Forums/NHL

Who will win the 2018 Calder Trophy?

Who will win the 2018 Calder Trophy?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:46 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: boltscharge17
So, you're saying anyone drafted high or picks up a lot of points in junior will be good? That's not how it works

i know, but chances are, Strome will get 60+ points at some point ... no guarantees, but he probably will.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:48 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

ok, maybe injuries are a problem but if he's not injured he could win the calder.

He wasn't even injured for the Coyotes. Keller is the much more dynamic, offensively gifted, new age player. I'm sure phillyjabroni would be more than willing to pull up some crazy advanced stats to show that Keller is much better than Strome. Keller dominated at the WJC where Strome was just decent. Keller averaged over a PPG his freshman year (which is especially impressive since college hockey is much harder to score in) and then he had 2 assists in three NHL games at the end of the season. Not only that, but Keller was all over the ice, dictating play in the offensive and neutral zone, and demonstrating his high hockey-IQ. All things that Strome has failed to do in the NHL, even when he was given every opportunity to stick with the Coyotes

are you saying that for Strome, where he was drafted and how he does in junior says nothing but it says a lot with Keller? Confused
Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:52 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: krakowitz

He wasn't even injured for the Coyotes. Keller is the much more dynamic, offensively gifted, new age player. I'm sure phillyjabroni would be more than willing to pull up some crazy advanced stats to show that Keller is much better than Strome. Keller dominated at the WJC where Strome was just decent. Keller averaged over a PPG his freshman year (which is especially impressive since college hockey is much harder to score in) and then he had 2 assists in three NHL games at the end of the season. Not only that, but Keller was all over the ice, dictating play in the offensive and neutral zone, and demonstrating his high hockey-IQ. All things that Strome has failed to do in the NHL, even when he was given every opportunity to stick with the Coyotes

are you saying that for Strome, where he was drafted and how he does in junior says nothing but it says a lot with Keller? Confused

It means a lot less since he should already have completed a full NHL season and didn't. Even on a level playing field (WJC) Keller outperformed Strome mightily.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:00 a.m.

just so we are clear here. College hockey is not considered "Junior". Junior hockey in north america is generally for players 16-21 years old. College is 18-24 years old
LicMysak and ON3M4N liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 9:41 a.m.
RAIF -

You contention has multiple flaws. First, PPG in CHL doesn't correlate to PPG in the NHL. If that was the case, then every single team would disregard scouting and just draft whomever has the best PPG. That is the very foundation that you have made your contention on, so not supporting that lower tranche would falter your higher points on the tranche.

Second, where you get drafted is irrelevant. Artemi Panarin won the Calder in 2015-2016 with the Chicago Blackhawks and where did they draft him? Undrafted.

Strome was drafted in 2015, a draft class filled with offensive talent. Arizona has had room for him to make the team, but he just isn't ready. Keller was drafted in 2016 and will make the team this upcoming season, plausibility playing LW to Derek Stephan.

NCAA is not the same as Junior hockey. Keller absolutely dominated the U18 and US Natl' Development Team, both that have the very top of the US prospects.

You still have done nothing to provide substance to your claim. You regress to "Strome will get 60+ points probably", yet you never have concrete points to support that. The main contention that we have for Keller is that he is NHL ready and will be able to score a lot with playing LW to Derek Stephan. Strome plays center and will be playing with guys who aren't household names.
nobody and LicMysak liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 10:19 a.m.
Below Market Value
Strome has been able to dominate juniors because he is much bigger than the kids he plays against. His skating is a big weakness, and poor skating doesn't often translate well to the NHL. He looked pretty bad in the 7 games he did play in the NHL last season. And to think that he's just gonna jump up and score 60+ points is asinine. He may even need to spend some time in the AHL.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
RAIF -

You contention has multiple flaws. First, PPG in CHL doesn't correlate to PPG in the NHL. If that was the case, then every single team would disregard scouting and just draft whomever has the best PPG. That is the very foundation that you have made your contention on, so not supporting that lower tranche would falter your higher points on the tranche.

Second, where you get drafted is irrelevant. Artemi Panarin won the Calder in 2015-2016 with the Chicago Blackhawks and where did they draft him? Undrafted.

Strome was drafted in 2015, a draft class filled with offensive talent. Arizona has had room for him to make the team, but he just isn't ready. Keller was drafted in 2016 and will make the team this upcoming season, plausibility playing LW to Derek Stephan.

NCAA is not the same as Junior hockey. Keller absolutely dominated the U18 and US Natl' Development Team, both that have the very top of the US prospects.

You still have done nothing to provide substance to your claim. You regress to "Strome will get 60+ points probably", yet you never have concrete points to support that. The main contention that we have for Keller is that he is NHL ready and will be able to score a lot with playing LW to Derek Stephan. Strome plays center and will be playing with guys who aren't household names.

that 1st one i agree with, but same with Keller ... sure, Strome might never get a point every 2 games even, but Keller might not either. You never really know ... so yes, i know playing good in junior/college doesn't mean you will in the NHL, but same with Keller. Even if Strome played at a lower level, MORE than TWO POINTS PER GAME. I see that turning into 60+ points in the NHL.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:39 p.m.
RAIF -

that 1st one i agree with, but same with Keller ... sure, Strome might never get a point every 2 games even, but Keller might not either. You never really know ... so yes, i know playing good in junior/college doesn't mean you will in the NHL, but same with Keller. Even if Strome played at a lower level, MORE than TWO POINTS PER GAME. I see that turning into 60+ points in the NHL.

maybe eventually. Not year one
Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Pasta88Sauce

fair enough. still probably 50+ points in year one though.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 1:57 p.m.

fair enough. still probably 50+ points in year one though.

I'm going brain dizzy
krakowitz, Pasta88Sauce and nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:01 p.m.
RAIF -

The main flaw that you have that I pick up on is that are so bought into the "hot hand fallacy". Since he has dominated at the Junior level, there is no reasonable possibility that he doesn't falter at the NHL level. You lower the expectations of it happening because you want the transition to go smoothly.

Nail Yakupov has a career PPG in the OHL of 1.59. Dylan Strome has a career PPG in the OHL of 1.62. How did Nail turn out?

You are so fixated on the fact that he has over a point per game that you forgo any reasonable conclusion that he doesn't perform well at the NHL level. Strome will be playing with mediocre wingers, while Keller will plausibly be playing with Stephan.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:05 p.m.
So, you're saying anyone drafted high or picks up a lot of points in junior will be good? That's not how it works

So these players are great

Yakupov
Campbell
Quenville

And

These players are trash?
Palat (good stats only in last possible draft year)
Karlsson
Benn

like I said... the players that are "trash" didn't have a flashy junior career, but succeeded in the NHL.
nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:09 p.m.
What did I miss? I was just busy counting how many brain cells I have lost as a result of reading these pointless arguments....
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:18 p.m.
First off, I chose McAvoy, but as far as I can tell, there are many terrific candidates this year. Keller, Chabot, Hischier, Ho-Sang, and probably two guys we entirely didn't expect could swipe it too.

Which is why we shouldn't immediately disregard Strome. Like it or not, Strome has produced at the OHL level, and while that doesn't immediately indicate he's a great player, it's certainly a positive in his direction.

Furthermore, not every player takes to the NHL immediately. Seven games is a TINY sample size, and he's now a year older, larger, stronger, etc.

Lastly, we can knock Strome's skating, but every single NHL and AHL team has a skating coach. The idea that he won't work with them every single day is ridiculous. Does that mean his skating will get better? No, but it means he'll have every opportunity to improve and become the cornerstone player that he could be. And if doesn't become that, maybe he becomes a dominant net-front presence, or a two-way star, or another kind of valuable player.

I'm not picking Strome, but if you're making him your second or third line center with some decent linemates (Dvorak and Rieder? Domi and Duclair? Keller? Jagr?), I could see a scenario where he reaches 50 points. That's a good player.
nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
When have i ever said that Strome is for sure going to be a great NHLer??!??!?! Yakupov was one of those more rare players where they're great in junior/college but not as much in the NHL ... so i could say the same thing to you guys about Keller ... i actually think Keller is a potential superstar, but you can't say, 'oh, Strome was only good in junior/college, so he probably won't be good in the NHL, but i mean, look how Keller did in junior/college, he's gonna be great!'
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:25 p.m.
giphy.gif
phillyjabroni, tad77 and nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:42 p.m.
giphy.gif

911, what's your emergency

"I would like to report theft of my beloved GIF from Pasta"
Jul. 31, 2017 at 2:53 p.m.
Below Market Value
When have i ever said that Strome is for sure going to be a great NHLer??!??!?! Yakupov was one of those more rare players where they're great in junior/college but not as much in the NHL ... so i could say the same thing to you guys about Keller ... i actually think Keller is a potential superstar, but you can't say, 'oh, Strome was only good in junior/college, so he probably won't be good in the NHL, but i mean, look how Keller did in junior/college, he's gonna be great!'

We're not saying he won't be good because of his success in junior. We're saying he won't be good because there are flaws in his game, in addition to how he's performed in his short NHL stint. You're using the argument that he will be good purely because of his success in junior. While that often can translate to NHL success, it can just as easily translate into NHL mediocrity.
Pasta88Sauce, nobody, phillyjabroni and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

We're not saying he won't be good because of his success in junior. We're saying he won't be good because there are flaws in his game, in addition to how he's performed in his short NHL stint. You're using the argument that he will be good purely because of his success in junior. While that often can translate to NHL success, it can just as easily translate into NHL mediocrity.

giphy.gif
nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 3:09 p.m.
Below Market Value

giphy.gif

tumblr_nvfrn599zY1smew8oo1_500.gif
Jul. 31, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.

giphy.gif

tumblr_nvfrn599zY1smew8oo1_500.gif

giphy.gif
Pasta88Sauce and nobody liked this.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 4:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

He played what? 7 games?
Jul. 31, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
Below Market Value

He played what? 7 games?

Yes and he looked bad in those games, in addition to his preseason and his training camp.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 4:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

He played what? 7 games?

Yes and he looked bad in those games, in addition to his preseason and his training camp.

like i said, i guess he likely won't get 60 points in his 1st season, but probably eventually.
Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:57 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
1.) Strome
2.) Sergachev
3.) Hischeir

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit