Forums/Armchair-GM

PSA CF fans - Ottawa doesnt need or want your garbage players

Created by: F50marco
Team: 2019-20 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 12, 2019
Published: Jun. 12, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
**** THE POINT HERE IS NOT TO SAY THEY CAN'T TAKE ON BAD CONTRACTS. IT IS THAT IF YOU OFFER A CAP DUMP PLAYER, THE RETURN HAS TO BE WORTH IT. A 4TH ROUNDER IS NOT WORTH IT*****

This is Ottawa if I just signed their RFA's to modest contracts. Nothing more...... Whatever is signed White and Ceci to 5M. Doesn't matter, even if it was 2-3M they'd still be over the floor.
Now throw in that they will try to probably get a washed up Spezza for leadership and maybe a vet on defense......boom 70M projected cap....

Some of examples of players Ottawa won't take "off your hands" for a measly upgrade of a 4th to a 3rd round pick or a free 4th liner that they already have oodles of, are:

Eaves, Phaneuf, Alzner, MacDonald, Perry, Lucic, Jack Johnson, Eriksson, Okposo, etc

I don't know if you noticed but their owner is dinkus who doesn't want to spend money on guys like Stone, Karlsson, Duchene. I don't think he is in business of upgrading some low picks and nobody 4th liners for millions of actual dollars he doesn't actually have anymore.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$5,000,000
2$3,000,000
5$5,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$65,024,166$0$4,045,000$17,975,834
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,937,500$2,937,500
C
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$755,000$755,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Do you think Melnyk would tell Dorion to spend millions of dollars on cap dumps just to get a couple extra 3rd and 4th round picks?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:43 a.m.
Too bad he can't pull the Be a GM trick from the NHL game and just sign a veteran for like 14 million dollars to hit the cap floor....
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: newballcoach
Too bad he can't pull the Be a GM trick from the NHL game and just sign a veteran for like 14 million dollars to hit the cap floor....

He doesn't need to though..... just signing their RFA's to normal contracts gets them over. No need to do anything rash to make it work.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
He doesn't need to though..... just signing their RFA's to normal contracts gets them over. No need to do anything rash to make it work.

True. But are you guys happy with the term given a guy like Ceci? They want to compete in 2-3 years, I'm not sure you want Ceci if you're trying to compete.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
Quoting: newballcoach
True. But are you guys happy with the term given a guy like Ceci? They want to compete in 2-3 years, I'm not sure you want Ceci if you're trying to compete.

Ceci sucks but he's also misused. Either way, who cares? They don't have better options now nor do they know for sure that they have better options in the future yet so might as well stick with what you know. 5M for 5 years isn't going to break the bank. In 2-3 years he could be traded or bought out, whatever.
To be fair, they would actually improve this roster.
Well, in fairness you may need to.

There is a cap floor & as you said Owner is Cheap. I don't see him paying White or Ceci 5m per (I think Ceci Tried last year?), he pretty much had the exact same season he has always had, so I don't see his salary doubling. I think White will be a good player, but I am not sure he slots in at 5m yet.

Ottawa has some really good young talent, but you aren't going to attract any free agents at this point (good ones at least) and Melnyk won't pay them anyway. You have money now, so the best way to build is to take on these bad contracts and get picks or prospects in return. Not saying a 4th for Lucic or anything because he has too many years left, but if you could get a 2nd or 3rd to take on a guy like Phaneuf, it would be stupid not to. You don't need the money and you need young talent. With the way Bos, Tor and Tampa are build (and even MTL and Buffalo) I don't see the Sens having any chance in the next 2-3 years or sniffing the playoffs. Obviously depends on drafting and development, but... get assets now and be a power house with Tkchauk, Whitem, Chabot the only real guys getting paid.

I mean - you then have to draft well, or you end up the coyotes...
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
Quoting: claytron8000
To be fair, they would actually improve this roster.

Is that Ottawa's goal this year or next? To improve their roster? Looks to me like its full rebuild and that means using no extra money on improving the roster from outside the organization to me.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
David Clarkson for Ben Harpur and a 5th to help Ottawa reach the cap floor after they move Boedker, Ceci and Anderson.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:57 a.m.
I agree with you in that the Sens shouldn't take spare parts from teams for bad contracts as they don't need help to reach the cap floor; however, they should listen to offers for good returns for taking bad contracts. Personally I would take on a guy like Perry, Eaves, Callahan,, Sekera etc. (guys with one or two years left) for some good picks/prospects (NOT 4th LINERS) but stay away from guys like Erickson, Lucic and Alzner (guys with lots of term). I really think Ottawa should target Vegas and get Holden/Reeves/Haula for next to nothing to help them out with their cap then flip those guys at the deadline for more mid picks and bring younger guys up later in the year (allow them some time to develop in the minors)
Ottawasean liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 10:57 a.m.
Is that Ottawa's goal this year or next? To improve their roster? Looks to me like its full rebuild and that means using no extra money on improving the roster from outside the organization to me.

I was kidding, but in all honesty, I'm not a fan of throwing the cap space at suspect RFAs to reach the floor. Why not use this as an opportunity to build and acquire talent? If you take on a struggling player with a bad contract you can get a pick or a prospect. If you throw money at Cody Ceci you create your own contract problem for when the team is ready to compete.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
Lenny7
I agree that there's no reason to just start grabbing bad contracts, especially if the assets coming back are 3rd-7th rounders, or 4th liners (bUt He WoUlD sCoRe 90 If He PlAyEd WiTh McJeSuS...). If you can use the space to your advantage, and get back some legitimate talent like Vegas did when they took on those contracts, you should absolutely do it, but you're right, it's not that hard to get to the floor, and your owner is the worst.

I do think that there's an opportunity in FA this year though. There's a ton of top level talent, and only so much money to go around. Ottawa could surprise some people and make a sneaky signing or two out of the top 30 available.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:03 a.m.
Quoting: Propeller09
Well, in fairness you may need to.

There is a cap floor & as you said Owner is Cheap. I don't see him paying White or Ceci 5m per (I think Ceci Tried last year?), he pretty much had the exact same season he has always had, so I don't see his salary doubling. I think White will be a good player, but I am not sure he slots in at 5m yet.

Ottawa has some really good young talent, but you aren't going to attract any free agents at this point (good ones at least) and Melnyk won't pay them anyway. You have money now, so the best way to build is to take on these bad contracts and get picks or prospects in return. Not saying a 4th for Lucic or anything because he has too many years left, but if you could get a 2nd or 3rd to take on a guy like Phaneuf, it would be stupid not to. You don't need the money and you need young talent. With the way Bos, Tor and Tampa are build (and even MTL and Buffalo) I don't see the Sens having any chance in the next 2-3 years or sniffing the playoffs. Obviously depends on drafting and development, but... get assets now and be a power house with Tkchauk, Whitem, Chabot the only real guys getting paid.

I mean - you then have to draft well, or you end up the coyotes...

OK let's be realistic here. Melnyk is not going to start trading RFA's because they get fairly normal upgrades in pay. He still wants a team at the end of the day.

As for players $$, fine I'll bring them all down. its not the point. They're still going to be over the floor.

As for your last sentiment, you must be in LA-LA land? I agree with your point wholeheartedly. I would be taking on every terrible contract possible. My point was lets be realistic. Upgrading a 3rd to a 2nd rounder for Phaneufs 10+ mil still owed? Are you nuts? 10M for a 2nd round pick.... Melnyk isn't that type of owner in case you haven't noticed. Those picks or prospects may not even amount to anything but that money is a huge factor, especially for him.

Anyways, I'm not saying they CAN'T take on a bad contract or two, but it has to be worth it. A lousy upgrade of a pick or a player that would be on the 3rd/4th line isn't a good enough incentive.

Normal Gms' and normal owners and normal organizations can make these financial decisions simply at the cost of money for the betterment of their future team. Not Ottawa.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:05 a.m.
Quoting: MGK
David Clarkson for Ben Harpur and a 5th to help Ottawa reach the cap floor after they move Boedker, Ceci and Anderson.

Whose helping who here? If they have to pay to get back over the cap, they can do it without costing their team futures. That's just silly.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: claytron8000
I was kidding, but in all honesty, I'm not a fan of throwing the cap space at suspect RFAs to reach the floor. Why not use this as an opportunity to build and acquire talent? If you take on a struggling player with a bad contract you can get a pick or a prospect. If you throw money at Cody Ceci you create your own contract problem for when the team is ready to compete.

I think you are misunderstanding my premise. Taking on a bad cap player isn't out of the question. Its only out of the question for a lousy 3rd rounder. if you want to send Lucic to Ottawa, best believe a 1st rounder and Pulujujarvi is coming with him. In return you can get a 6th rounder and Borowiecki.

As for Ceci, holy crap man. Its 5M bucks on a 80+ mil cap!!! Will Ottawa implode because they a 5M Ceci in the lineup? even if he sucks, trade him, buy him out, sit him, send him to the minors ect etc etc

Anyone who thinks this team is a contender in 2 years is dreaming in technicolor.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
Quoting: wardbell92
I agree with you in that the Sens shouldn't take spare parts from teams for bad contracts as they don't need help to reach the cap floor; however, they should listen to offers for good returns for taking bad contracts. Personally I would take on a guy like Perry, Eaves, Callahan,, Sekera etc. (guys with one or two years left) for some good picks/prospects (NOT 4th LINERS) but stay away from guys like Erickson, Lucic and Alzner (guys with lots of term). I really think Ottawa should target Vegas and get Holden/Reeves/Haula for next to nothing to help them out with their cap then flip those guys at the deadline for more mid picks and bring younger guys up later in the year (allow them some time to develop in the minors)

Re edited the title and description because people weren't getting the premise of this AGM.
wardbell92 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
I agree that there's no reason to just start grabbing bad contracts, especially if the assets coming back are 3rd-7th rounders, or 4th liners (bUt He WoUlD sCoRe 90 If He PlAyEd WiTh McJeSuS...). If you can use the space to your advantage, and get back some legitimate talent like Vegas did when they took on those contracts, you should absolutely do it, but you're right, it's not that hard to get to the floor, and your owner is the worst.

I do think that there's an opportunity in FA this year though. There's a ton of top level talent, and only so much money to go around. Ottawa could surprise some people and make a sneaky signing or two out of the top 30 available.

Re-edited the title and description to clarify what this AGM meant.
Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
Lenny7
Re-edited the title and description to clarify what this AGM meant.

Thumbs up.

Do you see them making any sneaky signings? I know that Melnyk is a cheap idiot, but if they wanted to, they could surprise some people, especially if they chase after the money-first type players available.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:21 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Thumbs up.

Do you see them making any sneaky signings? I know that Melnyk is a cheap idiot, but if they wanted to, they could surprise some people, especially if they chase after the money-first type players available.

From all indications, no. Why would they and who would actually want to sign in Ottawa for an extra 1M more than NYR/CHI/TB or whomever?

I actually don't mind the Ottawa plan right now. This team will be trash for the next couple of years but they are slowly accruing tons of prospects. This will make Melnyk happy by saving cap dollars and slowly build a team worthy of spending big dollars on, when he has it again.
Lenny7 and JayTea liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
People on CF always try to get rid of contracts for next to nothing. But in reality if you take on a bad contract, you will get something of high value in return.

I will never forget how the hawks traded Bickell to get rid of his 2 year 4 mil contract and had to add teuvo to the deal. Still heartbroken.
Lenny7 and JayTea liked this.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
I think Ottawa would be smart to take on 1 or 2 year cap dumps to collect picks/prospects but none 3 or longer unless of course someone is willing to pay them with a very early pick or prime young player then maybe.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I think Ottawa would be smart to take on 1 or 2 year cap dumps to collect picks/prospects but none 3 or longer unless of course someone is willing to pay them with a very early pick or prime young player then maybe.

Yes I never understood on here, the veteran capdumps for Ottawa late picks, why is ottawa giving up any picks on capdumps without getting a better pick back
Jun. 12, 2019 at 12:35 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: TheJonSnow
People on CF always try to get rid of contracts for next to nothing. But in reality if you take on a bad contract, you will get something of high value in return.

I will never forget how the hawks traded Bickell to get rid of his 2 year 4 mil contract and had to add teuvo to the deal. Still heartbroken.

Indeed. People on here seriously underestimate how much cap space is worth to a contender. You're not dumping a contract without taking back an equally bad one or giving up a solid draft pick or prospect.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: TheJonSnow

Quoting: JayTea
Indeed. People on here seriously underestimate how much cap space is worth to a contender. You're not dumping a contract without taking back an equally bad one or giving up a solid draft pick or prospect.

Exactly. People forget that its not just assets to gain without any affect. Its liquid cash being lost. Ottawa taking on Andrew Macdonald for example for a 4th rounder or a player on another teams 4th line that they don't really need, is still 5.75M in actual dollars of AMac they'd have to spend out of a cheap owners pocket. For what? An extra pick in a draft where most 4th round picks don't amount to anything? Or a 3rd /4th liner who doesn't really help Ottawa rebuild or get better quickly. So where is the incentive?

That's why you rarely see teams take that risk because in most cases its not worth it. Bickell trade being prime example. Rather than buy out Bickell and not resign a 1-2M player they normally would have resigned, they lost a future top line player. The picks they got didn't amount to anything.

Chicago basically gave Teuvo to Carolina for free. That's why most teams should avoid trading cap dumps at all costs (unless the price is very palatable). in most cases the cap saved isn't worth the assets you lost trading the cap dump in the first place. By that same token, teams willing to take cap dumps aren't doing from the kindness of their hearts. They want to try and extract as much value as possible. Not just settle for a 3rd-4th round pick] or nobody prospect/player.
Jun. 12, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
Mcarthur and gaborik for Sutter and Eriksson-from Canucks?
Jun. 12, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
Talking Senators
Thank you for this post

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit