SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

Apr. 2 at 6:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
They'll probably add a 3rd team in Ontario now. It's better that way for them anyways.

I honestly was thinking some kind of deal with Hamilton

But hey the Toronto Growlers aint a bad idea

Feel bad for those people in Newfoundland

Hopefully something can be worked out
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Apr. 2 at 10:17 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Only four players who played for the Growlers have (or do) play in the NHL: McMann, Liljegren, Brazeau (Boston) and Johnstone (Pittsburgh). ECHL to NHL is very difficult but it's a worthwhile organization investment.

Also this had nothing do with the revenue or travel for the team, the owner was terrible. There's still hope that under a new owner they could be reinstated.

For sure it's worthwhile. Just felt like the impact and number of Leafs products to go through there was oversold in the post I quoted.
Apr. 2 at 10:32 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
I honestly was thinking some kind of deal with Hamilton

But hey the Toronto Growlers aint a bad idea

Feel bad for those people in Newfoundland

Hopefully something can be worked out

Hamilton would be ideal, but the FirstOntario Centre (formerly Copps Coliseum) is undergoing renovations and before that, the Bulldogs, Toronto Rock, and Hamilton Honey Badgers all played there, you’d pretty much need to build a new arena. The problem with an ECHL team in Toronto is I’m not sure how many people they would attract given that they would be overshadowed by the Leafs and Marlies.
Apr. 2 at 10:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsForLife
Hamilton would be ideal, but the FirstOntario Centre (formerly Copps Coliseum) is undergoing renovations and before that, the Bulldogs, Toronto Rock, and Hamilton Honey Badgers all played there, you’d pretty much need to build a new arena. The problem with an ECHL team in Toronto is I’m not sure how many people they would attract given that they would be overshadowed by the Leafs and Marlies.

Oh u would have fans if u did the same promoting as with the Marlies. Always will have fans wanting to go to games
Apr. 3 at 8:12 a.m.
WentWughes
Slaf is popping off and I couldn't be more excited for him
Apr. 3 at 11:50 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Sounds like a Collin Graf signing may be coming within the next day or two. My heart has said Bruin from the very start, but the Pens also seem like a pretty decent spot for him. Rangers have also been reported as one of the teams in pursuit, but I feel like Boston and Pittsburgh are just better situations for him.

I think he'd be an excellent DeBrusk replacement for the Bruins. Seems like a team where he would flourish
Apr. 3 at 1:47 p.m.
I keep seeing tortarella in various post game things, and there’s people on social medias bringing him up as if there is some controversy occurring? But I just see the media kinda like baiting him?

Like, “hey coach, your 4th string goalie sure did struggle eh “? “That period where your team got absolutely blown out, describe your feelings”.

Wtf is he supposed to say. The team was already overachieving then lost it’s starting goaltender, their gm made them sellers at the deadline, and every “controversial” thing I’ve seen is him answering a rhetorical question from click happy journalists.
Apr. 3 at 3:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If Landeskog comes back this playoffs its both a blessing for the Avs and a curse come next season

Kind of ironic they both could use him rn but also need him on LTIR for next season to
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 3 at 4:21 p.m.
Go leafs go
If Landeskog comes back this playoffs its both a blessing for the Avs and a curse come next season

Kind of ironic they both could use him rn but also need him on LTIR for next season to

Depends on how good he is coming back. If he’s not much worse than before that is in no way a curse.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Apr. 3 at 4:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Depends on how good he is coming back. If he’s not much worse than before that is in no way a curse.

Well he wont come back and immediately thrive with that kind of injury but still even if u had to keep him as a 4th liner his presence alone would probs be beneficial
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 3 at 4:44 p.m.
Well he wont come back and immediately thrive with that kind of injury but still even if u had to keep him as a 4th liner his presence alone would probs be beneficial

Quoting: Saskleaf

If he is 75% of the player but still 100% of the leader, we'll be happy to have him back. The cap problem would be there for a year or two and might cost us Drouin and Walker re-signing (unless they take big discounts to stay). If he was on our 3rd line with Colton-Wood that would be a great line too.

With Cal Ritchie and Sean Behrens on the horizon we hope to have at least a few guys on cheap ELCs to contribute to maintaining the window.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 3 at 4:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
If he is 75% of the player but still 100% of the leader, we'll be happy to have him back. The cap problem would be there for a year or two and might cost us Drouin and Walker re-signing (unless they take big discounts to stay). If he was on our 3rd line with Colton-Wood that would be a great line too.

With Cal Ritchie and Sean Behrens on the horizon we hope to have at least a few guys on cheap ELCs to contribute to maintaining the window.

For sure but I got a feeling we may also see some cap shedding

As if Landeskog comes back for 2024-2025 they have around 10m in cap

Mittelstadt needs an extension and using comparables its gonna be around 5.5-6.25m

So that drops that 10m cap remaining by more than half and they need to sign 4 players to meet the 20man requirement

Could they explore a Ross Colton or Josh Manson trade to free more space who knows

Gonna be interesting.
Apr. 3 at 5:33 p.m.
For sure but I got a feeling we may also see some cap shedding

As if Landeskog comes back for 2024-2025 they have around 10m in cap

Mittelstadt needs an extension and using comparables its gonna be around 5.5-6.25m

So that drops that 10m cap remaining by more than half and they need to sign 4 players to meet the 20man requirement

Could they explore a Ross Colton or Josh Manson trade to free more space who knows

Gonna be interesting.

No cap shedding needed; just can't sign Drouin or Walker (to what they are worth) Casey extended at $5.25 AAV and a healthy Landeskog and then Malinski/Jones as 3rd pair with LOC on 3rd pair and 4th liners all at min or ELCs and we're good with 21 active players (our norm).

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4958170
Apr. 3 at 6:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
No cap shedding needed; just can't sign Drouin or Walker (to what they are worth) Casey extended at $5.25 AAV and a healthy Landeskog and then Malinski/Jones as 3rd pair with LOC on 3rd pair and 4th liners all at min or ELCs and we're good with 21 active players (our norm).

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4958170

Just saying trade Colton sign a 2-2.5m C and have the cap to maybe bring Walker back

Its not a bad idea if u think about it

Like u could probs get Wennberg under 3m rn on a 1 year deal
Apr. 3 at 6:26 p.m.
Just saying trade Colton sign a 2-2.5m C and have the cap to maybe bring Walker back

Its not a bad idea if u think about it

Like u could probs get Wennberg under 3m rn on a 1 year deal

I love Walker and wish we could make the room, but sacrificing a 3C is not what I would do. If it were a bottom 6 winger that might be different (Wood).

It is a bad idea, at least when/if Cal Ritchie can be a bonafide top 9 NHL center. Malinski has shown enough to be a 3rd pair defender for us. leaving the 3C role up to a free agent fit is not what we should pursue (we have had horrible luck in the past at doing that).
Apr. 3 at 6:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I love Walker and wish we could make the room, but sacrificing a 3C is not what I would do. If it were a bottom 6 winger that might be different (Wood).

It is a bad idea, at least when/if Cal Ritchie can be a bonafide top 9 NHL center. Malinski has shown enough to be a 3rd pair defender for us. leaving the 3C role up to a free agent fit is not what we should pursue (we have had horrible luck in the past at doing that).

I mean would moving Colton and adding Wennberg really be a sacrifice

As Wennberg has not had a crazy season so I could see him 1 year 2-2.5m with the Avs

Cause adding Walker on a 3.7m deal and Wennberg on a 2.5m deal is doable if yah move Colton
Apr. 3 at 7:13 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I keep seeing tortarella in various post game things, and there’s people on social medias bringing him up as if there is some controversy occurring? But I just see the media kinda like baiting him?

Like, “hey coach, your 4th string goalie sure did struggle eh “? “That period where your team got absolutely blown out, describe your feelings”.

Wtf is he supposed to say. The team was already overachieving then lost it’s starting goaltender, their gm made them sellers at the deadline, and every “controversial” thing I’ve seen is him answering a rhetorical question from click happy journalists.

I haven't seen any post game interviews, just occasional commentary/articles on it, but based on the info you've provided, it seems like "journalists" are doing something similar to dropping a match into a barrel of oil, and then being surprised / calling it controversial when it catches fire
Apr. 3 at 7:17 p.m.
torontos finest
line brawl to start the devils/rangers game. gonna be a short bench tonight.
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 3 at 7:30 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: mondo
line brawl to start the devils/rangers game. gonna be a short bench tonight.

I went to check that on the NHL app, it says there have been 156 PIM (NJD 82, NYR 74), but there have been no penalties taken, 7 1/2 minutes into the 1st. Unsurprisingly, Matt Rempe earned 15 PIM in just 2 seconds of ice time
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 3 at 7:36 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
What happens w/ UFA Stamkos for next yr???
Apr. 3 at 7:41 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: McGruff

Leaf
McGruff liked this.
Apr. 3 at 7:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Leaf

We dont need all the big toyz except if they Dman wink
McGruff liked this.
Apr. 3 at 7:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

A long term deal less cap hit with TBL
McGruff liked this.
Apr. 3 at 7:52 p.m.

Seems like a Nashville move (if he leaves).
McGruff liked this.
Apr. 3 at 8:02 p.m.
I mean would moving Colton and adding Wennberg really be a sacrifice

As Wennberg has not had a crazy season so I could see him 1 year 2-2.5m with the Avs

Cause adding Walker on a 3.7m deal and Wennberg on a 2.5m deal is doable if yah move Colton

Wennberg is unlikely to take anything less than $3.5m AAV and even that is pretty low. He's not a 50pt player but good defensively and a decent playmaker. He also does not play at the pace that the Avs prefer. Basically he's RyJo 2.0. We are not doing that again.

Also I can't see Walker taking less than $4 5m AAV unless it's a contender discount.

So I just don't even see how the scenario even appeals to the Avs.

If Landeskog is out then we'll make a run at Drouin & Walker in that order most likely.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll