Avs Dcore

Created by: Remus
Team: 2022-23 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 6, 2020
Published: Oct. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Why did Sakic take a D? The last thing they need

On the other hand, Justin’s brother Travis is on the team and their dcore will be the best in the league in a few years
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,500,000
3$2,500,000
2$1,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Barron, Justin
3$925,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
11$81,500,000$47,294,167$25,000$2,500,000$34,205,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
RFA - 1
Barron, Justin
$925,000$925,000
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 6, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.
Rangers 2023
travis is unrelated, his brother is NYR prospect morgan
Remus liked this.
Oct. 6, 2020 at 10:20 p.m.
Don’t forget Helleson too. 3 yrs the d Corp could very well be
Byram Makar
Girard Barron
Timmins Helleson
Richard88 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2020 at 10:21 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
travis is unrelated, his brother is NYR prospect morgan

Thanks for the tip. I figured since it isn’t a common last name
Oct. 6, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
Don’t forget Helleson too. 3 yrs the d Corp could very well be
Byram Makar
Girard Barron
Timmins Helleson

Sakic doesn't have to worry about his Dcore for the next 10 years this is crazy! and with Annunen in net in a couple of years they will only have to make the offence fit under the cap!
Oct. 6, 2020 at 11:09 p.m.
Bc he was one of the best players available at the pick and avs still need to restock the d pipeline, outside of helleson it was graduated and very thin once byram and Timmins graduate this year to the nhl rosters

Plus it gives them now insurance to trade a dman like Timmins if they want to in a deal for a top 6 forward

It’s smart business
Xqb15a and NMAvsFan liked this.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 9:32 a.m.
@coga16 @Xqb15a @moli92 @ArakinSkywalker @Richard88 what do we think about this pick? Seems like another dman that could end up injury prone, burkey said they had to remove a rib during a surgical procedure, and being a physical dman that could end up agrivating a core issue... although he has amazing skating
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:01 a.m.
Dr.
Quoting: JeffW
@coga16 @Xqb15a @moli92 @ArakinSkywalker @Richard88 what do we think about this pick? Seems like another dman that could end up injury prone, burkey said they had to remove a rib during a surgical procedure, and being a physical dman that could end up agrivating a core issue... although he has amazing skating

I feel like it was definitely influenced by Timmins head injuries, there was still a couple solid forwards available. Not like its a bad pick for 25th, some people had him going in the teens. I was really hoping Zary would drop to us but calgary scooped him up right before us. Depending on how timmins turns out, barron could either take his spot or be a trade piece for us so really a wash for this draft. Pretty safe pick i think for 25th. I'm sure sakic did his homework about the injury and surgery he had already and if it would affect his play he wouldn't have drafted him.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.

I can’t find anywhere that reports he had a rib removed, but he did have a procedure for blood clots. Also supposedly (per AJ at DNVR) the Avs doctors personally cleared him so I don’t think that’s an issue. Personally if he lives up to the billing he is perfect for the Avs future top 4, size, skating and a defensive first mentality that balances perfectly with the explosive offense of Makar. I like the pick a lot. Adds a lot of flexibility for the Avs if they decide to use a d prospect in a trade.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker
I feel like it was definitely influenced by Timmins head injuries, there was still a couple solid forwards available. Not like its a bad pick for 25th, some people had him going in the teens. I was really hoping Zary would drop to us but calgary scooped him up right before us. Depending on how timmins turns out, barron could either take his spot or be a trade piece for us so really a wash for this draft. Pretty safe pick i think for 25th. I'm sure sakic did his homework about the injury and surgery he had already and if it would affect his play he wouldn't have drafted him.

Lol I would have loved foerester or zary.. both went right before the avs picked. Avs have an amazing young defense/d prospects, which are always harder to find than forwards so it was a smart choice as long as he stays healthy
ArakinSkywalker liked this.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
I can’t find anywhere that reports he had a rib removed, but he did have a procedure for blood clots. Also supposedly (per AJ at DNVR) the Avs doctors personally cleared him so I don’t think that’s an issue. Personally if he lives up to the billing he is perfect for the Avs future top 4, size, skating and a defensive first mentality that balances perfectly with the explosive offense of Makar. I like the pick a lot. Adds a lot of flexibility for the Avs if they decide to use a d prospect in a trade.

Brian burke was talking about it on sportsnet central during the draft
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:31 a.m.

Its 100% fine of a pick. Brian Burke is a moron most of the times.
Barron was cleared by Avs doctors before the pick, Hepple already mentioned that prior to the draft that. Ill take Hepple and the Avs medical staff over Burke
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: ArakinSkywalker

I dont think Timmins has anything to do with this pick. Timmins is healthy and didnt suffer a concussion in the playoffs. Lets stop being scared about Timmins as a fan base,
Barron was BPA at the time, and for a team that wont have any Dman outside of Helleseon in the pipe line after this year, you need to add to stable. Its a smart pick.

JJ peterka apparently was 2nd on their board for guys available, so they went with their top guy.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:39 a.m.
Brian burke was talking about it on sportsnet central during the draft

That sounds like Burke being an idiot, Barron has a blood clot in his arm. Hes turning into Don Cherry the more air time they give him. Tell us 1 more time about how you traded for the sedins like that is relevant to what you are talking about, its his version of mentioning about coaching the Bruins
Oct. 7, 2020 at 10:59 a.m.
John 3 16
My initial reaction was that it was an ok pick. Nothing more, nothing less. With forwards like Peterka, Mysak, Brisson, Khusnutdinov, and Gunler on the board I'm surprised we went with a D.

My reaction an hour or so after the pick was very positive. He fills our biggest need at RHD, can skate, and is big.

That said, I think there are some serious question marks with him. He's not an offensive dynamo, nor is he a true shutdown guy. He needs a lot of coaching to refine his defensive game. As such, I think this is a pick that the jury will be out on for 3-4 years. He could easily go the same way Meloche did, because he is just solid all-round but doesn't have any extremely standout attributes other than his skating. With proper coaching and development though he does have the skating to be a really good top 4 RHD.

All in all, not the most high-upside pick on the board, but perhaps the most understandable pick to make. Let's see how it turns out.
NMAvsFan liked this.
Oct. 7, 2020 at 12:52 p.m.
Representing the 505
I really wanted them to pick a wing since it's an organizational need but if they thought he was BPA, you have to go with that. And good defensive prospects, particularly ones that skate well and are RH shot, are at a premium so he can either slot in to the lineup in 3-4 years or be a good trade chip. A project RHD with upside is more valuable than a project wing with upside so I'm not surprised they went with this pick. And the Avs could end up spending a ton on D within 3-4 years between Sammy, Makar, Byram and Timmins if they are all in the lineup so it's good to have guys like this in the pipeline to shore up the rest of your D when guys like Johnson are gone or you make a trade of one of those top guys. This isn't a "bad" pick in any sense.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll