Forums/Armchair-GM

Worst Contracts Controversial Sorry

Created by: TM11
Team: 2023-24 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2024
Published: Feb. 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know this is going to make a lot of yall made so I will say this, this is not just based on the current contract but the effect it has/will have on the teams and their future plans, I will talk about the ones I know will be controversial
NJD- Dougie has been really good for the Devils the issue lies with the young D in Hughes, Nemec, and Casey, 3 guys that will be more than capable of running an NHL PP this/next year because the 2 of them already do. Dougie is a good offensive D but the Devils will soon be paying 9 Mil to a sub-par Defender for the next 4 years that might not even be on the PP. Timo's fit after the deadline already concerned me because when you have a go from the go-to-all all situations guy to needing to find a role on a contender and play the right way we see production dip and I frankly cannot see Timo ever being more than a 65-75 point physical presence in NJ
LAK- Danualt is the best shutdown center in the NHL, Byfield did/does have one of the brightest futures as a center in the NHL. singing Danualt for that long after already drafting Byfield, Turcotte, and Kupari seemed puzzling. Danualt provides everything he's asked for in the middle of the ice. But with Kupari, and Turcotte never getting full shots in the NHL and Byfield on the wing currently not developing at center it begs the question of was signing Danualt to make the team competitive for early playoff exits is worth creating a jam in the middle of the ice, Dubios is obvious lmao
DET- Y'all literally signed the same person back-to-back offseason. Elite 3cs and low-end 2cs. Not bad players but if you really want to try and win. a cup I dont think all that money into the C position for those players is good
OTT- Chabot again is a good player but with Sanderson already locked up it is looking like Chychrun will have to be dealt for cap reasons and I know if Ottawa could keep 2/3 for the next 8 years it would be Sanderson & Chychrun, not Chabot and his subpar D
WSH- I am a Caps fan and I love Wilson and all he does and has brought to DC. But the list of big Powerforwards that play that rugged style game and have already had a torn acl and will return value on a contract 8 years into the future is very minimal , Darcy also was signed to keep us in contention for at least 2-3 years and hes already not the best goalie on our team
NYI- IDK who Lou is doing, at the same time once these deals are bad the iles will be out of contention anyway so they aren't terrible just weird
CGY- Huby you already know
MTL- Yall already know, wonder if Anderson can still fetch a first though lmao
Sj- Vlassic yall already know, Couture isn't bad just 4 years left at 8, and he's getting up there in age. At the same time SJ doesn't look to be contending anytime soon and given Couture is arguably one of the best playoff performers in like 2 years they could trade him at like 50% retained for a haul
ANA- Similar to SJ i doubt Killer's contract will affect yall when you actually need to spend and he is definitely a good leader just a massive overpay. Gibson was an elite goalie for years ago, now after November the last couple years it looks like he's stopped trying and just lives off his name
CBJ- Yall already know
STL- I honestly do not watch yall enough, this is just based on Krug's offseason trade denial, then boxscore watching Parayko, Binninton also always seems to have similar stats as his backups which seems like he isn't worth the money
NYR- Yall love him as your captain, but I dont think 8 Mil is what you pay a locker room guy
EDM- Yall already know
PIT- The last thing the pens needed this offseason was another Offensive RHD who couldn't play defense (already had Letang), so yall got a more injury-prone and expensive version and kept Letang, just never seemed like a fit
SEA- Yall already know
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
32$83,500,000$217,341,667$0$0-$133,841,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$8,800,000$8,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New York Islanders
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$5,100,000$5,100,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New York Rangers
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$9,250,000$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9 at 7:05 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Rags21
And I’d bet if ranger got Hughes or Nemec or anyone else the devils drafted, they would be buried and not developed well lol

Same goes for Kakko being drafted by a bottom feeder and getting top line minutes from the get go

Kakko was drafted to a bottom feeder. The rags won 32 games the year of the kakko draft, the devils won 31. Quit acting like it's some vastly different scenario
Feb. 9 at 7:06 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
You're the one who mentioned "positional competition"

You pointed out 1 year playoffs for the devils, yet claim Kakko and Laffy were drafted to contenders (they didn't make the playoffs until year 3 of their NHL careers).

You claim the devils didn't have any positional competition.
Mercer plays the same position as Jack and Nico. Can't think of any tougher comp than that. So he moved to a different position, where the team still had Jesper Bratt and earned it.

I just listed all the positional competition for Laffy Kakko and chytil unless you’re too blind and dumb to see 😂

Also compare minutes and powerplay 1 time between Hughes/Hirschier vs Laffy/Kakko/chytil early in their careers, and let me know who was given the time and position to succeed. I am really curious…..

Also let’s not act like Laffy isn’t good this year lol
Feb. 9 at 7:07 p.m.
Kakko was drafted to a bottom feeder. The rags won 32 games the year of the kakko draft, the devils won 31. Quit acting like it's some vastly different scenario

Let’s hear the minutes difference between Hughes and Kakko as well if they played special teams and where in the lineup there were. Please pull up that info
Feb. 9 at 7:11 p.m.
How are you devils doing this year? Running out of excuses?

Wah injuries, wah goalie, wah coaching

Better be careful because Hirschier and Hughes following chytil injury footsteps being made of glass….

Devils core is 25 & under
Rangers core is 30 & over

I wouldn't trade our position for yours in a million years
Feb. 9 at 7:12 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Devils core is 25 & under
Rangers core is 30 & over

I wouldn't trade our position for yours in a million years

Literally wasn’t the question I asked you 😂

I live in the present unlike you devils fans
Feb. 9 at 7:15 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Let’s hear the minutes difference between Hughes and Kakko as well if they played special teams and where in the lineup there were. Please pull up that info

Hughes played 15 minutes a night year 1. Kakko played 14. Lafreniere played 14. None of these teams made the playoffs. None of them made the playoffs in year 2 either.

Earn your minutes.

Hischier got 16 playing 1C on a playoff team as a rookie. Also had 18 goals 42 points 5v5. Both of those metrics ranked him 34th in the league. Nico was fantastic right off the bat. He EARNED those minutes, on a playoff team that he was the 2nd best player on.
Feb. 9 at 7:21 p.m.
Literally wasn’t the question I asked you 😂

I live in the present unlike you devils fans

That is because , unlike the Rangers, we have a future
Feb. 9 at 7:22 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
That is because , unlike the Rangers, we have a future

Really bright figure with 2 made of glass centers, overpaid Meier and 0 goaltending. Really scared
Feb. 9 at 7:24 p.m.
Hughes played 15 minutes a night year 1. Kakko played 14. Lafreniere played 14. None of these teams made the playoffs. None of them made the playoffs in year 2 either.

Earn your minutes.

Hischier got 16 playing 1C on a playoff team as a rookie. Also had 18 goals 42 points 5v5. Both of those metrics ranked him 34th in the league. Nico was fantastic right off the bat. He EARNED those minutes, on a playoff team that he was the 2nd best player on.

Lmao funny now you compared only year 1….keep going you’ll see that Hughes was prioritized and Laffy/Kakko weren’t

Yea earn your minutes, but at the end of the day the coach chooses to play you or not. And the rangers were stuck with Quinn and Gallant lol….
Feb. 9 at 7:40 p.m.
we miss leo k
Kreider and Panarin ahead of Laffy
Mika and Strome and trocheck ahead of chytil
Buchy and Blackwell and Fast and Hunt ahead of Kakko lol

The coaches REFUSED to put any of them in a position to succeed

look i'm not trying to get too involved in this regional feud but if your #2OA is lower on the depth chart than guys like Jesper Fast, Colin Blackwell, and Dryden Hunt(?) I'm gonna start having my doubts about him
dgibb10 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Feb. 9 at 7:40 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Danault vs McDavid

When you have to face McDavid regularly with a good chance of running into him in the playoffs, Danault is worth it.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 9 at 8:02 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
look i'm not trying to get too involved in this regional feud but if your #2OA is lower on the depth chart than guys like Jesper Fast, Colin Blackwell, and Dryden Hunt(?) I'm gonna start having my doubts about him

Like I’ve said above, you think Kakko chooses to be on the 3rd line below all those guys? Lol no. That’s why Ranger fans didn’t like Quinn or Gallant. And now Lavi is favoring the corpse of Wheeler over Kakko
Feb. 9 at 8:25 p.m.
we miss leo k
Like I’ve said above, you think Kakko chooses to be on the 3rd line below all those guys? Lol no. That’s why Ranger fans didn’t like Quinn or Gallant. And now Lavi is favoring the corpse of Wheeler over Kakko

i mean, player development will always be a bit of chicken or the egg (does the player suck because he's not playing, or is he not playing because he sucks?) but when it's clear that the Rangers want their guys to force their hands. Laf has done it - the more he's produced, the more his TOI has increased (13:59 to 15:13 to 17:17 over the past 2+ seasons). Kakko finally looked like he broke through last season but has fallen on his face this season.

I get that coaching decisions have a lot to do with it, but at some point the talent has to win out. If he wasn't good enough in his bottom-6 role to push past the likes of Dryden Hunt and Colin Blackwell, at some point it has to be on the player.
Feb. 9 at 8:52 p.m.
i mean, player development will always be a bit of chicken or the egg (does the player suck because he's not playing, or is he not playing because he sucks?) but when it's clear that the Rangers want their guys to force their hands. Laf has done it - the more he's produced, the more his TOI has increased (13:59 to 15:13 to 17:17 over the past 2+ seasons). Kakko finally looked like he broke through last season but has fallen on his face this season.

I get that coaching decisions have a lot to do with it, but at some point the talent has to win out. If he wasn't good enough in his bottom-6 role to push past the likes of Dryden Hunt and Colin Blackwell, at some point it has to be on the player.

Yea but Kakko is weirdly the scapegoat, especially this season. Even if he’s not producing with Kreider and Mika (who are awful at 5v5), that line has great underlying analytics. But Kakko gets put on the 3rd line and now I have to watch the puck die on Wheelers stick on the top line

But I’m also not gonna sit here and say “Kakko and Laffy are so good.” They could of been franchise level players but now they’re top 6/middle 6 type players
Feb. 9 at 9:09 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I think Danault's contract is fine and Duchois will rebound next season though his contract is still a bit high and didn't think the Kings needed him.

I've always preferred Dontbois, but Duchois.... I'll allow it. wink
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 9 at 9:13 p.m.
WPG - Schmidt. Respectable 3rd pairing defenseman, but those flat cap years have made the contract number age poorly.
Feb. 9 at 10:17 p.m.
we miss leo k
Yea but Kakko is weirdly the scapegoat, especially this season. Even if he’s not producing with Kreider and Mika (who are awful at 5v5), that line has great underlying analytics. But Kakko gets put on the 3rd line and now I have to watch the puck die on Wheelers stick on the top line

But I’m also not gonna sit here and say “Kakko and Laffy are so good.” They could of been franchise level players but now they’re top 6/middle 6 type players

hey, i get it - if there's one way that islanders and rangers fans can find some common ground, it's in our current management's weird ability to do nothing with 1st round forwards
Rags21 liked this.
Feb. 10 at 12:21 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
hey, i get it - if there's one way that islanders and rangers fans can find some common ground, it's in our current management's weird ability to do nothing with 1st round forwards

The bright side is you can't give 55%+ of your cap to 5 of them
Feb. 13 at 12:13 p.m.
And I’d bet if ranger got Hughes or Nemec or anyone else the devils drafted, they would be buried and not developed well lol

Same goes for Kakko being drafted by a bottom feeder and getting top line minutes from the get go

I mean no Braden Schnieder found his way into top 4 minutes on the Rags, you just gotta be good lol, Byfield on the Kings playing L1, Jarvis on the canes playing L1 and those are both contending teams
Feb. 13 at 12:17 p.m.
Quoting: TM11
I mean no Braden Schnieder found his way into top 4 minutes on the Rags, you just gotta be good lol, Byfield on the Kings playing L1, Jarvis on the canes playing L1 and those are both contending teams

Schneider does not play top 4 minutes lol

Jarvis was put in the top 6 from day one and QB wasn’t in the top 6 until this year they put him on top line
Feb. 15 at 6:17 p.m.
Schneider does not play top 4 minutes lol

Jarvis was put in the top 6 from day one and QB wasn’t in the top 6 until this year they put him on top line

QB played last year in L1, and they didn't put Jarivs into the top 6 he earned it lol.. the rangers will i guess continue to fail at developing anyone and you'll still say its because they are contending yet wont win anything again...
Feb. 15 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: TM11
QB played last year in L1, and they didn't put Jarivs into the top 6 he earned it lol.. the rangers will i guess continue to fail at developing anyone and you'll still say its because they are contending yet wont win anything again...

Jarvis immediately was put into the top 6 with Aho and Svech. They gave him a chance to flourish

“Earn your minutes” is stupid if you want to be fired as a coach. Young top picks should be force fed big minutes if you want the player to turn out good as be a big part of your future core. Look how CBJ is playing Jircek and Fantilli….

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll