Forums/Armchair-GM

Creative 3-way Nylander deal

Created by: MelonVK
Team: 2018-19 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 13, 2018
Published: Nov. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm gonna get smoked, and I probably should, but hey! It's just for fun!
Trades
STL
  1. Carlo, Brandon
  2. Frederic, Trent
  3. 2019 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Nylander
BOS
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Nylander rights
BOS
  1. Markström, Jacob
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (VAN)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$74,184,835$774,000$2,887,500$5,315,165
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$916,667$916,667
RW, C
RFA - 1
$872,500$872,500 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 5
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:08 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Gofnut999
Rakell . Scwartz. Sorry

No IMO
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
No IMO

25 year old with b2b 30 goal seasons, Schwartz has never hit the 30 mark. plays all 3 FW spots and cheaper cap hit. I’ll take Rakell. So did NHL top 20 wings list. Came in at 18 and that included RW. Schwartz did not make the list.

Landy and Maxi Pad should be in the conversation as well
BeastMode5515 liked this.
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:13 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Gofnut999
25 year old with b2b 30 goal seasons, Schwartz has never hit the 30 mark. plays all 3 FW spots and cheaper cap hit. I’ll take Rakell. So did NHL top 20 list. Came in at 18 and that included RW. Schwartz did not make the list.

Landy and Maxi Pad should be in the conversation as well

Schwartz no doubt hits 30 if he doesnt get injured last year and he isnt the best goal scorer on his team unlike rakell and hes only 1 year older than rakell so age doesnt do much
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Instead of saying Carlo is bad, you might as well just say you haven’t seen him play and have only looked at his stat line. We all know it’s the case, might as well say it like it is

Carlo isnt bad at all. Defensively he's very solid. He's very young still so he obviously makes mistakes here and there, but he isnt that much far off from Edmundson or even Parayko in his own end. He's a less aggressive Edmundson from the right side.

That being said, I still wouldn't make this deal right now.
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: BluesGetTheCup
I have. He's fine. Advanced stats mostly show he's replaceable, he's got a bad relative CF%, he doesn't score, he takes more penalties than he draws etc etc. He's a third pairing defenseman.

CF% is just as useless in plus/minus which everyone seems to hate. If you're not out there with your line's top guys or out there for the other team's top line or 2(which Carlo is with Krug who is terrible defensively) then you're not going to have a good CF% whether it's relative to your team or otherwise. Plus, shots way out from the point or side of the boards that have very low chance of going count against the CF% even if you defend well. I'm still unsure why people use CF% as an individual stat when it's a team stat.

I could see them moving Pietrangelo. However, I can't see the Blues moving Schwartz at all.
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:30 p.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Instead of saying Carlo is bad, you might as well just say you haven’t seen him play and have only looked at his stat line. We all know it’s the case, might as well say it like it is

Seriously, Carlo is NOT bad, he is actually really good.
Bcarlo25 liked this.
Nov. 13, 2018 at 12:53 p.m.
I like it, just dont think that St. Louis would give up both Pietrangelo and Schwartz for just that.
Nov. 13, 2018 at 1:04 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: MelonVK
I have watched every Bruins game except maybe 4-5 for the last 3 seasons. I don't think Carlo looks good, I check stats to make sure I'm not using personal bias against him, and he looks just as bad.

You could have made that argument in the middle of last season where he definitely hit a wall. Very common for second year pros. He’s looked like a rock solid number 2 d man this year. Starting to jump up in the play more too. If only he could hit empty nets
Nov. 13, 2018 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: BluesGetTheCup
I mean I have... but okay. Personally, I don't see much difference between Carl Gunnarsson and Brandon Carlo. Though I will say, he's young so maybe he gets better. At the moment though he's just... a third pairing D man.

This statement is just absurd and shows you haven't watched Carlo or how he is used by Boston. The guy is playing top pairing minutes (as he did as a rookie), drawing teams top lines and playing the 2nd most minutes of anyone on the team (Chara 1st). His offense is still a work in progress, but his job is to stop teams from scoring and right now his oiSV% is 94.8%
Nov. 13, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
Unless I'm missing something, it seems like TOR could trade Nylander one-for-one for Pietrangelo from STL and not give up a 2nd to Boston. Then Boston just trades Carlo, Frederic, a 1st and a 2nd for Schwartz (which is an awful trade, imo).
Nov. 13, 2018 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
This statement is just absurd and shows you haven't watched Carlo or how he is used by Boston. The guy is playing top pairing minutes (as he did as a rookie), drawing teams top lines and playing the 2nd most minutes of anyone on the team (Chara 1st). His offense is still a work in progress, but his job is to stop teams from scoring and right now his oiSV% is 94.8%

Wait, did you just use on ice save % as a means of saying he's a good defenseman? Carlo's quality of competition is actually pretty low at 5v5 compared to others as well.

But honestly I don't need to argue on Capfriendly with someone about Brandon Carlo lol. So sure.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 8:20 a.m.
Bruins Fan
There is no chance Schwartz is worth Carlo, Frederic and a 1st. He's injury prone and over 18:30 atoi for the Blues. If he came here he'd be at 17 or less, so his numbers would likely go down making him less valuable.

Your valuation of Carlo sucks. You clearly never played defense or you'd understand the value of stopping the other team from doing what they're trying to do. He stops a ton of rushes and controls the front of the net, 2 things players like Krug suck at but don't show up in your little statistics. Chara has never been a great puck mover either any year of his career and he wasn't even very good until he was around 25 in Ottawa which Carlo still has 4 years to get to. I think you're just slow and you believe hype and thought that Carlo was going to have some fairy tale career because he made the NHL at 19 as a 2nd round pick.

The closest comparable to your Asshat rants on Carlo is when Art Williams had his head so far up his backside that he called Vincent Lecavalier the "Michael Jordan of Hockey". That's litterally about even with what you must have been expecting from Carlo if you aren't utterly impressed at what he's done thus far.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 9:53 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Breakaway
There is no chance Schwartz is worth Carlo, Frederic and a 1st. He's injury prone and over 18:30 atoi for the Blues. If he came here he'd be at 17 or less, so his numbers would likely go down making him less valuable.

Your valuation of Carlo sucks. You clearly never played defense or you'd understand the value of stopping the other team from doing what they're trying to do. He stops a ton of rushes and controls the front of the net, 2 things players like Krug suck at but don't show up in your little statistics. Chara has never been a great puck mover either any year of his career and he wasn't even very good until he was around 25 in Ottawa which Carlo still has 4 years to get to. I think you're just slow and you believe hype and thought that Carlo was going to have some fairy tale career because he made the NHL at 19 as a 2nd round pick.

The closest comparable to your Asshat rants on Carlo is when Art Williams had his head so far up his backside that he called Vincent Lecavalier the "Michael Jordan of Hockey". That's litterally about even with what you must have been expecting from Carlo if you aren't utterly impressed at what he's done thus far.

I couldn't care less if he was a 7th rounder or picked 1st overall. Here's the thing. I watch the games as much as you, and clearly we have differing opinions. So I'm being reasonable and looking at how he compares to other players with similair abilities. The 'good ones' all show up fine, the poor ones don't. There are stats for breaking up plays, and he gives up the blue line way to easily. Krug is better at the blue line anad better at the boards because his team ends up with the puck more often than when Carlo do the same things.

Stop putting poor anecdotes into my player evaluation, they aren't representative and have absolutely nothing to do with what I've said.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 6:46 a.m.
Bruins Fan
I couldn't care less if he was a 7th rounder or picked 1st overall. Here's the thing. I watch the games as much as you, and clearly we have differing opinions. So I'm being reasonable and looking at how he compares to other players with similair abilities. The 'good ones' all show up fine, the poor ones don't. There are stats for breaking up plays, and he gives up the blue line way to easily. Krug is better at the blue line anad better at the boards because his team ends up with the puck more often than when Carlo do the same things.

Stop putting poor anecdotes into my player evaluation, they aren't representative and have absolutely nothing to do with what I've said.

Krug gives up the Blue line way more easily. He has a freaking 3 foot stick. Krug's better once he steals the puck, but the thing you're missing is when Carlo wins a 50-50 puck and slaps it up the boards to the other team; it's still a good play. Everyone on the team would rather have the opposing defenseman with the puck at the blue line with a teammate in the area than have the opposing forward with the puck below the goal line. It's much more dangerous below the goal line. You clearly can't think it through and expect a DFD to have enough puck skills to retain possession which isn't accurate for most of the leagues DFD's. I think the statistics you use to measure how good someone is makes PMD's look way superior to DFD's. Carlo is about as good as Krug. I don't know who I'd label as the #3 or who the #4, but those are the slots they fit into. They are both good enough to log over 20 minutes of ice time.

Don't say anything about the anecdote. It's accurate. You already claimed you thought, as well as others that Carlo was going to be a clear #1 who took over for Chara. That's poor thinking, he was never at that level and just because you expected him to, as well as whomever you're talking about agreeing with you (probably rando's on here) doesn't mean he has less value now because he didn't reach it. To anyone who didn't buy the hype like an idiot; he's been widely successful and a great player for a 21 and under skater. The majority of prospects are typically in the AHL still at that age, but the Bruins have gotten a couple seasons of production already from Carlo, so his value is higher. Your view is warped because you came to the conclusion that if he can play at 19 in the NHL than he'll surely be an All Star by the time he's 22. Nothing is ever that simple, so it's your fault for doing that to yourself. Bottom line is everyone on here who's a Bruins fan isn't wrong about Carlo. Just you. The only people agreeing with you that he sucks or struggles is people that don't watch the games and just look at the statistics and then form their opinion solely off of how it looks on paper.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 8:15 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: Breakaway
Krug gives up the Blue line way more easily. He has a freaking 3 foot stick. Krug's better once he steals the puck, but the thing you're missing is when Carlo wins a 50-50 puck and slaps it up the boards to the other team; it's still a good play. Everyone on the team would rather have the opposing defenseman with the puck at the blue line with a teammate in the area than have the opposing forward with the puck below the goal line. It's much more dangerous below the goal line. You clearly can't think it through and expect a DFD to have enough puck skills to retain possession which isn't accurate for most of the leagues DFD's. I think the statistics you use to measure how good someone is makes PMD's look way superior to DFD's. Carlo is about as good as Krug. I don't know who I'd label as the #3 or who the #4, but those are the slots they fit into. They are both good enough to log over 20 minutes of ice time.

Don't say anything about the anecdote. It's accurate. You already claimed you thought, as well as others that Carlo was going to be a clear #1 who took over for Chara. That's poor thinking, he was never at that level and just because you expected him to, as well as whomever you're talking about agreeing with you (probably rando's on here) doesn't mean he has less value now because he didn't reach it. To anyone who didn't buy the hype like an idiot; he's been widely successful and a great player for a 21 and under skater. The majority of prospects are typically in the AHL still at that age, but the Bruins have gotten a couple seasons of production already from Carlo, so his value is higher. Your view is warped because you came to the conclusion that if he can play at 19 in the NHL than he'll surely be an All Star by the time he's 22. Nothing is ever that simple, so it's your fault for doing that to yourself. Bottom line is everyone on here who's a Bruins fan isn't wrong about Carlo. Just you. The only people agreeing with you that he sucks or struggles is people that don't watch the games and just look at the statistics and then form their opinion solely off of how it looks on paper.

Again, I watch ALL THE GAMES. Why is this so har to wrap your head around?
No, I never thought Carlo would become a #1 defenseman, and even if I did I wouldn't let that cloud my judgement. But again that was never the case. I was hoping he'd be a good 2nd pair defenseman, but I don't think he is. The reason I include him in hypothetical trades is because I believe the average person on this board, and the average GM in the league value him higher than I do.
Like clearly you're the ones having issues watching games if you think the length of the stick is what determines neutral zone breakups.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 8:37 a.m.
BreKel
I have watched every Bruins game except maybe 4-5 for the last 3 seasons. I don't think Carlo looks good, I check stats to make sure I'm not using personal bias against him, and he looks just as bad.

You don't watch a freaking lick if you think Carlo has been bad. He's been a defensive stud this season. Offense is lacking but everything else in his game has been stellar. Don't try and lie about watching every Bruins game
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:19 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: BreKel
You don't watch a freaking lick if you think Carlo has been bad. He's been a defensive stud this season. Offense is lacking but everything else in his game has been stellar. Don't try and lie about watching every Bruins game

Sure, try to force some agreement upon me. That's not how opinions or discussion forums work. Calm tf down

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll