SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Quick Question

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 8, 2019
Published: Nov. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I wonder what the global opinion of Nylander would be if he didn't play for the Leafs? Would he still be hated by the majority of fans? Or would he be respected as much as he deserves to be? Its puzzling to me how many people seem to just hate the kid. Talk to 10 fans from 10 different teams and 8 of them will say he's probably the most overrated player in the league and the other 2 will say he's pretty good.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,347,143$0$70,000$152,857
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$694,444$694,444 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 8, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: LoganOllivier
So you are ignoring a tonne of stuff to make your point. Which is why I don't put a lot of stock in what you are talking about. There is a lot of evidence that has been presented to you to say what lowers Nylander's point totals is not a skill drop off between him and Marner, but opportunity. Marner gets all the opportunity, I think he's currently the team leader in ice time for forwards. Nylander is playing much less than Marner and doesn't get the prime 1st pp unit time that he gets. I know you want Saad to be a real good comparison for Nylander because then you can get him for an even trade but the reality is, no one outside of the Chicago fan base will call them equal. Saad is closer to Hyman than he is Nylander and Nylander is a lot closer to Marner than he is to Saad.

I DON'T WANT WILLIAM NYLANDER ON THE HAWKS.

What am I ignoring??? Saad actually plays Defense? Plays on the PK? He costs $1M less? He scores more goals per year?
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
Banned
Edited Nov. 8, 2019 at 6:02 p.m. by Jarvis
Quoting: CD282
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, and what you're so upset about. You asked for the "global opinion of Nylander" if he wasn't a Leaf, I responded in kind. I don't dislike Nylander but I think he's overrated. Leafs fans (at least the ones I interact with) tend to think he's a superstar, whereas I do not.

As for my comment about Toronto fans overrating all of their players, you need only to look at all the Leafs AGM's on this site to realize that's true.

Not trolling, just responding to your question. I'm sorry if that has offended you.

100% percent you only comment on the ones that are ridiculous, of which there are many, but you'll not look at the ones that are fair. Although you've pretty much identified yourself as a Leaf Hater since all Leaf fans overrate all of their players all of the time.

Now my opinion? Nylander is a terrific hockey player that still has a lot of growing to do, he's only 23 and he's chirped more than any other Leaf player. You are the same as most of the dummies on there who are extreme in everything they say and think.

1 Leaf fan will say Nylander is worth Seth Jones (he isn't, that is silly) and you'll say "see all Leaf fans overrate their players". I'll say Nylander isn't a super elite player but what he is, is a terrific player that many seem to have no idea what style of game he plays or what his strengths are. And you'll ignore all the actual words and information and just say Leaf fans overrate all their players. You are a troll and nothing more.

On a side note, I am not upset, I couldn't care less what anyone on here thinks of me, I just enjoy debating hockey. Unfortunately, clowns like to come on here and try to piss people off to fill some void in their own lives.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
I DON'T WANT WILLIAM NYLANDER ON THE HAWKS.

What am I ignoring??? Saad actually plays Defense? Plays on the PK? He costs $1M less? He scores more goals per year?

Scores less points, doesn't drive play, is a minus player and makes 1 million less than a player who is also 4 years younger.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.
Banned
I can't even. I want to think you're just messing with me, but I don't even know anymore. Somehow...in your mind a 7 point delta makes Saad a Camp Dump and Nyalnder closer to Marner. Despite Saad actually having better career possession numbers, Actually plays defense... received actual votes for the Selke, and plays some PK time too.

Its more the situation.

1) Saad isn't worth 6 million a year. Personally I wouldn't ever give a player that kind of money unless he drives play on his own, something Nylander absolutely does whether anyone wants to admit it or not, across the board in advanced metrics, Nylander tilts the ice in his favour.
2) Chicago absolutely needs to start a rebuild, and 27 year old guys making 6 million and not really producing enough to earn the money shouldn't be kept around.

So in this case, Chicago should actively be looking to move out Saad for future assets. Since he makes 6 million, I think his return is going to be limited. As I have mentioned, he's far more comparable to Hyman than Nylander and Hyman making even double his contract makes it a tough pill to swallow. Now I agree that Hyman is not as valuable as Saad but for all the reasons who talk Saad up so much you can say the same thing about Hyman (plays defence, kills penalties, hits etc) so if anything its fair to say Saad is overpaid and on top of that, he should be a target to move so you can spur on the rebuild.

Now if Chicago is having a fire sale, they are doing going to get what they can and not many contenders can really afford a 6 million dollar middle 6 winger. So he's almost a cap dump because for anyone to take him on, they have to send bad contracts the other way. Which hurts the return even more.

For example lets just say Vancouver wanted Saad. They are right up there against the cap so they would have to send money back the other way. The best return they could hope for would be a 1st round pick, Ericksson and maybe something else. But you would have to take on some bad money because there is hardly anyone that can afford Saad's cap hit.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:18 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I don't think that is the point he was trying to make. More so, that Nylander has far less give aways this season and only was has directly resulted in a goal against, while Marner has had several more and many of those have lead directly to goals against.

Love guys that point to stats that support their narrative but when presented with more information... that goes ignored.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Trickster
Love guys that point to stats that support their narrative but when presented with more information... that goes ignored.

Its most of the guys on here, they don't like being proven wrong and when they are they either ignore everything that pokes holes in their narrative or they just keep piling on blatantly wrong information. I know I am very opinionated but I feel that I have proven that I can admit when I am wrong. Most people on here can't or simply won't.
Trickster liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Except, he hasn't been terrible defensively. He's bee either okay or better than in the past. So why does one player get roasted for a team issue that he really hasn't been part of the problem for?

Nylander is terrible defensively, but that's not to say other star Leafs haven't been terrible as well. The issue with Nylander, at least my issue with him, is that sometimes he seem very unmotivated, particularly when it comes to skating back in the play and picking up his man in the defensive zone. So perhaps it's a combination of his actual play and perceived effort that gets under Leafs' fan skins.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MG1986
Nylander is terrible defensively, but that's not to say other star Leafs haven't been terrible as well. The issue with Nylander, at least my issue with him, is that sometimes he seem very unmotivated, particularly when it comes to skating back in the play and picking up his man in the defensive zone. So perhaps it's a combination of his actual play and perceived effort that gets under Leafs' fan skins.

I think the perceived effort is bang on, he is such a smooth operator that he doesn't always look like he's trying but I don't think he's lazy at all. Also I haven't seen him mail it in on a back check this year. He gets back and stands in the right spot, but I think he could stand to up his intensity a little. He certainly doesn't suck defensively, I haven't seen many situations where he was the reason the Leafs were in a bad spot in his own zone. Matthews has been worse defensively than Nylander by a wide margin this season.

Both aren't as bad as people like to think they are in their zone, but that is a different issue all together.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
exo2769
Scores less points, doesn't drive play, is a minus player and makes 1 million less than a player who is also 4 years younger.

Saad is $1M less...Not Nylander. +/- is a difficult state to compare. Erik Karlsson is a career minutes. He sucks right? Saad 100% drives plays. The (2) best lines that Colliton's put together (sans yesterday...he finally went back to Debrincat/Strome/Kane...which I'll admit over the long run will be better, but hasn't so far this year because it hasn't been used much.) is #1 Saad/Kampf/Kubalik...yeah that's correct. Then it's Saad with Toews. Saad's been making everyone better.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=CHI&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8476438&p2=8473604&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0
CD282 liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
Banned
Saad is $1M less...Not Nylander. +/- is a difficult state to compare. Erik Karlsson is a career minutes. He sucks right? Saad 100% drives plays. The (2) best lines that Colliton's put together (sans yesterday...he finally went back to Debrincat/Strome/Kane...which I'll admit over the long run will be better, but hasn't so far this year because it hasn't been used much.) is #1 Saad/Kampf/Kubalik...yeah that's correct. Then it's Saad with Toews. Saad's been making everyone better.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=CHI&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8476438&p2=8473604&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

Sure whatever, but Nylander is a better player with way more upside. And as I mentioned, the reason why Saad's value is much lower is because he's older, doesn't score enough points and costs a lot for a depth winger. I am sure he'd do great in TO but it would cost too much to get him.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:21 p.m.
exo2769
Sure whatever, but Nylander is a better player with way more upside. And as I mentioned, the reason why Saad's value is much lower is because he's older, doesn't score enough points and costs a lot for a depth winger. I am sure he'd do great in TO but it would cost too much to get him.

7 points is the delta for a career average. That's 1 point difference every 12 games and Saad's been playing with mostly Kampf and Kubalik. So...yeah when you can have $6M that can play with $1.9M next to him and...TRUE story...against the McDavid/Draisaitl line...AND WIN...Drai got 1 PP assist, but nothing 5V5. That's freakin huge! Nylander can't do that if his life depended on it.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
Banned
7 points is the delta for a career average. That's 1 point difference every 12 games and Saad's been playing with mostly Kampf and Kubalik. So...yeah when you can have $6M that can play with $1.9M next to him and...TRUE story...against the McDavid/Draisaitl line...AND WIN...Drai got 1 PP assist, but nothing 5V5. That's freakin huge! Nylander can't do that if his life depended on it.

Kadri has feasted on McDavid, does that make him worth Kane?
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
exo2769
Kadri has feasted on McDavid, does that make him worth Kane?

7 points...isn't Kadri vs Kane

If Kadri scored ~90 points year in and year out....YES IT WOULD
CD282 and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 5:31 p.m.
Banned
7 points...isn't Kadri vs Kane

But it is equally irrelevant to the conversation. Keep Saad, I don't want him for 6 million. I'd rather keep Hyman who is a similar but less effective player for less than half the price.
Nov. 8, 2019 at 10:27 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
It was being pointed out that defensively that Marner is better than Nylander.

I think I asked valid questions that contradict that.

Not in my comment, all my comment had was the simple correction to the statement that Marner didn't get Selke consideration when the fact was he did. I made no statement about either player being better defensively. Your question may have been valid, but I still don't see why you felt the need to tag me based on the only comment I had made in this thread at that point. It was just an odd situation so I wanted to know your thought process.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll