Forums/Armchair-GM

Gibsons Value

Team: 2024-25 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 18, 2024
Published: Apr. 18, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
ANA
    What is his trade value? What are the odds he gets moved?
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    15$83,500,000$48,294,167$0$8,250,000$35,205,833
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RW, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$950,000$950K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$800,000$800K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $812,500$812,500
    G
    RFA - 1
    $844,167$844,167
    LD
    RFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 18 at 3:23 p.m.
    Depends if you're one of the delusional fools that want to ignore gibsons half decade of being awful or not.
    jfkst1, athrin, JoeROFLCOPTER and 3 others liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:26 p.m.
    The Ducks don't need the cap space, and I don't think they'll sell low on Gibson. He just had another season with poor numbers through very little fault of his own.

Unless someone gives up a pretty substantial haul for him, I think Gibson will be in Anaheim for at least another season.
    GeneralLandro liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:26 p.m.
    Bandwagon fairweathe
    Not sure why someone would pay for that player and caphit, would a random mid making a million and play quarter or a third of the season, not worth more? Possibly younger with more potential going forward?
    jfkst1 and JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:28 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Gibson has been mediocre for many years now and has not been the better ANA goalie in a while. No GM that wants to keep his job will view him as anything more than a liability.
    JoeROFLCOPTER and NARC311 liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:29 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    The Ducks don't need the cap space, and I don't think they'll sell low on Gibson. He just had another season with poor numbers through very little fault of his own.

Unless someone gives up a pretty substantial haul for him, I think Gibson will be in Anaheim for at least another season.

Weren't they shopping Gibson just last summer and that's when it got out that he won't accept a trade to any Canadian market? I would bet Verbeek would trade him for future considerations if he could. He just can't because NHL GMs likely universally view Gibson as a liability.
    Apr. 18 at 3:36 p.m.
    Quoting: jfkst1
    Weren't they shopping Gibson just last summer and that's when it got out that he won't accept a trade to any Canadian market? I would bet Verbeek would trade him for future considerations if he could. He just can't because NHL GMs likely universally view Gibson as a liability.

No, it came out as a rumor last summer that Gibson had said that he would never play another game for the Ducks, and he had to come out and publicly deny that. The Ducks said they had no intention of trading him.

His numbers don't look good, but he has had one of the single worst teams in the league playing in front of him for the last several years.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:41 p.m.
    No, it came out as a rumor last summer that Gibson had said that he would never play another game for the Ducks, and he had to come out and publicly deny that. The Ducks said they had no intention of trading him.

His numbers don't look good, but he has had one of the single worst teams in the league playing in front of him for the last several years.

The problem with the 'bad team' argument is that his backups are always playing better behind that same team.
    jfkst1 and NARC311 liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:47 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    I don't think that Pat Verbeek is putting Gibson on the market. With specific reference to Detroit, the Red Wings don't have anyone in their prospect pool at RW or RD that would interest the Ducks.

I think that an exchange along the lines of Gibson, the Edmonton first, one of our 2024 seconds and one of our 2024 thirds for the Detroit 2024 first (15th overall) and 2025 second might interest both teams.
    GiggywithGibby liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:47 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: Byrr
    The problem with the 'bad team' argument is that his backups are always playing better behind that same team.

The problem with that argument is the backups are always getting the easier assignments, hence the improved stat lines.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:49 p.m.

Not significantly. Last season, Gibson put up a .899 SV%, which is almost exactly league average. The median save percentage by teams last year was .8985. Dostal put up a .901 playing a backup role (i.e. easier starts). Keep in mind that Dostal is a highly regarded young goaltender that is expected to be a quality starter in the league.

I'm not saying that Gibson should be getting Vezina votes or anything, but he's definitely still a quality goaltender in the league. I'm a Kings fan that absolutely can't stand the Ducks, and I have no problem admitting that.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 3:52 p.m.
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    The problem with that argument is the backups are always getting the easier assignments, hence the improved stat lines.

That’s not really true.. Gibby misses games every year for injuries and the backups have filled in really nicely. I think we need to accept what Gibby is. A solid starter for the 1st half of the season who can’t stay healthy and falls off during the 2nd half on a contract befitting the stats he hasn’t managed to put up across an entire season for years now

If we move Gibby we have to retain, and the team taking him needs to have a 1B because he’s now just a 1A due to the need to manage his workload if you want to be able to use him at all come playoffs.

All that said, with a competitive team in front of him and a reasonable workload, I genuinely think he can 1A a Stanley cup caliber team. When he’s healthy and rested he puts up some insane performances. There are a number of our wins this year that sit squarely on his shoulders

Value? Super hard to judge. But with retention it’d have to be at least one enticing piece because otherwise Verbeek will just keep him to mentor Dosty. We don’t have cap issues rn and he’s a leader on ANA
    Apr. 18 at 3:56 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Having looked into his advanced stats, and having watched him play extensively, his only issue is engagement. His high danger and medium danger GSAX is still up there with the best goalies in the league, it's his low danger that's been suffering, and that comes down to stuff that happens as a result of defensive lapses, blown coverage, just not getting any help from his own team.

He's clearly frustrated with getting wheeled out to take a beating behind a suffering team, the vibes aren't there a lot of the games. I've been in the same situation in beer league where I stand on my head for half the game, my team does F*** all to try and compete, and I just stop caring since no one else out there is, and I'm not going to hurt myself in a game that is already over.

As to his trade value, it's hard to know, we have no problem with salary and are very happy with a Gibson Dostal tandem, he's a great.mentor for Dostal who still yoyos from game to game with his performances. The only reason he moves is a sufficiently attractive offer or him actually demanding a trade.

As to last seasons rumors, Verbeek wasn't shopping him, Dubas was calling on him and the Toronto media went crazy on the rumour to the point Gibson's agent had to release a statement publicly stating he had no desire to go to Toronto. The rumors about Gibson never suiting up again were Frank Seravalli, who is a known rabble rouser with Anaheim info, dude hasn't been right about anything on our team, basically ever.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 4:11 p.m.
    Quoting: SociallyHawkward
    Depends if you're one of the delusional fools that want to ignore gibsons half decade of being awful or not.

Lmaooooo truth.
    jfkst1, NARC311 and JSteff5656 liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 4:18 p.m.
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby

You always say this but we broke it down before with him and stolarz and it simply wasn't true.
    jfkst1 and NARC311 liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 4:52 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"

Gibson hasn't had an above average season since 2019. That's half a decade of mediocrity- not "several years." This season Dostal played nearly the same amount as Gibson, yet noticeable outperformed him.
    Apr. 18 at 4:57 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Edited Apr. 18 at 6:06 p.m.
    You always say this but we broke it down before with him and stolarz and it simply wasn't true.

Yeah, it was, the majority of Stolarz's starts were against bottom feeders, he had some starts against better opponents, but his average level he was playing against was lower.

SV% for Stolarz, when he started the game, was 0.899, he faced 335 shots as a starter and saved 301, the average position at end of season for the games he started was 24th, his two notable starts against teams above the playoffs line was Dallas and Winnipeg. Other starts were San Jose, Chicago, Arizona, Philly, and Ottawa.

Gibson had a 0.899, never went in to relieve Stolarz, faced 1983 shots and saved 1783. The average competition he faced at end of season was 14th. He was facing above league average competition while Stolarz had only two starts above league average competition, the others were 20th or worse at end of season.

The reason Stolarz stats were artificially high is the games he went in for relief of Gibson when the game was already out of reach, and the competition took their foot off the gas.
    Apr. 18 at 5:13 p.m.
    Gibson hasn't had an above average season since 2019. That's half a decade of mediocrity- not "several years." This season Dostal played nearly the same amount as Gibson, yet noticeable outperformed him.

The Ducks have been absolutely terrible since 2019. That's no coincidence.

The Kings were terrible for 3 years while they were retooling. For each of those 3 years, Drew Doughty was "terrible," and "over the hill," and "one of the worst contracts in the NHL." This season he just finished arguably the single best season of his career.

Put a decent team in front of Gibson and he'll look every bit like the top quality goaltender he was pre-2019.
    Apr. 18 at 5:26 p.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    The Ducks have been absolutely terrible since 2019. That's no coincidence.

The Kings were terrible for 3 years while they were retooling. For each of those 3 years, Drew Doughty was "terrible," and "over the hill," and "one of the worst contracts in the NHL." This season he just finished arguably the single best season of his career.

Put a decent team in front of Gibson and he'll look every bit like the top quality goaltender he was pre-2019.

You're selectively ignoring the fact that Gibson isn't outplaying other ANA goalies in the same period with a massive sample. So no NHL front office is stupid enough to think half a decade of play isn't indicative of what the player is. And what Gibson is showing to be is an overpaid average at best soon to be 31 year old goalie. No organization is giving anything more than a liability back to Verbeek. Hence why Gibson will be staying in Anaheim to "lead" Anaheim to another bottom five season like he has done for years now.
    Apr. 18 at 5:34 p.m.
    You're selectively ignoring the fact that Gibson isn't outplaying other ANA goalies in the same period with a massive sample. So no NHL front office is stupid enough to think half a decade of play isn't indicative of what the player is. And what Gibson is showing to be is an overpaid average at best soon to be 31 year old goalie. No organization is giving anything more than a liability back to Verbeek. Hence why Gibson will be staying in Anaheim to "lead" Anaheim to another bottom five season like he has done for years now.

I'm not ignoring that. I've addressed that.

Dostal is a quality goaltender. Just like Gibson, he'd be a highly desirable asset if he were made available. His numbers are not substantially better than Gibson's.

Cal Petersen put up better numbers than Jonathan Quick when they played in a tandem. Does that make Petersen a better goaltender than Quick?

A goaltender's play behind a poor team is not indicative of how well they'd play behind a good team. An average goaltender than plays average behind a bad team won't become a quality goaltender behind a good team. A good goaltender can play poorly behind a terrible team and still be a good goaltender behind a good team.
    Apr. 18 at 6:26 p.m.
    A goaltender's play behind a poor team is not indicative of how well they'd play behind a good team. An average goaltender than plays average behind a bad team won't become a quality goaltender behind a good team..

So if these 2 things are true, why would any team pay a substantial sum for GIbson?
    jfkst1 liked this.
    Apr. 18 at 6:41 p.m.
    So if these 2 things are true, why would any team pay a substantial sum for GIbson?

They probably won't. I'm not suggesting they should.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll