Forums/Armchair-GM

5v5 machine broke

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 8, 2021
Published: Dec. 8, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Please fire Tippett and his staff (save Gulutzan) for the love of god. Bring Woodcroft, Manson, and the rest of the Condors' staff up. Over $7M in dead cap; I'm confident that with a coach that knows what he's doing this team makes noise in the playoffs.

I think the Oilers are fully on-board with Skinner staying up in the NHL this year and are going to want to test-drive the Smith-Skinner tandem to see what they should be expecting for next season. This trade could happen as soon as Smith is healthy for all I care. Koskinen has played himself out of Edmonton but I think at a more appropriate AAV the Sabres would happily play him and allow their AHL netminders to return back to Rochester. The pick in return is a lot higher than one should expect for Eakin without retention (late fourth to mid-fifth range?) and the addition of a C-prospect to that surplus value should be enough to account for Koskinen going to Buffalo. I think Mikko waives his NTC so long as the Sabres *want* him. I reckon a team actually wanting him is going to prove far more important than cup odds or tax rates.

I think the Habs deal is a clever way for the Oilers to get out of one of Holland's earliest mistakes while improving their roster and satisfying the absurd price that Chiarot has attached to his name right now.

Only truly iffy about the value in the Flyers' deal. I've seen picks in the realm of a 3rd and 6th going for Braun and Brassard respectively: I would value Benson at an early 4th and Koekkoek at a late 5th. Benson probably locks down the #4LW spot in Philly for like the next 3-4 years (Ratcliffe being his only real competition and Benson has the AHL numbers to win out the spot) and wouldn't be the worst name having to elevate to the #3LW spot in a pinch. Koekkoek occupies the #6/7D role for probably the remainder of his deal: I suspect the Flyers - if they purge at this deadline - are only finishing the year with some combination of Provorov, Ellis, Sanheim, Morin, York, and Zamula. Maybe Clendening comes up to end the year and the kids stay in Lehigh for the Calder playoffs? I have the Oilers tossing in a 4th that's a couple years out to balance the deal as getting bottom of the roster pieces for a pair of rentals really isn't enough. Given the volume of mid-round picks they'll likely be raking in this deadline, I don't think the "when" of the pick in question should be of much importance. What's really important about this trade is twofold: Edmonton gains quality depth and a potential competitor doesn't.

I think flipping Barrie and Yamamoto between the draft and July 1st helps recoup some picks. This team has all of the high-end pieces it needs for a while so a steady stream of replaceable parts is all that's really required.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
2$925,000
3$925,000
2$925,000
1$925,000
3$925,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Koskinen, Mikko ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. Siikanen, Patrik [Reserve List]
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Chiarot, Ben ($1,750,000 retained)
  2. Toffoli, Tyler
MTL
  1. Kassian, Zack ($750,000 retained)
  2. Lagesson, William
  3. Lavoie, Raphael
  4. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
  5. 2023 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Brassard, Derick
  2. Braun, Justin ($900,000 retained)
PHI
  1. Benson, Tyler
  2. Koekkoek, Slater
  3. 2024 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,059,468$669,339$907,500$4,440,532

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$412,500$412,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$0$0
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 8, 2021 at 7:37 p.m.
Hockey247
drop lavoie and add a better prospect.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Would you even need to retain on Koskinen if Eakin is coming back.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Hockey247

No, not at least until you can convince me otherwise. Assume for the sake of argument Edmonton finishes with the 24th overall pick (their current position via points percentage).

I've been adamant that even when fully retained, Chiarot isn't worth a first round pick but rather in the realm of a second round pick and a prospect like Lavoie. Habs fans are overvaluing him based on what most other hockey fans consider an inappropriate comparison to Savard. Given that we expect the Oilers to acquire Chiarot in this case, I would thus be valuing Chiarot to the #56 pick and Lavoie.

Kassian with the retention of a league-minimum deal, the 2023 first, and Lagesson falls short of fair value for Toffoli even if the Habs are looking a proper rebuild dead in the eyes. I don't think anyone would argue this

Using historical draft pick values (https://bluebulletreport.com/2020/10/05/2020-nhl-draft-rankings/), the difference in pick values between Edmonton's first round pick and second round pick this year is a bit less than the #30 pick. I think that such a gap in pick values more than makes up for the deficit in how I've broken down the deal. If we concede that hockey fans outside of the Montreal Canadiens fan base are correct in evaluating Chiarot in the 2nd rounder+Lavoie range AND that there's a value deficit in the above Toffoli breakdown, then bumping the value of the pick being exchanged for Chiarot covers the value missing in the Toffoli breakdown.

At its crux it's a remarkably fair deal to the point where Montreal is even on the hook for less cash than the Oilers are.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 7:56 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Would you even need to retain on Koskinen if Eakin is coming back.

I proposed an Eakin trade earlier in the week that was met with some resistance (Eakin @ 50% retained for Koekkoek, Turris, and the 2023 4th) so I'd rather remove as much room for a counterargument from any naysayers by removing as much value coming from Buffalo's end as possible.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
torontos finest
Minor thing but retaining on Kassian may not be ideal. 750k for three years isn't much but that's not having a league minimum roster player on your team.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 8:15 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: mondo
Minor thing but retaining on Kassian may not be ideal. 750k for three years isn't much but that's not having a league minimum roster player on your team.

The intention of that retention - as Kassian currently cannot justify his AAV - was that the Habs take his poor deal but essentially get the cost of one of their league-min players covered in the process.

Given how the dead cap sheds from the Oilers over the next couple of seasons, these rumoured cap increases, and the influx of some ELC deals over the next 2-3 years, the Oilers should be fine over that span. Maybe they end up running a 22-man roster next year but it's very much a short-term issue at best.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Hockey247
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
No, not at least until you can convince me otherwise. Assume for the sake of argument Edmonton finishes with the 24th overall pick (their current position via points percentage).

I've been adamant that even when fully retained, Chiarot isn't worth a first round pick but rather in the realm of a second round pick and a prospect like Lavoie. Habs fans are overvaluing him based on what most other hockey fans consider an inappropriate comparison to Savard. Given that we expect the Oilers to acquire Chiarot in this case, I would thus be valuing Chiarot to the #56 pick and Lavoie.

Kassian with the retention of a league-minimum deal, the 2023 first, and Lagesson falls short of fair value for Toffoli even if the Habs are looking a proper rebuild dead in the eyes. I don't think anyone would argue this

Using historical draft pick values (https://bluebulletreport.com/2020/10/05/2020-nhl-draft-rankings/), the difference in pick values between Edmonton's first round pick and second round pick this year is a bit less than the #30 pick. I think that such a gap in pick values more than makes up for the deficit in how I've broken down the deal. If we concede that hockey fans outside of the Montreal Canadiens fan base are correct in evaluating Chiarot in the 2nd rounder+Lavoie range AND that there's a value deficit in the above Toffoli breakdown, then bumping the value of the pick being exchanged for Chiarot covers the value missing in the Toffoli breakdown.

At its crux it's a remarkably fair deal to the point where Montreal is even on the hook for less cash than the Oilers are.

i dont gotta convince you lmao. we can easily fetch a 1st for chiarot from another team. and if we move toffoli, thats another 1st and high end prospect. so no to this trade.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
i dont gotta convince you lmao. we can easily fetch a 1st for chiarot from another team. and if we move toffoli, thats another 1st and high end prospect. so no to this trade.

Edmonton's the only team in the league that has both a want for a Chiarot-esque defenceman and lacks the player evaluation skills to pay that kind of a gaudy price. If other, better defenders like De Haan, Giordano, or Lindholm are going to be available, why are other teams paying a premium for Chiarot? De Haan and Giordano will be cheaper. Lindholm's simply better.

Move past the bias. Lavoie and a second round pick is right on the money for Chiarot. Other Habs fans find this deal amicable, fans of other teams think such a proposal for Chiarot (or Toffoli given your response) are laughable. Finding that middle ground will genuinely improve your experience here.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Hockey247
Edmonton's the only team in the league that has both a want for a Chiarot-esque defenceman and lacks the player evaluation skills to pay that kind of a gaudy price. If other, better defenders like De Haan, Giordano, or Lindholm are going to be available, why are other teams paying a premium for Chiarot? De Haan and Giordano will be cheaper. Lindholm's simply better.

Move past the bias. Lavoie and a second round pick is right on the money for Chiarot. Other Habs fans find this deal amicable, fans of other teams think such a proposal for Chiarot (or Toffoli given your response) are laughable. Finding that middle ground will genuinely improve your experience here.

wrong on all accounts. the biggest attraction to chiarot is his experience in size. but sure if the oilers don't want him, don't trade for him lmao. he'll command a first bud. bookmark it.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 10:00 p.m.
Ban Price trades
wrong on all accounts. the biggest attraction to chiarot is his experience in size. but sure if the oilers don't want him, don't trade for him lmao. he'll command a first bud. bookmark it.

A donation to an Edmonton-based charity if I'm right, and I'll donate to a Montreal-based one (if I'm assuming correctly) if I'm wrong. You game?
Dec. 8, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
Hockey247
A donation to an Edmonton-based charity if I'm right, and I'll donate to a Montreal-based one (if I'm assuming correctly) if I'm wrong. You game?

no. why tf wiuld i donate to a charity when i can pocket the money LMAO.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 10:26 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
The deal is absolutely fair. My willingness to trade Toffoli may not be there, but if that’s the road the team is going down this would definitely be a good way to do it. I also don’t think there’s any appetite to bring Kassian back in the organization, but if he needs to be included to get the deal done he can always be buried in the ECHL or bought out in the off-season (although that comes with an extra bit of a price tag).
Dec. 8, 2021 at 10:36 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I also don’t think there’s any appetite to bring Kassian back in the organization

This is something our good friend @SevenLeg brought up in a previous AGM I had with this deal in it and I don't know if I can fully get behind the idea that Kassian wouldn't be welcome in Montrealat least from a hockey ops perspective. The memory of fanbases is certainly longer but we're talking about an incident seven years ago nearly to the day that may as well have been committed by an entirely different human being.

I think that kind of attitude - while not actually problematic or anything - discredits how much work Kassian has put into himself to get sober and stay that way.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 12:26 a.m.

Lavoie is definitely fair value for Chiarot, as an early second rounder, but I think Lagesson is really where this trade would fall short. Need something with a little more potential than a fourth rounder who doesn't really have impressive numbers at any level
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:24 a.m.
Well done, this would be a fun playoff team to watch.
BeterChiarelli and GMTD liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:28 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Would you even need to retain on Koskinen if Eakin is coming back. As a Sabre fan I agree.
I proposed an Eakin trade earlier in the week that was met with some resistance (Eakin @ 50% retained for Koekkoek, Turris, and the 2023 4th) so I'd rather remove as much room for a counterargument from any naysayers by removing as much value coming from Buffalo's end as possible. That was most likely from me. Koekkoek, Turris, would not add any value to Buffalo on the other hand Koskinen would be Buffalo's top GK right now. If I were the Sabre GM, I would take all of Koskinen's salary, retain on Eakin and leave the balance of the trade the same.
Buffalo has sufficient cap space to take on salary and could use an NHL GK.
If I were the Buffalo GM, I would make this trade.
BeterChiarelli and GMTD liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
Hockey247
Quoting: Scanz
Lavoie is definitely fair value for Chiarot, as an early second rounder, but I think Lagesson is really where this trade would fall short. Need something with a little more potential than a fourth rounder who doesn't really have impressive numbers at any level

lavoie is barely a pro ahl player. it'll be a waste of a trade for the habs to try and acquire a guy who can barely score in the ahl. we need someone who has a high chance of being an nhler.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll