SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Tell me an NHL opinion that most people will disagree with

Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Jamiepo
Think I would add Josi Rielly Trouba and Gio and Carlson to that list for sure some other players are maybes to be ahead of him. I would rate jones somewhere around dumba. To me he is probably around 10, no lower than 15.

Are you saying Dumba is around #10 for you? I'd put Doughty ahead of Josi, Rielly, Trouba, and Giordano ... Carlson is the other guy in my top 5, Doughty at #6 for me.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
matthews contract was rfa and is a perfect comparable. same age. less points than marner. i dont understand how its not a good comp? he got overpaid. sucks. as the gm that overpaid him thats now marners comparable. its not like dubas can give matthews 11.6 and then look at what pasta and marchand make and tell marner well these guys produce similar soooooo heres your deal. thats not how it works.

I kind of agree with you. That's the problem with using comparables. You can compare him to Matthews or you could compare him to Labanc. If Matthews is an 11.6M player Marner is probably a 10-10.5M player (Matthews is a better defensive player, is more of a goal scorer and has almost as many points-per-game). If you compare him to Labanc he's like a 3.5M-4M player.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
People are going to get really mad at me, but fighting should be gone from hockey.

I’m not mad but what a horrible thing to say. Should probably take the fighting out of ufc and boxing first.,.
Black Lives Matter
no it should not.

Alright then, if you want to see more players die from concussions.
DragonRaptorHybrid liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I’m not mad but what a horrible thing to say. Should probably take the fighting out of ufc and boxing first.,.

shakes head
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
matthews contract was rfa and is a perfect comparable. same age. less points than marner. i dont understand how its not a good comp? he got overpaid. sucks. as the gm that overpaid him thats now marners comparable. its not like dubas can give matthews 11.6 and then look at what pasta and marchand make and tell marner well these guys produce similar soooooo heres your deal. thats not how it works.

They don’t even play the same position... might as well compare him to bobrovky.

Matthews dominates marner in ppg and pp/60 and His go/60 isn’t even in the same neighbourhood.

Matthews is the best 5v5 goal scorer in the league... and it’s not even close. That’s why he makes the big money.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
Do you agree with me?

I personally don't mind the fighting, but in a utilitarian sense (what's the greater good) I think it's the right call.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:11 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Are you saying Dumba is around #10 for you? I'd put Doughty ahead of Josi, Rielly, Trouba, and Giordano ... Carlson is the other guy in my top 5, Doughty at #6 for me.

If you are counting entire career then yes I agree with doughty. He was just horrible last year.

My opinion is that jones fits in around klingberg Petro and dumba and after Parayko. It’s An unpopular opinion but it’s mine.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
Alright then, if you want to see more players die from concussions.

Ive made this argument before. If you sign up for the sport, you know full well what you are getting into at this day in age. Dont want concussions? dont play contact sports. why should physicallity get taken out of a sport that is used for entertainment purposes? If you cant hack it retire. The players arent being FORCED to play. They arent being FORCED to fight each other. You are signing up to play the sport knowing all of the repercussions of the sport now. including head trauma. Take care of yourself first imo, but again its not like these guys HAVE to play hockey.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
I kind of agree with you. That's the problem with using comparables. You can compare him to Matthews or you could compare him to Labanc. If Matthews is an 11.6M player Marner is probably a 10-10.5M player (Matthews is a better defensive player, is more of a goal scorer and has almost as many points-per-game). If you compare him to Labanc he's like a 3.5M-4M player.

right but you cant compare him to labanc because its a completely different situation/scenario. labanc has a career 116 points. Mitch has 224 points over the same 3 year period. labancs best year is still not as good as marners worst season. matthews has 205 points. Matthews just scores more goals than mitch does. matthews shot percentage is closer to 15 where marners is closer to 11...
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
They don’t even play the same position... might as well compare him to bobrovky.

Matthews dominates marner in ppg and pp/60 and His go/60 isn’t even in the same neighbourhood.

Matthews is the best 5v5 goal scorer in the league... and it’s not even close. That’s why he makes the big money.

because matthews has played 29 less games... if in those 29 games he didnt score in 19 of them. they have the exact same ppg. cool he can score more. someones gotta distribute the puck and set up the goal scorer. sorry but they are def closer than you think they are and marner should get paid as such. if matthews was paid at 8 and tavares was at 11. marner wouldnt be worth more than 8.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Ive made this argument before. If you sign up for the sport, you know full well what you are getting into at this day in age. Dont want concussions? dont play contact sports. why should physicallity get taken out of a sport that is used for entertainment purposes? If you cant hack it retire. The players arent being FORCED to play. They arent being FORCED to fight each other. You are signing up to play the sport knowing all of the repercussions of the sport now. including head trauma. Take care of yourself first imo, but again its not like these guys HAVE to play hockey.
is the point of hockey to fight? no. the point of hockey is to skate around, shoot pucks, and score goals. the Prime Directive of Hockey isn't "punch somebody in the face." organized sports like football, basketball, and baseball don't have a primary objective of "injure other people."

fighting is a product of the attitudes that the people who played hockey took towards the sport, and many other things. but it's not an inherent component of the sport. with that in mind, justifying fighting considering the pain and suffering that people like Montador, Boogaard, Carcillo, and Boynton went through is very incredibly difficult.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
is the point of hockey to fight? no. the point of hockey is to skate around, shoot pucks, and score goals. the Prime Directive of Hockey isn't "punch somebody in the face." organized sports like football, basketball, and baseball don't have a primary objective of "injure other people."

fighting is a product of the attitudes that the people who played hockey took towards the sport, and many other things. but it's not an inherent component of the sport. with that in mind, justifying fighting considering the pain and suffering that people like Montador, Boogaard, Carcillo, and Boynton went through is very incredibly difficult.

Exactly. but you dont need to straight up take it out because "people die from concussions" dont choose to fight if you dont want a concussion. fighting was the MAIN way to get back at a guy who threw a questionable hit. if you get rid of fighting you just end up with horrible possibly worse retaliatory hits.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If you are counting entire career then yes I agree with doughty. He was just horrible last year.

My opinion is that jones fits in around klingberg Petro and dumba and after Parayko. It’s An unpopular opinion but it’s mine.

But are you saying Dumba is a top 15 d-man in the league?
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:42 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Exactly. but you dont need to straight up take it out because "people die from concussions" dont choose to fight if you dont want a concussion. fighting was the MAIN way to get back at a guy who threw a questionable hit. if you get rid of fighting you just end up with horrible possibly worse retaliatory hits.
I mean, oooooor we could do both. actually crack down on intentional ways to hit other people in the head. don't fight and punch people in the face, don't headhunt, no checks to the head. instituting IIHF rules for illegals checks to the head is perfectly fine by me.

obviously, there's only so much we can do. this is true of every contact sport, as you mentioned. I just don't think the NHL is trying all that hard to prevent hits to the head.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

By that logic Tom Wilson's hits to the head should be allowed, too, right?
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:45 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
right but you cant compare him to labanc because its a completely different situation/scenario. labanc has a career 116 points. Mitch has 224 points over the same 3 year period. labancs best year is still not as good as marners worst season. matthews has 205 points. Matthews just scores more goals than mitch does. matthews shot percentage is closer to 15 where marners is closer to 11...

Matthews is a better defensive player, too. I know it's close but Matthews has a better points per game average than Marner over his career.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
because matthews has played 29 less games... if in those 29 games he didnt score in 19 of them. they have the exact same ppg. cool he can score more. someones gotta distribute the puck and set up the goal scorer. sorry but they are def closer than you think they are and marner should get paid as such. if matthews was paid at 8 and tavares was at 11. marner wouldnt be worth more than 8.

Yes, Marner is a very valuable player but without someone to score, then you're not going to score as many goals. I value goals a little higher than assists.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
@hanson493 What i'm trying to say is that Marner is a very valuable player, but it doesn't mean he's worth Matthews money. I could say depth players should be making 11M because you need depth.
GenXHockey liked this.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Finally someone who understands hockey.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I mean, oooooor we could do both. actually crack down on intentional ways to hit other people in the head. don't fight and punch people in the face, don't headhunt, no checks to the head. instituting IIHF rules for illegals checks to the head is perfectly fine by me.

obviously, there's only so much we can do. this is true of every contact sport, as you mentioned. I just don't think the NHL is trying all that hard to prevent hits to the head.

Exactly what i was going to say.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Why not just remove the "questionable hits"?
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
By that logic Tom Wilson's hits to the head should be allowed, too, right?

never said that.
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
Matthews is a better defensive player, too. I know it's close but Matthews has a better points per game average than Marner over his career.

strictly because matthews has played in less games. if he plays in games that marner also played in whos to say marner doesnt score more?
Aug. 28, 2019 at 3:59 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
strictly because matthews has played in less games. if he plays in games that marner also played in whos to say marner doesnt score more?

They don't play together anyway lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll