Forums/NHL Trades

(WSH/PHI) - Niskanen for Gudas

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 14, 2019 at 12:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: HabsForEver
Caps traded him because of his cap hit. They got worse in this trade but traded nearly 5 Million Dollars in cap space. Niskanen is the far superior player here, but the Capitals have a cap crunch

Capitals got worse? Hardly. Niskanen is glorified bc of how good orlov is. Top four going into the season was

Kemp Carlson
Orlov. Jensen

Niskanen has lost a step. And the caps have 3.6 m extra in cap space hardly making them worse.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I'm beyond thrilled that we were able to save a bunch of money by moving Niskanen and get a serviceable, replacement defenseman. It frees up so much space for us to resign Hagelin and even make another move in the offseason. His physicality also replaces Orpik, which means he's good as gone. A fantastic move by GMBM, better than I was hoping for honestly.
capsin9 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: capsin9
Capitals got worse? Hardly. Niskanen is glorified bc of how good orlov is. Top four going into the season was

Kemp Carlson
Orlov. Jensen

Niskanen has lost a step. And the caps have 3.6 m extra in cap space hardly making them worse.

XDXD I'm done arguing with a Bias Caps fan. You don't have to try and convince me that Gudas is better than Niskanen, cause we both know it's not true
Jun. 14, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
Banned
XDXD I'm done arguing with a Bias Caps fan. You don't have to try and convince me that Gudas is better than Niskanen, cause we both know it's not true

Im not saying he’s better. I’m saying Niskanen isn’t a guy that’s fits into our top 4 anymore. Saying we got worse just isn’t true. Saying Gudas is a slight downgrade at the third pairing rhd spot is true but the cap space we saved makes us better plus again Niskanen had an awful season last year
Jun. 14, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Buljujarvi
Niskanen comes with a price tag
Jun. 14, 2019 at 1:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Lots of votes for Washington winning the trade. It's close IMO. WSH gets cap space but i think Niskanen is the better player.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 2:50 p.m.
Im not saying he’s better. I’m saying Niskanen isn’t a guy that’s fits into our top 4 anymore. Saying we got worse just isn’t true. Saying Gudas is a slight downgrade at the third pairing rhd spot is true but the cap space we saved makes us better plus again Niskanen had an awful season last year

You just said Gudas is a slight downgrade but won't admit that the caps got worse in this trade??? I agree Caps win this deal, but saying you didn't get worse is a joke.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Lots of votes for Washington winning the trade. It's close IMO. WSH gets cap space but i think Niskanen is the better player.

That's the truth. Cap save nearly 5 MIllion in cap space and replace a guy who was going to play on their 3rd pairing anyways. They got slightly worse but saved a ton of money
Jun. 14, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
You just said Gudas is a slight downgrade but won't admit that the caps got worse in this trade??? I agree Caps win this deal, but saying you didn't get worse is a joke.

Not a joke. If your are being shortsighted then yeah caps lost Niskanen who is slightly better than Gudas but long term like a few weeks from now we have 3+ million to spend on ufa and rfas making us better. Imo Jensen is better currently than Niskanen and slightly downgrading my 3rd pairing isn’t making us “much worse”. I guess I wasn’t being as shortsighted as you.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Not a joke. If your are being shortsighted then yeah caps lost Niskanen who is slightly better than Gudas but long term like a few weeks from now we have 3+ million to spend on ufa and rfas making us better. Imo Jensen is better currently than Niskanen and slightly downgrading my 3rd pairing isn’t making us “much worse”. I guess I wasn’t being as shortsighted as you.

I'm talking about this trade and this trade only. I know it helps them in the future and now. I am talking about Niskanen being better than Gudas. That and that only.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
Banned
I'm talking about this trade and this trade only. I know it helps them in the future and now. I am talking about Niskanen being better than Gudas. That and that only.

I would have to agree with you strictly focusing on this trade only
HabsForEver liked this.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
I would have to agree with you strictly focusing on this trade only

I said Washington won this trade despite them getting worse... that means I am looking at the future as well.
capsin9 liked this.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 4:16 p.m.
Banned
I said Washington won this trade despite them getting worse... that means I am looking at the future as well.

Fair enough. I think it’s close to even honestly bc even if Niskanen is losing a step or two he’s still going to help philly. His cap hit is high but not my pig not my farm
HabsForEver liked this.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
GM67
I think the Caps win here overall because now they can push for another player in free agency and Gudas's salary is no big deal plus over a million is retained which is terrific and it's a very short deal. Gudas will walk in free agency because he will probably end up suspended 3 times during the season anyways.
capsin9 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 3:43 a.m.
I think the cap space opening up for WASH settles this deal. Actually, I'm not sure why PHI made this deal at all...unless they just wanted Gudas gone? But why surrender so much if that were the case? Why fire Hextall in the first place? PHI has been a disaster since that day.
HabsForEver liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 3:55 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I think the cap space opening up for WASH settles this deal. Actually, I'm not sure why PHI made this deal at all...unless they just wanted Gudas gone? But why surrender so much if that were the case? Why fire Hextall in the first place? PHI has been a disaster since that day.

Niskanen is an upgrade for sure and they have the cap space.

It doesn't change them from pretenders to contenders though. They are still on the outside looking in. I can't see why Philly would make this trade unless they just wanted to change things up.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 5:56 a.m.
Niskanen is an upgrade for sure and they have the cap space.

It doesn't change them from pretenders to contenders though. They are still on the outside looking in. I can't see why Philly would make this trade unless they just wanted to change things up.

I have a distinct feeling that they will at least attempt to trade Gostisbehere this summer, perhaps at the draft. He carries a reasonable cap hit, but he's been very inconsistent defensively. He's pretty one dimensional. PHI has loads of talent. They could be for real if they sign Hayes and coach A.V. provides them w/ good defensive structure, something they've been missing big time the last several seasons. But, that's a lot of "if's".
HabsForEver liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 4:44 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Niskanen is still a solid Dman in this league. Gudas is just a Dman who gets suspended lol.

Big win for Philly!!
Jun. 15, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
Quoting: Missouri
Niskanen is still a solid Dman in this league. Gudas is just a Dman who gets suspended lol.

Big win for Philly!!

Read my comment.

They get a tiny bit better despite taking on an extra 4 Million dollars in cap space. It makes them better, but Washington wins the trade.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
Banned
Solid 3rd pairing dman. For a great cap hit. Idc if he’s dirty....,bc he’s on my team now. smile

Quoting: biglite351
Gudas is garbage (dirty). Not the direction I want to go. however, went from $5.75M cap hit to $2.3M, that opens a good amount of space for actual quality.

Caps pulled this trade because wilson lost his balls after getting millions in fines. He is clearly not the same player anymore and everyone knows it. Because the next mistake might cost him a half season to a season.
Gudas on the other hand is just dumb as dirt and just as dirty.
Honestly, I'm not surprised washington traded for him. They are a dirty team.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: pharrow
Caps pulled this trade because wilson lost his balls after getting millions in fines. He is clearly not the same player anymore and everyone knows it. Because the next mistake might cost him a half season to a season.
Gudas on the other hand is just dumb as dirt and just as dirty.
Honestly, I'm not surprised washington traded for him. They are a dirty team.

You sound stupid. Wilson was on a 50 plus point pace this year. I also recall him destroying Ian Cole and oleksiak. He’s just playing smart he didn’t lose his balls. He’s still physical and will destroy 99%! Of the league. He’s just eliminated the thoughtless dirty hits from his game. Haha he lost his balls what an idiot. Remember your gm called him out then he destroyed oleksiak. Literally in 3 seconds. Haha I’m laughing at how dumb that comment was. Haha i seriously have like 40 people to send this screen shot to

Dirty team. Haha I love it. ??
Jun. 15, 2019 at 8:43 p.m.
Banned
You sound stupid. Wilson was on a 50 plus point pace this year. I also recall him destroying Ian Cole and oleksiak. He’s just playing smart he didn’t lose his balls. He’s still physical and will destroy 99%! Of the league. He’s just eliminated the thoughtless dirty hits from his game. Haha he lost his balls what an idiot. Remember your gm called him out then he destroyed oleksiak. Literally in 3 seconds. Haha I’m laughing at how dumb that comment was. Haha i seriously have like 40 people to send this screen shot to

Dirty team. Haha I love it. ??

you post like a 5 year old.

PS, he lost his balls and everyone knows it. It was one thing for him to go out there head hunting when the fines were a few hundred thousand and he knew he'd get paid for doing it. It's a different thing when he's actually got the money now. There is a substantial difference in his play since the OS hit and suspension. Has nothing to do with points. Everything to do with everything else he brought onto the ice that disappeared from his game.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 8:49 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: pharrow
you post like a 5 year old.

PS, he lost his balls and everyone knows it. It was one thing for him to go out there head hunting when the fines were a few hundred thousand and he knew he'd get paid for doing it. It's a different thing when he's actually got the money now. There is a substantial difference in his play since the OS hit and suspension. Has nothing to do with points. Everything to do with everything else he brought onto the ice that disappeared from his game.

Hahaha has nothing to do with points? Wilson is still a top 10 hitter. .... actually don’t care to argue with you. You’re not worth my time. He’s playing smart doesn’t mean he lost his balls. You’re too stupid to realize the difference but again you aren’t smart.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
When calling someone else stupid and dumb, etc for saying that someone lost their balls this year... don't bring up that player destroying someone that didn't play for that guys team this year... You kind of lose your thunder when you do that. It also isn't that great to call someone stupid and dumb while praising dirty, intent to injure style of play.

Wilson would be a great player is he wasn't a complete moron on the ice. Gudas is worse.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:54 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: biglite351
When calling someone else stupid and dumb, etc for saying that someone lost their balls this year... don't bring up that player destroying someone that didn't play for that guys team this year... You kind of lose your thunder when you do that. It also isn't that great to call someone stupid and dumb while praising dirty, intent to injure style of play.

Wilson would be a great player is he wasn't a complete moron on the ice. Gudas is worse.

Wilson's biggest impact on the ice was never his skill. It was making other players look over their shoulder and making the rink feel small. If you don't realize that you don't know hockey.
He no longer has that effect because everyone knows he's skating on thin ice now. Even he knows if he even sniffs anything like a cheap shot dirty play he'll be sitting a long time.
His impact has been marginalized. And it showed on the ice. Has nothing to do with his actual speed, ability, or skill. Has everything to do on the other aspects of the game. And that is lost.
Him dropping gloves means nothing with any of it. He got tossed down to the ice too by Gudbranson. He did nothing about it. A wilson in the past wouldn't have let that happen. But he has no choice now. You can talk all you want. But facts are facts. His suspensions before cost him little, but he know he would get paid long term because of it. Now it costs him millions, and he's not willing to give up the cash. It's that simple. $ talks. It's a lot easier to gain a rep when you make little, than it is to keep it when you make a lot.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit