SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

Suggestions Megathread

Dec. 22, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I would like to point out the overalls are weighted against equal counterparts at the same talent level (so all prospects OVR's are comparable, all 1st liners, all 2nd liners, etc). The biggest problem with the scouting reports seems to be the fact there's a high bar to understand them

I too read the FAQ, but it did not help explain their misguided views of players.

Take Nico Hischier, for example.

Compete/Consistency: 70
Defensive Zone Starts: 70
Hockey IQ: 70
Penalty Kill: 70
Power Play: 70
Physicality: 30
Puck Moving/Passing: 70
Shot: 70
Skating: 80

Vs Ryan Johansen, who they view as superior player.

Compete/Consistency: 79
Defensive Zone Starts: 65
Hockey IQ: 79
Offensive Zone Starts: 90
Penalty Kill: 20
Power Play: 96
Physicality: 65
Shot: 85
Skating: 79

Or Max Domi

Compete/Consistency: 80
Defensive Zone Starts: 60
Hockey IQ: 75
Offensive Zone Starts: 75
Penalty Kill: 35
Power Play: 75
Physicality: 75
Shot: 72
Skating: 84

Or Luke Hughes

Compete/Consistency: 45
Defensive Zone Starts: 50
Hockey IQ: 70
Penalty Kill: 30
Power Play: 90
Physicality: 60
Puck Moving/Passing: 90
Shot: 70
Skating: 90

Vs Pavel Mintyukov

Compete/Consistency: 95
Defensive Zone Starts: 80
Hockey IQ: 88
Offensive Zone Starts: 99
Penalty Kill: 75
Power Play: 95
Physicality: 80
Puck Moving/Passing: 93
Shot: 89
Skating: 86

I could give you tons of examples.

There really are quite terrible…and should be deleted.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
Easton Cowan and Matthew Tkachuk are currently very equal players (both rated as NHLers…so same scale used to measure them).

Compete/Consistency: 94 - 92
Defensive Zone Starts: 85 - 85
Hockey IQ: 89- 89
Offensive Zone Starts: 99 - 90
Penalty Kill: 5 - 80
Power Play: 96 - 88
Physicality: 90 -84
Puck Moving/Passing: 90 - 87
Shot: 90 - 88
Skating: 78 - 89

(This is obviously nonsense)
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:20 a.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I think posting them may hurt CapFriendly’s credibility. They only seem to scout Canadian teams…and the more they are read, the more biased they appear. They have some junior players as better than some current NHL all-stars.

Just delete em all.

it really isnt that difficult to understand. There's even a quick explanation when you put your mouse over the player ranking. A junior player isnt being compared to NHL all-stars.

The Pro Hockey Group is constantly adding new scouting reports and is almost through every team. The more they add the better the tool will get.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:24 a.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Easton Cowan and Matthew Tkachuk are currently very equal players (both rated as NHLers…so same scale used to measure them).

Compete/Consistency: 94 - 92
Defensive Zone Starts: 85 - 85
Hockey IQ: 89- 89
Offensive Zone Starts: 99 - 90
Penalty Kill: 5 - 80
Power Play: 96 - 88
Physicality: 90 -84
Puck Moving/Passing: 90 - 87
Shot: 90 - 88
Skating: 78 - 89

(This is obviously nonsense)

Take a look again - Cowan is being ranked in the Line 2/ prospect category while Tkachuk is in the Line 1/Franchise player category. It's really not that difficult to understand.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 1:22 a.m.
Quoting: Jarvis
Take a look again - Cowan is being ranked in the Line 2/ prospect category while Tkachuk is in the Line 1/Franchise player category. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Mathew Tkachuk
- 85 overall
- assessed as NHL player

Easton Cowan
- 89 overall
- 2nd liner
- assessed as NHL player

See in their FAQ….”Players signed to NHL contracts are evaluated compared to full-time NHL players.”

So take Cowan vs Chandler Stephanson, Matthew Tkatuck, and Vincent Trocheck.

Name……………..EC - CS - MT - VT
overall…………….89 - 87 - 85 - 86
Line/role…………L2 - L2 - L1 - L2

Cmpt/Cons….….92 - 90 - 94 - 88
D-Zone Start…..85 - 85 - 85 - 82
Hockey IQ……….89 - 86 - 89 - 80
O-Zone Start…..90 - 92 - 99 - 92
Penalty Kill……..80 - 88 - 5 - - 80
Power Play……..88 - 88 - 96 - 80
Physicality……...84 - 62 - 90 - 84
Puck Moving…..87 - 88 - 90 - 85
Passing…………..87 - 88 - 90 - 85
Shooting…………88 - 79 - 90 - 89
Skating……………89 - 94 - 78 - 87

Seems a bit ambitious for a guy currently playing in junior hockey
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Mathew Tkachuk
- 85 overall
- assessed as NHL player

Easton Cowan
- 89 overall
- 2nd liner
- assessed as NHL player

See in their FAQ….”Players signed to NHL contracts are evaluated compared to full-time NHL players.”

They're not say Eastan Cowan is an 89 Overall NHL Player. They're saying he's a 89 Overall Junior Player, being compared to only junior players, if he were in the NHL he'd be way lower overall. They aren't saying he's better than Tkachuk. He's being evaluated as if they've only watched Junior players, the overall explains he's one of the better current players in junior in their opinion, and their projection explains that they think he has potential to be a 2nd liner.
A_Habs_fan and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
They're not say Eastan Cowan is an 89 Overall NHL Player. They're saying he's a 89 Overall Junior Player, being compared to only junior players, if he were in the NHL he'd be way lower overall. They aren't saying he's better than Tkachuk. He's being evaluated as if they've only watched Junior players, the overall explains he's one of the better current players in junior in their opinion, and their projection explains that they think he has potential to be a 2nd liner.

No, read the FAQ....he is signed to NHL contract and is compared only to NHL players.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
No, read the FAQ....he is signed to NHL contract and is compared only to NHL players.

Hmm yea you're right, I don't know if they meant it that way. It seems funky they'd be comparing Cowan to like NHLers as you said. And the guy who founded the Pro Hockey Group was a longtime scout with Nashville and Florida, and even coached in the OHL.

I think using contracted NHL players was the wrong way of explaining how they separated their evaluations. Judging by their evaluations they'd make decent sense too me if someone like Cowan, who is signed but playing junior Hockey is being compared too other Junior Hockey players. Which I think is how it's intended.

Quoting: Faqs
How are prospects, who haven’t signed entry-level contracts, rated?
There are many moving parts with still developing prospects. Every player develops at his own pace. It’s for that reason previously drafted players are evaluated in comparison to other previously drafted prospects. A prospect who was drafted in the sixth round could conceivably develop into a better prospect than a player drafted in the third round.

It even acknowlegdes still developing prospects need to be evaluated vs other prospects. I don't think they considered prospects who sign ELC's instantly when writing the FAQ's.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Mathew Tkachuk
- 85 overall
- assessed as NHL player

Easton Cowan
- 89 overall
- 2nd liner
- assessed as NHL player

You missed the whole "trending" spot.
Cowan - Projection 2nd line / Trending: Prospect

Tkachuk: Projection First Line / Trending: Under NHL Contract

Really don't know how this is so difficult to understand.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Hmm yea you're right, I don't know if they meant it that way. It seems funky they'd be comparing Cowan to like NHLers as you said. And the guy who founded the Pro Hockey Group was a longtime scout with Nashville and Florida, and even coached in the OHL.

I think using contracted NHL players was the wrong way of explaining how they separated their evaluations. Judging by their evaluations they'd make decent sense too me if someone like Cowan, who is signed but playing junior Hockey is being compared too other Junior Hockey players. Which I think is how it's intended.

It even acknowlegdes still developing prospects need to be evaluated vs other prospects. I don't think they considered prospects who sign ELC's instantly when writing the FAQ's.

Cowan's scouting report is evaluating him as a prospect. Says right beside the Trending spot
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Cowan's scouting report is evaluating him as a prospect. Says right beside the Trending spot

Yea I thought so.

The FAQ's just doesn't really explain that, and sorta contradicts that by saying:
Quoting: FAQS
Players signed to NHL contracts are evaluated compared to full-time NHL players. Some players are still developing in the “AHL” or a pro circuit in Europe. All players signed to NHL contracts – whether they are in the league or outside the league – are compared the same way due to their contract status – “Under NHL Contract”

Example:
Montreal Canadiens prospect “David Reinbacher” signed his entry-level contract with the club. He attended training camp but was ultimately re-assigned to his European club team in the Swiss National League – “EHC Kloten”.

Which I believe the confusion is stemming from.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:49 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly
Yea I thought so.

The FAQ's just doesn't really explain that, and sorta contradicts that by saying:

Which I believe the confusion is stemming from.

thanks, we will update the FAQ to make it clearer
BigBallsBriere and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 25, 2023 at 12:42 a.m.
You missed the whole "trending" spot.
Cowan - Projection 2nd line / Trending: Prospect

Tkachuk: Projection First Line / Trending: Under NHL Contract

Really don't know how this is so difficult to understand.

1. Read the FAQ which specifically says the opposite

Quoting: FAQ
Players signed to NHL contracts are evaluated compared to full-time NHL players. Some players are still developing in the “AHL” or a pro circuit in Europe. All players signed to NHL contracts – whether they are in the league or outside the league – are compared the same way due to their contract status – “Under NHL Contract”

2. I was specifically talking about the attribute ratings. I will table my disagreements on singular assessments (like one guy’s skating or physicality). We all have our own views. But for all the ‘grading on a curve’ type of explanations, these figures do not appear to follow anything like a normal distribution of scores. If one plotted every score on every attribute on every player, my guess it would appear to be a broken dumbbell of figures.

3. If players are sorted on main page by “overall rating” it is going to mislead most readers into seeing it as single category for all players. Instead of sorting by rating, it should instead be sorted by NHL vs Prospect…or actual rating vs peak estimate…L1 vs L2….anything that allows apples-to-apples comparison.

4. The listing for “under NHL contract” for NHL players is also misleading because it is not what separates prospects vs NHLers (as you know, many prospects are under contract).

5. The L1, L2, P1, P2 system is also challenging as well. The explaining reads as if their line designation is a demographic (ie, as if it were a fixed characteristic like birthdate or righty/lefty). As players develop, they can easily matriculate from one line to another. On many teams, line assignments change night to night. So are we supposed to check the depth chart each time we look at these ratings?

6. The weighting system is a challenge for me too. While I understand it’s necessity for coming up with an ‘overall score’, it raises a lot of other questions that the qualitative side of scouting can interpret. Should prospects and NHLers carry similar weights? How about forwards and defensemen? How about a recently drafted sniper vs fully developed physical dman?

7. There is too much subjectivity involved in assessing whether a player is a prospect or not, or a 1st liner vs 2nd liner. By segmenting the pool of players into so many categories, It renders the comparative utility of these almost useless.

8. There ought to be a better way to compare similar players. For instance, we should be able to screen by players of similar age, similar draft cohort…or even similar league (ie Juniors, NCAA, Euro). Most fans will want to see how their prospects are doing relative to other similar prospects…and right now, there is no way to do that (unless they are assigned the same developmental stage, same line projection…and have actually been scouted).

9. Not all teams have been scouted. There are numerous references to how players are scouted and measured relative to their peers. But if only half the league have assessments, it’s hard to read these properly (how can we know if the cup is half full if we don’t know how big the cup is?).

10. There ought to be a baseline for all players. For instance, amateur scouting departments will have a book on many prospects leading up into their draft. At a very minimum, they have information supplied by central scouting. As a player progresses through their development, the draft ratings can serve as a “starting line” for all players. As it stands now, there is no baseline.

11. There is a weird break in the numbers used. It is highlighted that a different scale was used before and after September 2023. Why include anything before? I appreciate that the methodological change was noted, but it leads me to question why the ‘old way’ was even published. Every player with an older report should have an updated report (or better yet, leave the 0-10 scale, and apply to all new reports).

12. Much of the CapFriendly brand is based on facts and figured. It is free of subjectivity. Transactions, cap figures, contract information, CBA rules. These are hard, incontrovertible and fixed. Tools such as Trade Machine, ACGM can measure fans interpretation of them…but the facts are still the same. CapFriendly has become a hugely trusted resource based on its adherence to this. How many times have we read top hockey writers and observers say, “according to CapFriendly…”? This website has become a tent-pole for hockey fandom. Which is why this ‘scouting report’ exercise seems so off-brand for CF.

13. Instead of advertising one author for scout, it would seem to me CF would be better served to either (a) stay clear of single-source, subjective content or (b) find a way to aggregate multiple sources into more of a consensus datapoint. (With such a large user-base…could even trust the wisdom of crowds to provide such information).

14. I am sorry to be calling folks out on this. But I shouldn’t need a secret decoder ring to make sense of it all. Maybe I am the big dummy, but I am familiar enough with the scouting community and player reports to know the simplest, most straight forward ones are the most useful.

15. I have said that these should be taken down. I know that a lot of work have gone into producing and publishing them and I appreciate that. But there are too many issues here to ignore.

16. My recommendations would be:
(A) Hide them until reports on every player, using same methodology, are ready.
(B) Simplify the categories.
(C) Reduce the number of buckets players can fall into.
(D) Find a common measure for all players (ie “peak ratings” vs “current ratings”).
(E) Use multiple sources.
(F) Present as subjective content.
(G) Allow users to screen based on age, developmental stage or draft year.
(H) Add a tool that allows users to adjust their own weights (or even to dial the categories up and down).
(I) Eliminate the Line groupings (L1, L2, etc).
(J) Use examples in FAQ that point out what is being shared here.
(K) Explain scouting process in FAQ (how many games were factored into player reports? What were dates of those assessments? How many scouts contributed to score?).
(L) Create a forum for the scouts to interact with users (or with other scouts).
(M) Once the data has been fully populated, use for macro assessments for things like measuring draft years against each other…or how well a team does at drafting or development.
(N) Use a baseline.
(O) Show backdated information (ie player X is an 85-skater today, but was 65 at draft time).
(P) Release reports on a schedule (while actually scouting make take place at different times, the reports should be refreshed at least a few times a year, even if there is no change).
(Q) If they ever get in the way of CF core brand, abandon them.

That’s all. Merry Christmas.
Jan. 4 at 5:46 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
@Banks @Jarvis

I don't know if your team was already aware of this issue, but it's impossible to link a tweet since Twitter became X.
Jan. 4 at 9:39 p.m.
ETA of 2024 draft getting loaded up?

Is there a target date for the tool to come out?
Jan. 7 at 10:04 p.m.
Updating the Arm-Chair from reflecting players's cap hit as cap space when they are on LTIR to adding salary and bonus pools on the "Roster Size, Salary Cap ... Cap Space" header. Would probably be lead to a better understanding of how LTIR works since I'd reckon a fair bit of people operate under the assumption that it is "free cap space".
Jan. 10 at 11:03 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
will there be embedded options like there was with Twitter, for other new similar platforms like Threads or Bluesky? (if at all even possible?)
Jan. 24 at 4:39 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Make country something you can search by when you are creating a team under the NHL logo team.

So many Olympic and world cup teams create discussion and player pages already have nationality on them.

You can already search by nhl team, age position etc.

Reiterating this. Making Olympic teams etc is fun. Please add "country" to sortable list like cap hit, team and position already are. On each player page you have their nationality so hopefully this isn't difficult.

Asking again. So many Olympic and world cup teams are made and this would make it easier. Evey player page already lists their nationality.

Almost 26K posts and I can't even get a response after three times
Feb. 1 at 3:48 p.m.
McMann Season
Please make all Premium features marked with (PREMIUM).

Some premium features like:

Buyout History and COVID Roster Freeze Players

are not flagged with (PREMIUM) but are premium features if you attempt to use them.
Feb. 3 at 12:05 p.m.
Almost 26K posts and I can't even get a response after three times

I concur with little Jerry. Now that the league has committed to return to international play, it would be fun if there was a way for users to make international teams (either in ACGM, or separate Int’l GM section) and be able to screen players under “player tab” by country they represent (now always same as country of birth).
Feb. 3 at 1:26 p.m.
I concur with little Jerry. Now that the league has committed to return to international play, it would be fun if there was a way for users to make international teams (either in ACGM, or separate Int’l GM section) and be able to screen players under “player tab” by country they represent (now always same as country of birth).

If you click on a player page, they have the country listed, even the flag! Would be easy to add!
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 7 at 5:39 p.m.
It is out now!

Similar timeline for 2024 draft?
Feb. 7 at 10:11 p.m.
Follow CapFriendly

2024 mock draft is coming very soon.
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 11 at 10:54 a.m.
There has been an increasing trend of NHL trades including both NHL and AHL-only components. And I think CF should list these deals accordingly.

Many of these are listed as separate, corresponding transactions. For example, it will often read like "player X has been traded from NHL1 to NHL2 for future considerations...player has been traded from AHL2 to AHL1 for future considerations". Sometimes they are announced in joint release, sometimes they are announced separately since one player is on an NHL deal and other is on an AHL deal.

When two separate transactions are required, CapFriendly only shows only the NHL portion of the deal, which doesn't give the full picture of the transaction.

Not always, here is one example where CF included both NHL and AHL portions together (I think that was displayed accurately):

Feb 9 2018 Trade between NYR and WAS

NYR receives: John Albert · $0 (AHL/JR), Hubert Labrie (AHL contract)
WAS receives: Adam Chapie · $0 (AHL/JR), Joe Whitney (AHL contract)

NHL Release
AHL Release (which did report them as separate transactions)

----

Here are some recent examples of trades that had both

Oct 26 2022 Trade between MTL and CHI

CHI receives: Cameron Hillis · $0 (AHL/JR)
MTL receives: Nicolas Beaudin · $0 (AHL/JR)

But it should read,

CHI receives: Cameron Hillis · $0 (AHL/JR)
MTL receives: Nicolas Beaudin · $0 (AHL/JR), Riley McKay (AHL Contract)

NHL Release
AHL Release

----

Jan 18 2023 Trade between SJS and DET

DET receives: Jasper Weatherby · $0 (AHL/JR)
SJS receives: Kyle Criscuolo · $0 (AHL/JR)

But it should read,

DET receives: Jasper Weatherby · $0 (AHL/JR), Patrick McGrath (AHL Contract)
SJS receives: Kyle Criscuolo · $0 (AHL/JR)

NHL Release
AHL Release, AHL Release

----

Mar 2 2023 Trade between BUF and CHI

BUF receives: Future Considerations
CHI receives: Anders Bjork · $475,000 (AHL/JR)

But it should read,

BUF receives: Carson Gicewicz (AHL Contract)
CHI receives: Anders Bjork · $475,000 (AHL/JR)

NHL Release
AHL Release

----

Mar 2 2023 Trade between ANA and CHI

ANA receives: Dylan Sikura · $0 (AHL/JR)
CHI receives: Maxim Golod · $0 (AHL/JR)

But it should read,

ANA receives: Dylan Sikura · $0 (AHL/JR)
CHI receives: Maxim Golod · $0 (AHL/JR), Rocco Grimaldi (AHL Contract), Logan Nijhoff (AHL Contract)

NHL Release
AHL Release

----

Mar 3 2023 Trade between NYR and VAN

NYR receives: Wyatt Kalynuk · $0 (AHL/JR)
VAN receives: Future Considerations

But it should read,

NYR receives: Wyatt Kalynuk · $0 (AHL/JR)
VAN receives: Zach Giuttari (AHL Contract)

NHL Release
AHL Release

----

Mar 10 2023 trade between OTT and NJD

NJD receives: Jayce Hawryluk · $0 (AHL/JR)
OTT receives: Future Considerations

But it should read,

NJD receives: Jayce Hawryluk · $0 (AHL/JR)
OTT receives: Dylan Blujus (AHL Contract)

NHL Release
AHL Release

----

Jan 11 2024 Trade between BUF and MTL

BUF receives: Future Considerations
MTL receives: Filip Cederqvist · $0 (AHL/JR)

But it should read,

BUF receives: Noah Laaouan (AHL Contract)
MTL receives: Filip Cederqvist · $0 (AHL/JR), Chris Jandric (AHL Contract)

NHL Release
AHL Release AHL Release
Feb. 11 at 12:33 p.m.
Could you add more filters to the scouting reports page? I find its difficult to find players that can be compared directly since you cannot filter by 'talent level' or 'projection'. It would be nice if I could put a filter to only look at 2nd pair defensemen (for example) and then sort by overall

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll