SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 Playoffs Discussion Thread

May 30, 2021 at 5:54 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Also,

I still CANNOT COMPREHEND how Nedeljkovic wasn’t claimed off waiver.

It’s just not possible for me. I woulda put my job on the line to get the GM to claim him if I worked for a team. He was the easiest claim of the year and no one took him

Paul Byron continues to prove why teams should get him on waivers, we got him from Calgary on waivers and he's done good for us and then teams are scared by his contract but he's i'd say only slightly overpaid
Zinger liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 5:55 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
This season Fox, Makar and McAvoy were all better, but this year was so hard on Heiskanen because of the Covid outbreak in Dallas, the snow storms and the tight schedule coming off an exhausting playoff run with half of their roster injured. I’d wait to see what happens next season before ranking him because he had a little down season this year. Bold take: If he was in Makar’s place he’d be considered as the best d-man in the league, Makar’s circumstances are way better than Heiskanen’s.

Fox defiently can't forget fox, I agree about Heiskanen being great if Makars position, probably would look like Hedman. I love Heiskanen cause he's so calm. I can't wait till Dahlin breaks out, crazy to think if Dahlin had waited to develop like Makar this would be his Rookie season coming up.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 5:56 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
No. If that offer came around I would entertain it. The problem is GMs don’t give what a player like Marner is worth. Whoever trades away the best player almost always loses, and we’re not rebuilding which means you don’t trade stars

Yet when your «star» doesn't bother to show up for FIFTEEN playoff games or so, it's time to move on from the «star»

If Marner had a 9M AAV, I wouldn't complain, but at almost 11M it's unacceptable and inexplicable.

If you have to deal him at 80% value you do it, cause it's clear the dude hasn't learned jack sh*t
May 30, 2021 at 5:57 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Fox defiently can't forget fox, I agree about Heiskanen being great if Makars position, probably would look like Hedman. I love Heiskanen cause he's so calm. I can't wait till Dahlin breaks out, crazy to think if Dahlin had waited to develop like Makar this would be his Rookie season coming up.

I see Heiskanen and Dahlin at the same potential point. If both developed well, both can become studs at one point.
May 30, 2021 at 5:58 p.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Yet when your «star» doesn't bother to show up for FIFTEEN playoff games or so, it's time to move on from the «star»

If Marner had a 9M AAV, I wouldn't complain, but at almost 11M it's unacceptable and inexplicable.

If you have to deal him at 80% value you do it, cause it's clear the dude hasn't learned jack sh*t

Trade Matthews, shows you don't really care about performance if the player has a name. I mean for Pete's sake at least marner has been better than Matthews in their playoffs. Marner is 25pts in 31 games, Matthews...23 in 31. Maybe trade marner after you trade the guy who is worse than marner in the playoffs, Matthews.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: mondo
I'm not angry or upset or worried about the Maple Leafs. I'm just disappointed.

I'm not a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and I don't work for them in any capacity. I have absolutely no effect on how they play and what they do on or off the ice. Why should I be angry that a sports team that I have no control over didn't win a game? I couldn't have done anything and the absolute worst that will happen is some guy on a spreadsheet website will pull up a post from a week ago to make fun of me. Whatever.

This team can absolutely win tomorrow night, but it's much better to expect them to lose. And if they do lose, this will probably be the most disappointing loss out of them because the team doesn't have any excuses to hide behind. It will entirely be on whatever team wants to go out and play tomorrow night. And if (or when) they lose tomorrow, they absolutely will deserve every amount of ridicule and criticism. Because they shouldn't lose tomorrow, they shouldn't even be playing a game 7.

For what it's worth, I don't blame Dubas. I know that's might seem like a hot take Tuesday morning, but he has done absolutely everything in his power to make this team as effective as possible. I don't really blame Keefe either even though his challenge last night was pretty ill-advised. Matthews and Marner have to take the blame for losing if they do. They're over a point per game players in the season playing under point per game hockey in the playoffs. Marner has been especially atrocious and instead of proving people he's worth that 11 million contract, he sent the puck flying over the glass. On the penalty kill.

But you know what's really disappointing? They started playing when they went down 0-2 last night. And they tied it in what, five minutes? The same thing happened the game before. They were entirely capable of winning both nights without needing overtime. Galchenyuk and Dermott don't make mistakes if the game is already over. That's on the team needing to score.

I'm disappointed because I've seen this before. I seen it more than once. It's disappointing because I thought this team was different. It's disappointing because I thought this team had learned. They have 60 minutes on Monday to prove me wrong, but I don't expect much.

Sorry for a long-winded dramatic post, but I wanted to get this off my chest somewhere. Getting any more worked up over the blue tree leaf team isn't worth the time or the energy.

«I'm not upset I'm just disappointed»

The absolute WORST thing we've all heard from our parents at some point
yikes liked this.
This «Don't entertain this idea» is one of the dumbest mentalities ever.

So what you're saying is, in an alternate universe where GMKD gets offered Matthew Tkachuk and Jakob Pelletier for Marner you wouldn't do it????

If special means not showing up for 15 straight playoff games then he is special

My thing is, whenever somebody is in a little bit of a slump, or the puck just isnt going in, people think theyre not worth it, or they choke.

Marner has had opportunities and the puck just hasnt gone in, it doesnt mean hes useless or hasnt showed up. I remember clear as day marner blocking passes, being awesome on the PK (last night was a fluke. Nobody means to do that), and bringing energy to the team.

If you trade marner, nobody is going to give fair value, and the leafs will lose that trade, thats why i say dont trade him.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Paul Byron continues to prove why teams should get him on waivers, we got him from Calgary on waivers and he's done good for us and then teams are scared by his contract but he's i'd say only slightly overpaid

AN a little different tho. He was “ELC” and like an obvious pick up. Byron is awful as you said, but AN put up solid AHL numbers and is young. All that combined with the “hype” that he had and it was like a free high end prospect tossed out.

Byrons term is the issue I think for teams who don’t love the cap. Whereas AN was just a confusing unclaim.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 5:59 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
I see Heiskanen and Dahlin at the same potential point. If both developed well, both can become studs at one point.

I think Dahlin has medium franchise potential. Makar Heiskanen are low franchise. Although Dahlin probably won't get to his potential cause the sabres have stunted both his and Eichels growth.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Canes fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Yeah I rarely watch Canadian teams, but when I watched the Habs last night, Byron was actually surprisingly good. And that got me thinking "Why do people think he is so bad?" Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that lol.
A_Habs_fan liked this.

Lets trade Matthews then shall we? he hasnt showed up this playoffs either!
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
My thing is, whenever somebody is in a little bit of a slump, or the puck just isnt going in, people think theyre not worth it, or they choke.

Marner has had opportunities and the puck just hasnt gone in, it doesnt mean hes useless or hasnt showed up. I remember clear as day marner blocking passes, being awesome on the PK (last night was a fluke. Nobody means to do that), and bringing energy to the team.

If you trade marner, nobody is going to give fair value, and the leafs will lose that trade, thats why i say dont trade him.

A slump doesn't last FIFTEEN games. It just doesn't.

Matthews and Nylander have shown that their maturity level has grown this season... Marner? Not in the slightest
May 30, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Lets trade Matthews then shall we? he hasnt showed up this playoffs either!

Uhhhhhh yes he has, his shots look dangerous as hell, way more than Marner's
Zinger liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:01 p.m.
Nylander isn't going anywhere. And he should not be traded unless the return is an absolute steal. I'd be very interested in hearing offers on Tavares, even if it would require Dubas (or his successor) to deal him at a slight discount. Having a 2C at $11M is ridiculous and Tavares would put up much bigger numbers in Vegas or PHI (an example).
Canes fan

Yeah that makes no sense. Matthews definitely ain't his normal self, but at least he remember how to play hockey unlike Mitch.
Jinx god
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I think Dahlin has medium franchise potential. Makar Heiskanen are low franchise. Although Dahlin probably won't get to his potential cause the sabres have stunted both his and Eichels growth.

And Heiskanen is playing for a coach who’s about 70 years old, and is stuck in the 80’s who’s ruining his game.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Do u think a Marner for Meier and Labanc base works?

I have zero interest in Marner. Meier is a tradeable asset if we suck again and he’s still got a lot of upside cause when hes engaged he’s very good. Labanc had a great year on again a terrible team but also falters to that lack of engagement Meier does (both players clearly do not like losing and just disengage too often; which is their own faults and not an excuse).

Marner is good and I do rag on him a ton but he’s a great player with a scary contract that we just cannot afford to take on and would be hard to trade. Whereas we can keep or trade those two for good returns or keep them as players if we somehow get good again.
May 30, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
Yeah I rarely watch Canadian teams, but when I watched the Habs last night, Byron was actually surprisingly good. And that got me thinking "Why do people think he is so bad?" Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that lol.

He's not bad, just the term scares some people and the AAV is a bit high
Zinger liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:03 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Brian2016
Nylander isn't going anywhere. And he should not be traded unless the return is an absolute steal. I'd be very interested in hearing offers on Tavares, even if it would require Dubas (or his successor) to deal him at a slight discount. Having a 2C at $11M is ridiculous and Tavares would put up much bigger numbers in Vegas or PHI (an example).

I don't recall any Nylander rumors to start with except a couple years ago with his signing dilemma. Did I miss something? Marner could definitely be traded though.
May 30, 2021 at 6:03 p.m.

Problem is...well Marner has converted more than Matthews. The superstars of Toronto all have been a disgrace and that's why they are losing. Trading marner would be stupid.
MitchMarner_16 and Saskleaf liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
I don't recall any Nylander rumors to start with except a couple years ago with his signing dilemma. Did I miss something? Marner could definitely be traded though.

Nylander for Pesce was probably the #1 trade on the AGM in the history of this site.
Zinger, BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
Canes fan
HERE WE GO BOYS!!! LETS GET SOME MOMENTUM IN THE 2ND!!! LETS GO CANES!!!
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
Yeah that makes no sense. Matthews definitely ain't his normal self, but at least he remember how to play hockey unlike Mitch.

Idk, I didn't notice Matthews last night and Marner drew penalties and got them going for the 2-0 comeback. He did kinda create the deficit though.
Zinger and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
May 30, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
A slump doesn't last FIFTEEN games. It just doesn't.

Matthews and Nylander have shown that their maturity level has grown this season... Marner? Not in the slightest

IM just not going to argue anymore.

No matter what I say, or how many valid points I bring up, you're going to pick out all his faults and ignoring all his strengths and BLATANTLY disregarding all the good things hes done.

Again, no matter what i say, you have your mind made up that marner isn't worth it and that hes overpaid and should be gone.
May 30, 2021 at 6:06 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Brian2016
Nylander for Pesce was probably the #1 trade on the AGM in the history of this site.

Now that you mention, I remember that. But there hasn't been much popping around him recently other than his lack of ice time for being one of the top players on the leafs.
Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll