SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What 16 teams will make the playoffs next year 2019

May 9, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
that was a different Atlantic division. Boston was weaker, Toronto was in shambles, Detroit already mediocre. even Tampa had one down year. the division was the weakest in the NHL. MTL rose and fell with Price - and given his injury woes, the rise will probably not happen anytime soon. Buffalo and Ottawa are still bad of course.

They made to the conference finals and lost to the Rangers without a true 1C. Again I don't see them making the playoffs, but if things go right and the right moves are made (which I doubt) they can be a bubble team. But chances are the Habs fall flat once again.
May 9, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: awatt
I need whatever you are on... First, the isles aren't going back to the playoffs. I get your explanation but these are teams that don't need to add a lot to their current roster. Pitt will get in the top 3 of the division.

IF 5 teams from the pacific get in, I will send you $1k a month of a year. I'm guessing you think Colorado was a fluke to get in as well. I also wouldn't write off the blackhawks. Crawford was injured for half the season. I fully expect them to be the same ole blackhawks when he is healthy.

Pacific will only have 3 teams in the playoffs, Vegas and SJ are the 2 for sure the third is up in the air.

I'll make full predictions after the playoffs, but i'll answer cause why not ...
First of all, when did i ever say Pittsburgh isn't going top 3 in the division?
Second, look at all the great seasons a bunch of the Islanders players had, like Leddy, Lee, Bailey, etc. Goaltending was the problem, so if they can fix their goaltending, they should be a decent team.
And Chicago is not as good as they used to be. They're getting older and are kind of like the Red Wings last year.
Colorado keeps tricking us into thinking they're really good, but they're not that great. They're still a pretty good team, but a lot of good teams make the playoffs.
The Oilers are so underrated. They have to be better next year. Calgary seems to make it every second year, and i think they're at least good enough to make the playoffs. I've been saying Arizona makes it every year, i'm gonna say it again lol.
MacWinnon liked this.
May 9, 2018 at 2:53 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Well obviously no one plans for a lockout to happen, but that's when either the NHLPA or the owners can opt out of the current CBA. And then two years later is when it actually expires. Based on how the last two labor negotiations have gone, don't be surprised if we lose part, or all, of the season.

If you look at some of the recently signed long-term contracts, (Jack Eichel for example: https://capfriendly.com/players/jack-eichel) you'll notice that a lot of players have much more signing bonus than salary in the 20-21 and the 22-23 seasons. That's because those are the projected lockout years. Players get their signing bonuses regardless of if there's a season, as opposed to base salary.

I doubt we'll miss a full season soon. The lockouts are stupid though. There's no good reason for them. If the NHL has another lockout then Gary Bettman should be gone. I don't actually mind him right now, but if there's another lockout then he has to be gone, because the lockouts are ridiculously stupid.
May 9, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I'll make full predictions after the playoffs, but i'll answer cause why not ...
Second, look at all the great seasons a bunch of the Islanders players had, like Leddy, Lee, Bailey, etc. Goaltending was the problem, so if they can fix their goaltending, they should be a decent team.
And Chicago is not as good as they used to be. They're getting older and are kind of like the Red Wings last year.
Colorado keeps tricking us into thinking they're really good, but they're not that great. They're still a pretty good team, but a lot of good teams make the playoffs.
The Oilers are so underrated. They have to be better next year. Calgary seems to make it every second year, and i think they're at least good enough to make the playoffs. I've been saying Arizona makes it every year, i'm gonna say it again lol.

How do you plan to fix the goaltending? The UFA market for goalies is weak and I'm not sure how many will be on the trade block, and it's not like Sorokin is going to come over next season.

I see the Isles drafting a D-man and forward this year so the future is definitely bright for them. However, with how tight the Metro is I think it may be a few seasons until the Isles get into the playoffs.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
May 9, 2018 at 3:54 p.m.

Because you hate Pittsburgh so much you would predict they miss the playoffs every year until it happened.
Why are the Flyers not in it? Florida? New Jersey? All these teams are as good if not better than the islanders. They also have better goaltending besides the Flyers.
So if the isles fix their goalie issue, they can be a contending team for the playoffs, right? Then why can't Chicago? With Crawford in net, that team is so much better and their top players aren't going to just let the team sink and be horrible for the next few years.
Why aren't they a great team? They gave Nashville a run for their money and had a huge turn around this season after they traded Duchene.
How are the Oilers underrated? Almost every expert had them winning the division and going to the conference finals after last year. They have a locker room issue and it is not going to fix itself anytime soon. Not to mention rumors have swirled of players having a drug issue as well, this goes for Calgary too. Both teams have their own issues and they are too good to not be winning games but they still drop the ball.
May 9, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
About the Islanders, Philipp Grubauer is the guy i'd go after. Washington has Holtby now and Samsonov for the future.
May 9, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Because you hate Pittsburgh so much you would predict they miss the playoffs every year until it happened.
Why are the Flyers not in it? Florida? New Jersey? All these teams are as good if not better than the islanders. They also have better goaltending besides the Flyers.
So if the isles fix their goalie issue, they can be a contending team for the playoffs, right? Then why can't Chicago? With Crawford in net, that team is so much better and their top players aren't going to just let the team sink and be horrible for the next few years.
Why aren't they a great team? They gave Nashville a run for their money and had a huge turn around this season after they traded Duchene.
How are the Oilers underrated? Almost every expert had them winning the division and going to the conference finals after last year. They have a locker room issue and it is not going to fix itself anytime soon. Not to mention rumors have swirled of players having a drug issue as well, this goes for Calgary too. Both teams have their own issues and they are too good to not be winning games but they still drop the ball.

The main thing i'm noticing is that i never said Pittsburgh misses the playoffs. And i never even said they aren't a top 3 team in the division.
May 9, 2018 at 4:03 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: krakowitz
Atlantic - Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Florida
Metropolitan - Columbus, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly/NJ (flip a coin between these two)
Central - Nashville, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado
Pacific - Vegas, Anaheim, Calgary

my last pick in the metro would be Carolina and in the pacific I'd pick the kings or shorks over Anaheim. they are due for a crash.
May 9, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Florida, Philadelphia, and New Jersey have better goaltending NOW, yes. But IF the Islanders fix their goaltending, they should probably be better. Not just goaltending, but i see them making some moves in the offseason. I'd say trade one of your 1sts to get a forward/d-man, and they have some good prospects who could come in next year. Sure, maybe they won't make it, and you might be right ... i'll make full predictions after the playoffs, and those predictions will probably be better, i didn't really think much about my predictions. I'll think about them more after the playoffs, when i make FULL predictions. And i wouldn't call them a guarantee to miss the playoffs. They have at least a decent chance.

There are a ton of teams who "made it this year, and are gonna keep making it for a while now" who missed the playoffs. Colorado 2014, Edmonton 2017, Tampa Bay 2011, New Jersey 2012, etc.
May 9, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
my last pick in the metro would be Carolina and in the pacific I'd pick the kings or shorks over Anaheim. they are due for a crash.

Agreed, Carolina has a new coach, and the 2nd overall pick. This isn't the same as the last few years. A new coach is a pretty big change.
May 9, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl
They made to the conference finals and lost to the Rangers without a true 1C. Again I don't see them making the playoffs, but if things go right and the right moves are made (which I doubt) they can be a bubble team. But chances are the Habs fall flat once again.

They can do it if bergevin can be smart or we just fire him ?
May 9, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
This type of thing is so unpredictable, especially before the offseason festivities begin.

The only argument for the Habs is "anything can happen". Probably why the Habs fan posted it
awatt and rangersandislesfan liked this.
May 9, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: mtdavis311
The 20-21 year wild card is going to be Seattle. I can't see the league letting there be a lockout during the 1st/2nd year of a brand new team that paid 500 mill to join the league. Bad optics.

Agree with you. I really don't see how the NHLPA can expect to improve on the 50% revenue sharing, so I really don't how many issues the players would be willing strike and forego $$$$ for. Only way the the players can expect more $$$$ is to somehow grow the game. Under Bettman and his promises of having hockey a "national" NHL sport....it hasn't happened, at least for a lucrative TV deal in the USA.
May 9, 2018 at 10:56 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: krakowitz
This type of thing is so unpredictable, especially before the offseason festivities begin.

The only argument for the Habs is "anything can happen". Probably why the Habs fan posted it

My view on the habs is that if everything goes right in the offseason, they can make the playoffs. If everything goes wrong, they won't be as bad as this year. As they are now I see them as a most likely bubble team.
Hockey1033 liked this.
May 10, 2018 at 10:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I don't think Montreal in the playoffs next year is crazy. I don't think they'll make it, but it depends. They may try to build a better team for next season and really pay the price to get some top players, and maybe they'll play better as a team next year. Idk what will happen. I don't think they'll make it, but they have a decent chance.
May 10, 2018 at 2:57 p.m.
I don't think Montreal in the playoffs next year is crazy. I don't think they'll make it, but it depends. They may try to build a better team for next season and really pay the price to get some top players, and maybe they'll play better as a team next year. Idk what will happen. I don't think they'll make it, but they have a decent chance.

Sorry but that's an awful lot of maybes to give a team a "decent chance." Maybe they try to build a better team. Duh. That's what general managers do, but MBs idea of a better team hasn't worked for him so far and they've shown no sign of changing their mentality. To say they have a decent chance is ridiculous. Their division has gotten so much stronger while they've stayed idle. They traded their best prospect for another winger when they should've been looking for a centre then did nothing at the deadline. Montreal's management needs a massive shift in thinking for them to go anywhere.

Decent chance? If they've got a Decent chance would you say doesn't have a decent chance
May 10, 2018 at 8:13 p.m.
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
Sorry but that's an awful lot of maybes to give a team a "decent chance." Maybe they try to build a better team. Duh. That's what general managers do, but MBs idea of a better team hasn't worked for him so far and they've shown no sign of changing their mentality. To say they have a decent chance is ridiculous. Their division has gotten so much stronger while they've stayed idle. They traded their best prospect for another winger when they should've been looking for a centre then did nothing at the deadline. Montreal's management needs a massive shift in thinking for them to go anywhere.

Decent chance? If they've got a Decent chance would you say doesn't have a decent chance

Seattle.
May 10, 2018 at 8:56 p.m.
Quoting: BoltsPoint21
Seattle.

Touche.
May 11, 2018 at 11:02 a.m.
Buchnevesey
There’s no way the isles make the playoffs, I see them finishing last in the division.
Hockey1033 liked this.
May 11, 2018 at 6:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Jimmybooboo

It depends what you call 'decent'. I'd say probably teams like Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo, Vancouver, etc. I don't think Montreal makes it, i'm just saying i wouldn't be super surprised.
May 11, 2018 at 6:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Buchnevesey
There’s no way the isles make the playoffs, I see them finishing last in the division.

There's no way they make it with their current team but if they can fix their goaltending i have to at least give them a chance.
May 12, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.
Buchnevesey
There's no way they make it with their current team but if they can fix their goaltending i have to at least give them a chance.

I don’t think any of the goalies that will be available are going to make THAT big of a difference. Plus they’re going to lose Tavares
May 12, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
If MTL has a healthy roster, for sure they can make the playoffs (wild card spot most likely). But as many other fans have been saying, there are a lot of things that need to happen for that to fall into place (Price back to his normal self, Weber showing no signs that his injury slowed him down, etc).

If Habs don't have a good offseason, (as in no big UFAs sign with them, and no trades that can fix a team need) then I'd put the playoff odds at 5%, even with Price at the peak of his game. Which hopefully follows with the firing of Bergefail.

but anyways, here are my predictions (I'm also conscientiously putting at least 2 teams from each conference that didn't make the playoffs this past year into the post-season)

Atlantic:
Boston
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Florida (#2 WC)
Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Metro:
Washington
Columbus
Carolina
Pittsburgh (#1 WC)
Philadelphia
New York Ranger
New Jersey
New York Islanders

I put the Flyers out, predicting/guessing Giroux won't have a great season compared to this last one, and goaltending will be an issue. I also put NJD out because I simply just see all the young guys who did so well have slumps.

Central:
Winnipeg
Nashville
Dallas
Chicago
Minnesota
Colorado
St-Louis

Pacific:
San Jose
Vegas
Edmonton
Los Angeles (#1 WC)
Calgary (#2 WC)
Anaheim
Vancouver
Arizona

SJS wins the Tavares sweepstakes, and resign Kane (they also let Thornton walk), then rightfully finish 1st in NHL. I put Dallas, Edmonton, and Calgary back in a playoff picture, with the west being so tight in the standings, Anaheim with an aging roster fall out, with MIN and COL just having bad years.

The end.
May 13, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Blazingbat11
If MTL has a healthy roster, for sure they can make the playoffs (wild card spot most likely). But as many other fans have been saying, there are a lot of things that need to happen for that to fall into place (Price back to his normal self, Weber showing no signs that his injury slowed him down, etc).

If Habs don't have a good offseason, (as in no big UFAs sign with them, and no trades that can fix a team need) then I'd put the playoff odds at 5%, even with Price at the peak of his game. Which hopefully follows with the firing of Bergefail.

but anyways, here are my predictions (I'm also conscientiously putting at least 2 teams from each conference that didn't make the playoffs this past year into the post-season)

Atlantic:
Boston
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Florida (#2 WC)
Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Metro:
Washington
Columbus
Carolina
Pittsburgh (#1 WC)
Philadelphia
New York Ranger
New Jersey
New York Islanders

I put the Flyers out, predicting/guessing Giroux won't have a great season compared to this last one, and goaltending will be an issue. I also put NJD out because I simply just see all the young guys who did so well have slumps.

Central:
Winnipeg
Nashville
Dallas
Chicago
Minnesota
Colorado
St-Louis

Pacific:
San Jose
Vegas
Edmonton
Los Angeles (#1 WC)
Calgary (#2 WC)
Anaheim
Vancouver
Arizona

SJS wins the Tavares sweepstakes, and resign Kane (they also let Thornton walk), then rightfully finish 1st in NHL. I put Dallas, Edmonton, and Calgary back in a playoff picture, with the west being so tight in the standings, Anaheim with an aging roster fall out, with MIN and COL just having bad years.

The end.

Looks pretty realistic IMO but i can't see the Isles coming last in the division. They're at least better than the Rangers.
Also, Ottawa is better than Detroit IMO.
May 13, 2018 at 3:56 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Buchnevesey
I don’t think any of the goalies that will be available are going to make THAT big of a difference. Plus they’re going to lose Tavares

At this point we really don't know. I still think he'll re-sign.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll