SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread #13

Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:42 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Devil
Exactly what I was thinking
Send him back to the Liiga

Shame for Kakko, but I don't see that happening, because unlike Pulju, Kakko is a force in the bottom-6. He can offer something else on the table with his solid defensive play. Pulju didn't have that edge.

Maybe a stint in Liiga would do him good but I don't see that happening. But considering his stats he'd be an interesting name towards any offer sheets. NYR can't be matching any huge offers here, and there could be lots of potential in offer sheeting team here. Similar to Kotkaniemi.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:43 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Db1899
I disagree. Robertson is at worst equal to Kaprizov and there’s an argument he’s better.

I'll take it.

One thing that we gotta remember though is that Robertson gets to play with great linemates too. Kaprizov carries the likes of Hartman and Zuccarello to levels they've never been in before.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:44 p.m.
Farewell
I think Jason Robertson has a strong case to get paid more than Svechnikov on his next contract. He has the edge in almost every offensive and defensive metric and he’s better on the PP

Quoting: MatthewsFan
If Jason Robertson was in a Canadian market, he’d get soooooooooo much more love

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski is a Top 10 line in the league. All 3 of them are underrated, and they're the only reason the Stars aren't dead in the water this year-even in the games where they lose, that line consistently puts up solid numbers
MatthewsFan and Db1899 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:44 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Nick Suzuki W
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: SevenLeg
He still has a long way to go to catch Lehkonen though. Maybe he does it at some point, but have you heard how Elliotte Friedman said Lehkonen is worth a Top Prospect + a 1st.

tears of joy oh god
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:46 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski is a Top 10 line in the league. All 3 of them are underrated, and they're the only reason the Stars aren't dead in the water this year-even in the games where they lose, that line consistently puts up solid numbers

Top 10?

I'd argue they're Top 3.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
I'll take it.

One thing that we gotta remember though is that Robertson gets to play with great linemates too. Kaprizov carries the likes of Hartman and Zuccarello to levels they've never been in before.

Yeah that’s why I’m confident that Robertson is equal to Kaprizov, but it’s debatable if he’s clearly better. Robertson is definitely the driver of his line - Pavelski and Hintz are great players, but they don’t have close to the same impact without Robertson.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:49 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Shame for Kakko, but I don't see that happening, because unlike Pulju, Kakko is a force in the bottom-6. He can offer something else on the table with his solid defensive play. Pulju didn't have that edge.

Maybe a stint in Liiga would do him good but I don't see that happening. But considering his stats he'd be an interesting name towards any offer sheets. NYR can't be matching any huge offers here, and there could be lots of potential in offer sheeting team here. Similar to Kotkaniemi.

He might turn out to be a slightly better version of Artturi Lekhkonen/ Valeri Nichushkin

Offersheet could be very possible. I hope it happens. Rangers have just under 9M in cap space. If someone OS for 4M (2nd round pick), Rangers would have to chose between him and Strome
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:52 p.m.
What in tarnation
Yeah that’s why I’m confident that Robertson is equal to Kaprizov, but it’s debatable if he’s clearly better. Robertson is definitely the driver of his line - Pavelski and Hintz are great players, but they don’t have close to the same impact without Robertson.

Robertson is such a joy to watch. That has been the case since he was drafted. Especially the 2018-19 season, when he scored 48 goals and 117 points in 62 games in OHL he started to look like one of the biggest steals of his draft class.
Db1899 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
What in tarnation
He might turn out to be a slightly better version of Artturi Lekhkonen/ Valeri Nichushkin

Offersheet could be very possible. I hope it happens. Rangers have just under 9M in cap space. If someone OS for 4M (2nd round pick), Rangers would have to chose between him and Strome

I think he's already in their level, but what goes his way is the fact that he's still only turning 21 next year. But I digress.

Here's to hoping he turns out as the elite player he was supposed to become. He was looking such a clutch player prior the 2019 NHL season, dominating in Liiga and winning both juniors and adults World Championships too.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
Farewell
Edited Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.. Reason: Forgot CAR
Top 10?

I'd argue they're Top 3.

Top 10 current lines in the league (when fully healthy), IMO:

1) Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen (COL)
2) Pacioretty-Eichel-Stone (VGK)
3) Palat-Point-Kucherov (TBL)
4) Huberdeau-Barkov-Duclair (FLA)
5) Bunting-Marner-Matthews (TOR)
6) Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen (CAR)
7) Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson/Oshie (WAS)
8) Guentzel-Crosby-Rust (PIT)
9) Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski (DAL)
10) Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk (CGY)
Honorable Mentions: Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander (TOR), Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos (TBL), Marchand-Bergeron-Smith (BOS)

NOTE: The Bruins have recently split up the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line and now have Smith on the 1st line RW, with Pasta on the 2nd line with Hall and Coyle.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
Robertson is such a joy to watch. That has been the case since he was drafted. Especially the 2018-19 season, when he scored 48 goals and 117 points in 62 games in OHL he started to look like one of the biggest steals of his draft class.

Robertson-Hintz-Stankoven is going to be a great line in a few years, hopefully Dallas figures out the other 3 lines haha
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
What in tarnation

1) Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
2) Pacioretty-Eichel-Stone
3 Palat-Point-Kucherov
4) Huberdeau-Barkov-Duclair
5) Bunting-Marner-Matthews
6) Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson/Oshie
7) Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
8) Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
9) Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
10) Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander OR Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos OR Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

NOTE: The Bruins have recently split up the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line and now have Smith on the 1st line RW, with Pasta on then 2nd line with Hall and Coyle.

Honestly I'd raise the ones in 7th, 8th and 9th position to 1st, 2nd and 3rd because not a single line in the top three has been healthy for the year. MacKinnon seems to be constantly injured now unfortunately, Eichel hasn't played a single game in a year now so we don't know how that line would look on ice until he's healthy (even if it sounds promising), and both Point and Kucherov have had their share of injuries this year, too.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:03 p.m.
Farewell
Honestly I'd raise the ones in 7th, 8th and 9th position to 1st, 2nd and 3rd because not a single line in the top three has been healthy for the year. MacKinnon seems to be constantly injured now unfortunately, Eichel hasn't played a single game in a year now so we don't know how that line would look on ice until he's healthy (even if it sounds promising), and both Point and Kucherov have had their share of injuries this year, too.

Hence the note "when fully healthy" smile (A lot of those lines have been marred by injuries-Guentzel, Crosby and Rust have all missed time as well, Barkov missed almost a month, and the Capitals are the only team in the league to not have a single player play every game so far)
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
What in tarnation
Robertson-Hintz-Stankoven is going to be a great line in a few years, hopefully Dallas figures out the other 3 lines haha

That is the great question indeed, which player should be the one to replace Pavelski once he's gone. I dunno if Stankoven fits the bill, he's a bit small, isn't he. Sure Pavelski is not the biggest guy either but the guy has fantastic net front presence and he fits his weaknesses like his size and speed with lots of experience he has. He has a great vision and major hockey intelligence in his game.

Maybe Johnston? I'm not entirely familiar with the guy but he's looking GOOD.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:12 p.m.
That is the great question indeed, which player should be the one to replace Pavelski once he's gone. I dunno if Stankoven fits the bill, he's a bit small, isn't he. Sure Pavelski is not the biggest guy either but the guy has fantastic net front presence and he fits his weaknesses like his size and speed with lots of experience he has. He has a great vision and major hockey intelligence in his game.

Maybe Johnston? I'm not entirely familiar with the guy but he's looking GOOD.

Stankoven is small, but he’s a gritty two way forward with an elite shot. I think he’d be a good fit and with the way he’s producing right now he should be NHL ready by next season. I think he’s the best option from the stars prospect pool to replace pavelski. He’s going to be Marchessault 2.0 IMO.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
I make typos

Honorable Mentions: Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander (TOR), Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos (TBL), Marchand-Bergeron-Smith (BOS)

NOTE: The Bruins have recently split up the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak line and now have Smith on the 1st line RW, with Pasta on the 2nd line with Hall and Coyle.

Kane-McDavid-JP?
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:15 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: oilersguy
Kane-McDavid-JP?

No chance. McDavid is the best player on the planet, but after that the other two would be 3rd liners (MAYBE Puljujarvi would be a 2nd liner) on most other teams. If McDavid and Draisaitl were on the same line, it would be a Top 5 line in the league no matter who occupied the third spot (not that I think that that's a good idea).
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:17 p.m.
I make typos
No chance. McDavid is the best player on the planet, but after that the other two would be 3rd liners (MAYBE Puljujarvi would be a 2nd liner) on most other teams. If McDavid and Draisaitl were on the same line, it would be a Top 5 line in the league no matter who occupied the third spot (not that I think that that's a good idea).

umm Kane and JP are both very capable top 6 wingers
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:28 p.m.

IDK, does the second deserve to be 2nd as we havent even seen Eichel play with those two yet.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:21 p.m.

Nick Suzuki W

i genuinely know nothing about football
but i trust the nick suzuki (im sure you can guess why) so im agreeing here
capsfan2121 and Devil liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I think I just heard gun shots
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:28 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle
Does the second even count as we havent even seen Eichel play with those two yet. Heck we dont even know if that will be the final result as we could see Pach go to line 2 like Deboer did last playoffs and bring Smith up or something.

Could be, but I assume they'll keep Pacioretty and Stone on the wings and slot Eichel into Stephenson's spot
capsfan2121 and aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

I think they stoped. Also you forgot about protas
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:35 p.m.
WentWughes
We need to remember that the guy is, despite his low ice time, a first overall pick, from just 1,5 years ago.

That would be such a major steal from Habs like none other. Like, we're talking about Kreider+Nemeth+Blais+maybe a 2nd to compensate the difference between Chiarot and Nemeth for Caufield+Guhle.

That's completely fair and it's way to early to write him off, but the only thing he has going for him right now is that he's the former 1st overall pick. He's just barely .33 PPG and is being given 4th line TOI. If the Rangers want to win right now, it would be worth trading him while he still has value because it's clear he doesn't have a spot in the top 6 (where he should be)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll