forward prospects for probably the best of the Sabres prospect group... (And a meh d prospect)
Terrifiedofeveryone and wojme liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:04 a.m.
Get out of that cupboard.

No
Shibbal18 liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:14 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Typical fan responses here. No none of our prospects are for sale. We'll play them on the 4th line and wait until they publicly request a trade gosh darn it!

Your post makes a lot of sense, but they need defense not forwards. None of our forwards are better than what they have. But our D pipeline might be second to none.
BUFF36, MTLaveragefan, Andy_Dick and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:22 a.m.
Suczuking Kotkaniemi
Not sure why Buffalo would want those guys. Would rather try to center a deal around our many defensemen (like Harris, Barron, ect)
Jan. 18 at 11:29 a.m.
Quoting: jonh514
Typical fan responses here. No none of our prospects are for sale. We'll play them on the 4th line and wait until they publicly request a trade gosh darn it!

Your post makes a lot of sense, but they need defense not forwards. None of our forwards are better than what they have. But our D pipeline might be second to none.

Yes you are, and there's probably 1 that would get Buffalo to think about it, Reinbacher and they still might not do it.
wojme, Shibbal18 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:34 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: Shibbal18
You looked at the Sabres prospects, made a point to mention how many forwards they have, then trade 2 worse forward prospects for probably the best of the Sabres prospect group... (And a meh d prospect)

Lets see - Beck who is the perfect 3rd C - granted he's a forward... but a different type of forward that BUf needs.

Then Barron... OH WELL look at that a TOP 4 RHD rookie!

Tuch is a throw in because I like the idea of reuniting brothers.

Also - It doesn't have to be Quinn - this AGM is more to shop around and test the water. Then IF NOT QUINN, who would you be willing to trade? We have a ton of defensive prospect and picks.
Just_A_Guess and jonh514 liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:37 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: wojme
I can promise you one thing, Jack Quinn isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Then which one would you be willing to trade? You can't play talent guys on a 4th line... a team needs some balance between offense and defense. Habs have the Defense part covered... we need offense. And I understand that BUF is living the opposite - no problem scoring goals, but they need help keeping the puck of the net.

Any body you would see as the odd man out?
Jan. 18 at 11:38 a.m.
Quoting: MTLaveragefan
Then which one would you be willing to trade? You can't play talent guys on a 4th line... a team needs some balance between offense and defense. Habs have the Defense part covered... we need offense. And I understand that BUF is living the opposite - no problem scoring goals, but they need help keeping the puck of the net.

Quinn is already a second liner though….
wojme, Andy_Dick and Shibbal18 liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:39 a.m.
the sabres have such a stacked prospect pool, only think they need really is RD. And defensive minded one, so the only thing we have close to offer them to get one of their top prospect is a top prospect of our own, which is reinbacher, and at that point it doesnt make much sense for us anymore.
wojme, Shibbal18, gretzkyghosts and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:40 a.m.

Jack Quinn isn't playing 4th line minutes and is one of the best scorers on the team that also is defensively responsible. You want a swap of defense and offense? You're looking at a prospect swap with reinbacher. Aka savoie for reinbacher. You have to make it worth it for the Sabres. Just because they have a plethora of offensive prospects, doesn't mean they are going to kill the quality they have.
Shibbal18 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:45 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: Lsendel3
Quinn is already a second liner though….

But he's soon gonna get pressure from JJP, Benson, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund and Rosen. That's what I'm saying. Quinn might be better than most of them - even if you get rid of Skinner and Tuch - you'll still have some odd man out.

TT, Cozens, Mitts, Quinn - you have 2 spot left if you get rid of Skinner and Tuch (none left if you keep them) - can't fit them all. Hell you can't fit them all in the top 9.

So then, between JJP, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund and Rosen, which one is expendable? (we will remove Benson.., because he's already too damn good)
Just_A_Guess liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:48 a.m.
I post sometimes
Jack Quinn isn't playing 4th line minutes and is one of the best scorers on the team that also is defensively responsible. You want a swap of defense and offense? You're looking at a prospect swap with reinbacher. Aka savoie for reinbacher. You have to make it worth it for the Sabres. Just because they have a plethora of offensive prospects, doesn't mean they are going to kill the quality they have.

I don't know if Savoie is a 1 for 1 with Reinbacher... RHD come at a premium.
Jan. 18 at 11:50 a.m.
I don't know if Savoie is a 1 for 1 with Reinbacher... RHD come at a premium.

So do top line centers
Jan. 18 at 11:52 a.m.
But he's soon gonna get pressure from JJP, Benson, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund and Rosen. That's what I'm saying. Quinn might be better than most of them - even if you get rid of Skinner and Tuch - you'll still have some odd man out.

TT, Cozens, Mitts, Quinn - you have 2 spot left if you get rid of Skinner and Tuch (none left if you keep them) - can't fit them all. Hell you can't fit them all in the top 9.

So then, between JJP, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund and Rosen, which one is expendable? (we will remove Benson.., because he's already too damn good)

Quinn, JJP, Benson, and probably Kulich are the non-expendable ones. Buffalo probably plans on running a fast top 9 instead of a traditional top 6. I know what you are trying to do, you just picked the wrong one in Quinn to target. Quinn isn’t going to be pushed out of a top 6 spot and if he does, that third line is going to be stacked. As for whom to trade target, you’ll have better conversations about others, not the trigger man for Cozens and JJP
MTLaveragefan liked this.
Jan. 18 at 11:54 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

No. Savoie is not even close to Reinbacher. Now Kulich on the other hand...
Jan. 18 at 11:55 a.m.
I post sometimes
So do top line centers

He isn't one yet. and in any case, I think you are missing the point... we don't want the pick of the litter... we want to runt.. the odd one out.
Jan. 18 at 11:57 a.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: Lsendel3
Quinn, JJP, Benson, and probably Kulich are the non-expendable ones. Buffalo probably plans on running a fast top 9 instead of a traditional top 6. I know what you are trying to do, you just picked the wrong one in Quinn to target. Quinn isn’t going to be pushed out of a top 6 spot and if he does, that third line is going to be stacked. As for whom to trade target, you’ll have better conversations about others, not the trigger man for Cozens and JJP

That's what I'm trying to find out from you guys ahahah!

I got the message about Quinn - now I'm trying to pinpoint the more appropriate target cheers
Jan. 18 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: jonh514

The larger problem here is he didnt trade for a buffalo prospect, he traded for a guy in the top six lol

And the none of our prospects are for sale bit isn't fan driven. Kevyn Adams has been GM for like 4 years now and the most notable prospect he's dealt is Josh Bloom, an ECHLer. Its just not something they are interested in doing. Let alone with a division rival.

They're just gunna wait to see who fits where.
BUFF36, Shibbal18, wojme and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 18 at 12:21 p.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: Stadel
The larger problem here is he didnt trade for a buffalo prospect, he traded for a guy in the top six lol

And the none of our prospects are for sale bit isn't fan driven. Kevyn Adams has been GM for like 4 years now and the most notable prospect he's dealt is Josh Bloom, an ECHLer. Its just not something they are interested in doing. Let alone with a division rival.

They're just gunna wait to see who fits where.

I guess we will see in 2-3 years when the ELCs are up.
Jan. 18 at 12:22 p.m.
I guess we will see in 2-3 years when the ELCs are up.

yeah thats pretty much it. Eventually theyll have given out enough long term post ELC deals and whoever doesn't bridge will likely get dealt. Presumably by a different GM.
Jan. 18 at 12:24 p.m.
"TT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Mitts, JJP, Benson, Kulich, savoie, ostlund, Quinn and Rosen. "

Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund and Rosen aren't even NHL players yet. They are all 20 or under. I'm guessing they will all be in the AHL next year, getting recalled due to injury.

Suddenly 12 players becomes 8.
Jan. 18 at 12:25 p.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: worldwidesensei
"TT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Mitts, JJP, Benson, Kulich, savoie, ostlund, Quinn and Rosen. "

Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund and Rosen aren't even NHL players yet. They are all 20 or under. I'm guessing they will all be in the AHL next year, getting recalled due to injury.

Suddenly 12 players becomes 8.

Well, I guess it depends on BUF wanting to compete next year or not.
Jan. 18 at 12:41 p.m.
Well, I guess it depends on BUF wanting to compete next year or not.

Of course they want to compete. The best way to do that is to keep rookies off the team.
Jan. 18 at 12:45 p.m.
Shibbal18
Lets see - Beck who is the perfect 3rd C - granted he's a forward... but a different type of forward that BUf needs.

Then Barron... OH WELL look at that a TOP 4 RHD rookie!

Tuch is a throw in because I like the idea of reuniting brothers.

Also - It doesn't have to be Quinn - this AGM is more to shop around and test the water. Then IF NOT QUINN, who would you be willing to trade? We have a ton of defensive prospect and picks.

Ostland >> Beck
Jokiharju > Barron only 2.5 years younger
Tuch a throw in as you said
Reinbacher is the only prospect that would keep KA on the phone
BUFF36 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll