SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs dont care about Karlsson

Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 6, 2018
Published: Jul. 6, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto made a huge move getting Tavares. But if they really want to compete with the big boys and get out of the 1st round and through the 2nd they need another top 4 dman. You can say they dont need more defense but cmon.. look at Tampa, look at Boston, look at Washington and Pits and Philly even and the defense of Toronto just doesnt match up. Enter Matt Dumba. Minnisota has been struggling for a while to get past the 1st round of the playoffs. And with a very strong dcore they can afford to lose Dumba for a solid C like Kadri who fits their style perfectly. Toronto would love to keep Kadri but im sure he doesnt want to play 3rd line. And this trade opens a bit of cap for Toronto to sign their coveted players in Matthews Marner and Nylander over the next while. Dermott helps secure the Minni defense after losing Dumba and Toronto can afford to lose Dermott with Liljegren on the rise and recieving a 5th rounder in next years draft. With the Atlantic getting crazy they really do Need Matt Dumba to counter anything Tampa tries with karlsson
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,000,000
6$6,750,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 5th round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Rights to Matt Dumba
Sign 5x5
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$74,007,500$2,550,000$5,400,000$5,492,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
RW
UFA - 6
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 6, 2018 at 4:55 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I would LOVE to see this happen but I doubt it will. (If it did, Dubas would sign Dumba for 7 years, not 5.) And you forgot to put Nathan Horton on LTIR.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:07 p.m.
Sens4life
Dumba is worth a lot more than that
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:18 p.m.
MarnerFan93
There are just a couple things I find out of the ordinary. Why would Toronto make this trade when they could easily just offer sheet Dumba and give up a 1st and a 3rd if Minnesota doesn’t match? I feel that is a way better avenue to go and it’s more fair for both sides.
Kadri may not like that he is on the third line from a fans perspective but personally I feel he is ecstatic. Kadri has put up two 30 goal seasons playing top 6 minutes. Imagine what he can do on the third line with “lesser” valued players to go up against.
Toronto has him on a super wicked deal for 3 or 4 more years. There’s no way he is given up for an RFA that Toronto can offer sheet.
Dermott is the future and isn’t a thrown in. If anything it would be Gardiner going (one year left and going back home)
The idea of picking up Dumba though is fantastic. I like it a lot and would be 110% on board going after him.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:20 p.m.
No deal from Toronto. Dermott is a top4 defenseman in his own right, so we aren't fixing much back there, and for that small upgrade we give up a 30 goal scoring matchup center on a steal of a deal. Just doesn't make sense.
Goulet, Drunkley and SJH liked this.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:23 p.m.
Yeah I'm in the no thanks camp on this one. Without Dermott, sure, but buying high is not a good idea.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.
Quoting: Sens4life

He's a young right handed Dion. His percieved value is higher than his actual value.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Would rather lose Gardiner than move Dermott.
Dermott likely replaces Gardiner next year anyway and add a D from the minors like borgman or even Holl.
SJH liked this.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
[
I could see Kadri for Dumba one for one, but not Dermot and Kadri. Dermot is a Leafs starting Dman this year who will get even more minutes next year when Gardiner goes via UFA
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:52 p.m.
Drunkley
Why would we give up a young 30 goal scorer at 4.5 per?
Dumba is good offensively, but just an absolute disaster is his own end. I’d take Dermott straight up at the sane price over him. Give up a young D man for a young D man but lose a young superstar with a great contract? Awful
Trade a winger for a D man. Huck in some picks or prospects, got tons of those and get someone who can play defence. Like Trouba or Pesce.
I doubt the Jets would part ways with him, but it’s kinda been a mess between him and the team the past few years.
Jul. 6, 2018 at 5:59 p.m.
The Leafs have the defensemen they will need to win the Cup in their pipeline already.
Jul. 7, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
Hockeyisabeauty
Jul. 7, 2018 at 1:14 p.m.
Hockeyisabeauty
Quoting: Sens4life

And all of these toronto fans thinking this is a bad deal for toronto.. comparing Dermott to Dumba.. cmon man ahah
Jul. 7, 2018 at 1:15 p.m.
Hockeyisabeauty
Quoting: SJH
The Leafs have the defensemen they will need to win the Cup in their pipeline already.

I would bet all the money I make the rest of my life that Toronto wont win a Cup with the defense they have now
Jul. 7, 2018 at 1:16 p.m.
Hockeyisabeauty
Quoting: Thomas29
There are just a couple things I find out of the ordinary. Why would Toronto make this trade when they could easily just offer sheet Dumba and give up a 1st and a 3rd if Minnesota doesn’t match? I feel that is a way better avenue to go and it’s more fair for both sides.
Kadri may not like that he is on the third line from a fans perspective but personally I feel he is ecstatic. Kadri has put up two 30 goal seasons playing top 6 minutes. Imagine what he can do on the third line with “lesser” valued players to go up against.
Toronto has him on a super wicked deal for 3 or 4 more years. There’s no way he is given up for an RFA that Toronto can offer sheet.
Dermott is the future and isn’t a thrown in. If anything it would be Gardiner going (one year left and going back home)
The idea of picking up Dumba though is fantastic. I like it a lot and would be 110% on board going after him.

Except nobody offer sheets so that will never happen.. so thats why i made this trade. Obviously an offer sheet would be better. If people offer sheeted the NHL would very different and Nylander would go to a different team
Jul. 7, 2018 at 1:21 p.m.
Hockeyisabeauty
Quoting: Drunkley
Why would we give up a young 30 goal scorer at 4.5 per?
Dumba is good offensively, but just an absolute disaster is his own end. I’d take Dermott straight up at the sane price over him. Give up a young D man for a young D man but lose a young superstar with a great contract? Awful
Trade a winger for a D man. Huck in some picks or prospects, got tons of those and get someone who can play defence. Like Trouba or Pesce.
I doubt the Jets would part ways with him, but it’s kinda been a mess between him and the team the past few years.

Ok ok Kadri is 100% not a superstar... lets get that out of the way. Hes a solid 2nd C. Next you clearly dont know how good dumba really is look at his possesion numbers then tell me he isnt good defensively. Next check his career plus minus, Dumba is a very very good defender and would be your 2nd best dman for sure next to Rielly.
Dermott is good but hes a 2nd pair guy at best. Never gonna be a proper #2 dman. Dumba can actually be that #2 guy you need and let Zaitsev play 2nd pair where he belongs hense you wont need dermott anymore and your defense gets a lot stronger. Its a price to pay for Dumba but I think its truly worth it based on the offensive depth you have and the need for defense. Look at any Tsn report look at at espn or nbc or whatever they all agree they need an upgrade on defense
Jul. 7, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: Hockeyisabeautifulgame
I would bet all the money I make the rest of my life that Toronto wont win a Cup with the defense they have now

If you are talking about the 6/7 defensemen they dressed for the most part last year (Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Hainsey, Dermott, Carick, Polak) I'd agree with you. But that is not what I said. I said they have the defensemen they need in their pipeline already. Out of those 7, I'd expect only 3 to have their name on the Cup. Rielly, Zaitsev, and Dermott.

Before you go off on Zaitsev, keep the following in mind. He played well in his first year and not so well in his second so it's not like he has an established track record in the NHL one way or the other. However, his second year was the first year of a deal that more than quadrupled his salary (you try having that happen to you and even at a subconscious level have it not effect how hard you push yourself initially), he was skating on one leg for about half the year (he missed 22 games, but dude he broke his ankle, they never come back 100% overnight?) and if I'm not mistaken, to top it off, his wife had their first child which has to do wonders for sleep deprivation. I expect his third and following years to be much more in line with his rookie year than his sophomore campaign.

As for the other three slots, I'd expect to see Igor Ozhiganov, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman, Timothy Liljegrin, Andrew Nielsen, Jesper Lindgren, Rasmus Sandin, J.D. Greenway, and Sean Durzi, compete for those in roughly that chronological order. In the end none of those would surprise me but my feeling is the two of the other three blueliners will end up being Sandin and Liljegrin with the inside track on the third job going to Lindgren or Durzi (they are both right shots). All that forward depth you've seen cresting the horizon for the past three years from the Marlies (so Brown, Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson, soon to be joined by Grunnstrom, Engvall, Brooks, Bracco), is about to be followed by a wave of defensemen. There is a reason why the just won the Calder Cup and The Hockey News rated them the top pipeline in the NHL this year.
Jul. 7, 2018 at 9:20 p.m.
Hockeyisabeauty
Quoting: SJH
If you are talking about the 6/7 defensemen they dressed for the most part last year (Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Hainsey, Dermott, Carick, Polak) I'd agree with you. But that is not what I said. I said they have the defensemen they need in their pipeline already. Out of those 7, I'd expect only 3 to have their name on the Cup. Rielly, Zaitsev, and Dermott.

Before you go off on Zaitsev, keep the following in mind. He played well in his first year and not so well in his second so it's not like he has an established track record in the NHL one way or the other. However, his second year was the first year of a deal that more than quadrupled his salary (you try having that happen to you and even at a subconscious level have it not effect how hard you push yourself initially), he was skating on one leg for about half the year (he missed 22 games, but dude he broke his ankle, they never come back 100% overnight?) and if I'm not mistaken, to top it off, his wife had their first child which has to do wonders for sleep deprivation. I expect his third and following years to be much more in line with his rookie year than his sophomore campaign.

As for the other three slots, I'd expect to see Igor Ozhiganov, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman, Timothy Liljegrin, Andrew Nielsen, Jesper Lindgren, Rasmus Sandin, J.D. Greenway, and Sean Durzi, compete for those in roughly that chronological order. In the end none of those would surprise me but my feeling is the two of the other three blueliners will end up being Sandin and Liljegrin with the inside track on the third job going to Lindgren or Durzi (they are both right shots). All that forward depth you've seen cresting the horizon for the past three years from the Marlies (so Brown, Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson, soon to be joined by Grunnstrom, Engvall, Brooks, Bracco), is about to be followed by a wave of defensemen. There is a reason why the just won the Calder Cup and The Hockey News rated them the top pipeline in the NHL this year.

Yeah i thought you meant the 6/7 defenders they currently have. I dont see too much promise in any of their defenders to be great except Liljegren and Sandin. Maybe borgman. The rest are most likely 7th dmen. Could be wrong time will tell but thats where I see them.
I Also agree zaitsev is good and will grow in the Leafs well hopefully. I dont see him as a pure #2 though. Maybe if Rielly gets better he can help balance that out to be a real dangerous top pair but for now thats a pretty mediocre top pair when you are running for a Cup. And with Gardiner and Dermott to fill the 2nd pair with nobody to step in if any of them get hurt their depth for a Cup run is very slim. I guess looking more so at the depth they would probably rather give Liljegren or Sandin along with Kadri. rather than trade Dermott.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll