SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - Messages to the BOE Thread

Mar. 14, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
Hey guys, just popping in again to find out if we've settled on a draft order for the upcoming draft?
Mar. 14, 2018 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Hey guys, just popping in again to find out if we've settled on a draft order for the upcoming draft?

Draft order has not been finalized yet. The Lottery will take place on April 15 and the full order will be revealed around that date.
Mar. 14, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
When will the Feb TRs and PRs be announced?
Mar. 14, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Draft order has not been finalized yet. The Lottery will take place on April 15 and the full order will be revealed around that date.

What about the lottery chances? I'm guessing those will be announced after the real life regular season is done? Or will it be after the trade deadline?
Mar. 14, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Do RFA extensions need qualifying offers? Because i think i signed Ceci for less.
Mar. 14, 2018 at 8:30 p.m.

Based on what exactly?
Mar. 21, 2018 at 5:37 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
So it's now Spring, which means it's past March 20th and yet we still don't have access to the FEB rankings, trade ratings or whatever other report the BOE is responsible for putting out for ALL GM's to see.

Is there any chance we can get the FEB ratings and other stuff before it's suddenly mid April and it doesn't matter anymore.

You're very quick to jump in when you feel a trade is unfair, yet when it comes to putting out reports it takes forever.
The last, and only one I've seen since joining was so far behind it included Dec & Jan together.
How are we supposed to know the waiver order?
How are we supposed to know where the BOE has decided each team sits in terms of standings or rankings?
How are we to know where we might fall with the draft lotto coming up?
How are we supposed to know if it's worth buying or selling based on are we a potential lotto team or one of the contenders?

If you're going to make up rules and say you'll provide such reports, please provide them in a more timely manner.

Taken right from the Rules Doc...
Waiver Order
The Waiver Order will be used to determine the order of teams that have priority when a player is sent down on waivers by their employer. The bi-weekly power rankings will be used as the Waiver Order.

Bi-weekly???? We barely get them bi-monthly right now.

If the BOE has the ability to hold the GM's accountable for things like trades etc, then I feel we the GM's should have the ability to hold the BOE accountable to hold up their end of things in terms of providing us the information we need to be informed of where we stand within the game.
Perhaps some of the "kids" or "younger" people operating teams as GM's in the game don't want to speak up, so that leaves it again to the old guy in the room to start the discussion.

Clearly for those who disagree, feel free to let me know. I'm pretty sure I can handle the feedback.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 5:55 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: flamesfan419
So it's now Spring, which means it's past March 20th and yet we still don't have access to the FEB rankings, trade ratings or whatever other report the BOE is responsible for putting out for ALL GM's to see.

Is there any chance we can get the FEB ratings and other stuff before it's suddenly mid April and it doesn't matter anymore.

You're very quick to jump in when you feel a trade is unfair, yet when it comes to putting out reports it takes forever.
The last, and only one I've seen since joining was so far behind it included Dec & Jan together.
How are we supposed to know the waiver order?
How are we supposed to know where the BOE has decided each team sits in terms of standings or rankings?
How are we to know where we might fall with the draft lotto coming up?
How are we supposed to know if it's worth buying or selling based on are we a potential lotto team or one of the contenders?

If you're going to make up rules and say you'll provide such reports, please provide them in a more timely manner.

Taken right from the Rules Doc...
Waiver Order
The Waiver Order will be used to determine the order of teams that have priority when a player is sent down on waivers by their employer. The bi-weekly power rankings will be used as the Waiver Order.

Bi-weekly???? We barely get them bi-monthly right now.

If the BOE has the ability to hold the GM's accountable for things like trades etc, then I feel we the GM's should have the ability to hold the BOE accountable to hold up their end of things in terms of providing us the information we need to be informed of where we stand within the game.
Perhaps some of the "kids" or "younger" people operating teams as GM's in the game don't want to speak up, so that leaves it again to the old guy in the room to start the discussion.

Clearly for those who disagree, feel free to let me know. I'm pretty sure I can handle the feedback.

Not disagreeing with you @flamesfan419 but we just need to keep in mind that the BOG/BOE people have lives out side of this fictional game, I'm not even a BOG member and I still sometimes have issues finding the time to play this game. However, your points are valid and it is really confusing with the deadline coming up, and not knowing where your team stands when matched up against other teams. So to the BOG/BOE members, if we could get some PR in good time it would be much appreciated. We get that it is a BIG job to go through all the trades, and that real life comes first, but all us non-BOG GM's are depending on these ranking. Thanks guys.
flamesfan419 and nobody liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:09 p.m.
@flamesfan419

This is one of the first times that we have encountered an General Manager being upset with the affirmed lackadaisical effort put forth with the BOEG in regards to published finalized trade ratings. We have had internal discussion about potentially modifying the method of trade ratings and that might have contributed to subconsciously not releasing trade ratings.

The rules for the winning formula were based on tentative plans that are still being discussed. However, the base of the Winning Formula is as follows:

45 percent - Trade Ratings
45 percent - Win Now
10 percent - Asset Management

The Lottery has been also released some time ago. However, the BOEG is having internal discussions as to how the structure will be broken down after dry runs have been tested. The main component of the Lottery formula is based on "Win Now," which is still being discussed as to how that will be determined. We are still working on how the percentage points will be allocated - the current model and the one that has been perviously discussed - is as follows:

70 percent - Win Now
30 percent - Trade Ratings (teams will be broken into "thirds" and will receive points based on location [i.e the top third get 1, the middle third get 2, and the final third get 3]).

However, we are working on calculating to see if there is any sort of change that actually occurs from 100 percent Win Now to the aforementioned model.

Again, it was perviously established that the majority of the Lottery Formula will be based on "Win Now." General Managers should interpret that information as they would like.

We have never released "bi-weekly" Power Rankings and do not intend to do so. Earlier in the Game, the former BOE decided that it would be best to have monthly rankings. This rule of "bi-weekly" is outdated and has not been used in the Game ever. We are planning on re-writing the Rules that can be placed in a designated thread that can be accessed by all that will detail formulas, BOE/G duties, etc.

The BOEG has provided information that General Managers may interpret as to what draft pick they will have.

We apologize for not being more timely with releasing Power Rankings and Trade Ratings. As we gear up for the 2018-2019 Season, it will be more transparent and the GM Community will have more information more timely (in the form of email blasts, etc.)
Daryl, flamesfan419, rangersandislesfan and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:10 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Edited Mar. 21, 2018 at 6:17 p.m.
happyhappyhappyhappy

Based on all that, who exactly determines "WIN NOW" in a made up game?
How can whoever it is deciding that honestly say one team would beat another team when those teams never actually play?

I give you the 2017 Preds. 8th place, no chance to beat Chi----Stanley Cup Finalist
2014 LAK 8th place, Stanley Cup Champions
2004 Flames, made playoffs with 4 games left....Stanley Cup Finalist

So again, how can anyone just look at a team page and definitively say "THAT" is the team who would win it all right now.

Just asking and hopefully not ruffling feathers here. Details matter more to me than they do others I guess.
And besides, how does anyone bet against my Ducks to win it all smile
Mar. 21, 2018 at 10:38 p.m.
We need someone to create each roster on NHL 18, simulate a season, and see who wins rock on
KSIxSKULLS, tylerpaluzzi35, rangersandislesfan and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2018 at 11:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DavidBooth7
We need someone to create each roster on NHL 18, simulate a season, and see who wins rock on

@phillyjabroni?
Mar. 22, 2018 at 12:59 a.m.
Trade ratings when?
Mar. 22, 2018 at 1:16 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
happyhappyhappyhappy

Based on all that, who exactly determines "WIN NOW" in a made up game?
How can whoever it is deciding that honestly say one team would beat another team when those teams never actually play?

I give you the 2017 Preds. 8th place, no chance to beat Chi----Stanley Cup Finalist
2014 LAK 8th place, Stanley Cup Champions
2004 Flames, made playoffs with 4 games left....Stanley Cup Finalist

So again, how can anyone just look at a team page and definitively say "THAT" is the team who would win it all right now.

Just asking and hopefully not ruffling feathers here. Details matter more to me than they do others I guess.
And besides, how does anyone bet against my Ducks to win it all smile

A general manager’s “job” in this sense is to make their team the best in can be on paper. Believe me, as a a Caps fan I know that trying to interpret on paper lineups is all for naught, but there’s no other way to do it. Doing an NHL 18 sim is probably the best alternative, but there are numerous flaws in this method. Quite frankly, it is impossible to have an objective, definitive ranking of win-now rosters. Especially in our fantasy setting, everything like this is going to be subjective. That needs to be understood by all
matt59 liked this.
Mar. 22, 2018 at 7:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Any update on the February trade ratings and power rankings?
jmac490 liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 10:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Just something i'd like to say: a lot of GMs keep joining discussions that have nothing to do with them. Sometimes if two GMs are talking about a trade, someone else will come in and say something like, "you're asking for way too much", or, "you know you're not gonna get that player with those offers", or, "this deal makes no sense for either of you". IMO if someone is not involved at all, they can think stuff in their head about it but don't need to randomly say that they think one or both of the GMs are being unreasonable with offers/asking prices. Just letting you guys know that and seeing how to get that stopped. I usually just ignore that stuff but it does get kind of annoying.
nobody liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
Just something i'd like to say: a lot of GMs keep joining discussions that have nothing to do with them. Sometimes if two GMs are talking about a trade, someone else will come in and say something like, "you're asking for way too much", or, "you know you're not gonna get that player with those offers", or, "this deal makes no sense for either of you". IMO if someone is not involved at all, they can think stuff in their head about it but don't need to randomly say that they think one or both of the GMs are being unreasonable with offers/asking prices. Just letting you guys know that and seeing how to get that stopped. I usually just ignore that stuff but it does get kind of annoying.

If you can give me specific examples of this, I will be able to have a better grasp on the situation and the context.

If a General Manager has nothing to do with a trade, they should not offer their two cents. If they want to make an offer, they can gladly do it. Don't infringe upon another General Manager's self-interest.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 12:53 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
If you can give me specific examples of this, I will be able to have a better grasp on the situation and the context.

If a General Manager has nothing to do with a trade, they should not offer their two cents. If they want to make an offer, they can gladly do it. Don't infringe upon another General Manager's self-interest.

Sometimes if i'm discussing a trade someone will come in and say to me or the other GM that we're not offering enough for a player, or that we're asking for too much for a player. I know, if they have an offer, that's fine, but sometimes they'll just randomly come in and say their opinion on a trade that's being discussed.
nobody liked this.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 7:38 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Dear BOE/BOG,
@Icegirl @phillyjabroni @TonyStrecher @krakowitz @matt59

After my recent inactivity and lack of available time I have decided it would be in the best interest of both myself and the game that I step down as GM of the Florida Panthers. I am grateful for the time I spent playing the game and would be open to an assistant role on one of the teams (esp. Florida) if anyone will take me. I am also willing to help the new GM set up the new team if anything is unclear (as my team page has issues currently).

Sincerely, EthanK24

PS; @TonyStrecher Gudbranson can be sent down to the AHL so the new GM doesn’t lose Mike Fisher.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 10:02 a.m.
WentWughes

Thats why its better to have a twitter or something where you can offer players without anybody else knowing.
Mar. 26, 2018 at 10:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: EthanK24
Dear BOE/BOG,
@Icegirl @phillyjabroni @TonyStrecher @krakowitz @matt59

After my recent inactivity and lack of available time I have decided it would be in the best interest of both myself and the game that I step down as GM of the Florida Panthers. I am grateful for the time I spent playing the game and would be open to an assistant role on one of the teams (esp. Florida) if anyone will take me. I am also willing to help the new GM set up the new team if anything is unclear (as my team page has issues currently).

Sincerely, EthanK24

PS; @TonyStrecher Gudbranson can be sent down to the AHL so the new GM doesn’t lose Mike Fisher.

Great having you in the game! Thanks for playing!
Daryl and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 9:41 p.m.
CFGM Game Moderator
Can we get the FEB power rankings sometime soon please.
We are in mid March now.
Can't continue to base waiver order off January rankings at this point.

So, March is now over and we still haven't seen the FEBRUARY power rankings.
With basically 13 days left to alter our teams, I'm sure MANY of us would like to know exactly where our team stands in terms of rankings/standings.
And come April 1st the FEB rankings will mean nothing and chances are we won't see March rankings....so honestly, how is anyone to know how to approach the deadline??

See above.

Sorry, but it's annoying as heck trying to make deals when neither team has any idea where they stand, which means there's no way to place value on any potential draft picks that may be included in deals between now and Apr 8th.

If you need help getting these reports out on time, I'm sure people will step up and help out.
Mar. 27, 2018 at 10:18 p.m.
See above.

Sorry, but it's annoying as heck trying to make deals when neither team has any idea where they stand, which means there's no way to place value on any potential draft picks that may be included in deals between now and Apr 8th.

If you need help getting these reports out on time, I'm sure people will step up and help out.

Power Rankings have zero impact on the Winning Formula - it's strictly Trade Ratings (45), Win Now (45), and Asset Management (10).
flamesfan419 liked this.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 1:32 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
See above.

The members of the BOE/G all have lives outside of the game that are taking the driver's seat. PR's are not as big a deal as it is made up to be, especially since they aren't going to change that much from month to month. Each team does have a good idea of where they stand. They know the direction that they're in, and they have an understanding of how they stack up to the rest of the teams. Each GM knows basically where their team stands, so the PRs aren't nearly as important in this scenario. They'll be much more important after the deadline than before, especially since you should have a good idea of where you stand and what you want to do.
Mar. 28, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: krakowitz
The members of the BOE/G all have lives outside of the game that are taking the driver's seat. PR's are not as big a deal as it is made up to be, especially since they aren't going to change that much from month to month. Each team does have a good idea of where they stand. They know the direction that they're in, and they have an understanding of how they stack up to the rest of the teams. Each GM knows basically where their team stands, so the PRs aren't nearly as important in this scenario. They'll be much more important after the deadline than before, especially since you should have a good idea of where you stand and what you want to do.

Thought the point of the BOG was to help this out? Should we re-elect different people if our current members arent doing a good enough job?
nobody liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll