Forums/Armchair-GM

Proposed Kadri to Wild trade

Created by: Juice
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 8, 2019
Published: Mar. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Minny trade based on proposal made on another thread by @MNBassman.

Carolina trade based on the assumption that Fox tells them he's not going to sign there and they give the Leafs permission to bang out a deal with him prior to making the trade.

I'd prefer to give Nylander stronger wingers to work with...but there's a chance to reshuffle things if Petan can fill in at 3C during injuries and Nylander moves up to a wing position. It's a flexible lineup.

I wonder if McQuaid will get better offers or if the fact Columbus traded for him and made him a healthy scratch makes it more likely he'll take a 'show-me' contract with a team that can give him playing time.

And Rosen might win a battle for a starting gig in training camp which provides more flexibility.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$700,000
2$3,000,000
3$3,700,000
2$900,000
8$11,160,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$1,100,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Fox, Adam
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Spurgeon, Jared ($2,593,750 retained)
Additional Details:
+ Louie Beldipo
TOR
    Adam Fox
    CAR
    1. Brown, Connor
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,000,000$77,155,949$0$82,500$5,844,051
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $11,160,000$11,160,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,700,000$3,700,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $2,593,750$2,593,750
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    Fox, Adam
    $925,000$925,000
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RD
    UFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $675,000$675,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW
    UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
    Analytics are good
    That's not bad to start, might have to add another piece outgoing to Minnesota. Maybe like a 2nd or a good prospect
    TanSor liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
    KFTW
    Adam Fox isn't available
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:22 a.m.
    Quoting: csick
    Adam Fox isn't available

Say hi to him for me next time you talk to him since you're so connected.

There's a log jam on the Carolina blueline. I'm sure they will look to move a piece or two...but when Fox says "I want to play in the NHL as soon as possible" I doubt that just means signing...he wants a chance to play...which he currently doesn't have in Carolina. So if they can't get him signed after his junior season, why wouldn't they look to recoup assets for him now? If he plays his senior season he's heading for free agency
    F50marco and GMTD liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:22 a.m.
    Quoting: PenGoater99
    That's not bad to start, might have to add another piece outgoing to Minnesota. Maybe like a 2nd or a good prospect

I thought it was a pretty generous offer from him...but wouldn't have an issue if the leafs needed to add a bit to firm it up
    GMTD liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
    MNBassman
    For the record, as I have proposed a million times, the trade I really want to make with the Leafs is Spurgeon for Kapanen and Zaitzev...but, I would consider this deal. And, I agree with others here, it's a bit lopsided going the Leafs' way. A 2nd would probably even things out. I'll take your 1st too grin
    TanSor and Juice liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:40 a.m.
    Quoting: MNBassman
    For the record, as I have proposed a million times, the trade I really want to make with the Leafs is Spurgeon for Kapanen and Zaitzev...but, I would consider this deal. And, I agree with others here, it's a bit lopsided going the Leafs' way. A 2nd would probably even things out. I'll take your 1st too grin

will you settle for Gardiner's rights? haha.

I really don't want to see either Kapanen or Kadri go but it is what it is...can't complain when the cap crunch is a result of guys preforming well
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    I'm on board with everything but the McQuaid signing. I'd rather a Muzzin - Dermott solid 2nd pair. Then you can play Rosen-Fox on 3rd pair (yes they are both rookies, but Rosen is 25, so not like its a pair of teenagers there).

I think McQuaid is a liability at this point. Borgman can be on the team and battle Rosen for a spot if we need to add a physical presence.

I would also flip Bracco & Kappy. Put the playmaker (bracco) with Matthews, and put the goal scorer (Kappy) with playmaker Nylander.
    Juice liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
    TML1991
    Quoting: MNBassman

If spurgeon had more control there might be picks needed, but he only has 1 year. Kadri / Zaitsev is more than fair.

you wont get Kap for a 29 year old dman with 1 year of control, regardless of how good he is. The leafs mgmt team has clearly shown they wont give up significant long term assets for a 1 year rental.
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:06 a.m.
    Quoting: Barilko14
    I'm on board with everything but the McQuaid signing. I'd rather a Muzzin - Dermott solid 2nd pair. Then you can play Rosen-Fox on 3rd pair (yes they are both rookies, but Rosen is 25, so not like its a pair of teenagers there).

I think McQuaid is a liability at this point. Borgman can be on the team and battle Rosen for a spot if we need to add a physical presence.

I would also flip Bracco & Kappy. Put the playmaker (bracco) with Matthews, and put the goal scorer (Kappy) with playmaker Nylander.

All fair points. I was kind of going with the concept that McQuaid is like the defensive version of Ennis. A vet you can either plug in or put in the pressbox on a cheap contract...but a useful tool to have in case of injuries. Bracco still needs to earn a spot on the roster for me...especially before I saddle him up beside Matthews...but if he impresses in training camp and can hang with Auston, it certainly makes the rest of the lineup look better
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
    I don’t mind the value until the wild retain that bit of salary. I’m just not sure they’d be interested in the deal if they had to eat that salary. I’m a leafs fan but I don’t see the incentive to take Zaitsev an overpaid d man and then eat salary. Seems too lopsided for the leafs. I’d rather move kap than Kadri
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:12 a.m.
    Analytics are good
    Quoting: Juice
    I thought it was a pretty generous offer from him...but wouldn't have an issue if the leafs needed to add a bit to firm it up

The only reason I suggested adding something is because of Zaitsev's contract. Including him in the deal does make the trade a bit lopsided, especially if you're retaining on Spurgeon.
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
    Quoting: Leafs_Fan_1986
    I don’t mind the value until the wild retain that bit of salary. I’m just not sure they’d be interested in the deal if they had to eat that salary. I’m a leafs fan but I don’t see the incentive to take Zaitsev an overpaid d man and then eat salary. Seems too lopsided for the leafs. I’d rather move kap than Kadri

Offer came from Minnesota's side in a separate thread I had looking to get Kadri's trade value...I just wanted to see how it would look. A lot of people confuse Zaitsev's contract with his quality of play. He's got about $1m of undesirable AAV and maybe 1 year of term too long. But he's a quality defenceman. And if Minny has the cap space to spare, eating salary on Spurgeon for one year to acquire a great contract in Kadri isn't the end of the world if he's a guy you really want.
    GMTD and MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
    well if a wild fan through it out there I’m ok with it. My personal preference is to move kap in a deal centered around a #1 rhd. I prefer Kadris grit and I think Nylander is a superior player leaving kap as the guy I’d move.
    Juice and MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:18 a.m.
    Quoting: PenGoater99
    The only reason I suggested adding something is because of Zaitsev's contract. Including him in the deal does make the trade a bit lopsided, especially if you're retaining on Spurgeon.

I don't think Zaitsev has significant trade value...but I don't think he's a cap dump either. He's played some reliable D...and looks even better when he's not tasked with covering for Gardiner. Not to dog on Gardiner...I think he's a great offensive D-man...but I don't think Zaitsev is always ready to make the quick adjustment when Gardiner goes off script. It's been a while since the leafs have given up a goal that could be pinned on Zaitsev
    Barilko14 and MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:21 a.m.
    well if a wild fan through it out there I’m ok with it. My personal preference is to move kap in a deal centered around a #1 rhd. I prefer Kadris grit and I think Nylander is a superior player leaving kap as the guy I’d move.

The way I see it there's 2 spots available for Kadri, Nylander and Kapanen to fill given the Leafs' need to move cap space and the fact that Kadri-Nylander can play the same role and Nylander-Kapanen can play the same role.

For what it's worth, I'd think Minnesota might prefer Kapanen to Kadri in this exact same deal...but my gut says that Dubas prefers both Nylander and Kapanen to Kadri.
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:23 a.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    One too many Adams on the blue line... think I would stick with Oz and Dermott on the bottom pair. I do like the spurgeon trade and if they were seeking more I would add a conditional for the re sign.
    Juice liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:23 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    All fair points. I was kind of going with the concept that McQuaid is like the defensive version of Ennis. A vet you can either plug in or put in the pressbox on a cheap contract...but a useful tool to have in case of injuries. Bracco still needs to earn a spot on the roster for me...especially before I saddle him up beside Matthews...but if he impresses in training camp and can hang with Auston, it certainly makes the rest of the lineup look better

Bracco has taken a pretty big leap in his development the last couple of years. The reason I like him with Matthews is his playmaking ability. Typically maybe he breaks in 30 pt rookie, but if he found chemistry with Matthews (they actually played together for USNDTP) who is the best 5v5 scorer in the league then, maybe he's a 40 or 50 pt rookie. We are starting to see guys ceilings get adjusted by being able to play with our superstar stable of centres.

Would also allow Nylander/Kappy to dominate lesser comp.

But, I'm sure going forward, there will be lineup adjustments, just like this year, and maybe Bracco starts on the more sheltered Nylander 3rd line.
    Juice liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:27 a.m.
    Quoting: Barilko14
    Bracco has taken a pretty big leap in his development the last couple of years. The reason I like him with Matthews is his playmaking ability. Typically maybe he breaks in 30 pt rookie, but if he found chemistry with Matthews (they actually played together for USNDTP) who is the best 5v5 scorer in the league then, maybe he's a 40 or 50 pt rookie. We are starting to see guys ceilings get adjusted by being able to play with our superstar stable of centres.

Would also allow Nylander/Kappy to dominate lesser comp.

But, I'm sure going forward, there will be lineup adjustments, just like this year, and maybe Bracco starts on the more sheltered Nylander 3rd line.

Ya...didn't mean to dog on Bracco...just my personality tends to remain pessimistic on prospects until they prove it at the NHL level. Sparks was the best goalie in the AHL last year but he's not winning many people over as even a backup right now. They've played well enough for the Marlies to earn a shot...the rest is up to them to see how far they can run with it.
    GMTD liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:28 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    With Fenton willing to shake up the team with a rebuild/retool, and the fact Minny has a boatload of cap room going into next season right now, Spurgeon may be a legit top target of the Leafs this summer.

I also wouldn't mind pairing the bigger more physical Muzzin with Spurgeon on a shutdown line, and pairing Rielly and Dermott together to go against other teams 2nd lines (at home) and let Rielly dominate.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:45 a.m.
    Eichel Tower
    If I could have the Brown, Kadri and Zaitsev of two years ago, I would trade Ristolainen, Reinhart and a first. But alas, we are trading the current version of the three players. More to the point, will their performance level in Toronto translate to similar production in Buffalo.
    I would like to add Brown to the Sabres, he would be a great addition to the bottom six. I think Carolina fans view Fox the same as Sabre fans view Nylander, both good prospects but only prospects.
    I think Kadri is Brad Marchand light. An instigator who can score a few goals. I would like to add him as my #2 center a position that the Sabres need to fill.
    We completely agree about Zaitsev, he is over paid by about $1,000,000 but still brings talent to the team.
    I think the Leafs need to make cap space therefor Kadri and Zaitsev are being moved or being the players targeted. So here is my offer: Ristolainen (25% retention), Girgensons and Nylander for Brown, Kadri, Zaitsev and 2019 second.
    Juice, MNBassman and gretzkyghosts liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 11:58 a.m.
    Quoting: GMTD
    If I could have the Brown, Kadri and Zaitsev of two years ago, I would trade Ristolainen, Reinhart and a first. But alas, we are trading the current version of the three players. More to the point, will their performance level in Toronto translate to similar production in Buffalo.
    I would like to add Brown to the Sabres, he would be a great addition to the bottom six. I think Carolina fans view Fox the same as Sabre fans view Nylander, both good prospects but only prospects.
    I think Kadri is Brad Marchand light. An instigator who can score a few goals. I would like to add him as my #2 center a position that the Sabres need to fill.
    We completely agree about Zaitsev, he is over paid by about $1,000,000 but still brings talent to the team.
    I think the Leafs need to make cap space therefor Kadri and Zaitsev are being moved or being the players targeted. So here is my offer: Ristolainen (25% retention), Girgensons and Nylander for Brown, Kadri, Zaitsev and 2019 second.

This is also a solid offer depending on how highly Dubas views Ristolainen. The Minny trade gives up a bit more cap flexibility but this could definitely work too.

What's Girgensons likely going to cost to re-up?
    GMTD and MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 12:02 p.m.
    I would prefer the leafs chase Pesce from Carolina I think there is a fit there centered around kap going the other way. Better contract and love the player. I completely agree that there is only room for 2 of Kadri, Nylander and kap. Nylander should stay as I think he’ll end up being a bargain contract moving forward
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
    Eichel Tower
    This is also a solid offer depending on how highly Dubas views Ristolainen. The Minny trade gives up a bit more cap flexibility but this could definitely work too.

What's Girgensons likely going to cost to re-up?

I do not have the tools that the GM's can use, but IMO it would be about the same as he is earning. Yes the MIN trade does provide more cap space, but Ristolainen is younger and signed for a decent term. I know my fellow Sabre's fan would rail against taking on Zaitsev salary, but with Montour, Ristolainen is sort of redundant.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    The Minni trade would have possibilities. Leafs need cap space....Minni trades one year of Spurgeon for 8 NHL year of Kadri/Zaitsev. Despite the rumours, Zaitsev is competent and is a minute eating Dman.
    If Fox is ready to turn pro, I imagine he sign with Carolina and if Carolina want to a roster spot for him they can trade one of their other DMen.
    MNBassman liked this.
    Mar. 8, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
    I would prefer the leafs chase Pesce from Carolina I think there is a fit there centered around kap going the other way. Better contract and love the player. I completely agree that there is only room for 2 of Kadri, Nylander and kap. Nylander should stay as I think he’ll end up being a bargain contract moving forward

I prefer Pesce too I just don’t see the same avenue to shed enough salary in the process
    MNBassman liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll