Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:58 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: EthanK24
1.) Strome
2.) Sergachev
3.) Hischeir

i think Dubois is likely up for it.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:23 a.m.
The two people who have no votes on this poll are the only ones left competing for this thing. Barzal vs Boeser, who d'ya got down to win?
Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
There are two people competing for this?

Barzal in a walk. Boeser and McAvoy are playing for second.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
Where's Barzal...

1. Barzal
2. Boeser
3. McAvoy
4. Gourde (damn right he's eligible)
5. Keller
Feb. 13, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
strome

Oh sweet summer child.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DavidBooth7
The two people who have no votes on this poll are the only ones left competing for this thing. Barzal vs Boeser, who d'ya got down to win?

Barzal may have been voted for with the 'other' option.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 12:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Barzal wins. Not just saying this cause i'm an Islanders fan, i'm saying this cause he's been playing great.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: tadhockey
There are two people competing for this?

Barzal in a walk. Boeser and McAvoy are playing for second.

It definitley helps when you have an all-star forward lineup around you, consisting of Tavares, Bailey, Eberle, Lee, and plenty of other guys. Who has Boeser played with? He had to play with Sam Gagner and Thomas Vanek. Boeser plays for one of the worst team in the NHL, with some not-so good linemates, and has had the rest of his team fall to injury. He still leads the rookie race in goals, and went on to win the All-Star game MVP as well as the shooting accuracy contest. He's managed to give hope to a fanbase that's been dying as of late. In addition, Boeser has been consistent - Barzal only leads the scoring race right now because of some 5 point games. Boeser hasn't gone 3 games without putting up a point. And the majority of his points don't come for secondary assists either.

I'm not biased, but being a Vancouver fan and seeing what Boeser does day in day out is unbelievable. I still strongly believe that the Calder should be Boeser's.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
It definitley helps when you have an all-star forward lineup around you, consisting of Tavares, Bailey, Eberle, Lee, and plenty of other guys. Who has Boeser played with? He had to play with Sam Gagner and Thomas Vanek. Boeser plays for one of the worst team in the NHL, with some not-so good linemates, and has had the rest of his team fall to injury. He still leads the rookie race in goals, and went on to win the All-Star game MVP as well as the shooting accuracy contest. He's managed to give hope to a fanbase that's been dying as of late. In addition, Boeser has been consistent - Barzal only leads the scoring race right now because of some 5 point games. Boeser hasn't gone 3 games without putting up a point. And the majority of his points don't come for secondary assists either.

I'm not biased, but being a Vancouver fan and seeing what Boeser does day in day out is unbelievable. I still strongly believe that the Calder should be Boeser's.

Lee-Tavares-Bailey is it's own line. Barzal hasn't been playing with any of those 3.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Lee-Tavares-Bailey is it's own line. Barzal hasn't been playing with any of those 3.

He still plays with then on the powerplay, where many of his points have come from. Plus, he's played the majority of the season with Eberle and Beauvillier 5v5, which is a definite upgrade over Vanek and Gagner.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
This would be my ballot:

1.) Matt Barzal
2.) Brock Boeser
3.) Yanni Gourde
4.) Charlie McAvoy
5.) Clayton Keller
Feb. 13, 2018 at 1:55 p.m.
It definitley helps when you have an all-star forward lineup around you.

That didn't stop Artemi Panarin from winning it.

Quoting: boltscharge17

4. Gourde (damn right he's eligible)

If he finishes the season at the pace he's set since Jan he might be a big factor. 3rd in rookie goals and now playing with Stammer.

I think Boeser should win it though. All star mvp and he's probably already established himself and Vancouver's next captain. Plus that release.
nobody liked this.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.

Then Clayton Keller should still be up for it.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
This would be my ballot:

1.) Matt Barzal
2.) Brock Boeser
3.) Yanni Gourde
4.) Charlie McAvoy
5.) Clayton Keller

I don't see Gourde going ahead of Keller and McAvoy.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 3:53 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I think the biggest reason why Barzal gets it at this point is the sheer volume of production he's had. Having multiple 4 and 5 point games at this age is off the charts. Yes, it means that his overall production is a little spotty, but the kid is over a point-per-game. Yes, he's played with Eberle a lot this year, but from the few Islander games I've seen this season, Barzal has been the driving force on that line. He'll probably finish with around 25 goals and close to 60 assists, which are just ridiculously impressive numbers for any player, not just a rookie.

Boeser has an interesting case just due to the fact that goals are more valuable than assists. He's a pure sniper playing on a line without a high end playmaker, and is on pace for a 40 goal season (had he not been a scratch to start the season).

But it's still Barzal's. Centers have much more responsibility than wingers, and Barzal could push for a 90 point season. At that point, it's almost impossible to not give him the Calder.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 4:16 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I think the biggest reason why Barzal gets it at this point is the sheer volume of production he's had. Having multiple 4 and 5 point games at this age is off the charts. Yes, it means that his overall production is a little spotty, but the kid is over a point-per-game. Yes, he's played with Eberle a lot this year, but from the few Islander games I've seen this season, Barzal has been the driving force on that line. He'll probably finish with around 25 goals and close to 60 assists, which are just ridiculously impressive numbers for any player, not just a rookie.

Boeser has an interesting case just due to the fact that goals are more valuable than assists. He's a pure sniper playing on a line without a high end playmaker, and is on pace for a 40 goal season (had he not been a scratch to start the season).

But it's still Barzal's. Centers have much more responsibility than wingers, and Barzal could push for a 90 point season. At that point, it's almost impossible to not give him the Calder.

Fair enough. And honestly I'm not saying Barzal doesn't deserve it - there's a clear case to be made as to why he should win it. My vote, were I to have one, would still go to Boeser however.
Feb. 13, 2018 at 5:14 p.m.
He still plays with then on the powerplay, where many of his points have come from. Plus, he's played the majority of the season with Eberle and Beauvillier 5v5, which is a definite upgrade over Vanek and Gagner.

Matt Barzal has played the majority of his 5v5 ice time with Jordan Eberle (555 mins) and Andrew Ladd (364 mins). Beauvillier has been with him 196 mins.
Brock Boeser has played the majority of his 5v5 ice time with Bo Horvat (353 mins) and Sven Baertschi (362 mins). Vanek and Gagner are at 149 and 191 mins, respectfully.

Barzal is also having 69.69% of his points come from EV play. Boeser is at 56.35% at EV play.

Not trying to make the claim that Boeser isn't close in the running, I'm just adding context.

edit: 69.49%
Feb. 13, 2018 at 5:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Matt Barzal has played the majority of his 5v5 ice time with Jordan Eberle (555 mins) and Andrew Ladd (364 mins). Beauvillier has been with him 196 mins.
Brock Boeser has played the majority of his 5v5 ice time with Bo Horvat (353 mins) and Sven Baertschi (362 mins). Vanek and Gagner are at 149 and 191 mins, respectfully.

Barzal is also having 69.69% of his points come from EV play. Boeser is at 56.35% at EV play.

Not trying to make the claim that Boeser isn't close in the running, I'm just adding context.

edit: 69.49%

Also, Ladd is struggling again this season. And you could say Eberle is playing better from playing with Barzal. IMO Barzal wins it over Boeser.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit