SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 3 at 2:47 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: CameronSquires
Rempe has Reaves' respect, probably glad there are some kids who will still bring it to the game

Yeah I'm sure that respect will mean something when the dementia sets in
Mar. 3 at 9:01 a.m.
Edited Mar. 3 at 9:37 a.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
taking a penalty late into OT like that to stop a prime scoring chance should be a pen shot tbh or an extension of OT. 7 secs of OT 4 on 3 is not enough

Its supposed to be, within the rule book. A penalty due to deliberate illegal substitution which cannot be served in its entirety within the legal playing time, or at any time in OT, shall be replaced with a penalty shot.

But, y'know... Leafs
Saskleaf and aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 3 at 9:52 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Yup, every source you disagree with will fall into the category of bad. Your opinion is so on point you must be a scout or GM in real life eh? Yeah let's just accept your opinion as law and ignore guys who get paid a lot of money to know this stuff.

Because you're so well known for admitting that you're wrong whenever you are and definitely never ever use people who aren't very good at analysis as your proof 🙄...
Mar. 3 at 9:56 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Its supposed to be, within the rule book. A penalty due to deliberate illegal substitution which cannot be served in its entirety within the legal playing time, or at any time in OT, shall be replaced with a penalty shot.

But, y'know... Leafs

I say, if you take a penalty in OT, the period doesn't stop until the PP is finished
Mar. 3 at 10:32 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
If u can find someone to drop Jarnkrok to the 4th line u could make a really interesting 4th line. No offense to Reaves but u dont want him every night for playoff stuff

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
McMann-JT-?
Holmberg-Kampf-Jarnkrok

The Leafs were playing Robertson there and it was working, but then Robertson got sent down because he’s waiver exempt
Mar. 3 at 10:39 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I say, if you take a penalty in OT, the period doesn't stop until the PP is finished

Or a goal (PP or SH) is scored. Another way to do it could be any penalties within the last x number of seconds of OT is a penalty shot. However, the idea you mentioned above would be easier to enforce, and more importantly, do so consistently.
Mar. 3 at 11:01 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Because you're so well known for admitting that you're wrong whenever you are and definitely never ever use people who aren't very good at analysis as your proof 🙄...

To be fair, it takes integrity to admit when you’re wrong, especially online (where there’s less accountability)
Mar. 3 at 11:42 a.m.
Rip

So smart scouts and analysts say exactly what I am saying and that isn't proof enough for you. Or the fact that there are many examples of what to am saying. Still not enough because your opinion backed up by nothing but your opinion is correct. You're great at conversations
Mar. 3 at 12:10 p.m.
Rip

Yeah that's a pretty cheap way to get out of allowing a late goal
Mar. 3 at 12:11 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: LeafsForLife
To be fair, it takes integrity to admit when you’re wrong, especially online (where there’s less accountability)

As that comment was directed to me, I have admitted that both McCabe and Benoit have surprised. I just feel that McCabe as your "shutdown defender" is not a good thing. He's not that.
Mar. 3 at 12:12 p.m.
Funniest thing I have seen is whenever I talk about the NOV blockbuster that failed due to CGY being silly people going oh Leafs would not have beat the return CGY got for Tanev + Zadorov....

They do know a 1st at min would have went back right which beats out a 2nd + 3rd + 5th (yes CGY has another conditional 3rd but its chances be low due to all the other good teams)

I recall Friedman saying (I think it was just before or just after the Zadorov deal)...that Leafs and Calgary had a deal in place for both guys...and had agreed on a value...but hadn't agreed on the value of Calgary retaining on both and that they made the Vancouver deal because they preferred not to retain.

I think the storyline that Calgary doesn't want to deal with Toronto is being ridden a little too hard. I'm sure there's a little bit of that element there...or knowing how much the other guy wants your player so you drive the bargain harder than maybe you otherwise would...but I don't buy that they were happy taking less from anyone but Toronto
Mar. 3 at 1:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 3 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
I recall Friedman saying (I think it was just before or just after the Zadorov deal)...that Leafs and Calgary had a deal in place for both guys...and had agreed on a value...but hadn't agreed on the value of Calgary retaining on both and that they made the Vancouver deal because they preferred not to retain.

I think the storyline that Calgary doesn't want to deal with Toronto is being ridden a little too hard. I'm sure there's a little bit of that element there...or knowing how much the other guy wants your player so you drive the bargain harder than maybe you otherwise would...but I don't buy that they were happy taking less from anyone but Toronto

Yep

Like rip Conroy

Could have probs got more than what he got for either guy individually but nope didnt want to deal with Tree

Oh well took market value
Mar. 3 at 2:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsForLife
The Leafs were playing Robertson there and it was working, but then Robertson got sent down because he’s waiver exempt

Come playoffs I just dont see him

Even though what they did is cap related I feel they have always been looking to upgrade.
Mar. 3 at 2:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Sad he got hurt but hey Rielly-Lyubushkin 69% xGF

To bad this league is dumb and now Rempe wont receive any discipling for what he did

Now were down another Dman and meanwhile no fine or suspension for a 6'7 guy who left his feet
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 3 at 3:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Someone asked if we could mimic the McCabe trade

I went yep there be two candidates but its up to the other team

WSH Nick Jensen and CHI Connor Murphy

I like Jensen its just the age but at 50% ret hes slightly over 2m

With the way WSH fans be treating him giving him away for a 3rd if u can get ret its an added bonus
Mar. 3 at 4:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

But, y'know... Leafs

Yep

https://twitter.com/josephdzita/status/1764152317106889030?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

And with those stick handles Marner would have probs won it lul
Mar. 3 at 4:38 p.m.
Amirov Forever
So lets say the Leafs go out and get a guy like Jensen at the TDL. Where does that leave Liljegren? Lyubushkin was deliberately acquired with double retention, so I think he's definitely going to be a frequently dressed player for the Leafs. McCabe has been utilized at RD a lot recently, and then the new guy (in this case Jensen) would presumably slot in next to Mo. So whats the deal with Lili? Do we see another Sandin-like trade? Does he get dealt to a team like Minnesota (who are reportedly willing to trade a guy like Dewar)?

I really dont want to trade him, but it seems far too likely at this point. If we were planning on using him, there wouldn't be such a huge emphasis on getting another defenseman. I think his time here is coming to an end. Sending him to Minnesota for Dewar and a 2nd would be fine
Mar. 3 at 4:53 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
So lets say the Leafs go out and get a guy like Jensen at the TDL. Where does that leave Liljegren? Lyubushkin was deliberately acquired with double retention, so I think he's definitely going to be a frequently dressed player for the Leafs. McCabe has been utilized at RD a lot recently, and then the new guy (in this case Jensen) would presumably slot in next to Mo. So whats the deal with Lili? Do we see another Sandin-like trade? Does he get dealt to a team like Minnesota (who are reportedly willing to trade a guy like Dewar)?

I really dont want to trade him, but it seems far too likely at this point. If we were planning on using him, there wouldn't be such a huge emphasis on getting another defenseman. I think his time here is coming to an end. Sending him to Minnesota for Dewar and a 2nd would be fine

I'd fire Tre on the spot if he suggested making a fairly lateral swap on D to go from Lily to Jensen, making the big add on D Boosh and simultaneously getting WAY older.
Trickster liked this.
Mar. 3 at 4:59 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I'd fire Tre on the spot if he suggested making a fairly lateral swap on D to go from Lily to Jensen, making the big add on D Boosh and simultaneously getting WAY older.

I 100% agree, I just have no idea what the Leafs are trying to do here with Liljegren. Slight typo in my post as well, I meant something like Dewar and a 1st (thus the comparison to Sandin). Keefe's constant belittling of guys like Robertson and Liljegren is extremely infuriating. Give the guys an actual spot and quit screwing around with their deployment every game. Not sure why Keefe doesn't just pair Liljegren with Rielly, to me that is the obvious solution to our problems.
Trickster liked this.
Mar. 3 at 5:13 p.m.
I 100% agree, I just have no idea what the Leafs are trying to do here with Liljegren. Slight typo in my post as well, I meant something like Dewar and a 1st (thus the comparison to Sandin). Keefe's constant belittling of guys like Robertson and Liljegren is extremely infuriating. Give the guys an actual spot and quit screwing around with their deployment every game. Not sure why Keefe doesn't just pair Liljegren with Rielly, to me that is the obvious solution to our problems.

I don't know if you can call it the obvious solution when they've gotten caved in when paired together over the past two seasons. Granted, they've been better together as far as controlling the play this year, but still getting outscored and it's quite a small sample. Also leaving the other two pairs of our D without one of our two best puck movers seems like it could end up hurting us.

The other thing is that Lily has had an actual spot. If the addition of Boosh is the reason he gets bumped out... then I don't know what to say anymore.
Mar. 3 at 5:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

If they do go get Jensen Liligren will probs be pushed down to third pair which would mean sadly Benoit as #7. Could that be the plan maybe as while McCabe has been good maybe they want everyone on their strong sides

But from what I saw last night I think the Blue line has been fine just some pairings (Benoit-Rielly) are a no no

To bad for the injury (****ing Rempe) would loved to have seen these pairings a few more times before a okay we need one more guy

As Rielly-Boosh has a 69% XGF yesterday

Like I predict either

Rielly-Boosh
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

or

Rielly-Boosh
Brodie-Jensen
McCabe-Liligren

Also none of the other D can QB a PP properly but he and Rielly. Unless u want Timmins playing in playoffs (**** NO)
Mar. 3 at 5:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 3 at 5:34 p.m.
I don't know if you can call it the obvious solution when they've gotten caved in when paired together over the past two seasons. Granted, they've been better together as far as controlling the play this year, but still getting outscored and it's quite a small sample. Also leaving the other two pairs of our D without one of our two best puck movers seems like it could end up hurting us.

The other thing is that Lily has had an actual spot. If the addition of Boosh is the reason he gets bumped out... then I don't know what to say anymore.

I cant see Boosh causing a Liligren trade as TOR would have a major issue. Who would be the PP QB for unit 2 or in the event Rielly gets hurt?

Brodie not anymore
McCabe well he did score a PP goal once but no no no
Benoit nope
Boosh nope

Unless u plan to play Timmins in Playoff games (scream ) then Liligren's a need on this team. Also Timmins may not even be healthy by then either

If Jensen comes I believe the plan would be pair him with Brodie in a shutdown role.

Like last year TOR PP QB were Rielly and Gio

Gio's after what we saw vs. ARI couldnt put weight on his leg and had a head injury. Being 40 to I think hes done.
Mar. 3 at 5:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I cant see Boosh causing a Liligren trade as TOR would have a major issue. Who would be the PP QB for unit 2 or in the event Rielly gets hurt?

Brodie not anymore
McCabe well he did score a PP goal once but no no no
Benoit nope
Boosh nope

Unless u plan to play Timmins in Playoff games (scream ) then Liligren's a need on this team. Also Timmins may not even be healthy by then either

If Jensen comes I believe the plan would be pair him with Brodie in a shutdown role.

Like last year TOR PP QB were Rielly and Gio

Gio's after what we saw vs. ARI couldnt put weight on his leg and had a head injury. Being 40 to I think hes done.

Now if they went and got Chycrun then that changes things
Mar. 3 at 9:52 p.m.
Would NJ move Dougie Hamilton?

Imagine stashing that guy on LTIR until the playoffs. Would be a big cap to try and fit next year...and I can't really see them moving him...but that would be a sly move to try and nab him
Mar. 3 at 10:28 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Yeah that's a pretty cheap way to get out of allowing a late goal

It is...

As that comment was directed to me, I have admitted that both McCabe and Benoit have surprised. I just feel that McCabe as your "shutdown defender" is not a good thing. He's not that.

When did I mention McCabe as the shutdown pair? I just said he's solid defensively and so was Benoit

And Libby's underrated in terms of his defensive play, which we saw vs NYR

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll