Forums/Armchair-GM

NYLANDER to COL Landslide Win

Created by: ODOG67
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 15, 2018
Published: Nov. 15, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There's a fit here for both teams. My original thought was that the addition of Zadorov pushes Dermott up to the 2nd pairing, making Gardiner expendable in another trade. In order to pry Jost loose, Gardiner going back, along with a first brings the deal into balance. Between Nylander and Gardiner, COL realizes a minimum of 90 points, and approximately 70% more offense than they are likely to see this year between Jost and Zadorov. Before you get to hating, pause and consider the potential of an Avs roster wherein Nylander is lining up on the PP with any combination of Mackinnon, Rantannen and Landeskog. And the fact that he can and should be playing center -- something that will never happen in Toronto, along with the addition of a 50-point offensive D man in his prime. Huge get for COL. I get that giving up Jost is tough, but Leaf fans are living with a similar pain in losing Nylander, PLUS a very gifted defender. Likely, fans of both teams hate this, and that compels me to think it's probably pretty evenly balanced. Flame away, just come with a good argument.
Trades
COL
  1. Ennis, Tyler
  2. Gardiner, Jake
  3. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
RFA RIGHTS- Nylander, William
NOTE: In the event that Gardiner re-signs in COL, 2019 1st becomes a 2019 2nd and a 2020 2nd
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$63,919,166$2,550,000$6,250,000$15,580,834

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:27 p.m.
Not trying to "flame" as you put it, but I think this is a landslide loss for Toronto. Jost is nowhere near the player Nylander is (he could be a 60 point guy someday but Nylander is probably a 70-90 point player eventually) and Zadorov is a 2nd pairing LD at best, yet Toronto gives up a top 4 D and a 1st? I don't see why Toronto takes that.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:29 p.m.
*You forgot to add ottawa and colorado 2019 first round picks going to toronto
TanSor liked this.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:31 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
I really think the Leafs are getting killed here. They should not have to trade their 1st round pick for the package they got. Maybe if Makar was included. Zadorov is ok but Gardiner is certainly better and Nylander is definitely better than Jost
aedoran and TanSor liked this.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:36 p.m.
in terms of value i do think COL should take this deal under one condition: COL needs Nylander to agree to a reasonable extension prior to the trade. COL doesnt want to end up in the same situation with Nylander that TOR is in right now.

Also the condition on the 1st round pick doesnt make sense - the 2019 draft will likely happen before COL would sign Gardiner to an extension
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: CMac66
I really think the Leafs are getting killed here. They should not have to trade their 1st round pick for the package they got. Maybe if Makar was included. Zadorov is ok but Gardiner is certainly better and Nylander is definitely better than Jost

I agree not even close! People don't understand Toronto doesn't have to be fair if you sign Nylander for anything near what he wants Toronto gets your next 4 1st round picks and they have to be yours. There is no pressure to trade him Toronto has his rights I think until he becomes an UFA.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 10:30 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life

Thanks for weighing in. Here's why I disagree: as much as Nylander has little to no leverage in terms of an extension, Dubas has precious little

of the same when the tables are turned and we are talking about a trade. Historically speaking, and as Don waddell iterated today on TSN 1050 this morning, it's pretty difficult to get full market-value when youre forced to trade an impact guy. So on that basis, if TOR lands a 6'5" shutdown guy who has top PK skill, plus a top 6 cost-controlled former 10th overall forward who can line up at any position, you call it a win, because you've just shed a BOATLOAD of cap and you avoid the squeeze when you need to lock up Matthews and Marner to MASSIVE deals next summer. Summary: youre trading for top end talent you can afford, a shutdown piece you desperately need and cap space to avoid the pending crunch. Perfect outcome? Nope. Something that you can live with that actually helps you going forward? I think so.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 10:45 p.m.

They wouldn't even consider putting Makar in a deal for Karlsson, there is no way they would move him for Nylander. Avs laugh and hand up the phone at any mention of him being in any trade package .
Nov. 15, 2018 at 11:17 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: aedoran
I agree not even close! People don't understand Toronto doesn't have to be fair if you sign Nylander for anything near what he wants Toronto gets your next 4 1st round picks and they have to be yours. There is no pressure to trade him Toronto has his rights I think until he becomes an UFA.

$8,118,641 per year for 5 years = 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so it is possible, but I do not think any team would pay him that much, just my opinion.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 11:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Isn't it rather a dopey post, when there is no indication what the contract for Nylander is. I assume the Avs want him signed, instead of trading for his rights.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
$8,118,641 per year for 5 years = 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so it is possible, but I do not think any team would pay him that much, just my opinion.

Your right i just figured it was for 7 years. I also agree i wouldn't pay him that much. Would be able to sign him $8x5? He would most likely want more per year because most forwards peak between 26-28yrs old. So this contract he is signing very well be the highest he will see.
GMTD liked this.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 1:40 a.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Quoting: palhal
Isn't it rather a dopey post, when there is no indication what the contract for Nylander is. I assume the Avs want him signed, instead of trading for his rights.

That's a pretty dopey assumption and contrary to what's being discussed by analysts who claim the opposite to be true.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Edited Nov. 16, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: coga16
They wouldn't even consider putting Makar in a deal for Karlsson, there is no way they would move him for Nylander. Avs laugh and hand up the phone at any mention of him being in any trade package .

You must be tight with management
Nov. 16, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Quoting: ODOG67
Thanks for weighing in. Here's why I disagree: as much as Nylander has little to no leverage in terms of an extension, Dubas has precious little

of the same when the tables are turned and we are talking about a trade. Historically speaking, and as Don waddell iterated today on TSN 1050 this morning, it's pretty difficult to get full market-value when youre forced to trade an impact guy. So on that basis, if TOR lands a 6'5" shutdown guy who has top PK skill, plus a top 6 cost-controlled former 10th overall forward who can line up at any position, you call it a win, because you've just shed a BOATLOAD of cap and you avoid the squeeze when you need to lock up Matthews and Marner to MASSIVE deals next summer. Summary: youre trading for top end talent you can afford, a shutdown piece you desperately need and cap space to avoid the pending crunch. Perfect outcome? Nope. Something that you can live with that actually helps you going forward? I think so.

I'm not even talking about full market value. That trade has little value to the Leafs. The 6'5 shutdown guy is averaging 16 mins a game. That's 3rd pairing minutes and according to Mile High Hockey his ice time has been trending down. He's inconsistent and losing trust in the coaching staff so I don't think the Leafs trade and 'hope' he figures it out. Jost is still very raw albeit has good skills but obviously they haven't translated yet. Former (insert # here) pick, it doesn't matter, I'm trading for the player they are today, not who he was when he was drafted. His potential is attractive for sure but I'd want the Dman to be the centerpiece not the forward. The Leafs don't HAVE to trade Nylander... at all, and they certainly don't have to trade Gardiner. His contract can expire and he can move on, they did that with JVR and Bozak. To say that Dubas has little leverage is simply untrue. He's not up against anything that's forcing him to trade Nylander immediately. Then to have to trade the 2 best players in the deal plus a 1st? It's ridiculous to suggest Dubas has that little leverage he would have to do that.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.

or
I'm not even talking about full market value. That trade has little value to the Leafs. The 6'5 shutdown guy is averaging 16 mins a game. That's 3rd pairing minutes and according to Mile High Hockey his ice time has been trending down. He's inconsistent and losing trust in the coaching staff so I don't think the Leafs trade and 'hope' he figures it out. Jost is still very raw albeit has good skills but obviously they haven't translated yet. Former (insert # here) pick, it doesn't matter, I'm trading for the player they are today, not who he was when he was drafted. His potential is attractive for sure but I'd want the Dman to be the centerpiece not the forward. The Leafs don't HAVE to trade Nylander... at all, and they certainly don't have to trade Gardiner. His contract can expire and he can move on, they did that with JVR and Bozak. To say that Dubas has little leverage is simply untrue. He's not up against anything that's forcing him to trade Nylander immediately. Then to have to trade the 2 best players in the deal plus a 1st? It's ridiculous to suggest Dubas has that little leverage he would have to do that.

you do realize the guy that writes and runs that site now is a leafs fan who trolls the Avs fan base all the time. He is so out of touch with the Avs fan base there is a reason why the majority has turned its back on it and follows BSN for all Avs coverage
Nov. 16, 2018 at 2:55 p.m.

Or you know, its been reported from actual Avs beat writers during the summer when they were talking with the Sens about Karlsson
Nov. 16, 2018 at 3:13 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Quoting: coga16
or

you do realize the guy that writes and runs that site now is a leafs fan who trolls the Avs fan base all the time. He is so out of touch with the Avs fan base there is a reason why the majority has turned its back on it and follows BSN for all Avs coverage

Doesn't change the fact Zadorov is playing about 16 mins a night and hasn't eclipsed 20 one time. Also this trade is about Nylander not Karlsson. I probably wouldn't have traded Makar for a pending UFA at 29 years old that may not resign with my team either.... Nylander, however, would be a top 22 year old RW locked up for 8 years. I'd be more comfortable with that than a Karlsson trade.
If bashing a writer observing stats about a roller coaster player is the best response you have then I really don't think we have anything more to talk about.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 3:39 p.m.
Doesn't change the fact Zadorov is playing about 16 mins a night and hasn't eclipsed 20 one time. Also this trade is about Nylander not Karlsson. I probably wouldn't have traded Makar for a pending UFA at 29 years old that may not resign with my team either.... Nylander, however, would be a top 22 year old RW locked up for 8 years. I'd be more comfortable with that than a Karlsson trade.
If bashing a writer observing stats about a roller coaster player is the best response you have then I really don't think we have anything more to talk about.

Just pointing out if Mile High hockey is writing about something abotu the Leafs...he has an agenda as its his favorite team and likes to upset the Avs fan base about it

Zads can be moved, that owuldnt shock me but in reality his minutes arent that much different than last yer when Barrie and Johnson were healthy. When it was a healthy D core Zads didnt see what he averaged last year. Right now its healthy and they have Cole so his minutes arent drastically different when you look at the splits.

He should be playing more but Girard, Cole, Barrie, and Johnson have been pretty damn solid so he has to beat out one of those guys to get more ice time. Just cant do it.
Nylander isnt worth the price to acquire and sign in my opionion. nice to have, talented player but why would the Avs trade Makar+ for him (in some leaf fans minds) for a guy who would be on their 2nd line and asked to carry a line, not play with Matthews and Marner to create the 20 goal 60 point offense that he has so far.

I just dont see the draw in him

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll