SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2018 Playoffs discussion thread

May 1, 2018 at 11:18 p.m.
Quoting: mtdavis311
So can we talk about Tom Wilson getting away with another ridiculous hit, again? 3rd time this playoffs?

It's almost like the league had something they could have done to prevent this...

Update. Aston-Reese has a broken jaw and a concussion.

Now, I'm not a doctor... But it seems to me like you'd have to be hit in the jaw to, y'kno, break your jaw.

Meanwhile Tommy's sitting on the bench having a chuckle.
May 1, 2018 at 11:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Update. Aston-Reese has a broken jaw and a concussion.

Now, I'm not a doctor... But it seems to me like you'd have to be hit in the jaw to, y'kno, break your jaw.

Meanwhile Tommy's sitting on the bench having a chuckle.

So stupid. He should be suspended.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
May 2, 2018 at 12:07 a.m.
Late, but Brayden Point is a beast. @Zach go away. Buffalo isn't getting even near him, unless he's dismantling your defense.
May 2, 2018 at 12:10 a.m.
Hardcore Sabres fan
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Late, but Brayden Point is a beast. @Zach go away. Buffalo isn't getting even near him, unless he's dismantling your defense.

Heard Yzerman is willing to do a Jake McCabe for Point one for one.

Botterill still thinking on it tho
rangersandislesfan liked this.
May 2, 2018 at 12:12 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
This was the first hit from Wilson in the playoffs that deserved a suspension. The other two that were referenced sure as hell weren’t.
May 2, 2018 at 12:12 a.m.
Quoting: Zach
Heard Yzerman is willing to do a Jake McCabe for Point one for one.

Botterill still thinking on it tho

Heard Garth Snow is nearing a deal for Dahlin. New York will also receive Jack Eichel and Mittlestadt among others. Heading the other way is Dal Colle and Tavares.
May 2, 2018 at 12:39 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Heard Garth Snow is nearing a deal for Dahlin. New York will also receive Jack Eichel and Mittlestadt among others. Heading the other way is Dal Colle and Tavares.

I like this applaudrock on
May 2, 2018 at 12:39 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
YES!!!! CAPS WIN!!!!! THE PENGUINS LOSE GAME 3!!!!!!
May 2, 2018 at 12:40 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Who here agrees that the Penguins have won enough for now?
May 2, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
They had Letang and Murray injured last year against the Caps, and Sheary at one point, and at one point some guy named Sidney Crosby ... but it would be great for them to get those guys back, yes. And i agree about Hagelin.

But I think we had more depth last year than this one. Specially in our D. We lost Dumoulin yestarday and that's pretty scary, cause I don't trust Ruhwedel and Oleksiak as well. We already are 2x1 against in the series. Lose Dumo can cost us the series, cause he's our shutdown guy. The only one we have in our roster. We don't have any replacer for him. We never have so close to win for the Capitals for the first time in a playoffs series than we are this season. That's a tough, but unfortunately it's a truth.
May 2, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
So stupid. He should be suspended.

Tom Wilson is a goon. He's a Zach Rinaldo with some talent. But he's still a goon. Every matchup against Capitals they hurt one or two of our guys in dirty plays. That's why I think they don't deserve to win a cup and I'm SURE they WON'T. Cause if they beat us for the first time, they will never beat teams like Bolts or Bruins. Even Pens would be underdog against them. I admit that.
May 2, 2018 at 3:23 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
I'd like to say some words about the other series.

#VEGxSHA: This series have been the most exciting in this round. 2 of the 3 games deciding dramacticaly in OT, when of them with 2OT. As most of us predicted, it's a pretty even matchup between those 2 teams. If I have to name one key player in each team in this playoffs I'd say Kane for the Sharks and obviously Fleury for the Knights. In fact, to me Fleury is the best player of entire playoffs this season. We can put Pastrnak in this conversation, but Fleury is the most consistent player and he's making unreal saves in key moments for his team. As a Pens fan, I'm so exciting and happy to see Fleury playing at this level. He's a great teamplayer, leader and one of the coolest guys of the league. He always deserves the best!!! (except agains Pens, of course)

#JETxPRE: This series have been amazing and pretty exciting and even either. I have no idea about what team will advance to the final conference here (I'd put Nashville winning in my bracket, but after a stunning come back victory by the Jets, everything can happen in next games). The key players for both teams to me are their goalies. Both are playing in great level and can steal games for their teams (I admit it's not the best time to say that after what happened last game, but I'll keep that thought anyway).

#TBLxBOS: Another even matchup (in fact, all this series matchups are pretty even to me). I really like both teams. They play a so different hockey style, but both are so great, talented and balanced teams. It's pretty damn hard to find out any weakness in those teams. That's why it's so hard to name just one key players for both, but I'll go with Bergeron for Bruins, because he's the best two-way forward of the league right now to me. He wins a ton of faceoffs, create many chances for his mates and for himself, and he's stil one of the best forwards of the league defensively. Besides, he's a great leader. As for Bolts, I'll go with Hedman, cause he's arguably the best two-way d-man of the league. He has size, skating abilities (specially for a player of his size) hockey IQ, awareness in both sides of the rink, he can create many scoring oportunities and he's a shutdown d-man either. Besides, he's also a great leader as Bergeron.

Be my guest to agree or disagree anyone who wants to.
May 2, 2018 at 3:27 p.m.
Below Market Value
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
I'd like to say some words about the other series.

#VEGxSHA: This series have been the most exciting in this round. 2 of the 3 games deciding dramacticaly in OT, when of them with 2OT. As most of us predicted, it's a pretty even matchup between those 2 teams. If I have to name one key player in each team in this playoffs I'd say Kane for the Sharks and obviously Fleury for the Knights. In fact, to me Fleury is the best player of entire playoffs this season. We can put Pastrnak in this conversation, but Fleury is the most consistent player and he's making unreal saves in key moments for his team. As a Pens fan, I'm so exciting and happy to see Fleury playing at this level. He's a great teamplayer, leader and one of the coolest guys of the league. He always deserves the best!!! (except agains Pens, of course)

#JETxPRE: This series have been amazing and pretty exciting and even either. I have no idea about what team will advance to the final conference here (I'd put Nashville winning in my bracket, but after a stunning come back victory by the Jets, everything can happen in next games). The key players for both teams to me are their goalies. Both are playing in great level and can steal games for their teams (I admit it's not the best time to say that after what happened last game, but I'll keep that thought anyway).

#TBLxBOS: Another even matchup (in fact, all this series matchups are pretty even to me). I really like both teams. They play a so different hockey style, but both are so great, talented and balanced teams. It's pretty damn hard to find out any weakness in those teams. That's why it's so hard to name just one key players for both, but I'll go with Bergeron for Bruins, because he's the best two-way forward of the league right now to me. He wins a ton of faceoffs, create many chances for his mates and for himself, and he's stil one of the best forwards of the league defensively. Besides, he's a great leader. As for Bolts, I'll go with Hedman, cause he's arguably the best two-way d-man of the league. He has size, skating abilities (specially for a player of his size) hockey IQ, awareness in both sides of the rink, he can create many scoring oportunities and he's a shutdown d-man either. Besides, he's also a great leader as Bergeron.

Be my guest to agree or disagree anyone who wants to.

I vehemently disagree with those abbreviations.
May 2, 2018 at 3:48 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
I vehemently disagree with those abbreviations.

Lol. I'm ok with that. I don't care about abbreviations. I just care about hockey indeed.
May 2, 2018 at 8:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Tom Wilson is a goon. He's a Zach Rinaldo with some talent. But he's still a goon. Every matchup against Capitals they hurt one or two of our guys in dirty plays. That's why I think they don't deserve to win a cup and I'm SURE they WON'T. Cause if they beat us for the first time, they will never beat teams like Bolts or Bruins. Even Pens would be underdog against them. I admit that.

Not the whole team, it's mainly just Wilson.
May 2, 2018 at 8:23 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
But I think we had more depth last year than this one. Specially in our D. We lost Dumoulin yestarday and that's pretty scary, cause I don't trust Ruhwedel and Oleksiak as well. We already are 2x1 against in the series. Lose Dumo can cost us the series, cause he's our shutdown guy. The only one we have in our roster. We don't have any replacer for him. We never have so close to win for the Capitals for the first time in a playoffs series than we are this season. That's a tough, but unfortunately it's a truth.

Um ... 1st of all, the Penguins have Schultz and Letang. And did Dumoulin get injured in game 3? I don't know what happened. If you're talking about the injury in game 2, he returned.
May 3, 2018 at 1:05 a.m.
Cassidy lost game 3 for Boston in the first 5 minutes matching up Krejci against Point's line instead of Berg. If Tampa can get any sort of production out of the Stamkos line they're gonna blow Boston out of the water.
May 3, 2018 at 9:13 a.m.
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
Cassidy lost game 3 for Boston in the first 5 minutes matching up Krejci against Point's line instead of Berg. If Tampa can get any sort of production out of the Stamkos line they're gonna blow Boston out of the water.

For whatever reason, the secondary scoring has disappeared for Boston.
May 3, 2018 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
For whatever reason, the secondary scoring has disappeared for Boston.

Ryan Callahan has remembered how to play hockey. :-)
May 3, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Alright, Sharks vs. Golden Knights, tie series, 2-2. At one point during the game i was wondering if this might be 7-0 like game 1, except this time for the Sharks.
May 3, 2018 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
This was the first hit from Wilson in the playoffs that deserved a suspension. The other two that were referenced sure as hell weren’t.

Regardless of what team you're a fan of, there is nothing okay with the the way Tom Wilson hits.

Even as a Pens fan, Wilson is the only player on the capitals I outright hate. I actually like Ovi and Backstrom a lot. Kuzy is annoying at times, but is a hell of a player. But Wilson is a cheap shot artist that loves throwing these high hits any chance he can. He launches upward through all of his hits, so even if the makes initial contact with the shoulder or body, he makes sure he follows through to the head.

3rd head related injury he has caused in 9 games. That's not an accident. And yes, I know Dumo was cleared of concussion protocol and didn't actually sustain a lasting head injury, but he was still knocked out of the game by a hit to the head.

Glad the NHL finally came to their senses and got this guy off the ice for now.
May 3, 2018 at 1:28 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Regardless of what team you're a fan of, there is nothing okay with the the way Tom Wilson hits.

Even as a Pens fan, Wilson is the only player on the capitals I outright hate. I actually like Ovi and Backstrom a lot. Kuzy is annoying at times, but is a hell of a player. But Wilson is a cheap shot artist that loves throwing these high hits any chance he can. He launches upward through all of his hits, so even if the makes initial contact with the shoulder or body, he makes sure he follows through to the head.

3rd head related injury he has caused in 9 games. That's not an accident. And yes, I know Dumo was cleared of concussion protocol and didn't actually sustain a lasting head injury, but he was still knocked out of the game by a hit to the head.

Glad the NHL finally came to their senses and got this guy off the ice for now.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Dumoulin hit. Anyone who thinks that hit was suspension worthy needs to study up. Wilson made zero intent to hit Dumoulin in the head, Dumoulin was the one that turned into the hit. The Wennberg hit was clean. Just because it was a heavy hit that resulted in injury doesn't make it suspension worthy.
May 3, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Dumoulin hit. Anyone who thinks that hit was suspension worthy needs to study up. Wilson made zero intent to hit Dumoulin in the head, Dumoulin was the one that turned into the hit. The Wennberg hit was clean. Just because it was a heavy hit that resulted in injury doesn't make it suspension worthy.

And Wilson doesn't followthrough the Dumo hit with a shoulder lift, even though he can clearly see he's hitting directly on the head?

I can buy the argument that Wilson didn't target the head, but he certainly didn't pull off his hit either. Suspension worthy? Maybe not, but still a crappy play for a guy to make.
May 3, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
And Wilson doesn't followthrough the Dumo hit with a shoulder lift, even though he can clearly see he's hitting directly on the head?

I can buy the argument that Wilson didn't target the head, but he certainly didn't pull off his hit either. Suspension worthy? Maybe not, but still a crappy play for a guy to make.

He really didn't have any time to react. That's just one of those unfortunate hockey plays where a guy gets hurt. Nobody is to blame for that incident.
May 3, 2018 at 6:09 p.m.
He really didn't have any time to react. That's just one of those unfortunate hockey plays where a guy gets hurt. Nobody is to blame for that incident.

Then Wilson must have some pretty crappy luck, since this the third time he's had one of those "unfortunate" hockey plays.

By the rule, some of these hits aren't necessarily illegal. But Wilson goes into those hits with the worst intentions. No other way to explain how often he ends up getting the head on his hits, and literally no one else in the league is having repeated issues like this.

For context, I think the rule should be changed to match the IIHF's rule on hits to the head. No such thing as a clean head hit. 2 minute penalty anytime it happens. Only way to get these kind of "unfortunate" plays out of the league.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll