SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

Apr. 27 at 11:10 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Willy calling out mitch only for marner to score the only goal of the evening is hilarious
Apr. 27 at 11:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Just bringing this from the other To distract us from the potential pending doom why dont we name some FA targets to go after this summer

We got around 20m to spend so let that be a factor minus the trade potentials

Leave the potential targets in the replies

Saw Pesce not bad

My picks

Demelo, Roy, Stolarz

And here's some spicy gambles: Vrana,
Apr. 27 at 11:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Willy calling out mitch only for marner to score the only goal of the evening is hilarious

Also, leave it to Keefe to not adjust until we've already dug ourselves a ginormous hole. The Leafs aren't coming back from a 3 - 1 deficit against the Bruins.

We say this every offseason, but it's more true now than it ever has been; change needs to come. I cannot stand the thought of having to watch another season of Sheldon Keefe hockey, or the Guy Boucher Powerplay, or the Mike Van Ryn Man-on-Man defensive structure. I don't want to see a single familiar face behind the bench next season. I also don't want to see Samsonov between the pipes, he's too inconsistent and the lows are far too low with him.

It's also startling that the Leafs would ever consider trading Marner. This UFA crop is super weak and that money we'd be saving wouldn't be put to great use. Plus, it's Mitch Marner we are talking about. He's our 2nd best player and a crucial part of this team. You want to know why he doesn't show up in the playoffs? Because Keefes system is dog s***. That's the exact same reason why the other big guys also disappear in the playoffs.

All of this being said, we won't see changes this offseason. Keefe will be the headcoach next season, and the roster will probably be IDENTICAL, just without Bertuzzi and a new RHD.

This team could be so good but we are wasting our contention window by employing a bunch of bumbling idiots to run the show behind the bench. Our blueline contributes next to nothing offensively and also doesn't DEFEND. Sick of this same old song and dance.
LeafsForLife, oneX and RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 27 at 11:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Just bringing this from the other To distract us from the potential pending doom why dont we name some FA targets to go after this summer

We got around 20m to spend so let that be a factor minus the trade potentials

Leave the potential targets in the replies

Saw Pesce not bad

My picks

Demelo, Roy, Stolarz

And here's some spicy gambles: Vrana,

Roy
Walker
Foegele
Montour
Stolarz
Desharnais
Trade for Korczak / Hague 🤞
Bring Domi back
Hire a new f***ing coach
Apr. 27 at 11:27 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Why did you bother making a new thread? Youre just gonna need a new one next week anyway
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 27 at 11:29 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
Why did you bother making a new thread? Youre just gonna need a new one next week anyway

Capfriendly needs forums to be held to 50 pages. Not sure why, but that's the rule that's been enforced thus far 🤷‍♂️

Who knows, maybe we'll get more use out of this forum than we think (I'm delusional)
Random2152 and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 27 at 11:30 p.m.
Also, leave it to Keefe to not adjust until we've already dug ourselves a ginormous hole. The Leafs aren't coming back from a 3 - 1 deficit against the Bruins.

We say this every offseason, but it's more true now than it ever has been; change needs to come. I cannot stand the thought of having to watch another season of Sheldon Keefe hockey, or the Guy Boucher Powerplay, or the Mike Van Ryn Man-on-Man defensive structure. I don't want to see a single familiar face behind the bench next season. I also don't want to see Samsonov between the pipes, he's too inconsistent and the lows are far too low with him.

It's also startling that the Leafs would ever consider trading Marner. This UFA crop is super weak and that money we'd be saving wouldn't be put to great use. Plus, it's Mitch Marner we are talking about. He's our 2nd best player and a crucial part of this team. You want to know why he doesn't show up in the playoffs? Because Keefes system is dog s***. That's the exact same reason why the other big guys also disappear in the playoffs.

All of this being said, we won't see changes this offseason. Keefe will be the headcoach next season, and the roster will probably be IDENTICAL, just without Bertuzzi and a new RHD.

This team could be so good but we are wasting our contention window by employing a bunch of bumbling idiots to run the show behind the bench. Our blueline contributes next to nothing offensively and also doesn't DEFEND. Sick of this same old song and dance.

I think Keefe is a good coach, tbh, and we've seen the players underperform under two different coaches now so I don't think it's fair to put their shortcomings on his shoulders, but yeah he needs to go. It's just time.
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 27 at 11:32 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Capfriendly needs forums to be held to 50 pages. Not sure why, but that's the rule that's been enforced thus far 🤷‍♂️

Who knows, maybe we'll get more use out of this forum than we think (I'm delusional)

I vote that this thread becomes a London Knight thread.

Those ****ers know how to win in the playoffs (9-0 this year, 2 sweeps)
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 27 at 11:32 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I think Keefe is a good coach, tbh, and we've seen the players underperform under two different coaches now so I don't think it's fair to put their shortcomings on his shoulders, but yeah he needs to go. It's just time.

Woodcroft got fired in Edmonton for less. It's just a waste to keep Keefe around. Could he find success elsewhere? Probably. Has he done anything for this organization to warrant staying around? Not even remotely. The best thing he did was replace Mike Babcock. You literally couldn't ask for a better situation to come into, especially seeing as though Babcock set the bar so damn low.
Messier99 and RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 27 at 11:33 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
I vote that this thread becomes a London Knight thread.

Those ****ers know how to win in the playoffs (9-0 this year, 2 sweeps)

Man, I'm so f*cking pissed that my Greyhounds blew it in 7. I was looking forward to seeing Cowan live for a couple playoff games.
Apr. 27 at 11:38 p.m.
Woodcroft got fired in Edmonton for less. It's just a waste to keep Keefe around. Could he find success elsewhere? Probably. Has he done anything for this organization to warrant staying around? Not even remotely. The best thing he did was replace Mike Babcock. You literally couldn't ask for a better situation to come into, especially seeing as though Babcock set the bar so damn low.

Like I said, I agree it's time for him to go. The results when it matters just haven't been there and every coach has a shelf life.
Apr. 27 at 11:40 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Man, I'm so f*cking pissed that my Greyhounds blew it in 7. I was looking forward to seeing Cowan live for a couple playoff games.

Im glad they did. Im much happier with the Saginaw matchup. Saw both games in London live and we beat the brakes off them
Apr. 28 at 1:10 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
How would people feel about gambling on Vrana for next season?

A 1 year show me of sorts
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 28 at 2:45 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe and the players talking about no lack of effort **** off

You were lifeless and looked like last Saturday
Saskleaf and RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 28 at 3:09 a.m.

Did you (or anyone else here) watch the first intermission of the HNIC broadcast?

It's worth watching because Bieska showed 3 different clips of the Leafs lining up for a face-off during a PP in the first period and he basically pointed out that Keefe really doesn't have a system that works.

Now that was only 3 instances..imagine what Bieska would come up with if he had more time in that segment.

That segment was for those who think Keefe is an "okay" coach. Like fire this guy already geeze!

If you have access to the segment, I recommend going and watching it. It's good insight into what's going on.
Apr. 28 at 8:32 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
This group just doesn’t want it bad enough… It’s obvious to everyone

I don’t fault Reaves for the 1rst goal, as if that was the difference maker, you have more issue with your team

It’s looks like a bunch of players are either sick (Matthews) or just don’t care enough to win, they couldn’t be bothered. Then you have your 3 best players chirping each other on the bench to really seal the chaos happening.

Extremely disappointing from this team, it’s definitely a new low for me, hopefully they make enough changes and improvements to this team where they can come back better next year, age 27 for Matthews BTW, 27 for Marner and 28 (I believe) for Nylander
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 10:30 a.m.
Sadness
LEAFS IN 7 RAHHHHHHH
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 28 at 10:50 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Edited Apr. 28 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98

I don’t fault Reaves for the 1rst goal, as if that was the difference maker, you have more issue with your team

It’s looks like a bunch of players are either sick (Matthews) or just don’t care enough to win, they couldn’t be bothered. Then you have your 3 best players chirping each other on the bench to really seal the chaos happening.

Extremely disappointing from this team, it’s definitely a new low for me, hopefully they make enough changes and improvements to this team where they can come back better next year, age 27 for Matthews BTW, 27 for Marner and 28 (I believe) for Nylander

Genuinely thought with the new “playoff style editions” would be the difference maker. And they’ve been pretty good (a few dumb penalties). It’s the core not being able to score that’s the problem. There is no justification for not trading Marner and maybe Tavares (although no one is taking John Tavares, even for free, so that’s why it’s probably better just to ride out the last year of his contract).

PS: as much as it needs to happen that we trade Marner, I’m fully expecting them to resign him. This is the same crap we’ve seen year in and year out. I’m so sick of it.
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 10:56 a.m.
Sadness
Quoting: Leafsfan98

I can’t say Matthews doesn’t want it. Apparently according to reports Matthews had to be forced out of the game by doctors due to medical concerns.

Doesn’t sound like he wanted to stop
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 11:20 a.m.
average joe
Quoting: Saskleaf
Genuinely thought with the new “playoff style editions” would be the difference maker. And they’ve been pretty good (a few dumb penalties). It’s the core not being able to score that’s the problem. There is no justification for not trading Marner and maybe Tavares (although no one is taking John Tavares, even for free, so that’s why it’s probably better just to ride out the last year of his contract).

PS: as much as it needs to happen that we trade Marner, I’m fully expecting them to resign him. This is the same crap we’ve seen year in and year out. I’m so sick of it.

Leafs had the decision to make a year ago.
1) Dump the core 3 or 4 and rebuild, or
2) Re-sign the core 3, almost guarantee they will be the 3 highest scorers in Leafs history, and accept that there will be little to no playoff success.

Now all have No Trade Clauses. The decision was made - now we live with it. Enjoy the regular season - after all, it's longer than the playoffs.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 11:31 a.m.
Rip

Keefe is a major issue. He should have been fired last year. Now I can't really say for certain what Dubas would have done but he wanted autonomy and Shanahan fired him and brought in Treliving to be his new yes man.

The fact that Keefe was kept is ridiculous. He's been out coached every year in the playoffs. As you mentioned never adjusts until it's too late. He has to go. Who should replace him? No idea but he has to go.

Woll should have started the whole series. Our defence can't move the puck at all beyond Rielly and Liljegren (who's been hurt the entire series). Timmins certainly can but Keefe doesn't know how to develop defenceman so he sits while Edmunson, Benoit, Brodie, McCabe And Lybushkin get hemmed in all the time. Cool we are getting lots of hits but still suck.
Apr. 28 at 11:34 a.m.
Rip

That would almost be the worst case scenario at this point. Keefe bumbling into a long playoff round to keep his job while never making the right decisions would be just the worst.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 11:36 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: RipNasty
That would almost be the worst case scenario at this point. Keefe bumbling into a long playoff round to keep his job while never making the right decisions would be just the worst.

The silver lining with this early playoff exit is that we still have our 1st round pick and have the potential to walk away from the draft with a pretty good defenseman/center
RipNasty and palhal liked this.
Apr. 28 at 11:38 a.m.
Rip

Who under performed under Babcock? The last time we lost to Boston in 7, we had a 3-2 series lead and we're down a goal in the 3rd period of game 6 and he played Matthews something like 3 minutes in the 3rd while playing Marleau 11 minutes. Babcock was a bad coach who cost the team and Keefe is no better. He played Sammy these playoffs, there are some (me probably more than any on here) who absolutely knew he was going to have bad games cost us. (Game 1 and 3 are as much on him as anyone else). He never adjusts anything, he gets out coached all the time. It's just dumb, Keefe has to go.
Apr. 28 at 11:41 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Keefe and the players talking about no lack of effort **** off

You were lifeless and looked like last Saturday

It's hard to say what's going on with the team. Either the coach is telling them, do these things and they are following his directions which just aren't working (what I think is happening).

Or the players are just tuning him out and doing whatever they want which isn't working.

In either case the coach has to go. Either no control or total control and it's not working.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll