Forums/Armchair-GM

LEAFS TRADE DEADLINE OPTIONS 2021-22

Created by: mrichards15
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2022
Published: Feb. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trade deadline options if the Leafs wanted to go after a RD to play with Muzzin or Sandin
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
29$81,500,000$103,258,116$0$400,000-$21,758,116
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
I like the option of getting Mayfield. Add him to our group. Either add him and not lose any of our current D. Or give dermott as part of the package and get Chara back as well for depth.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
Too expensive, not good enough
bottom pairing guy, meh
bottom pairing guy, meh
too expensive, doesnt fill a need
i guess if he's decently priced
if he's dirt cheap, why not
lol, hell no
lol lol lol hell no
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN
I like the option of getting Mayfield. Add him to our group. Either add him and not lose any of our current D. Or give dermott as part of the package and get Chara back as well for depth.

You should really watch anything chara has done the past 2 years. he is very very very bad now
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Ristolainen?!?!?
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Of what you selected there, the only defenders that I think the Leafs could possibly acquire (ie the Leafs and Habs are not dealing) that would provide them with a legitimate upgrade to their top-4 would be either John Klingberg, Josh Manson or maybe Scott Mayfield. I am much more hesitant at the prospect of the Leafs adding Manson or Mayfield because both are not very quick, and the Leafs play a hella quick transition and puck-moving game. It's one of the reasons Holl and, at times, Muzzin, has looked so out of place this season. The ideal fit would be Klingberg I think, or better yet, Chycrun, though both will cost large. Two defenders you don't have on your list are Travis Sanheim (PHI) and Connor Murphy (CHI). I think both of these players would be upgrades over something like Manson or Mayfield, I just am not sure what the cost would be to obtain such players with term.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: MG1986
Of what you selected there, the only defenders that I think the Leafs could possibly acquire (ie the Leafs and Habs are not dealing) that would provide them with a legitimate upgrade to their top-4 would be either John Klingberg, Josh Manson or maybe Scott Mayfield. I am much more hesitant at the prospect of the Leafs adding Manson or Mayfield because both are not very quick, and the Leafs play a hella quick transition and puck-moving game. It's one of the reasons Holl and, at times, Muzzin, has looked so out of place this season. The ideal fit would be Klingberg I think, or better yet, Chycrun, though both will cost large. Two defenders you don't have on your list are Travis Sanheim (PHI) and Connor Murphy (CHI). I think both of these players would be upgrades over something like Manson or Mayfield, I just am not sure what the cost would be to obtain such players with term.

Habs and the Leafs have and would trade. Remember a few years ago they trade Plekanecs to the Leafs at the TDL. Chiarot to the Leafs is a legit possibility.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:37 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
You should really watch anything chara has done the past 2 years. he is very very very bad now

If he is our 8th D, i think we are doing just fine. Depth, size, experience. Would be amazing for the locker room. He doesn't go in unless we get an injury or 2. Having Chara in the locker room would be worth the minimal cost in my mind.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Lenny7
-Manson has the Leafs on his NTC
-Schenn is meh, but cheap!
-De Haan would be a decent, affordable buffer.
-Klingberg is going to cost a boatload...is a bigger Tyson Barrie who's underporming really what you want to overpay for?
-Mayfield won't be cheap, and there's talk that Lou wants to roll with the majority of his roster in tact next year because he thinks they're better than their start was.
-Braun wouldn't be a bad depth add.
-Risto...RISTO?!?!
-Chiarot is apparently a guy that you'll have to overpay for even though he wouldn't play top 4 on this team.

As a non-Leafs fan, I don't see the point in going for some of the higher priced guys here...many would cost a 1st(plus) to acquire, and don't raise the ceiling high enough to guarantee a trip out of the first round, especially considering it's lining up to be against either Florida or Tampa. Is there a shot? Sure. Should you sell the farm for it? Meh.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Habs and the Leafs have and would trade. Remember a few years ago they trade Plekanecs to the Leafs at the TDL. Chiarot to the Leafs is a legit possibility.

I mean it happens. I am pretty sure there was a moment when Mats Sundin ever so briefly became a Hab. I just don't think the Habs and Leafs line up here, and honestly would give you much the same answer if you were proposing a Florida-Montreal for Ben Chariot. A divisional team would have to blow the Habs away with an offer.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
If he is our 8th D, i think we are doing just fine. Depth, size, experience. Would be amazing for the locker room. He doesn't go in unless we get an injury or 2. Having Chara in the locker room would be worth the minimal cost in my mind.

he has done zero to help any team he's been on in a few years, if he was so good in the locker room then why did the capitals not get better with him? why did the islanders suddenly become not even a wild card team with him?
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: Lenny7
-Manson has the Leafs on his NTC
-Schenn is meh, but cheap!
-De Haan would be a decent, affordable buffer.
-Klingberg is going to cost a boatload...is a bigger Tyson Barrie who's underporming really what you want to overpay for?
-Mayfield won't be cheap, and there's talk that Lou wants to roll with the majority of his roster in tact next year because he thinks they're better than their start was.
-Braun wouldn't be a bad depth add.
-Risto...RISTO?!?!
-Chiarot is apparently a guy that you'll have to overpay for even though he wouldn't play top 4 on this team.

As a non-Leafs fan, I don't see the point in going for some of the higher priced guys here...many would cost a 1st(plus) to acquire, and don't raise the ceiling high enough to guarantee a trip out of the first round, especially considering it's lining up to be against either Florida or Tampa. Is there a shot? Sure. Should you sell the farm for it? Meh.

Haha Leafs, as well as all other Canadian teams, are on every player's NTC. Didn't you know that?
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
Lenny7

Murphy signed an extension before the season started. Can't see Chicago moving him without a major overpay. Re: Sanheim-Is adding another LD really something that's a great idea? Seems like a RD would be the correct add (if at all).
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
Richie

The reason Sanheim and Connor Murphy weren't including is because of their cap hit. I tried to include only players with expiring deals where a team can eat at least 50% of salary or guys signed to multi-year deals with low cap hits
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
Lenny7
Haha Leafs, as well as all other Canadian teams, are on every player's NTC. Didn't you know that?

I don't think that's 100% true, but it's an important detail that we sometimes just skip over.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

So based on that Manson, De Haan, Ristolinen, Chairot, Klingberg, and Braun are most off the table (for now)

Mayfield and Schenn got term so they would be in the conversation along with guys like Roy, Walker, Whitecloud, Severson, Jokiharju, etc.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: mrichards15
The reason Sanheim and Connor Murphy weren't including is because of their cap hit. I tried to include only players with expiring deals where a team can eat at least 50% of salary or guys signed to multi-year deals with low cap hits

Gotcha, though I think if the package was worth it, both teams would eat salary beyond just this season, especially in Philly, where apparently the mandate is a quick-turnaround, as opposed to the Blackhawks, who seem to be all over the place. I would include those players in your list as well because Dubas is a guy known to target players that either have term left on their deal or are set to become RFAs and thus the Leafs can retain their rights beyond just this season. I'd have to imagine something like Holl, Amirov and a 1st would be more than sufficient with the Flyers retaining money.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: aadoyle

So based on that Manson, De Haan, Ristolinen, Chairot, Klingberg, and Braun are most off the table (for now)

Mayfield and Schenn got term so they would be in the conversation along with guys like Roy, Walker, Whitecloud, Severson, Jokiharju, etc.

I'd love me some Zach Whitecloud, but he's not yet a consistent 20 minute per night guy, though I think he will definitely get there. Severson is a no-go for me. Has way too many defensive lapses in his own zone. Leafs already do plenty of that thank you very much.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
we miss leo k

To be fair, I can't think of any GM who *wouldn't* typically prefer a trade return with some term vs. a rental. Doesn't mean Dubas wouldn't take a swing at a rental if the price is right.
ChiHawk liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
To be fair, I can't think of any GM who *wouldn't* typically prefer a trade return with some term vs. a rental. Doesn't mean Dubas wouldn't take a swing at a rental if the price is right.

Dubas is not a fan of rentals, the only reason he said they were targeting then traded for rentals back in 2021 was because of Seattle.

If you look at previous deadline trades before the expansion year, Dubas always went with players who had term

2019 = Muzzin (1.5 years)
2020 = Campbell (2.5 years)

So based on what we have seen hes gonna go for a guy with term. As with no more expansion teams coming for a while why spend assets on a rental
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:21 p.m.
Trad Breliving
A lot of people are so quick to say we NEED a shutdown guy.

They aren’t necessarily wrong, but not 100% right either.

The Leafs play style is supposed to be a fast pace, puck possession, puck moving team. Guys like Mayfield and Manson won’t hold up. Klingberg wouldn’t be a bad fit, but can’t defend well enough.

We need someone is who isn’t turtle slow, who can defend, but also move the puck.
It’s not typically easy to find lol, but we have to understand that a big tough guy isn’t going to help this team in the way he would a team with a defence-first system.

Severson is a fairly good example, and a lot of people are very judgy based on his 2-game stint against the Leafs. when even our own guys have been on the wrong side of a highlight goal multiple times (Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin) hell, even Hedman, Fox and Makar have been on the wrong side of a highlight reel goal.

I don’t have the ability to look into advanced analytics and analytics cards as well as some others do, so I could be wrong, but I do still think Severson is a good fit. He’s not on the top of my list anymore (I’m not sure who even is) but he is still on my list.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Trad Breliving
Dubas is not a fan of rentals, the only reason he said they were targeting then traded for rentals was because of Seattle.

If you look at previous deadline trades before the expansion year, Dubas always went with players who had term

So based on what we have seen hes gonna go for a guy with term.

Trend seems to be LA, too.
lol
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart
Trend seems to be LA, too.
lol

LA did make good partners thats for sure

Muzzin has been a win win for both sides and Campbell trade was a steal for us lul. Maybe we see a Roy trade or something
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
Richie
Dubas is not a fan of rentals, the only reason he said they were targeting then traded for rentals was because of Seattle.

So based on what we have seen hes gonna go for a guy with term.

He also got Folingo, Rittich and Hutton as rentals last year. I think if we didn't live in a flat cap world then Dubas would only be looking for guys with term but with the cap only going up by $1 mill the only way the Leafs can bring on someone with term is if they make under $2 mill OR they trade a 3-4 pieces away this summer with no salary back
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mrichards15
He also got Folingo, Rittich and Hutton as rentals last year. I think if we didn't live in a flat cap world then Dubas would only be looking for guys with term but with the cap only going up by $1 mill the only way the Leafs can bring on someone with term is if they make under $2 mill OR they trade a 3-4 pieces away this summer with no salary back

You didnt read what I said. Dubas chose rentals because of Seattle. Not because he wanted to. Many teams in general traded for rentals at the 2021 deadline due to pesky Seattle lurking around.

As why trade for someone/s you were at risk of losing at the expansion draft that would have been a bad move.
Feb. 7, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
Richie
Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart
A lot of people are so quick to say we NEED a shutdown guy.

They aren’t necessarily wrong, but not 100% right either.

The Leafs play style is supposed to be a fast pace, puck possession, puck moving team. Guys like Mayfield and Manson won’t hold up. Klingberg wouldn’t be a bad fit, but can’t defend well enough.

We need someone is who isn’t turtle slow, who can defend, but also move the puck.
It’s not typically easy to find lol, but we have to understand that a big tough guy isn’t going to help this team in the way he would a team with a defence-first system.

Severson is a fairly good example, and a lot of people are very judgy based on his 2-game stint against the Leafs. when even our own guys have been on the wrong side of a highlight goal multiple times (Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin) hell, even Hedman, Fox and Makar have been on the wrong side of a highlight reel goal.

I don’t have the ability to look into advanced analytics and analytics cards as well as some others do, so I could be wrong, but I do still think Severson is a good fit. He’s not on the top of my list anymore (I’m not sure who even is) but he is still on my list.

That's fair, I guess I fell into that pool of people that don't want him because of that two game stint. That GWG with Kerfoot and Mikeyhev might have been the worst played 2 on 1 I've ever seen lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll