SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Why trading Nylander is stupid

Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Do we know who his agent is?

I don’t. Either he’s really good at his job or Dubas sucks at his. Or both i guess.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
I get signing JT helped the team in quite a few ways(consistency among others) but it was just bad timing. Now, I don't believe that keeping JVR to the deal he got in PHI would've been smart either but the team had other things to worry about before signing JT.

Like TOR is one of the only teams to be in cap hell WAY BEFORE they were even close to a cup, and that's an issue. Sorry.

Coming back to the timing thing: it would've been perfect to sign JT but 2 years later, maybe even 3, who knows

Pandemic is why they are in perceived cap hell - just like 10+ other teams in the league.

They've been able to add three legit Top 4 dmen since they signed Tavares (Barrie obviously didn't work out though).

Kappy is traded for that package no matter what their cap situation is. You could argue the cap was the reason Johnsson was dealt, but Robertson was going to make him expendable this year or next, so I'm not really seeing all the fallout from signing Tavares.
Saskleaf and Lanny_McJagrBomb liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
I get signing JT helped the team in quite a few ways(consistency among others) but it was just bad timing. Now, I don't believe that keeping JVR to the deal he got in PHI would've been smart either but the team had other things to worry about before signing JT.

Like TOR is one of the only teams to be in cap hell WAY BEFORE they were even close to a cup, and that's an issue. Sorry.

Coming back to the timing thing: it would've been perfect to sign JT but 2 years later, maybe even 3, who knows

I understand what you mean, but the "the-leafs-should-have-signed-a-defenseman-instead-of-JT" is flawed because there were no defenceman to sign that year. As for forwards, like you said, the next best thing was JVR. Yup, Tavares was a way better choice than keeping JVR.

So that leaves what I'm pretty sure you are actually suggesting, and that's that the leafs should have signed nobody. I just don't see why that would have been good at the time. If they did that, they drift out of the playoff picture, and they are set back, wasting years of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. I think signing JT was the best option.
Barilko14 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: Saskleaf
I understand what you mean, but the "the-leafs-should-have-signed-a-defenseman-instead-of-JT" is flawed because there were no defenceman to sign that year. As for forwards, like you said, the next best thing was JVR. Yup, Tavares was a way better choice than keeping JVR.

So that leaves what I'm pretty sure you are actually suggesting, and that's that the leafs should have signed nobody. I just don't see why that would have been good at the time. If they did that, they drift out of the playoff picture, and they are set back, wasting years of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. I think signing JT was the best option.

well first of all trades can happen
And second of all yeah I'd rather have JT than no one
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
Go leafs go
well first of all trades can happen
And second of all yeah I'd rather have JT than no one

But trades mean you give up someone. To get a good 1st pairing guy, Nylander likely is sacrificed. Not a good move if you don't have Tavares.
vr1995 and Barilko14 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:34 p.m.
Maybe «bad» isn't the best term here but not anywhere near enough term

I get your point but I fundamentally disagree. The reason being is that signing players to as much term as possible is short-sighted. Most players never move (willingly) and don't give players a full NMC in the final year of their deal. 5-6 year terms are better for the team. For your stars they make their money now at the beginning of their NHL career and then, later on, they can play like many are for helping younger stronger teams win cups. 8-year win and then paid contracts end up with 40-year-old 3rd liners making tens of millions which is universally bad. With 5-6 year contracts your player on their second contract ends up 28-32 and he can resign for 5-6 more or move to another team for a different experience or to help them win a cup.
Tons of teams end up with guys in their late 30's who can skate circles around beer league but are clearly outclassed in the NHL precisely because of 7-8 year contracts.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
But trades mean you give up someone. To get a good 1st pairing guy, Nylander likely is sacrificed. Not a good move if you don't have Tavares.

Here's a thought: Sign De Haan (not to the deal he eventually signed tho) and move Gardiner and pick(s) for someone better at defense than him
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
In Pridham we trust

If Leafs don't have JT, I really doubt they are competitive enough to bother trading for Muzzin.

Then with extra capspace, I doubt they finish second in Subban "sweepstakes" last year.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:38 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
100% did. He actually asked for exact Mcdavid percentage.

So Matthews says “sure I would love to sign here for 8 years. 13.2m and not a penny less.”

Your turn...

Another person who doesn't get how contract negotiation works. You're the kind of guy who wants to pay MSRP for something and ends up paying 20 percent over. You don't ask for what you want. You ask for well above what you want.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
"A great 2 c" ? He was an average 2 c, while Tavares is second only to Malkin in that department.

Drai is the best 2C
Malkin is number 2
Tavares is probably number 3
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
Here's a thought: Sign De Haan (not to the deal he eventually signed tho) and move Gardiner and pick(s) for someone better at defense than him

Muzzin plus Brodie plus Tavares is better than De Haan plus defence first Gardiner replacement plus Kadri.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Why do you need that? You’ve got two fantastic centers that are extremely well paid. Once the leafs built their cap structure like that, high end wingers became a luxury that they might not be able to afford. How many times has Crosby turned a kind of middling winger into a good player by his side? Obviously, Sid is a special player, and i don’t think anyone would argue that Matthews or Tavares came anywhere close to Crosby in his prime.

This entire conversation isn’t, “trade nylander because he isn’t good.” Or “trade nylander because you don’t need him.” Rather, it’s, “trade nylander because this team needs to spend money on something that isn’t a top six forward.”

Because putting 3rd and 4th line wingers who can't skate with superstars is stupid. ask McDavid.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:46 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: Onslaught77
Because putting 3rd and 4th line wingers who can't skate with superstars is stupid. ask McDavid.

I don’t recall suggesting putting a 4th liner in the top six. Did i say that?
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
I don’t recall suggesting putting a 4th liner in the top six. Did i say that?

The whole point is to save money by trading Nylander which tons of others (not me because as stated it's stupid) have suggested. In order for trading him to make any meaningful difference, you would have to save at least 3.5 million on his contract and putting a slow ass 30 point player isn't going to make any sense. So near Nylander's skill which is exactly what the Leafs (and everyone else by the way) need and making 3.5 or less. You suggesting not as good as Nylander but as good as Nylander proves you haven't thought it through. It has to be a player who is an NHL top 6 winger and not one who's been placed there because a team has nobody else.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:03 p.m.
Bcarlo25
The whole point is to save money by trading Nylander which tons of others (not me because as stated it's stupid) have suggested. In order for trading him to make any meaningful difference, you would have to save at least 3.5 million on his contract and putting a slow ass 30 point player isn't going to make any sense. So near Nylander's skill which is exactly what the Leafs (and everyone else by the way) need and making 3.5 or less. You suggesting not as good as Nylander but as good as Nylander proves you haven't thought it through. It has to be a player who is an NHL top 6 winger and not one who's been placed there because a team has nobody else.

Why?
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:09 p.m.
Why?

Clearly an Oilers fan who believes that the Oilers management is perfect and it's just bad luck the OIlers haven't been good despite having the greatest player in the world.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:11 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Clearly an Oilers fan who believes that the Oilers management is perfect and it's just bad luck the OIlers haven't been good despite having the greatest player in the world.

You having trouble today or something? Why on earth would you think I’m an oilers fan?
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:13 p.m.
You having trouble today or something? Why on earth would you think I’m an oilers fan?

The fact that you suggest the Leafs copy them.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.

Look, what 3.5m player are you suggesting they put in Nylander's place and what's the trade for him.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
Bcarlo25
The fact that you suggest the Leafs copy them.

When have i mentioned the oilers?
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:18 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Look, what 3.5m player are you suggesting they put in Nylander's place and what's the trade for him.

That is your theory, not mine.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
That is your theory, not mine.

Reading is not your forte is it?
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:29 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Reading is not your forte is it?

Explain to me what i got wrong here.

I don’t think you have to replace nylander with a 3.5 million dollar player.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:31 p.m.
Explain to me what i got wrong here.

I don’t think you have to replace nylander with a 3.5 million dollar player.

You're obviously just trolling so I reported you since you've added nothing to the conversation. You haven't made any suggestions and you haven't added to the conversation. I already made this comment so I edited it and put this response instead. Please read the rules of the form thanks.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 6:34 p.m.
Meh
"You can't have a Nylander trade without a top skilled playmaker to play with Matthews or JT"

Why? Tavares played with sub-par wingers for years and people on here repeatedly say that Matthews scored just as well with Hyman and Brown as his wingers.
Bcarlo25 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll