Buffalo Gives Into best offer

Created by: Bellairs
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 29, 2021
Published: Mar. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is what I based each trade off of:
Eichel to NYR- I don’t think teams want to give up four first round caliber players and sometime last offseason, the Rangers offered something in the realm of what I offered. I think this happens this offseason when things have quieted down about the situation. It would really benefit both teams. the Rangers are an elite player like that away from being extremely dangerous. The Sabers need to just retool a bit and back track. This is the perfect opportunity to do so.

Deangelo to Detroit- Not exactly sure where Deangelo will land but I do think he will end up going somewhere. If he could change, he’s a great power play guy that can put up 50 points a season. Obviously this being his last chance in the NHL. I could also see them terminating the contract somehow if he cant be moved. This all would probably happen in the Offseason so we wont know for sometime.

Georgiev to the Flyers- Again like the Deangelo trade, this can be a lot of different teams but I thought one team that could use some stability in net are the Flyers. He can be a great backup to Hart.

Howden to Seattle- Dont have to explain much here. Someones gotta go and he’s the odd man out.

All the contracts:
Buchnevich 5x5.25 is a solid deal and we should not let Buch go.

Shesterkin- 5x 5,725 is a great deal for our future #1 net minder. He is going to be a very good goalie for a long time.

Lindgren, Gauthier, Hajek and Chytil- All Bridge deals for 2 years.

Huska- we’re going to need a back up and if Huska can keep good numbers going in the AHL, i’d be happy to give him the backup role.

Lundkvist and Pajuniemi- Entry Level contracts. Be excited for both but definitely more excited for Lundkvist.

Staal- A well known face, good locker room guy and great veteran thats been a Ranger before. Good 7th dman.

*Obviously we have no clue what will happen but based on my opinion and from the things ive seen and heard, this all would make sense. At the end of the day, the Rangers could do nothing or they could do tons. Exciting time to be a Rangers fan for sure.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,200,000
2$2,750,000
2$1,750,000
5$5,725,000
1$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$2,800,000
2$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
Trades
NYR
  1. 2021 4th round pick (DET)
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
2022 2nd round pick is conditional. If Deangelo scores 40 points or more, it turns into a 2022 1st round pick.
NYR
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (PHI)
  2. 2021 7th round pick (PHI)
NYR
    Expansion Draft Pick
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$73,837,301$0$7,550,000$7,662,699
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,200,000$5,200,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,800,000$2,800,000
    LD
    RFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,725,000$5,725,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:28 a.m.
    KFTW
    No from Buffalo. You didn’t offer Kakko and not even Nils lol
    fedorov91 liked this.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:30 a.m.
    Given his history (especially with Yzerman) I really doubt that NYR will get anything close to that hall for Tony Deangelo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers had to throw in trade capital to get rid of him (he's still on contract next year at about 4 million AAV).
    fedorov91 and DeadWingsv2 liked this.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:32 a.m.
    Pop Pop
    From waivers to a 1st rounder for dangelo is a big no.
    fedorov91 and BStinson liked this.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:34 a.m.
    Quoting: csick

True and I could see Nils in that trade as well but not Kakko. No team’s gunna give up that much for a player with struggles
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:35 a.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid
    There is no scenario in which DeAngelo would EVER suit up for Detroit. The only way Yzerman would even consider trading for him would be for asset accrual as a paper transaction and nothing more. So, if NYR want to send a 1st+ to DET to take his contract of their hands, maybe then we'd consider it, and DeAngelo would immediately be waived and told to stay home. I'm pretty sure that's how most GMs view him. The guy is an absolute cancer to a locker room and will probably never play in the NHL again.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:37 a.m.
    Quoting: Bellairs
    True and I could see Nils in that trade as well but not Kakko. No team’s gunna give up that much for a player with struggles

You're not going to get eichel without one of laf or kakko in th deal. I also think they would want chytil to be part of any deal.

Wings are going to pass, yzerman traded him before due to character issues, I doubt he brings him back for those same reasons. I would think if they did bring him back it would be for cap reasons helping the rangers at this point. Rangers would have to add for wings to take him. I'm not saying every team in the league would feel this way, but yzerman and the wings is most likely their standpoint. Yzerman is also on the record saying he isn't going to be trading draft picks at this time
    csick liked this.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 7:57 a.m.
    There is no reason on earth to trade Eichel, and certainly no reason to trade him like it's a fire sale, if he's so unhappy he begs to be traded next year then he has to show he's a point+ per-game player again to get the offers back to reasonable levels. As for you having the best offer, BlueJackets, Flames, Montreal fans have all had better offers in fact NYR offers have been so lousy I think they should be banned from the site.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
    Quoting: DeadWingsv2
    There is no scenario in which DeAngelo would EVER suit up for Detroit. The only way Yzerman would even consider trading for him would be for asset accrual as a paper transaction and nothing more. So, if NYR want to send a 1st+ to DET to take his contract of their hands, maybe then we'd consider it, and DeAngelo would immediately be waived and told to stay home. I'm pretty sure that's how most GMs view him. The guy is an absolute cancer to a locker room and will probably never play in the NHL again.

Buying him out costs 1.3M over 2 years. A 2nd is an overpay by a lot let alone what you’re asking for hahaha you’d get close to what the leafs got for retaining on Lehner last season. Regardless we can buy the kid out for pennies and we have tons of cap room to do so
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 8:28 a.m.
    Tony DeAngelo can be bought out for 33% salary this summer... most likely what will happen
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 8:52 a.m.

Kakko/Schneider with Strome and a 1st
    or
    Kravtsov/Nils with Strome and a 1st

However, I'm getting to the point in which I don't think Eichel is necessarily needed. Sure, it would be great, but Strome is in season 3 of finding his game as a 2C - he just needs to win a damn faceoff.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 8:56 a.m.
    KFTW
    Quoting: Mike_Gartner
    Kakko/Schneider with Strome and a 1st
    or
    Kravtsov/Nils with Strome and a 1st

However, I'm getting to the point in which I don't think Eichel is necessarily needed. Sure, it would be great, but Strome is in season 3 of finding his game as a 2C - he just needs to win a damn faceoff.

I just don’t know if y’all can win a cup with Zib and Strome as your top 2 centres. This is no O’Reilly and Schenn
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 9:16 a.m.
    Here's the thing, Buffalo doesnt have to give into anything. They have a top 10 center and arguably top 10 player, when he is 100% healthy. We do not need to move him. So if BUF isnt getting exactly what they want then they do the unthinkable.... they keep their best player they have had in 25 years !
    sabres89 liked this.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.
    I just don’t know if y’all can win a cup with Zib and Strome as your top 2 centres. This is no O’Reilly and Schenn

maybe, maybe not - but this team is playing .500 hockey as the youngest team in the league and with approximately $16M in dead cap.
    not to mention, 70% of their losses have been 1 goal games. they are close.
    i struggle with the Eichel thing, I really do - it would be great to see him in NY and having success, but at what cost?
    csick liked this.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
    Quoting: kedogs00
    Here's the thing, Buffalo doesnt have to give into anything. They have a top 10 center and arguably top 10 player, when he is 100% healthy. We do not need to move him. So if BUF isnt getting exactly what they want then they do the unthinkable.... they keep their best player they have had in 25 years !

you are right, they don't have to do anything - but sitting on Eichel will be the organizations biggest downfall.
    the only way buffalo can rebuild is if they move Eichel. they aren't doing it organically any time soon.
    there is no one to trade (to get better) - they would be lateral moves and the prospect cupboard is pretty bleak.
    it's not like FA's are going to run to buffalo to sign a ticket.

you have seen first hand, year after year, how Eichel reacts on the last media day of the year before playoffs - how many more times do you think he can do that before he flies off the handles?
    imagine what the return for him will be when he publicly asks for a trade and is NM has kicked in?
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid
    Quoting: NYR1983
    Buying him out costs 1.3M over 2 years. A 2nd is an overpay by a lot let alone what you’re asking for hahaha you’d get close to what the leafs got for retaining on Lehner last season. Regardless we can buy the kid out for pennies and we have tons of cap room to do so

I'm not saying it would make sense for the Rags to do it, just that's what it would take. Honestly, buying him out makes more sense for you guys.
    Mar. 29, 2021 at 4:40 p.m.
    Jimbo1119

Any info to back your "cancer to a locker room" accusation?
    Only asking because around NY- the team is extremely tight lipped about whatever happened...what we do know is that ADA had a rough start to the year- as did many following start up after Covid w/ no preseason. And his frustration led to his getting an additional 2 min penalty for "slamming the penalty box Too hard while yelling at the official"...then a few games later after a tough loss he said a few things to Georgiev (following the G making a boneheaded play which cost the game) which resulted in another player punching ADA...one writer (known to dislike ADA) made accusations about ADA mistreating Miller- but this was never confirmed...and if it was true- especially if there was a racial component- ADA should have been gone before the Georgiev incident....now I'm not trying to back the guy in the examples listed above...I just think being blackballed from the league is harsh...unless there is more to the story. Bear in mind if he was a bad locker room presence, don't think they would have signed him for 9M over 2 years this past off season.
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid
    Quoting: Jimbo1119
    Only asking because around NY- the team is extremely tight lipped about whatever happened...what we do know is that ADA had a rough start to the year- as did many following start up after Covid w/ no preseason. And his frustration led to his getting an additional 2 min penalty for "slamming the penalty box Too hard while yelling at the official"...then a few games later after a tough loss he said a few things to Georgiev (following the G making a boneheaded play which cost the game) which resulted in another player punching ADA...one writer (known to dislike ADA) made accusations about ADA mistreating Miller- but this was never confirmed...and if it was true- especially if there was a racial component- ADA should have been gone before the Georgiev incident....now I'm not trying to back the guy in the examples listed above...I just think being blackballed from the league is harsh...unless there is more to the story. Bear in mind if he was a bad locker room presence, don't think they would have signed him for 9M over 2 years this past off season.

https://theathletic.com/2357152/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-waivers-new-york-rangers/
    https://www.today24.news/en/2021/02/cancer-in-the-rangers-locker-room.html
    https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-started-fight-with-alex-georgiev/

If you really want to read some troubling examples, just look up the beat reporters of New York and Arizona on Twitter and what they've had to say about him.
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 11:27 a.m.
    Quoting: Jimbo1119

Isn’t this a catch 22? No player is going to come out and call another a locker room cancer. By doing so makes them a locker room cancer since they’re stirring up drama. What do we know about ADA that isn’t speculation? He has been banned multiple times for using racial slurs and abusing refs. He’s been disciplined multiple times by various organizations for violating team rules. How did Georgiev make a boneheaded play in that OT? What I saw was ADA’s poor attempt at blocking a shot but to his credit they were dead tired. What happens behind closed doors got so bad that NYR would rather waive their defensemen (no suitors) than play him (played poorly to start season). This ACGM went from he’s worthless (passed via waivers) to an early second rounder with the potential to be a top 5 pick in an extremely strong draft.

Your math is a bit off. ADA is 1.7M cash buyout while Toronto’s retention was 190k cash since it was prorated (TDL). Using a previous trade between the teams (Staal) is a much better bench mark as it was 3.2M cash as the Rags already picked up the SB and Detroit needed bodies so remove the league min 700k so 2.5M = second rounder.
    DeadWingsv2 liked this.
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
    Quoting: BStinson
    Isn’t this a catch 22? No player is going to come out and call another a locker room cancer. By doing so makes them a locker room cancer since they’re stirring up drama. What do we know about ADA that isn’t speculation? He has been banned multiple times for using racial slurs and abusing refs. He’s been disciplined multiple times by various organizations for violating team rules. How did Georgiev make a boneheaded play in that OT? What I saw was ADA’s poor attempt at blocking a shot but to his credit they were dead tired. What happens behind closed doors got so bad that NYR would rather waive their defensemen (no suitors) than play him (played poorly to start season). This ACGM went from he’s worthless (passed via waivers) to an early second rounder with the potential to be a top 5 pick in an extremely strong draft.

Your math is a bit off. ADA is 1.7M cash buyout while Toronto’s retention was 190k cash since it was prorated (TDL). Using a previous trade between the teams (Staal) is a much better bench mark as it was 3.2M cash as the Rags already picked up the SB and Detroit needed bodies so remove the league min 700k so 2.5M = second rounder.

Where are you getting 1.7M from???

It’s basically

890k in 22
    390k in 23

This doesn’t come close to 1.7m
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.

Do you think cash is more valuable or cap space???
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.

Really quite stunned that you believe we paid you a 2nd for “salary”. We paid you for the 6m cap space man. You must know/understand that deep down. NYR don’t care about 4M in cash
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
    Where are you getting 1.7M from???

It’s basically

890k in 22
    390k in 23

This doesn’t come close to 1.7m

5.3M * 1/3 = $1,766,667

Since he has one year remaining at the next eligible buyout window it’s spread over two years. Where are you getting your numbers?

Do you think cash is more valuable or cap space???

I think the NHL is a business and owners have cut costs across the board. Wealthy people stay wealthy by making sound business decisions. Hell, the Pegulas have 7 scouts. Let that sink in, they fired 22 FO staff members and the Pegulas rake in cash via NFL. They’re set to make like 300M alone from the NFL tv deal.

Really quite stunned that you believe we paid you a 2nd for “salary”. We paid you for the 6m cap space man. You must know/understand that deep down. NYR don’t care about 4M in cash

Really? Why stunned? Do you think billionaires just own teams for your enjoyment and don’t care about their bottom line? Detroit was never going to use that cap space so if it said 3M more why would they care? They cared about the futures and how much the contract costs, you must understand that. The cost to offload a front loaded contract on the tail end has a ton more appeal that a backloaded cap dump.
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
    Jimbo1119
    https://theathletic.com/2357152/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-waivers-new-york-rangers/
    https://www.today24.news/en/2021/02/cancer-in-the-rangers-locker-room.html
    https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-started-fight-with-alex-georgiev/

If you really want to read some troubling examples, just look up the beat reporters of New York and Arizona on Twitter and what they've had to say about him.

Thanks for the references...but as far as Twitter- I left that site 3 or 4 years ago...and for the reasons I left, still have no interest in going back. So as far as gathering info "the old fashioned way" one of the more recent articles regarding ADA was done by Larry Brooks...in the piece, Marc Staal is interviewed and he seems to go out of his way to say what a good team mate he is and that he never showed any tendencies of being racist...and FWIW, not to totally condone him- but the alleged racist comment he used toward a team mate (early in his career) was an ethnic slur towards another white player....not that that is acceptable- but certainly not the same context as other slurs.

Again- this is not to minimize the infractions he has been involved with...and Staal did mention he is often tough on refs and coaches....but this was all known BEFORE he signed a 9M contract....so all I can find is speculation about what really happened between beginning of season and his dismissal from the team.

Beyond all that- the most likely scenario for ADA is a buyout. For a player with a checkered past, involvement in who knows what (recently), and who has never been known to be a defensive stalwart- his full cap hit is a risk for any team. As far as next year- once he is bought out he'll be available for pennies...but to generate interest he may end up playing abroad or in AHL...if not taken in exp draft.
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 5:11 p.m.
    5.3M * 1/3 = $1,766,667

Since he has one year remaining at the next eligible buyout window it’s spread over two years. Where are you getting your numbers?

The Buyout calculator and multiple source articles have shown what I said. 383k in 22’ and 883k in 23’. AAV is 4.8m by the way

I think the NHL is a business and owners have cut costs across the board. Wealthy people stay wealthy by making sound business decisions. Hell, the Pegulas have 7 scouts. Let that sink in, they fired 22 FO staff members and the Pegulas rake in cash via NFL. They’re set to make like 300M alone from the NFL tv deal.

Really? Why stunned? Do you think billionaires just own teams for your enjoyment and don’t care about their bottom line? Detroit was never going to use that cap space so if it said 3M more why would they care? They cared about the futures and how much the contract costs, you must understand that. The cost to offload a front loaded contract on the tail end has a ton more appeal that a backloaded cap dump.

I’m not saying DET cared about the cap hit, I’m saying the NYR did. They HAD to move Staal to resign guys. Just like they had to buy out Hank. If there was only 500k of actual salary to pay Staal we still would have had to pay the 2nd pick is my point. Maybe you don’t remember the days when there wasn’t a cap and NYR used to hit 140m and miss playoffs but there’s so much money in that franchise it’s crazy. If there was a Luxury Tax implemented in the league we would be overspending like crazy and so would TOR
    Mar. 30, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
    5.3M * 1/3 = $1,766,667

ADA is 4.8M and the buyout calculator is actually 383K for 22’ and 883k for 23’

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll