Forums/Armchair-GM

Just give him what he wants

Created by: BurgerBoss
Initial Creation Date: Sep 12, 2019
Published: Sep 12 at 3:22 am
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Explanation
He's still a great player... Just by remaining at the level when it comes to points he's currently at he'll be worth it.

2019-20 $8 million
2020-21 $10 million
2021-22 $12 million
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Marner, Mitchell3$10,000,000
Trades
TOR
    Waived?
    DAL
    1. Gauthier, Frédérik
    Buyouts
    • Mikhail Grabovski: $0
    Retained Salary Transactions
    • Phil Kessel: $1,200,000 (15%)
    DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
    TOR
    CBJ
    TOR
    VGK
    TOR
    CAR
    COL
    EDM
    SJS
    STL
    WPG
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,272,199$0$0$227,801
    Left WingCenterRight Wing
    TOR
    Hyman, Zach
    $2,250,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    TOR
    Tavares, John
    $11,000,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    TOR
    Marner, Mitchell
    $10,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    TOR
    Mikheyev, Ilya
    $925,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    TOR
    Matthews, Auston
    $11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    TOR
    Nylander, William
    $6,962,366
    RW, C
    UFA - 5
    TOR
    Johnsson, Andreas
    $3,400,000
    LW
    UFA - 4
    TOR
    Kerfoot, Alexander
    $3,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 4
    TOR
    Kapanen, Kasperi
    $3,200,000
    RW
    RFA - 3
    TOR
    Agostino, Kenny
    $737,500
    LW
    UFA - 2
    TOR
    Spezza, Jason
    $700,000
    C, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 1
    TOR
    Moore, Trevor
    $775,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    TOR
    Rielly, Morgan
    $5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    TOR
    Barrie, Tyson
    $2,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    TOR
    Andersen, Frederik
    $5,000,000
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    TOR
    Muzzin, Jake
    $4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    TOR
    Dermott, Travis
    $863,333
    LD
    RFA - 1
    TOR
    Hutchinson, Michael
    $700,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    TOR
    Marincin, Martin
    $700,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    TOR
    Ceci, Cody
    $4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    TOR
    Petan, Nicolas
    $775,000
    LW, RW, C
    RFA - 2
    TOR
    Horton, Nathan
    $5,300,000
    RW
    NMC NTC
    UFA - 1
    TOR
    Schmaltz, Jordan
    $700,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    TOR
    Clarkson, David
    $5,250,000
    RW
    NMC NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep 12 at 3:37
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    3x10? He wouldnt be worth it even if he gets 110 point seasons with 3rd liners. Thats just purely atrocious contract. I think there are questionmarks if he is even worth 10M on 8yr deal..
    Sep 12 at 4:22
    Burgers and Hockey
    Quoting: SammyT_51
    3x10? He wouldnt be worth it even if he gets 110 point seasons with 3rd liners. Thats just purely atrocious contract. I think there are questionmarks if he is even worth 10M on 8yr deal..

Somehow I doubt that he's not signing anything but a contract close to this.
    Sep 12 at 4:26
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    Quoting: BurgerBoss

Then he sits or is traded and I wouldnt even care. He either signs what Leafs are offering (10.5-11x7-8 or 8.5-9x3) or sit/would-be-traded.
    Sep 12 at 4:29
    Bandwagon fairweathe

He needs to can his advisors, and take his 80 plus million guaranteed and keep perfect image, and make mint in commercials, and if he gets banged up or the career doesn’t quite work out as planned, he’s got 80 million. I don’t understand these rfas, Pipe dream, perfect double dipping, take your guaranteed dough and worry about hockey, not how much u gain or lose next go round. Physical game still, so take your guarantees
    Sep 12 at 4:37
    Burgers and Hockey
    Then he sits or is traded and I wouldnt even care. He either signs what Leafs are offering (10.5-11x7-8 or 8.5-9x3) or sit/would-be-traded.

I don't see this being a solution for either of them to be fair. As greedy as Marner and co. seem to be, TOR needs him in order to be successful.
    Sep 12 at 4:38
    Burgers and Hockey
    Quoting: Birtle34
    He needs to can his advisors, and take his 80 plus million guaranteed and keep perfect image, and make mint in commercials, and if he gets banged up or the career doesn’t quite work out as planned, he’s got 80 million. I don’t understand these rfas, Pipe dream, perfect double dipping, take your guaranteed dough and worry about hockey, not how much u gain or lose next go round. Physical game still, so take your guarantees

Nothing is 100% in any sports.
    Sep 12 at 4:41
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    I don't see this being a solution for either of them to be fair. As greedy as Marner and co. seem to be, TOR needs him in order to be successful.

They can win without him, and they will win without him if he doesnt want to sign normal contract like a normal player in NHL.. The narrative that "without Marner they are bad" is wrong. I dont see Matthews deal for marner or 10x3 a solution for both sides. Thats just ridiculous contract..
    Sep 12 at 5:01
    Burgers and Hockey
    They can win without him, and they will win without him if he doesnt want to sign normal contract like a normal player in NHL.. The narrative that "without Marner they are bad" is wrong. I dont see Matthews deal for marner or 10x3 a solution for both sides. Thats just ridiculous contract..

The whole team would need to make a major upgrade if they want to perform better without their leading scorer of last year though.
    Sep 12 at 5:15
    Bandwagon fairweathe
    Nothing is 100% in any sports.

For every Hossa early in his career, there’s a hossa late in his career, you might as well get paid
    BurgerBoss liked this.
    Sep 12 at 5:15
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    The whole team would need to make a major upgrade if they want to perform better without their leading scorer of last year though.

They would perform very well and would be still close to 100 point team. Marner is less important than you might think. Yeah he was leading scorer and it was due to the fact that he played with Tavares whole season and both Matthews AND Tavares on PP whole year.. Bracco isnt gonna do same damage as Marner but he can manage 45-50 points on his wing as setup man. Somehow I think a group of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Hyman and Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie + young guys can manage to get into playoffs and win.. IF Marner doesnt sign a deal he sits or is traded. We can manage either option.
    Sep 12 at 5:25
    Burgers and Hockey
    They would perform very well and would be still close to 100 point team. Marner is less important than you might think. Yeah he was leading scorer and it was due to the fact that he played with Tavares whole season and both Matthews AND Tavares on PP whole year.. Bracco isnt gonna do same damage as Marner but he can manage 45-50 points on his wing as setup man. Somehow I think a group of Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Hyman and Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie + young guys can manage to get into playoffs and win.. IF Marner doesnt sign a deal he sits or is traded. We can manage either option.

I envy your optimism.

You're either very smart or very naive regarding the Leafs.
    Sep 12 at 5:33
    GM Hockeysaurus Rex
    I envy your optimism.

You're either very smart or very naive regarding the Leafs.

We will see after the season, but I believe they can win with or without Mitch. if trade happens. there is sure gonna be someone coming back that gets this team stronger, but.. I dont have problem with seeing this leafs team without Mitch and Mitch sitting for a year. We have enough good players and talent that I think they can do pretty well.
    Sep 12 at 5:40
    Bandwagon fairweathe
    We will see after the season, but I believe they can win with or without Mitch. if trade happens. there is sure gonna be someone coming back that gets this team stronger, but.. I dont have problem with seeing this leafs team without Mitch and Mitch sitting for a year. We have enough good players and talent that I think they can do pretty well.

Pp will be fine, pk will suffer, I think they will miss him, emotionally and pure excitement of playing the game, a lot of there other leaders are pretty stoic and don’t show much emotion. Interesting will be him and kadri missing and some new ingredients, I think Barrie plays a little fiery and solve marner missing on pp, but not sure on other players added to replace kadri, but we will see that’s why they play the games.
    DoubleADoubleK liked this.
    Sep 12 at 5:49

Sure, let Toronto spend millions on other contracts and then not win a cup because they couldn't figure it out.
    There is no part of not signing marner that makes them a better team. Especially when you will get taken to the cleaner on a trade.

His adviser is his father so that's never going to happen. B, he will make the commercial money anyway and hockey players really don't make that much in endorsements. C. It's not hard to understand these RFA. The whole league, Owners and Players, are licking their chops at the new tv contract money coming in. No one wants to leave money on the table. How can you blame them. The league isn't talking to the players about those numbers and future revenue growth. It could be a massive bump in money. Their are talks that there are up to 3 networks willing to do deals for games in the american market. With NBC and ESPN almost assuredly playing a ton of money for rights. On the low end the TV revenue is set to double. Some are saying it could be 3-4x as much as it currently is. It could have a massive hike on the salary cap. If it's 3x and players get half of it, you are looking at the cap going up about 10 million or a little more than 12%. That doesn't include the bump they will get for the expansion team coming from seattle.
    That's huge for the players, and they all want in on it. Signing a long term deal kind of screws them on that as they get out past their prime.
    Birtle34 and blowing_the_zone liked this.
    Sep 12 at 6:11
    Bandwagon fairweathe
    Quoting: pharrow
    Sure, let Toronto spend millions on other contracts and then not win a cup because they couldn't figure it out.
    There is no part of not signing marner that makes them a better team. Especially when you will get taken to the cleaner on a trade.

His adviser is his father so that's never going to happen. B, he will make the commercial money anyway and hockey players really don't make that much in endorsements. C. It's not hard to understand these RFA. The whole league, Owners and Players, are licking their chops at the new tv contract money coming in. No one wants to leave money on the table. How can you blame them. The league isn't talking to the players about those numbers and future revenue growth. It could be a massive bump in money. Their are talks that there are up to 3 networks willing to do deals for games in the american market. With NBC and ESPN almost assuredly playing a ton of money for rights. On the low end the TV revenue is set to double. Some are saying it could be 3-4x as much as it currently is. It could have a massive hike on the salary cap. If it's 3x and players get half of it, you are looking at the cap going up about 10 million or a little more than 12%. That doesn't include the bump they will get for the expansion team coming from seattle.
    That's huge for the players, and they all want in on it. Signing a long term deal kind of screws them on that as they get out past their prime.

So what’s your thought on a possible marner ufa deal in 5 years, after a few most sports man likes, a possible conn smyth and a cup and 500 points ish
    Sep 12 at 6:47
    Jeuck75
    Marner should not be making anywhere over 11.5 million. Only Connor McDavid should be that high paid
    Sep 12 at 6:54
    Danish
    Leafs will be ok without Marner. Not great but ok. If I am Dubas though it is like O'Neil said today 11x7 or 8x3, or enjoy Zurich. Secretly I hope they flip him for Panarin and dump Ceci. To prove a point.
    Sep 12 at 7:49
    Subbanator
    Wouldn't it be nice to be paid like you have won Stanley cups when you haven't even won a play off series, ahhhhhh the life of young leaf superstars
    BurgerBoss liked this.
    Sep 12 at 8:42
    Come on Paul, enough with the burners
    Sep 12 at 10:20
    So what’s your thought on a possible marner ufa deal in 5 years, after a few most sports man likes, a possible conn smyth and a cup and 500 points ish

look he has to do all that first.
    Let him bet on himself. It's clear why he's not going to sign long term. Not a lot of players do. None that are going to be past their prime in 3 years.
    If you are lucky, he doesn't and he slips back and you can be like, hey you weren't worth all that and be done with it.
    If he does, you know he's going to walk anyway because his father will go chasing the money. He'll have to figure out what he wants at that point. Money or a team that can win.
    But the odds are pretty much even on that. If he puts up 90-100 point seasons for the next 5 years you shouldn't complain anyway. Most likely he won't though. That's my opinion.
    You might be trying to sign him after career highs. In some respect you might be best off letting him bet on himself.
    blowing_the_zone liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Remove Option
    Submit Poll