Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY / CAR) - Hanifin, Lindholm for Hamilton, Fox, Ferland

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 1, 2022 at 8:12 a.m.
More Finns More Wins
Quoting: FanIn80
Calgary got a top-pairing D signed long-term and drama-free, plus one of the best #1C in the NHL (40 goals, 80 points, +57, plays on all situations and should either win or be the runner up in the Selke this year). Both still have years left on their contracts at around $4.5M each.

I don't know what Carolina got for Hamilton, Ferland and Fox - but none of them are there anymore.

Hamilton was a big part of leading them to the playoffs in 2019 and breaking a 10 year playoff drought. While he left in free agency and didn't return anything at the end of his Carolina tenure, the regular season production and the playoff runs in 2019, 2020 and 2021 (where the Hurricanes won a series in all of those years) was still valuable.

Ferland played decently in 2018-19 and helped them make the playoffs, but concussions quickly ended his career from there

Fox told the Hurricanes front office that he would only ever sign with the Rangers, and they were able to get one draft pick that turned into Noel Gunler, and one that they traded down to get Jamieson Rees and Anttoni Honka. None of those players are with the Hurricanes yet, but Rees (21) and Gunler (20) are playing very well in the AHL, and Honka (21) almost led his Liiga team in points as a defenseman.
May 4, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
In hindsight, both teams did decently well here but Calgary wins. Lindholm and Hanifin have been great pieces for Calgary and have respectively become 1st liners and a 1st pair D while Carolina got 1 good year of Ferland, who left in FA, then his career was killed by injuries, Fox declined to sign in Carolina and was traded to NYR for picks and Dougie helped their D-core a lot before leaving in FA. The impact of Lindholm and Hanifin will be felt a lot longer than Dougie's
May 4, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
In hindsight, both teams did decently well here but Calgary wins. Lindholm and Hanifin have been great pieces for Calgary and have respectively become 1st liners and a 1st pair D while Carolina got 1 good year of Ferland, who left in FA, then his career was killed by injuries, Fox declined to sign in Carolina and was traded to NYR for picks and Dougie helped their D-core a lot before leaving in FA. The impact of Lindholm and Hanifin will be felt a lot longer than Dougie's

Will be interesting to see how Jamieson Rees and Noel Gunler (picks used in the Fox deal) end up for CAR.

It sucked to lose Fox but those were great selections by CAR.
May 4, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited May 4, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
It looks like Calgary won the trade now....but the Canes did have Hamilton for a couple years. Plus the Canes gained about 9,7m by not having Hannifan and Lindholm (nor Hamilton). It how they used that 9.7 with resigning or UFAs that is still in play with the original trade. Just going by the record of the Canes since the trade was made, you might say the Canes "won" the trade.
Correct me in I'm wrong, but the Flames have won one just one playoff round with those players and have missed the playoffs once. Yea, that's not necessarily fair way to judge a trade...but Canes I believe has won playoff rounds and never missed a playoffs since the trade.
exo2769 and RawDeal liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Looking back at this deal who won it now?
Sep. 12, 2023 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: python3504
Looking back at this deal who won it now?

I would say depends what happens with Lindholm/Hanifin, if they both get flipped for good assets/sign long term deals, I think Calgary will simply get much more out of this trade than Carolina, if they both walk, I think it comes fairly close to a fair deal
python3504 and Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 15, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I would say depends what happens with Lindholm/Hanifin, if they both get flipped for good assets/sign long term deals, I think Calgary will simply get much more out of this trade than Carolina, if they both walk, I think it comes fairly close to a fair deal

This was one of the most interesting trades of recent times. It’s difficult to analyze because there were so many moving parts, but I think it was good for both teams, and for most of the players involved too. I don’t put too much weight on whether the players are still with the teams 5 years later, because so much changes in that time.

Quoting: palhal
It looks like Calgary won the trade now....but the Canes did have Hamilton for a couple years. Plus the Canes gained about 9,7m by not having Hannifan and Lindholm (nor Hamilton). It how they used that 9.7 with resigning or UFAs that is still in play with the original trade. Just going by the record of the Canes since the trade was made, you might say the Canes "won" the trade.
Correct me in I'm wrong, but the Flames have won one just one playoff round with those players and have missed the playoffs once. Yea, that's not necessarily fair way to judge a trade...but Canes I believe has won playoff rounds and never missed a playoffs since the trade.

Palhal makes a good point about cap space. Carolina got three years of Dougie Hamilton at a bargain cap hit, instead of having to sign two RFAs for what turned out to be almost double Hamilton’s AAV. There’s a good chance that without this trade, they wouldn’t have been able to take on the Patrick Marleau buyout that they turned into Seth Jarvis, so to say that when Hamilton left they were left with nothing but the two 2nd-round draft picks they got for Fox would be an over-simplification. Like I said, a lot of moving parts.
palhal and RawDeal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit