SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Who are the Legit Cup Contenders?

Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:56 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Obviously, anything can happen. The 8th seed LA Kings won the Cup a few years back, and Nashville was the 16 seed and almost won it. But who are the legit contenders as of right now? I've got Tampa, Edmonton, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus, Anaheim, Nashville and the Rangers.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:57 p.m.
Edmonton, Nashville, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh
Aug. 18, 2017 at 1:00 p.m.
Edmonton, Anaheim, Trashville, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Columbus.

On the Verge: Calgary, Toronto, Dallas,
Aug. 18, 2017 at 3:06 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Anaheim, Edmonton, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Columbus, and Washington.

Toronto and Calgary could be contenders or they won't.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 3:15 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: EthanK24
Anaheim, Edmonton, Dallas, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Columbus, and Washington.

Toronto and Calgary could be contenders or they won't.

Montreal??
Aug. 18, 2017 at 6:32 p.m.
Habs
Tampa Bay, Dallas, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Nashville, Chicago
Aug. 18, 2017 at 6:48 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Quoting: krakowitz
Obviously, anything can happen. The 8th seed LA Kings won the Cup a few years back, and Nashville was the 16 seed and almost won it. But who are the legit contenders as of right now? I've got Tampa, Edmonton, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington, Columbus, Anaheim, Nashville and the Rangers.

if the rangers and blue jackets are on their you gotta throw in the Leafs
Aug. 18, 2017 at 7:29 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Rodzikhockey93

if the rangers and blue jackets are on their you gotta throw in the Leafs

I almost put the Leafs, but I think that they're right on the verge. Believe me, I'll definitely be rooting for them (after the Caps) but I don't think they're at that level quite yet. Next year, they should be a legit contender. Not so sure about this one.
Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:02 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Tampa, Toronto, NYR, Columbus (maybe), Washington, Pittsburgh (unfortunately), STL (maybe), Preds, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, and LA (if they make it).
Aug. 19, 2017 at 11:03 a.m.
I think Tampa Nashville Edmonton and Pittsburgh are a really strong 4. I could see a final of any of those two.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ChiaPetty
I think Tampa Nashville Edmonton and Pittsburgh are a really strong 4. I could see a final of any of those two.

even a Tampa-Pittsburgh final or a Nashville-Edmonton final? lol Sticking Out Tongue
Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:52 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

even a Tampa-Pittsburgh final or a Nashville-Edmonton final? lol Sticking Out Tongue

*facepalm*

Maybe Buffalo and Tampa in a few years lol
Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: boltscharge17

*facepalm*

Maybe Buffalo and Tampa in a few years lol

yeah, that's what i accidentally predicted, that was so stupid that i predicted that.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:19 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
With the parity in the NHL these days, it's really a toss up for most teams that make the playoffs.

But if I had to pick teams that really stand out on paper. I'd say Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Nashville, maybe even Tampa Bay.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 2:20 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Blazingbat11
With the parity in the NHL these days, it's really a toss up for most teams that make the playoffs.

But if I had to pick teams that really stand out on paper. I'd say Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Nashville, maybe even Tampa Bay.

So Anaheim has a better chance than Washington?
Aug. 19, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

Yes. I've said this before, just because a team plays amazing during the season, doesn't mean they will have success in the playoffs. Washington have proven to be a struggling playoff team. The teams I have listed have proven at some point in time to make lengthy playoff runs, hence, why I consider them to be contenders.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 5:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Yes. I've said this before, just because a team plays amazing during the season, doesn't mean they will have success in the playoffs. Washington have proven to be a struggling playoff team. The teams I have listed have proven at some point in time to make lengthy playoff runs, hence, why I consider them to be contenders.

Ummm ... and not Anaheim? This is the year where people aren't expecting as much from the Caps, and if everyone's always thinking you're gonna win, expecting you to win, its always the teams that are expected to win by the fans that seem to struggle in the playoffs. This is the year where people have kind of been saying that they just can't do it, which seems to be when they kind of surprise everyone and win the cup. They're my pick for the Stanley cup.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 5:44 p.m.
Molson beer is meh

Ummm ... and not Anaheim? This is the year where people aren't expecting as much from the Caps, and if everyone's always thinking you're gonna win, expecting you to win, its always the teams that are expected to win by the fans that seem to struggle in the playoffs. This is the year where people have kind of been saying that they just can't do it, which seems to be when they kind of surprise everyone and win the cup. They're my pick for the Stanley cup.

Anaheim have been to the Western conference Finals twice in the past 3 years.... how many times have the Caps been to the Eastern conference Finals?......... don't worry, I'll wait
Aug. 19, 2017 at 6:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Anaheim have been to the Western conference Finals twice in the past 3 years.... how many times have the Caps been to the Eastern conference Finals?......... don't worry, I'll wait

and Anaheim has lost early a lot too. Washington always makes in to the 2nd round at least, or almost always, and they were the 2nd best team in the playoffs this year anyway, they just went up against the best team in the 2nd round.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.

and Anaheim has lost early a lot too. Washington always makes in to the 2nd round at least, or almost always, and they were the 2nd best team in the playoffs this year anyway, they just went up against the best team in the 2nd round.

Washington had home ice advantage for the entirety of the playoffs, meaning they were the best regular season team. Washington outplayed Pittsburgh in almost every game this postseason.

Anaheim doesn't struggle to the same degree as Washington does. Washington simply cannot get past the second round
Aug. 19, 2017 at 7:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Washington had home ice advantage for the entirety of the playoffs, meaning they were the best regular season team. Washington outplayed Pittsburgh in almost every game this postseason.

Anaheim doesn't struggle to the same degree as Washington does. Washington simply cannot get past the second round

What if they went up against Ottawa or the Rangers in round 2?
Aug. 19, 2017 at 7:13 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018

Do you have some advanced stat to explain this? Since they can tell you anything about hockey, there should be an explanation for this, right?
Aug. 19, 2017 at 7:18 p.m.

Do you have some advanced stat to explain this? Since they can tell you anything about hockey, there should be an explanation for this, right?

Sure... The capitals haven't made it past the second round in 19 years, despite making the playoffs 12 out of those 19 years.

You don't need advanced stats. That's a large enough sample size to call Washington's playoff performances a struggle and a disappointment.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 7:23 p.m.
Edited Aug. 19, 2017 at 7:37 p.m.

Since they lost the cup to the Red Wings in 97-98, the Caps are a whopping 6-12 in playoff series. In 12 playoff runs, they've made it to the second round in half of them, never made it past that.

In that same span, Anaheim is 15-10 in playoff series, making it past the second round 5 times in a total of 11 playoff appearances.

One team seems to perform significantly better than the other in the playoffs based off of those stats.
Blazingbat11 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2017 at 7:31 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: mtdavis311

Sure... The capitals haven't made it past the second round in 19 years, despite making the playoffs 12 out of those 19 years.

You don't need advanced stats. That's a large enough sample size to call Washington's playoff performances a struggle and a disappointment.

I asked for a stat why we can't get past round 2. Believe me, I know what our track record is.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll