SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:15 p.m.

Raska is a ferocious player who is playing constantly looking for a big play - usually a hit or adding physicality. Sometimes just being the guy giving the most effort. But Raska has shown commitment to growth to his areas of weakness (being an offensive threat, in terms of production and shots/ passing) and clearly makes strides month by month. Can't wait to see Raska - who's been my favourite prospect to mention when discussing top Sharks prospects (as he clearly isnt a "top prospect" in the usual terms).

Raska makes his NHL debut tonight. And that goes to show that you should never quit - as a prospect rated with a minimal chance at ever making the NHL with a ceiling of only being a 4th liner. Raska makes his NHL from the 2020 draft much sooner than anyone anticipated when selected 201st overall (7th round). Only 21 players from the 2020 Draft Class have played in the NHL, Raska is set to be the 22nd. All the way from the back end at 201st
capsfan2121 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Watching Levi in those juniors just had me feeling he was NOT a one hit wonder. He just looked so strong; and didn't look like someone playing out of their mind that was burning bright and gonna fizzle out.

Can't wait to see what he can do in Rochester.

He's gonna come onto buffalo after a year in Rochester and him and UPL will battle for starter as we are starting to reach playoff status
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:19 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
He's gonna come onto buffalo after a year in Rochester and him and UPL will battle for starter as we are starting to reach playoff status

Kids gonna be sick - I woulda liked to see more in the Reinhart return; but clearly Florida (like Buffalo) had expectations for Levi that made it difficult to get much more and now you can see why.
BuFfaLOFaN and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Kids gonna be sick - I woulda liked to see more in the Reinhart return; but clearly Florida (like Buffalo) had expectations for Levi that made it difficult to get much more and now you can see why.

Getting a good goalie is something buffalo knows has value as well... Miller, Hasak....
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
Edited Jan. 11, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Getting a good goalie is something buffalo knows has value as well... Miller, Hasak....

Yeah it's kinda funny, most teams struggle because they can never find a good goalie (for example, Calgary has been in the murky middle for most of the last decade because until we signed Markstrom, we had not had a good goalie since Kipper left) but Buffalo has pretty much always had a good goalie, with the exception of this year and the Eichel tank year. They basically jumped straight from Hasek to Miller (with a brief hiatus of being extraordinarily average with Biron), and then had Lehner, then Ullmark. They've just never been able to put a half decent team in front of the goalie lol
yikes, A_Habs_fan, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 8:28 p.m.
I remember when isles were top 5 with Michael Dal colle leading the way

capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899

I would say don’t worry but Trotz is you’re coach and we all know his special move for young players... bench em
Db1899 liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 9:24 p.m.

I thought they’d be a couple spots higher (Penguins and Lightning have next to nothing and at least Raty is a good prospect), but I forgot that Salo, Bellows, and Koivula no longer count for Wheeler’s rankings, and obviously Dobson and Wahlstrom have graduated. It doesn’t help that Holmstrom’s development has gone sideways and Wilde is an idiot.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I thought they’d be a couple spots higher (Penguins and Lightning have next to nothing and at least Raty is a good prospect), but I forgot that Salo, Bellows, and Koivula no longer count for Wheeler’s rankings, and obviously Dobson and Wahlstrom have graduated. It doesn’t help that Holmstrom’s development has gone sideways and Wilde is an idiot.

I feel like it’s fair to put them at 31 although I do think he’s too low on Raty. Says he isn’t smart enough to drive a line when that’s what he’s excelled at the past two years in liiga even when he wasnt producing.

Isles ruined Holmstroms development by bringing him to the AHL at 18 YO. He’s actually been good this season, but his ceiling is a 3rd liner who plays in all situations. It was really dumb to select him over Tomasino/Mcmichael
Alfie11 liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 9:48 p.m.
I feel like it’s fair to put them at 31 although I do think he’s too low on Raty. Says he isn’t smart enough to drive a line when that’s what he’s excelled at the past two years in liiga even when he wasnt producing.

Isles ruined Holmstroms development by bringing him to the AHL at 18 YO. He’s actually been good this season, but his ceiling is a 3rd liner who plays in all situations. It was really dumb to select him over Tomasino/Mcmichael

Yeah I agree on Holmstrom. I’m usually a proponent of leaving Europeans that aren’t top 5 picks in Europe for a year, or if they get brought over sending them to the CHL, and then a year in the AHL if they’re ready (2 years in Europe/junior then 1-2 in the AHL for slower development), it just seems to work out better than rushing them to the AHL. Like Lassi Thomson played a year and a half in Finland, and then when it was clear his development was going sour over there he was brought to the AHL, but as a then 20yo. The AHL is probably the second best league in the world (at worst third) and guys need to really have the physical tools already in order to actually succeed there.

I think given Wheeler’s restrictions, it’s probably accurate. When I was trying to predict his rankings, I thought Alnefelt+Duke+that RD I always forget+I think they had a 2nd last year beats out Raty+Iskhakov+Bolduc+Holmstrom for me (forgot Dufour), but only barely because I’m a big fan of Alnefelt and Duke. No Raddysh or Katchouk though. TBL and NYI are super close imo. Pittsburgh has Poulin+POJ+Blomqvist+Clang+Legare but I could not name another prospect from them if I tried lol, decent enough group to probably make them the best of these three, but no depth whatsoever beyond that. If Bellows, Koivula, and Salo still counted I think NYI would be #29 at worst, maybe even a little higher. Not sure who else is mediocre these days, maybe the Bruins are down there with just Lysell+Studnicka+Lauko+Vaakainen+Beecher, or the Caps with just Lapierre+Alexeyev+Iorio+Leason (Protas has probably graduated), but that’s stronger than PIT and TBL imo.
yikes liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 10:17 p.m.
Yeah I agree on Holmstrom. I’m usually a proponent of leaving Europeans that aren’t top 5 picks in Europe for a year, or if they get brought over sending them to the CHL, and then a year in the AHL if they’re ready (2 years in Europe/junior then 1-2 in the AHL for slower development), it just seems to work out better than rushing them to the AHL. Like Lassi Thomson played a year and a half in Finland, and then when it was clear his development was going sour over there he was brought to the AHL, but as a then 20yo. The AHL is probably the second best league in the world (at worst third) and guys need to really have the physical tools already in order to actually succeed there.

I think given Wheeler’s restrictions, it’s probably accurate. When I was trying to predict his rankings, I thought Alnefelt+Duke+that RD I always forget+I think they had a 2nd last year beats out Raty+Iskhakov+Bolduc+Holmstrom for me (forgot Dufour), but only barely because I’m a big fan of Alnefelt and Duke. No Raddysh or Katchouk though. TBL and NYI are super close imo. Pittsburgh has Poulin+POJ+Blomqvist+Clang+Legare but I could not name another prospect from them if I tried lol, decent enough group to probably make them the best of these three, but no depth whatsoever beyond that. If Bellows, Koivula, and Salo still counted I think NYI would be #29 at worst, maybe even a little higher. Not sure who else is mediocre these days, maybe the Bruins are down there with just Lysell+Studnicka+Lauko+Vaakainen+Beecher, or the Caps with just Lapierre+Alexeyev+Iorio+Leason (Protas has probably graduated), but that’s stronger than PIT and TBL imo.

Yeah that’s the way to do it, there aren’t too many 18 YO who can thrive in the AHL. Holmstrom just looked out of place in his D+1 and then the isles had him put on weight, but he put on too much weight in a short amount of time which has affected his skating. His development has been a mess for the most part, but he looks more confident this season and he’s playing with better forwards which helps.

TBL, PIT, and NYI all have terrible prospect pools, like I think 31 is fair but you can make an argument for all 3 being 31. The Bruins drafting Lysell definitely puts them ahead of all of NYI/TB/PIT. I think he’s a good bet to be a 1st line winger. I still can’t believe he fell as far as he did.

It’s always fun to go back and see what prospects Wheeler/Pronman were completely wrong about especially because I think both can be extremely arrogant at times lol.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 10:17 p.m.

Yeah that’s the way to do it, there aren’t too many 18 YO who can thrive in the AHL. Holmstrom just looked out of place in his D+1 and then the isles had him put on weight, but he put on too much weight in a short amount of time which has affected his skating. His development has been a mess for the most part, but he looks more confident this season and he’s playing with better forwards which helps.

TBL, PIT, and NYI all have terrible prospect pools, like I think 31 is fair but you can make an argument for all 3 being 31. The Bruins drafting Lysell definitely puts them ahead of all of NYI/TB/PIT. I think he’s a good bet to be a 1st line winger. I still can’t believe he fell as far as he did.

It’s always fun to go back and see what prospects Wheeler/Pronman were completely wrong about especially because I think both can be extremely arrogant at times lol.
Jan. 11, 2022 at 11:19 p.m.

Yeah, it probably comes from them being relied on to know so much about so many prospects, and being the main source of that information for so many people. Like I think in general that the Athletic's coverage of hockey is the main source for a lot of people, and if you want rankings/descriptions in one place, Wheeler/Pronman are the best place for that (the hockey writers do some stuff but I think the Athletic is generally better. Dobber I don't know if they summarize it all in one place, they just have individual bios and a list separate. Elite prospects probably has a bunch of stuff behind their paywall, but if I'm paying for one thing, it's the Athletic). Plus every writer at the Athletic goes to them for their thoughts on current prospects, especially the ones outside NA, as well as around draft time for guys that could be taken around where their team's pick is. I guess that could go to anyone's head lol

Also, I just realized, Vancouver is probably gonna be 30th lol. They have Klimovich, DiPietro, Rathbone, and Jurmo, and almost nobody else relevant. Crazy how shallow their prospect pool is for a non-playoff team this year with very little success in previous years (they dealt their last two firsts for Miller and OEL, and Podkolzin/Hoglander/Hughes are full time players).
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:08 p.m.
Yeah, it probably comes from them being relied on to know so much about so many prospects, and being the main source of that information for so many people. Like I think in general that the Athletic's coverage of hockey is the main source for a lot of people, and if you want rankings/descriptions in one place, Wheeler/Pronman are the best place for that (the hockey writers do some stuff but I think the Athletic is generally better. Dobber I don't know if they summarize it all in one place, they just have individual bios and a list separate. Elite prospects probably has a bunch of stuff behind their paywall, but if I'm paying for one thing, it's the Athletic). Plus every writer at the Athletic goes to them for their thoughts on current prospects, especially the ones outside NA, as well as around draft time for guys that could be taken around where their team's pick is. I guess that could go to anyone's head lol

Also, I just realized, Vancouver is probably gonna be 30th lol. They have Klimovich, DiPietro, Rathbone, and Jurmo, and almost nobody else relevant. Crazy how shallow their prospect pool is for a non-playoff team this year with very little success in previous years (they dealt their last two firsts for Miller and OEL, and Podkolzin/Hoglander/Hughes are full time players).

That’s fair, I just feel like they both take shots at certain teams/prospects and then get defensive when they are called out. Especially Wheeler.

Vancouver’s prospect pool is pretty bad, they could really use a forward like Dylan Guenther.
Alfie11 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:08 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
What are your thoughts on kody clark
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Yeah it's kinda funny, most teams struggle because they can never find a good goalie (for example, Calgary has been in the murky middle for most of the last decade because until we signed Markstrom, we had not had a good goalie since Kipper left) but Buffalo has pretty much always had a good goalie, with the exception of this year and the Eichel tank year. They basically jumped straight from Hasek to Miller (with a brief hiatus of being extraordinarily average with Biron), and then had Lehner, then Ullmark. They've just never been able to put a half decent team in front of the goalie lol

NYR are the best at this:
Richter - Lundqvist - Shesterkin (this spans 30+ years of quality goaltending)
ANA
Jean-Sebastien Giguere - Ilya Bryzgalov - some crab - Frederik Andersen - Gibson - Dostal? (has some star qualities)
VAN
Roberto Luongo - Cory Schneider - Jacob Markstrom - Thatcher Demko
Alfie11 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
NHL CS has released their midterm rankings and there are a couple of weird rankings https://www.nhl.com/news/shane-wright-tops-css-north-american-midterm-2022-nhl-draft-ranking/c-329677176 ( It's the article with the link to the NA S/G list and the EU S/G list )
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Jakub Galvas had an OUTSTANDING NHL debut tonight for the Hawks tonight. Was second (23:40) on the Hawks in ice time (behind Murphy, 23:45), led the team in 5v5 xGF% (76.53%) and 5v5 xGF (0.90). Also had far and away the highest 5v5 relative xGF% (+55.01).

FI3ldD4WYAUYcMP?format=jpg&name=medium

Very nice debut
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
NHL CS has released their midterm rankings and there are a couple of weird rankings https://www.nhl.com/news/shane-wright-tops-css-north-american-midterm-2022-nhl-draft-ranking/c-329677176 ( It's the article with the link to the NA S/G list and the EU S/G list )

Is it just me, or is central scouting usually terrible at rankings lol. Like just off of a brief glance, and admittedly I've only really scouted the first round, but Howard, Nazar, Ostlund, Chesley, Casey, and Nemec are way too low imo. Mintyukov, Gauthier, LDBB, Sapovaliv, Ingram, and Snuggerud are far too high.
A_Habs_fan and TZ11 liked this.
Jan. 12, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
Is it just me, or is central scouting usually terrible at rankings lol. Like just off of a brief glance, and admittedly I've only really scouted the first round, but Howard, Nazar, Ostlund, Chesley, Casey, and Nemec are way too low imo. Mintyukov, Gauthier, LDBB, Sapovaliv, Ingram, and Snuggerud are far too high.

Howard, Nazar, Ostlund, Chesley, Casey and Nemec are a bit low yes, Mintyukov, Gauthier, Snuggerud are too high yes, LDBB, Sapovaliv, Ingram I haven't done
Jan. 12, 2022 at 1:01 p.m.
Howard, Nazar, Ostlund, Chesley, Casey and Nemec are a bit low yes, Mintyukov, Gauthier, Snuggerud are too high yes, LDBB, Sapovaliv, Ingram I haven't done

I can't remember exactly, but aren't you at like 60 prospects evaluated now? I think that should tell you all you need to know about whether or not those guys are too high tbh. Also, there's an Elias Pettersson that is draft eligible lol
Jan. 12, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
I can't remember exactly, but aren't you at like 60 prospects evaluated now? I think that should tell you all you need to know about whether or not those guys are too high tbh. Also, there's an Elias Pettersson that is draft eligible lol

My list has 55 players ranked and many who I have limited info on yes, LDBB/Ingram are players who I didn't have enough to rank but they'd have to be pretty good to be that high yes I suppose.
Jan. 12, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.

McGroarty as well. I saw both Top 10's on Twitter and I was really confused with some placements.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 12, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: TZ11
McGroarty as well. I saw both Top 10's on Twitter and I was really confused with some placements.

Yeah, i chuckled a bit while reading it, NHL CS is always a bit weird, they had McTavish at 2 for NA skater last year i think, no one else had him that high
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 12, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
Yeah, i chuckled a bit while reading it, NHL CS is always a bit weird, they had McTavish at 2 for NA skater last year i think, no one else had him that high

At the time, I considered it far too high. But looking at it now, I kinda understand it. I do think that at least Beniers should've been higher and an argument can be made for Clarke, Guenther and Johnson, but McTavish has exceeded my expectations and I do see why they ranked him that high. A bit too high, but it's not as "bad" of a placement as I thought it was back then.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll