SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

The terrible cap issues of next season

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 2, 2018
Published: Oct. 2, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I gave the league a modest 2 million cap increase and Nylander is signed for 8 years at 7 million.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$11,000,000
8$8,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
2$2,100,000
1$1,650,000
1$1,250,000
1$1,250,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Nylander, William
7$7,000,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$74,501,666$0$400,000$6,998,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C
UFA - 5
Nylander, William
$7,000,000$7,000,000
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
But how can that be matthews is worth more than tavares seeing he's never won (or in the top 5) a hart, or lead the league in scoring. I think you are very close in values and even though your 1 player short it just shows as long as everyone is willing to play at market value they will be fine.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
Quoting: PuckPal
But how can that be matthews is worth more than tavares seeing he's never won (or in the top 5) a hart, or lead the league in scoring. I think you are very close in values and even though your 1 player short it just shows as long as everyone is willing to play at market value they will be fine.

Because he’s giving up UFA years and I’d guarantee that he’ll meet both or at least one of those achievements in the near future
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:13 p.m.
Banned

Even if he gets 11.5, its still affordable.

The point I am making is that to make a team successful you don't under pay stars and overpay depth. That is just stupid, you pay your stars what they are worth and then you ask the depth to take discounts to play with those stars, or you replace them with players you are developing.

Many people point to Chicago and say, "See they paid their stars big money and look tat them." Well when did their stars get the big contracts? When they were turning 30 and now they are declining and aren't worth the contracts they hold, LA is the same boat as is Anaheim. TO has a unique situation where all their stars (Minus Tavares) are 22 and under and can be locked up for 8 years to maximize long term cost certainty. Making the navigation of the cap much easier for the Leafs over the next decade.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:18 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: linehan10
Because he’s giving up UFA years and I’d guarantee that he’ll meet both or at least one of those achievements in the near future

Tavares gave up 7 in his contract.... something to keep in mind
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo

It honestly doesn't even matter. Whether its 10, 11, or 12+ million a year, Matthews will earn those numbers. Just like McDavid is doing with his contract.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: LoganOllivier
It honestly doesn't even matter. Whether its 10, 11, or 12+ million a year, Matthews will earn those numbers. Just like McDavid is doing with his contract.

Exactly, Matthews will be signed to a fair contract.... if that contract is 15m.... I’m very happy lol.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:29 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo

Im assuming you’re referring to his Isles deal, in which case was such a odd contract because he literally gave his team a discount. But in terms of Matthews, especially in an era of short term bridge deals, he’s gonna need to make his worth, likely equal or more than JT, if he’s signing for eight years. I think that’s something we can both get behind.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:31 p.m.
Big John T
The only defenseman on that roster I've seen play in the NHL and liked is Morgan Rielly. Everybody else is unknown, and Zaitsev is overpaid for the 3rd liner he should be

This is hoping stacked on top of wishing.

Moving the problem around is not solving the problem
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Im assuming you’re referring to his Isles deal, in which case was such a odd contract because he literally gave his team a discount. But in terms of Matthews, especially in an era of short term bridge deals, he’s gonna need to make his worth, likely equal or more than JT, if he’s signing for eight years. I think that’s something we can both get behind.

No he gave up 7 years of free agency in his leafs contract. Tavares was a free agent signing and was a bidding war to get him. Not the same as an rfa. If Matthews makes less this would be why. He may get less and he may get more. Leafs will not be paying over market value.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: tatatavares
The only defenseman on that roster I've seen play in the NHL and liked is Morgan Rielly. Everybody else is unknown, and Zaitsev is overpaid for the 3rd liner he should be

This is hoping stacked on top of wishing.

Moving the problem around is not solving the problem

What is your suggestion? Burn it all down and start over? You're so helpful here bud.

They may have to take a step back next year on the blue line but who cares, they'll have the next 8 years to be a powerhouse offensively year after year and I think some of the defenceman they have in the system are definitely going to be great players. Sandin looked really good in the preseason. Better than most of the veterans I thought. Liljegren also looks like he's going to be very good as well. The Leafs have time and panicking to make moves that are short sighted are never a good idea.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 4:42 p.m.
Banned

Matthews will get 11 mill or slightly more I think. No bridge deals though, that would be a nightmare because his bridge deal will likely be at least 8 million for 3 years anyways and then it'll cost 16 mill on an 8 year deal. That is stupid.

Bridge deals for star players is effectively mortgaging the future to attempt to go all in now. It isn't wise planning for the future.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.
wpg
Too much offence, not enough defence.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
BigBeardBurns
Speaking of paying the stars and letting depth go instead of overpaying, the best option if the Leafs want to keep every big core guy is to get rid of Kapanen/Connor Brown. They r good but like u pointed out about depth, these guys are just depth. It might b at this point that they just dont keep Nylander and then the rest works out, but I believe relieving themselves of paying Kapanen/Brown 2-3M would b a big benefit.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:06 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I like how you did a modest cap increase, overpaid your depth, and even overpaid Nylander (see the cap chart: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/877874), and are still within the cap. The Matthews and Marner contracts are pretty much right on. Johnsson could get a bit more, but Rosen/and or Borgman will not be getting that much, Sparks will be getting closer to 8, Kappy is right on, and Leivo is likely gone, and for cheaper anyway. We have too much depth on the wing, that is cheaper for him to stay, especially at that price.

Unlike some.... posters ideas, the D is much better than thought.
Rielly is a stud.
Zaitzev looks to have recovered, and is a good 2nd pair guy.
Dermott is developing, should be a 2nd pair guy, and he can play both sides
I expect oz will still be on the team next year, and he will be a fine shut down guy.
Liljegren will likely make the team, and he should add lots of energy to that third pair.

Losing Gards will such, but what we are developing will be very, very good.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:12 p.m.
This really has nothing to do with this post other than it's a Leafs thing. Matthews has always been a good player but as was pointed out, hasn't won a scoring title (yet) hasn't won any major awards (yet) but its hilarious to me the Tavares factor. The Tavares factor has also somehow made Matthews a better player to fans. Even though they won't play on a line together unless its a power play somehow Matthews worth has raised since Tavares has joined the team. If he hadn't eveyone would still have high hopes for Matthews and what he can and will do but for some reason now that he's due for a new contract suddenly he's worth way more than if Tavares hadn't joined the team.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: JelloPony
This really has nothing to do with this post other than it's a Leafs thing. Matthews has always been a good player but as was pointed out, hasn't won a scoring title (yet) hasn't won any major awards (yet) but its hilarious to me the Tavares factor. The Tavares factor has also somehow made Matthews a better player to fans. Even though they won't play on a line together unless its a power play somehow Matthews worth has raised since Tavares has joined the team. If he hadn't eveyone would still have high hopes for Matthews and what he can and will do but for some reason now that he's due for a new contract suddenly he's worth way more than if Tavares hadn't joined the team.

If you mean my chart, he was going to get that anyways. Tavares just acts as a roof. Why is he going to get that, it's a number between McDavid and Eichel, and we all want 8 years, so other GM's who were desperate messed up the cap structure, and now we have to pay for it.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
If you mean my chart, he was going to get that anyways. Tavares just acts as a roof. Why is he going to get that, it's a number between McDavid and Eichel, and we all want 8 years, so other GM's who were desperate messed up the cap structure, and now we have to pay for it.

no no, honestly I never even saw your chart. It was just an observation. I'm not saying he's getting significantly more than he's worth, just I think Tavares has somehow also raised his value just by signing with Toronto.. don't agree? Think about it for a sec.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
no no, honestly I never even saw your chart. It was just an observation. I'm not saying he's getting significantly more than he's worth, just I think Tavares has somehow also raised his value just by signing with Toronto.. don't agree? Think about it for a sec.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see how jt signing raises his value, if anything I think it acts as an internal cap and lowers it.. plox explain
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:49 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM

Won a major league award his first season by beating out a very strong rookie class... But anyway...
JelloPony liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:50 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I like it but I am also hoping on that Russian d man too because liljergen will not be ready for another year at best IMO.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:50 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Logan:

To Ducks:
Nylander
Kappi

To leafs:
Montour
Kase

?
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:52 p.m.
Quoting: Davisoc
Won a major league award his first season by beating out a very strong rookie class... But anyway...

not trying to criticize or put him down or any of that I just simply think Tavares has raised his value lol and yes I was wrong about the the award.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 6:58 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
not trying to criticize or put him down or any of that I just simply think Tavares has raised his value lol and yes I was wrong about the the award.

Lol okay, I was going to say, thats a very important detail to leave out. I would personally love for his value to not increase too much. If he came in at 10,500,000 aav I would cry tears of sweet sweet joy.
JelloPony liked this.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 7:21 p.m.
Banned

Because if you don't pay him, he signs a short term deal and then he's gone. Fairly quickly too if the players manage to lower the RFA age in the new CBA. Which I think is likely.

Furthermore, salary value has little to do with any of that. It's more what you can get. Otherwise there aren't many players in the league right now who can claim to be worth more than 8.7 million.
But go on and tell me how you'd rather have JT than Crosby on your team.

One walks in the room and you are going to win the cup, the other, your a "contender"

Matthews will get more than 11. JT's deal is a floor. Caps gone up 3 years now since McDavids deal? I would be expecting he makes McDavid money, maybe even more. Because that's what happens when you sign a talented young player to a deal and you get the best years of their career. You gonna pay.
Oct. 2, 2018 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
Because if you don't pay him, he signs a short term deal and then he's gone. Fairly quickly too if the players manage to lower the RFA age in the new CBA. Which I think is likely.

Furthermore, salary value has little to do with any of that. It's more what you can get. Otherwise there aren't many players in the league right now who can claim to be worth more than 8.7 million.
But go on and tell me how you'd rather have JT than Crosby on your team.

One walks in the room and you are going to win the cup, the other, your a "contender"

Matthews will get more than 11. JT's deal is a floor. Caps gone up 3 years now since McDavids deal? I would be expecting he makes McDavid money, maybe even more. Because that's what happens when you sign a talented young player to a deal and you get the best years of their career. You gonna pay.

Lmao...matthews hasn't done anything yet and he gets more than tavares. Thank goodness your not a GM every player would be overpaid.
Random2152 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll