Forums/Armchair-GM

Framework of a Domi trade for every team

Created by: Kotkaniemi15
Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 10, 2020
Published: Sep. 10, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are pieces that I would be willing to move Domi in a deal for. Most of them are probably not available from the teams they’re on, but I just took out the obvious untouchables. And Montreal would obviously need to add more to acquire most of these pieces.

Any teams that aren’t included are teams that clearly wouldn’t be interested in Domi.
Trades
MTL
  1. Reinhart, Sam [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
2020 BUF 1st
BUF
    As it’s going to be with most of the 1sts here, it depends on how willing the GM is to move their first, and what they think of the players that are available where they’re picking. If I were in charge of the Sabres I wouldn’t trade my 1st, but I can’t speak for their actual management.

As for Reinhart, this could work out well if the Sabres are interested, since they’re both RFAs and the same age, with similar production. Reinhart fits Montreal’s needs more as a winger, while Domi is a C that it seems Sabres fans want.
    CGY
      If he’s available I’d happily move Domi in a package for him.
      CBJ
        I doubt the Blue Jackets would be interested, but if they wanted to add a centre to play behind Dubois, Bjorkstrand is the only player I’d be interested in (that might be available).
        MTL
        1. Addison, Calen
        2. Dumba, Matt
        Additional Details:
        2020 MIN 1st
        MIN
          Things I said about Buffalo’s 1st apply to this first as well.

Dumba is a pipe dream. I love him, but it’s unreasonable to believe that Domi + anything that isn’t significant would be able to get him.

Addison would be a RHD prospect we’d be interested in, although I doubt he’s available, and I don’t know what else the package would consist of.
          MTL
            -
            NYR
              Looks like they’d be interested, but nothing that’s available really works for a Domi trade.
              MTL
                -
                PIT
                  Same as the Rangers.
                  MTL
                  1. Ehlers, Nikolaj
                  2. Vesalainen, Kristian
                  Additional Details:
                  2020 WPG 1st
                  WPG
                    Things I said about Buffalo’s 1st apply to this first as well.

I know Jets fans want us to pay a ridiculous amount to get Ehlers. Positionally, Domi for Ehlers makes sense for both teams, but I don’t know how much the habs would need to add, or how willing the Jets are to move him.

Vesalainen is an interesting piece that could be part of a package to get Domi.
                    Buried
                    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the CHI
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the STL
                    Logo of the VGK
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the OTT
                    Logo of the PHI
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the STL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    Logo of the MTL
                    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
                    13$81,500,000$76,929,643$0$982,500$4,570,357
                    Left WingCentreRight Wing
                    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
                    $4,800,000$4,800,000
                    LW, RW
                    UFA - 1
                    $3,083,333$3,083,333
                    C
                    UFA - 1
                    $3,750,000$3,750,000
                    RW, LW
                    NMC
                    UFA - 1
                    Logo of the Calgary Flames
                    $6,750,000$6,750,000
                    LW
                    UFA - 2
                    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
                    $2,500,000$2,500,000
                    RW, LW
                    UFA - 1
                    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
                    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
                    LW, RW
                    RFA - 2
                    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
                    $6,000,000$6,000,000
                    RW, LW
                    UFA - 5
                    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
                    $1,750,000$1,750,000
                    LD/RD
                    M-NTC
                    UFA - 2
                    $7,857,143$7,857,143
                    RD
                    UFA - 6
                    $10,500,000$10,500,000
                    G
                    NMC
                    UFA - 6
                    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
                    $6,000,000$6,000,000
                    RD
                    UFA - 3
                    $4,350,000$4,350,000
                    G
                    UFA - 1
                    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
                    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
                    RD
                    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
                    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
                    Former Hockey Fan
                    Quoting: Sagecoll
                    tbh, I'm not sure a lot of teams want to touch Domi at all....

He's made it pretty clear he exclusively wants to play C, and I'm not sure of a ton of teams who are going to trust him to be their top 6 C defensively and pay him around the 6 mil he probably wants. His value is similar to Dylan Strome at this point,

I mean there's only a handful of teams that have an open spot at 2C, have the cap space, and would be fine with his D: Buffalo, Rangers, Winnipeg, I'm struggling to think of others past that, Columbus Minnesota and Dallas don't really work with his risky style of play and I don't think Florida wants to pay him. So yeah there's maybe 3 teams that would be legitimately interested. That's going to drive the price down not up. Most likely looking at a late 1st or equivalent.

As long as you aren’t a team that uses it’s lines weirdly, Domi can play on the quote unquote 3rd line. (Since there shouldn’t be much difference between your 1st & 3rd line on a good team) The problem for the habs is that they don’t even have room for him there.

And cap space shouldn’t be a problem, since ideally we’re trading him for a similarly skilled winger.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
                    For CBJ: Bjorkstrand isn't going anywhere. We need to add top-6 scoring forwards, and he's easily our best wing at this point.
                    Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 12:45 p.m.
                    Former Hockey Fan
                    He's made it clear that he really only wants to play top 6 C though. He sulked super hard when he got moved to wing and down the lineup. I don't think anyone would say he's "loyal". He's not signing long term as long as KK/Suzuki are here. Which means.... he's not signing long term.

Who are you talking about? Because that’s nothing like Domi. Domi only played a handful of games on the wing this year, and the only reason he’d want to play C more is because he knows that he’s a better player at C. Nothing he’s done could be described as “sulking”. He’s not signing long term right now because his production dipped last year compared to the year before.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.
                    Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
                    As long as you aren’t a team that uses it’s lines weirdly, Domi can play on the quote unquote 3rd line. (Since there shouldn’t be much difference between your 1st & 3rd line on a good team) The problem for the habs is that they don’t even have room for him there.

And cap space shouldn’t be a problem, since ideally we’re trading him for a similarly skilled winger.

There are very few teams in the league that don't have a considerable difference in talent (and ice time) between their 1st and 3rd lines. Montreal has been one of them, largely because they've lacked that serious high end talent, and they've made it work very well. But even with the Habs, with the way Suzuki is developing if you guys find a true #1 winger for him you're going to start to see a much more noticeable difference between your top lines. Because at that point it makes sense to do that.

It's all about roster contruction. Speaking from the Sabres perspective, there will never be a point where their 3rd line will have similar ice time to the first line. And that's just cause Eichel is so talented we're better off when he's on the ice as much as he can. So from my standpoint, it doesn't make sense to trade Reinhart if we're only projecting Domi as a secondary scoring line center.

Hopefully that makes sense. I think Domi and Reinhart have similar value, but I don't know if Domi has the defensive chops or consistency to fill the #2 center role in the way that I would like. So that's why I don't think I'd pull the trigger on a one for one trade.
                    gm_jeanguy and lazlopanaflex liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.

Not sure you're grasping it here... let's break it down.

-Domi is slated to make at a minimum 5 mil+ (realistically 6 mil), no one is paying at least 5 mil long term for a bottom 6 player. Certainly not with the flat cap etc. So Domi is playing in the top 6, which means he's getting top 6 defensive matchups etc. You can arrange your lines however you want, but Domi is playing at least 16-18 mins a night if he's getting signed for anywhere near what he wants.
                    -Domi has made it clear that he's only really willing to play C. Unless you have a clear opening at C, he's probably not going to sign with you.
                    -Of the teams with a clear opening at C for Domi, only handful of them actually have the cap space to afford his contract long term, even if they trade away cap.
                    -Of the teams who have the cap space, only a few of them would actually be willing to play him as a top 6 C given his defensive liabilities and pay him.

That's about 3 teams: Buffalo, Winnipeg, Rangers

Of those 3 teams, your similarly skilled winger options (as in high offense, defensive liabilities based on the data) are Ryan Strome, Jack Roslovic, and Victor Olofsson. With the obvious closest one being Strome

Screen-Shot-2020-09-10-at-1-03-21-PM

Screen-Shot-2020-09-10-at-1-04-14-PM

Unless you'd rather Olofsson or Roslovic with perhaps some minor additions. But yeah guys like Ehlers/Reinhart/Buchnevich/etc are in an entirely different category due to their high end 2 way play.
                    gm_jeanguy and Shootica liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:12 p.m.
                    Habs fan somehow
                    I’m not touching DeAngelo.

100%
                    Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:33 p.m.
                    Former Hockey Fan
                    Quoting: Shootica
                    There are very few teams in the league that don't have a considerable difference in talent (and ice time) between their 1st and 3rd lines. Montreal has been one of them, largely because they've lacked that serious high end talent, and they've made it work very well. But even with the Habs, with the way Suzuki is developing if you guys find a true #1 winger for him you're going to start to see a much more noticeable difference between your top lines. Because at that point it makes sense to do that.

It's all about roster contruction. Speaking from the Sabres perspective, there will never be a point where their 3rd line will have similar ice time to the first line. And that's just cause Eichel is so talented we're better off when he's on the ice as much as he can. So from my standpoint, it doesn't make sense to trade Reinhart if we're only projecting Domi as a secondary scoring line center.

Hopefully that makes sense. I think Domi and Reinhart have similar value, but I don't know if Domi has the defensive chops or consistency to fill the #2 center role in the way that I would like. So that's why I don't think I'd pull the trigger on a one for one trade.

This year has proven that you need at least 3 good lines to win. Vegas’s top 3 lines play roughly the same amount of time, Tampa’s 2nd & 3rd lines play about the same, and Dallas has been spreading their skill through all 4 lines recently.

It’s much different for the Sabres, because they aren’t a contender, and they have multiple holes on their roster. I’m just saying that contenders can still use Domi on the 3rd line, just like Jamie Benn is currently playing on the 4th line.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:34 p.m.
                    Habs fan somehow
                    @Kotkaniemi15: These are just fans opinions but there's a trend there: Domi's value is probably at an all time low. Might as well hold on to him for now. What if MTL moved one of Zuke or KK instead? Their value is much higher. With KK/Zuke, Domi and Danault, MTL center line would still be very solid.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
                    Columbus doesn’t even consider this. Bjorkstrand was our best forward last season.... Anderson for Domi would be something we’d consider, but Bjorkstrand is 100% off the table.
                    benjgc liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:43 p.m.
                    Maybe I'm crazy but I don't see Domi's value at an all time low. Maybe for Montreal, as they have a better player taking his minutes in Danault.

But Domi established as an real option at centre ice this year, and that's valuable in itself. He had a down year production wise, but he had *1st* line O production last season. I'd like to see what he could do behind an Eichel taking all the tough match-ups.

The factors that will limit the return are well stated, but I think his value is being low balled at this point. As a Sabres fan, Olofsson isn't close to a conversation starter for Montreal.
                    Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
                    This year has proven that you need at least 3 good lines to win. Vegas’s top 3 lines play roughly the same amount of time, Tampa’s 2nd & 3rd lines play about the same, and Dallas has been spreading their skill through all 4 lines recently.

It’s much different for the Sabres, because they aren’t a contender, and they have multiple holes on their roster. I’m just saying that contenders can still use Domi on the 3rd line, just like Jamie Benn is currently playing on the 4th line.

Yeah the data doesn't really support this at all.

Even for Dallas and Vegas who tend to role their lines more evenly than most, the difference in TOI between their 2nd/3rd most played F (1st line) and their 8th/9th most played F (3rd line) is 3 mins/game. With most teams in the league (even playoff contenders) such as Tampa, Colorado, Boston, etc. That number is around 6 mins/game difference.

Pretty much every team comes out to
                    1st line: 17-20 mins/game
                    2nd line: 16-18 mins/game
                    3rd line: 12-15 mins/game
                    4th line: 9-12 mins/game

with minor discrepancies based on special teams and top heaviness (see: Chicago/Boston/Edmonton/Winnipeg/etc)
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
                    Former Hockey Fan
                    Not sure you're grasping it here... let's break it down.

-Domi is slated to make at a minimum 5 mil+ (realistically 6 mil), no one is paying at least 5 mil long term for a bottom 6 player. Certainly not with the flat cap etc. So Domi is playing in the top 6, which means he's getting top 6 defensive matchups etc. You can arrange your lines however you want, but Domi is playing at least 16-18 mins a night if he's getting signed for anywhere near what he wants.
                    -Domi has made it clear that he's only really willing to play C. Unless you have a clear opening at C, he's probably not going to sign with you.
                    -Of the teams with a clear opening at C for Domi, only handful of them actually have the cap space to afford his contract long term, even if they trade away cap.
                    -Of the teams who have the cap space, only a few of them would actually be willing to play him as a top 6 C given his defensive liabilities and pay him.

That's about 3 teams: Buffalo, Winnipeg, Rangers

Of those 3 teams, your similarly skilled winger options (as in high offense, defensive liabilities based on the data) are Ryan Strome, Jack Roslovic, and Victor Olofsson. With the obvious closest one being Strome

Screen-Shot-2020-09-10-at-1-03-21-PM

Screen-Shot-2020-09-10-at-1-04-14-PM

Unless you'd rather Olofsson or Roslovic with perhaps some minor additions. But yeah guys like Ehlers/Reinhart/Buchnevich/etc are in an entirely different category due to their high end 2 way play.

I think you’re overestimating how much Domi is going to make. He won’t make more than $5 million on a one year contract. He’ll only make more than that if he can get back to his 70 point season from 2 years ago.

And on well-balanced teams, Domi can play 16 minutes a game while being on the “3rd line”. In the playoffs, the difference between Vegas’s 1st & 9th forward in even strength ice time per game is 1 minute and 22 seconds. Stastny is 9th with 12:41 of ice time on Vegas, and Domi, like Stastny can get to 16 minutes with power play time.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
                    I think you’re overestimating how much Domi is going to make. He won’t make more than $5 million on a one year contract. He’ll only make more than that if he can get back to his 70 point season from 2 years ago.

And on well-balanced teams, Domi can play 16 minutes a game while being on the “3rd line”. In the playoffs, the difference between Vegas’s 1st & 9th forward in even strength ice time per game is 1 minute and 22 seconds. Stastny is 9th with 12:41 of ice time on Vegas, and Domi, like Stastny can get to 16 minutes with power play time.

Domi could be the "3rd" C on a team like Buffalo that runs Larsson through the wall with tough defensive minutes.

3rd C in ice time, 2nd C in offensive usage.
                    Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
                    Former Hockey Fan
                    Yeah the data doesn't really support this at all.

Even for Dallas and Vegas who tend to role their lines more evenly than most, the difference in TOI between their 2nd/3rd most played F (1st line) and their 8th/9th most played F (3rd line) is 3 mins/game. With most teams in the league (even playoff contenders) such as Tampa, Colorado, Boston, etc. That number is around 6 mins/game difference.

Pretty much every team comes out to
                    1st line: 17-20 mins/game
                    2nd line: 16-18 mins/game
                    3rd line: 12-15 mins/game
                    4th line: 9-12 mins/game

with minor discrepancies based on special teams and top heaviness (see: Chicago/Boston/Edmonton/Winnipeg/etc)

The main thing is looking at even strength ice time though. PP/PK players will skew how much time on ice the lines have.

And while you can’t really take the numbers at face value because of overtimes (only for TBL & DAL) and special teams, the ratios to other teammates paint an accurate picture.

In the playoffs:

TBL
                    1st Line : 18 mins
                    2nd Line: 13:40-16 mins (this is skewed by Killorn’s ejection, but only a bit)
                    3rd Line: 15-16 minutes

In general all of their middle 6 plays about the same (other than Johnson).

DAL
                    Their lines have been all over the place in the playoffs, but they go from about 13:50 as the most to 11:40 at 11th.

VGK
                    1st Line: 13-14 mins
                    2nd Line: 13-14 mins
                    3rd Line: ~13 mins
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.
                    Damn I can’t wait for weed to be legal in the state. Some of you guys look like you are having so much fun making these trades when totally loaded on the loud.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 2:07 p.m.
                    Former Hockey Fan
                    Quoting: NorthStarHockey
                    Damn I can’t wait for weed to be legal in the state. Some of you guys look like you are having so much fun making these trades when totally loaded on the loud.

If you’re talking about who I would want to make a deal around, please read the descriptions. I did say that most of these are unrealistic. And it’s obviously only one of the many pieces mentioned here.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
                    Quoting: NorthStarHockey

You are missing out.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
                    The main thing is looking at even strength ice time though. PP/PK players will skew how much time on ice the lines have.

And while you can’t really take the numbers at face value because of overtimes (only for TBL & DAL) and special teams, the ratios to other teammates paint an accurate picture.

In the playoffs:

TBL
                    1st Line : 18 mins
                    2nd Line: 13:40-16 mins (this is skewed by Killorn’s ejection, but only a bit)
                    3rd Line: 15-16 minutes

In general all of their middle 6 plays about the same (other than Johnson).

DAL
                    Their lines have been all over the place in the playoffs, but they go from about 13:50 as the most to 11:40 at 11th.

VGK
                    1st Line: 13-14 mins
                    2nd Line: 13-14 mins
                    3rd Line: ~13 mins

Ah I was wondering where your misunderstanding came from. Now I know it’s from you entirely discounting special teams, which is certainly appropriate when comparing performanceBut ridiculously skewed when comparing deployment Since, as we know coaches will almost exclusively play non-special teams players the first shift or 2 following a PP/PK. Thus those who don’t play on special teams are going to appear on paper to play more in the game than they actually do.

Obviously not a hard concept to prove, look at the shift charts for yourself. But in general when we’re talking about “can this player handle the big time minutes we’re paying him for?” Disregarding the 10-20+ mins that encompasses special teams is probably not the best method of looking into that.
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 3:12 p.m.

Why would any team pay significant assets for Domi if they weren’t planning on signing him long term?
                    Sep. 10, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.
                    Sabres are elite
                    Really? I’m mostly just going off the stats, since I obviously don’t watch the Sabres other than when they play the habs. Do you think that he would put up more or less points on the habs than he would on Buffalo (since he’d be on a better team, but he wouldn’t have Eichel).

Probably about the same. It's a myth that Reinhart is only putting up points cause of Eichel, he makes plays all by himself. Main reason I say that Domi isn't as good as Reinhart is just because of the consistency. Reinhart is consistent 20G 50 point player. Domi has good years and bad years and I'd rather not be a part of that

To create a post please Login or Register
                    Question:
                    Options:
                    Add Option
                    Submit Poll