SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Z0ras Midseason 2024 Rankings

Z0ras Midseason 2024 Rankings

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Jan. 31 at 7:13 p.m.
Description
After watching more prospects I decided to update my draft board.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Macklin Celebrini
Last Ranking: #1, Tier 1. Celebrini is a dual-threat offensive threat who is mainly known for his goal-scoring. But his playmaking is just as good and Celebrini has a solid 200-ft game. Also has above average skating. Ever since the WJC, Celebrini hasn’t looked back in terms of production. Off the puck Celebrini does need to work on his decision making. He has star potential, at most he will be a 90+ point guy in the NHL.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Artyom Levshunov
Last Ranking: #2, Tier 1. While most think Celebrini is the unanimous choice for 1st overall, Levshunov isn’t far behind. I think Levshunov has a chance to be drafted over Celebrini given his two-way game. Does need to work on his positioning with and without the puck, but to make up for it, Levshunov can pass the puck out of difficult areas. His shot is his best asset and he has great size at 6’2” and can skate well.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Cole Eiserman
Last Ranking: #7, Tier 2. Ok, hear me out. I know a lot of people are writing Eiserman off, but putting up a goal per game is incredibly rare. And yes, his defensive game isn’t at the level you want it at, but lately it seems that NHL coaches have gotten players to buy in defensively. Take JT Miller for example. His defensive game was abysmal last year and he didn’t have the right attitude, but under new leadership that has changed. Eiserman is in a similar situation, so I don’t see the defensive game as of a problem. His ability to score goals is undeniable and he has insane skill offensively. He just needs to improve his agility, he tends to be straight-lined often. If given the proper coach and/or development process, Eiserman should be a fun player to watch in the long run.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
Trevor Connelly
Last Ranking: #8, Tier 2. Another strange take, but Connelly’s skating and production alone is enough to warrant a top 5 spot. Yes, he did have off-ice issues as a 15-year-old, but he has managed to own it every step of the way. He is currently on most teams “do not draft” list, but he is ideally the best skater in the draft and an amazing goal-scorer. And I value skating a lot while ranking players. Reminds me of Jack Hughes, Connelly can basically do everything for you offensively.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Anton Silayev
Last Ranking: #12, Tier 2. One of the biggest risers in my rankings, after watching more highlights, I’ve noticed that he has a knack of joining the rush and/or pinching the o-zone using great speed. And he also has amazing size at 6’7” and can skate really well considering the big frame. The combination of size and speed is really hard to find in prospects, that alone is enough to justify a top 10 selection.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Cayden Lindstrom
Last Ranking: #3, Tier 2. Lindstrom is basically the same player as Silayev, however he is less in value being a winger. I find that defenseman are more valuable than wingers, you need solid defense to win you games. Lindstrom also has the combination of size and speed, he’s a gritty power forward that is sound defensively as well.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Ivan Demidov
Last Ranking: #6, Tier 2. This is high upside at 7th. I would say Demidov is the best passer in the draft, but he has deceptive skating and an above average shot. I also love his 200-ft game and the fact that he never takes a shift off defensively. Whenever healthy, this is a really consistent player, but the only problem is that the Russian factor is in play. Also he is a liability in his own end, Demidov is slow with making decisions off the puck, often leaving the passing option wide open.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Zeev Buium
Last Ranking: #4, Tier 2. Buium really proved that he’s legit during the WJC, showcasing a strong two-way game. He has deceptive offensive skills and is actually really smart defensively. Can control the gaps smartly and stick check well. He just lacks physicality in his game, and I don’t think that could translate into the NHL.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Sam Dickinson
Last Ranking: #5, Tier 2. Dickinson is a monster defensively, he is known to give the opposition a hard time without the puck. Uses his size well and doesn’t shy away from a hit. Also not afraid to muck it up in the corners. Offensively, he does have the tools, but its not as dynamic as his defense. His shot may be accurate, but it definitely isn’t the most powerful out there. I see a lot of Ivan Provorov in this kid.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Berkly Catton
Last Ranking: #10, Tier 3. Catton’s skill and smarts alone are enough to crack the top 10. I love his play driving ability, he’s a wizard with the puck and has a booming shot along with above average skating ability. His presence near the end boards is threatening, you do not want to play against him defensively in that area. I see a lot of Brayden Point in this kid, undersized center with speed and slick mitts.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Konsta Helenius
Last Ranking: #9, Tier 3. Helenius is a similar player to Catton, except less consistent. He’s been great against men but not so much while playing against his own age group. Helenius is another play driving center with a booming shot and insane mitts. Always does the right things offensively. However, he isn’t as physically imposing as you would like, there are a lot of games where he doesn’t use the body as much. A good comparable for Helenius would be Jonathan Huberdeau.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Michael Brandsegg Nygard
Last Ranking: #11, Tier 3. Brandsegg-Nygard’s draft season reminds me of David Reinbacher’s. An under the radar prospect who only started gaining attraction after the WJC. And after being the guy carrying his team. Brandsegg-Nygard was the main reason why Norway didn’t have trouble scoring goals, he’s a skilled power forward with a booming shot and size at 6’1”. Can skate well but needs to improve his effort away from the puck.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Igor Chernyshov
Last Ranking: #14, Tier 4. Yes, the production hasn’t been there, but whenever the offense is there, Chernyshov is a top 10 player in the draft. He had a solid season last year, and came into this season ranked in that range. Strong power forward who loves to go hard nosed to the net and is more than willing to muck it up in the corners. He is also a menace during 1 on 1 situations and Chernyshov has a booming shot. Also uses his size well.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Liam Greentree
Last Ranking: #29, Tier 4. Here we have the biggest riser on my board. Production alone, Greentree belongs in the top 15. Super skilled offensively, but mainly plays a power forward style. Has size and can shoot the puck from anywhere. Also has amazing playmaking, making for a more well-rounded offensive toolkit. He is slow however, making him hard to bet on during the backcheck. But he does use his size to forecheck well. Overall, a skilled player that will be fun to watch down the road.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Emil Hemming
Last Ranking: #16, Tier 4. Very interesting player as Hemming is in my opinion the best defensive forward in the draft. I see a lot of Elias Lindholm, solid 3-zone player that can do a lot of things right without the puck. His offense isn’t really dynamic by any means, he has a lethal shot and high motor, but he’s selfish with the puck. He doesn’t pass the puck as much.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-
Matvei Shuravin
Last Ranking: #13, Tier 4. This may be a bit high for some, but Shuravin’s defensive game plus skating alone are enough to warrant a top 20 pick. Insanely dynamic defensively, has great size at 6’3”, and can skate well. Offensively, the upside is there, but Shuravin tends to lose the puck a lot while inside the o-zone, resulting in a costly turnover.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
Tij Iginla
Last Ranking: #20, Tier 4. I see a lot of Anze Kopitar in this kid’s game. Iginla is a dynamic three-zone forward that is more than willing to muck it up in the corners. Thinks the game well, has a booming shot, and plays with strength. He’s actually really good on the net front during the power play as well, he can give goalies a hard time up close. He just needs to improve his 4-way agility, Iginla is more of a straight-line player.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Carter Yakemchuk
Last Ranking: #18, Tier 4. Yakemchuk is a Brent Burns type defender, purely offensive with size. Tall kid, booming shot, aggressive near the o-zone boards, and can pass the puck. Yakemchuk just needs to refine his defensive game, he tends to be one step behind the puck carrier. I see top 4 upside in Yakemchuk.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Zayne Parekh
Last Ranking: #19, Tier 4. Parekh is basically the definition of an offensive defender. He’s also the best puck mover in the draft. His offensive upside is very high, but the same can’t be said for his defensive upside. Its very low, I often get Dragicevic vibes when watching this kid off the puck. Everyone last year thought Dragicevic was a top 15 player in the draft, but he fell to the end of the 2nd round. Given his dynamic puck handling and insane point production alone, I don’t think Parekh falls to the 2nd round, but I see being drafted lower than what most people have him. Quinn Hughes type defender, Parekh has top 4 upside.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Nikita Artamonov
Last Ranking: #17, Tier 4. The kid I compare most to Fabian Zetterlund, Artamonov plays with poise, offensive skill, and strength. He does have the upside of a top 15 pick, but what needs big improvement is his skating. He’s not only slow, but he also needs to need on his agility.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Cole Hutson
Last Ranking: #14, Tier 4. The reports and scout analysis on Hutson are basically noise. He’s underestimated because of his size and lack of production, but we all saw what happened with Lane Hutson. The reason why Hutson’s offensive production isn’t there is because he’s working on improving his play away from the puck, making for a two-way option. Cole is also a really good skater and barely needs any space to make plays. He does need to keep working on his play off the puck and get stronger in order to reach his top 4 potential.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Adam Jiricek
Last Ranking: #22, Tier 4. Jiricek is a similar player to brother David and totally worth taking in the top 15, but he’s ranked relatively low due to injury concerns and lack of offensive production. But whenever he’s healthy, Jiricek uses his size well, has a booming shot, and a strong skater. Aside from his shot, Jiricek isn’t too dynamic offensively, but he’s insanely smart defensively.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-
Aron Kiviharju
Last Ranking: #21, Tier 4. Kiviharju is in a similar situation to Jiricek. Once viewed as the top prospect of this draft, Kiviharju has seen his stock fall rapidly due to constant injuries and bouncing around leagues. But he’s a dynamic offensive defenseman with fluid skating and a booming shot. A bit on the small side at 5’9”, but Kiviharju does tend to use his body a lot.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Henry Mews
Last Ranking: #24, Tier 5. Mews is the kid I compare a lot to Jared Spurgeon. Solid 3-zone defender but shows very little consistency with the puck. But really skilled off the puck.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Sacha Boisvert
Last Ranking: #28, Tier 5. Boisvert has been inconsistent and his skating needs major improvement. But outside of that, Boisvert is a strong two-way forward who plays smart whenever the effort is there.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey Devils
Maxim Masse
Last Ranking: #27, Tier 5. Could see Masse rising even more as he has the tools that a GM wants in a prospect. A worse version of Lindstrom as Masse needs to work on his skating.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Luke Misa
Last Ranking: #30, Tier 5. The upside for Luke compared to his brother (a projected top 3 pick in 2025) is much lower, but he has the tools to become a solid bottom six center. Just needs to use his frame more, but has the making of a two-way forward.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins
Charlie Elick
Last Ranking: #32, Tier 5. This kid reminds me of Dylan DeMelo in many ways. Plays with size and has tremendous shutdown ability. However, the offensive upside is a giant question mark.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas Stars
EJ Emery
Last Ranking: unranked, Tier 5. Similar player to Elick, except less productive. At this point, Emery projects as a skilled shutdown defender. If his upside offensively can improve, I see him rising up the boards.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
Terik Parascak
Last Ranking: #25, Tier 5. Reminds me of Nikita Kucherov, skilled playmaker with a decent shot. Plays with poise and never takes a shift off. Though Parascak does need to improve his skating and take less dumb infractions via stick.
31Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Florida Panthers
Tanner Howe
Last Ranking: #26, Tier 5. This kid had the pedigree of a top 10 pick in the beginning of the year, but was jumped by players with stronger first halves of their respective seasons. The big question is solved: would Howe be productive with Bedard on the team? Howe hasn't looked back, he's still a very productive offensive threat, pure playmaker with an above average shot. Does however lack size and physicality. Reminds me of Patrick Kane in many ways.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
Kamil Bednarik
Last Ranking: #31, Tier 5. Another underrated prospect and another hot take. But the skill offensively Bednarik brings every game is incredible and skating is dynamic. Could rise up even more, he's currently PPG in the USHL. While the skill with the puck is there, sometimes Bednarik is selfish, avoiding the finishing shot. Reminds me of Mikko Rantanen.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Anthony Cristoforo
Tier 6
34Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Clarke Caswell
Tier 6
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Hagen Burrows
Tier 6
36Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
Andrew Basha
Tier 6
37Logo of the Tampa Bay LightningLogo of the Montreal Canadiens
Beckett Sennecke
Tier 6
38Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Dean Letourneau
Tier 6
39Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
Michael Hage
Tier 6
40Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Ryder Ritchie
Tier 6
41Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Adam Jecho
Tier 7
42Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis Blues
Will Skahan
Tier 7
43Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
Pano Fimis
Tier 7
44Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Eric Olsson
Tier 7
45Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
46Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
47Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Nashville Predators
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-
49Logo of the New York Islanders-
50Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
51Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
52Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
53Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
54Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
55Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Rangers
56Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
57Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
58Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
60Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
61Logo of the Dallas Stars-
62Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
63Logo of the Florida Panthers-
64Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Jan. 31 at 7:14 p.m.
power forward
Jan. 31 at 7:15 p.m.
power forward
Sharkie69 liked this.
Jan. 31 at 7:15 p.m.
power forward
Jan. 31 at 7:20 p.m.
Quoting: Z0ra
NHLfan10506 Sharkie69 capsleafs447

Connelly just got injured …looked really bad
csick and Z0ra liked this.
Jan. 31 at 7:25 p.m.
Here is the Connelly injury

But I like the Jack Hughes comp
Z0ra liked this.
Jan. 31 at 7:50 p.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Honestly, looking at the rankings change month to month, this is one of the more polarizing drafts in a while. I thought the 2022 draft was hard to predict, its nothing compared to 2024
Kyle_Okposo_Lover and LIRIK liked this.
Jan. 31 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: Caufield
Honestly, looking at the rankings change month to month, this is one of the more polarizing drafts in a while. I thought the 2022 draft was hard to predict, its nothing compared to 2024

And at this point in 2022, Wright was still “the guy”. Olympics hadn’t started yet. The real moving period hasn’t happened yet.
Caufield liked this.
Jan. 31 at 8:10 p.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Quoting: NHLfan10506
And at this point in 2022, Wright was still “the guy”. Olympics hadn’t started yet. The real moving period hasn’t happened yet.

That means we might see some mid 20s guy rise in the draft possibly. Slaf was like 10 before the Olympics then his play improved a lot with the Olympics and after and popped to top 3. If a guy like MBN or Hemming picks it up a bit, they could shoot in the convos
Jan. 31 at 8:16 p.m.
That means we might see some mid 20s guy rise in the draft possibly. Slaf was like 10 before the Olympics then his play improved a lot with the Olympics and after and popped to top 3. If a guy like MBN or Hemming picks it up a bit, they could shoot in the convos

Maybe not the same stage as Olympics (and Wright was a dud for a while that year). But that would be fun.

Nico moved up into top-2 around this time in 2017 too (Patrick had been hurt and Nico was coming off solid WJC).

In 2013, it was Nate, then Seth, then Nate again…and I think around Feb 1 was when it looked like Seth.

I don’t know who is rising the fastest right now…maybe Iginla.
Caufield liked this.
Jan. 31 at 8:19 p.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
Maybe not the same stage as Olympics (and Wright was a dud for a while that year). But that would be fun.

Nico moved up into top-2 around this time in 2017 too (Patrick had been hurt and Nico was coming off solid WJC).

In 2013, it was Nate, then Seth, then Nate again…and I think around Feb 1 was when it looked like Seth.

Iginla is a good shout, but can't see him make it in the top 10. If there is a teen pick that can make the top 10, imo its Hemming, maybe MBN
Jan. 31 at 8:22 p.m.
And at this point in 1978, it was Babych…before Bobby Smith went on the craziest scoring runs in junior history…and climbed his way to #1oa
Jan. 31 at 8:29 p.m.
Iginla is a good shout, but can't see him make it in the top 10. If there is a teen pick that can make the top 10, imo its Hemming, maybe MBN

I could see Iginla peak out at around 9-10. But his trajectory is fairly steep.

The only guy I see catching Celebrini is Levshunov. BU has lost three straight games, and at times, Celebrini was humbled in BC series. But probably sticking through that low while still at #1 probably would show his grip on the spot.
Caufield liked this.
Jan. 31 at 8:35 p.m.
power forward

I just saw the clip, and YIKES. Thats at least 2-3 months.
Jan. 31 at 9:07 p.m.
power forward

Its really hard to predict from the 12th-25th range and the whole second round.
Caufield liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:08 p.m.
power forward

Something like that could happen around the World Championship.
Caufield liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:10 p.m.
power forward

Its unfortunate because I believe he's top 5 in the draft but even worse is that he's on everyone's do not draft list. I see him falling, but I would be shocked if he got drafted outside the top 10.
Jan. 31 at 9:10 p.m.
power forward

Honestly I think the fastest riser is either Iginla or Greentree.
Jan. 31 at 10:05 p.m.
Its unfortunate because I believe he's top 5 in the draft but even worse is that he's on everyone's do not draft list. I see him falling, but I would be shocked if he got drafted outside the top 10.

Seeing him, with top wingers, in best-v-best at U18 will be his moment.
Jan. 31 at 11:11 p.m.
mokumboi
Connelly is damn near a straw and his game is anything but rounded. Putting him so high is wild.
Z0ra and Playersoverpayed liked this.
Jan. 31 at 11:51 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: mokumboi
Connelly is damn near a straw and his game is anything but rounded. Putting him so high is wild.

It's higher than what a lot of people have him but he's the best skater in the draft and I value skating a lot while making rankings. Also his production is nearly identical to Celebrini's.
Feb. 1 at 12:50 a.m.
mokumboi
It's higher than what a lot of people have him but he's the best skater in the draft and I value skating a lot while making rankings. Also his production is nearly identical to Celebrini's.

Nah, right before you someone had him 6th. And either Wheeler or Pronman had him around that high. But tons of guys produce in college. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll continue that way in the pros. Hey, maybe he does great, but is he a better prospect than, say, Dickinson? Or Silyaev? That's seems super far fetched.
Playersoverpayed and Z0ra liked this.
Feb. 1 at 1:21 a.m.
Here is the Connelly injury

But I like the Jack Hughes comp

I've told you more than once. 156 (or 161) lbs, speedy skaters are very likely to get injured. If he would have 20-25lbs more, he wouldn't spin around.
Z0ra liked this.
Feb. 1 at 2:10 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
I've told you more than once. 156 (or 161) lbs, speedy skaters are very likely to get injured. If he would have 20-25lbs more, he wouldn't spin around.

When Connor got injured he fell in a similar way. He's 6'1'' 183 lbs. Size doesn't really matter, given Connellys skill and the current scope of the NHL, where smaller players are finding success, it makes me believe that his size isn't a problem.
Playersoverpayed liked this.
Feb. 1 at 2:43 a.m.
When Connor got injured he fell in a similar way. He's 6'1'' 183 lbs. Size doesn't really matter, given Connellys skill and the current scope of the NHL, where smaller players are finding success, it makes me believe that his size isn't a problem.

It's all about the size difference. If NHL forward has 190lbs and NHL D-man has 220lbs, D-man will win 70% of puck battles and 90% of body-on-body battles. If heavier D-man uses his stick to create moment of inertia on lighter forward, forward has no chance. What he can do is just to learn how to fall down to reduce a chance of injury. In Connelly's case it was unfortunate he hit the pipe with his leg. But if you have 20 lbs less than opponent and you're going deep into a triangle with a goalie and D-man, you're asking for a trouble. It might be attractive, but it often cost you a lot.
Feb. 1 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: Playersoverpayed

Connelly's current draft profile (6'1" 160 lbs) is really not as much of a ding as you many think. Especially when you consider that he is one of the best skaters in his draft class. He is not someone where injury risk will be an unusually high factor. If anything, making defenders miss is one of his better attributes.

He was hurt two nights ago on a fluky play where he was spun around into the goal post (turns out there was no major injury). But it did exemplify his willingness and ability to skate into high traffic areas. As did his goal moments prior.

Also, he probably enters NHL around 6'1" 180 lbs. Size would not be a problem.

Here are some notable names and their CSS listed height/weights from there draft years. How many of them did you disqualify before their draft?

Johnny Gaudreau (2011): 5'6" -- 137 lbs
Reilly Smith (2009): 6'0" -- 157 lbs
Brayden Point (2014): 5'10" -- 160 lbs
Mitch Marner (2015): 5'11" -- 160 lbs
Joel Farabee (2018): 6'0" -- 162 lbs

Nikolaj Ehlers (2014): 5'11" -- 162 lbs
Nikita Kucherov (2011): 5'10" -- 163 lbs
Cole Caufield (2019): 5'7" -- 163 lbs
Artturi Lehkonen (2013): 5'10" -- 163 lbs
Elias Pettersson (2017): 6'1" -- 164 lbs

Clayton Keller (2016): 5'10" -- 164 lbs
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2011): 6'0" -- 164 lbs