Forums/Armchair-GM

Yotes Blockbuster

Created by: bruinsdude77
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2022
Published: Feb. 22, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Bruins biggest need long-term is a top-pair LHD and their biggest need short-term is a RW for the top line that allows Pastrnak to stay with Hall and Smith to stay with Coyle. The only real option for one-stop shopping is Arizona, who is looking to sell Chychrun and Kessell, a dynamic young LHD who is just having a down year on a terrible team and a veteran star RW who has familiarity with the Bruins. The price to get both (plus some bottom-six depth in Larsson) would be exorbitant, but not impossible.

More than anything, the Yotes want draft picks. Recent trades have shown that. In this deal they get one locked-in first rounder, likely two firsts and a second, and potentially three firsts. Meanwhile, the Bruins have some security if everything falls apart. They are locked into a playoff spot this year, but if for some reason they miss next year and/or the year before, they retain the first-rounders they would need to start the rebuild. They also keep their two top prospects in Lysell and Lohrei, both of whom could push for NHL action as early as next year. That's not to say they don't lose other good piece though, as Steen has shown he can be an NHL regular this season and Olson is a leading scorer for one of the best teams in college hockey.

Arizona has said that they are happy to continue taking on salary, but only for the right caliber of player and not just the Andrew Ladd cap dumps of the world. DeBrusk and Moore fit the bill. DeBrusk is young and had shown potential, but the QO offer he is owed is well beyond what he is worth right now, except maybe to a team like the Yotes with cap room and top-six ice time to spare. Moore has never been as bad as his usage in Boston makes it seem. He's obviously overpaid, but is a roster player nonetheless in Arizona. The team also nabs Clifton, who is NHL starter material for some teams but in my opinion is starting to wear out his welcome in Boston and would play behind lefties Vaakanainen and Zboril at RD3 next season if not moved.

Yes, the Bruins possibly give up three first-round picks, but only if they win a Stanley Cup. That's a trade-off worth taking. Chychrun and Kessel make the Bs a legitimate contender this season and a Chycrun-McAvoy pairing could be elite for a long time, making the post-Bergeron era transition easier once it arrives. Even if you don't win a Cup but make the playoffs all three years, would giving up two firsts and a second for Chychrun long-term, a top-flight rental in Kessel, and moving Moore's contract really be an overpay? I don't think so.

This also works cap wise. The B's can add $6.7MM in full-year salary at the deadline and the offsetting salaries in this deal adds just $5.8. Which means the B's also have just enough cap space and roster spot to make up for the depth losses on D of Clifton and Moore by adding Pysyk.

Coyotes 2022-23 Lineup (w/o any UFA or trade additions)

DeBrusk-Schmaltz-Keller
Crouse-Hayton-Guenther
Ladd-Boyd-Steen
Ritchie-Fischer-Carcone
Jenik

Gostisbehere-Timmins
Moser-Clifton
Moore-Mayo
Capobianco/Soderstrom

Vejmelka
Prosvetov

Is it great? No. Is it better than this year? Clearly. With a couple off-season additions they could have the semblance of an actual team given the influx of depth and youth from Boston.
Trades
ARI
  1. Clifton, Connor
  2. DeBrusk, Jake
  3. Moore, John
  4. Olson, Quinn [Reserve List]
  5. Steen, Oskar
  6. 2022 1st round pick (BOS)
  7. 2023 2nd round pick (BOS)
  8. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Conditions:
2023 pick becomes 1st round if Bruins make playoffs in 2023
2024 pick becomes 2nd round if Bruins make playoffs in 2024 and 1st round if Bruins win Stanley Cup in 2022, 2023, or 2024
BUF
  1. Senyshyn, Zach
  2. 2022 5th round pick (BOS)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$85,954,841$1,956,507$625,000-$4,454,841

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Sabresguy1897
That has to be the most average group of players ive ever seen. I love trades like this where boston doesnt have to give up any actual good pieces for arizonas best players
mk458, Borocop and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
No longer a Virgin
Zona doesn't even consider that. Lot's of quantity, no quality. Throw in Lysell and another late first and they might consider.

Moore has Negative Value, DeBrusk has almost no value, Steen doesn't carry much weight and neither does Clifton. So Chych, Kessel, and Larsson for Olson and a few late picks? Cmon now
mk458 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
No longer a Virgin
Arizona counters with Kyle Capobianco and Mitchell Millers rights for MaCavoy and Beecher
mk458 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
Temple of Ferraro
Peak Bruins AGM
Ross_Johnston liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:36 p.m.
MK458
Unfortunately there's a lot of teams that would offer higher quality players/prospects than you've got here. I don't think Boston can get Chychrun without Lysell
Fergy22 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Quoting: stephane_robidas
Zona doesn't even consider that. Lot's of quantity, no quality. Throw in Lysell and another late first and they might consider.

Moore has Negative Value, DeBrusk has almost no value, Steen doesn't carry much weight and neither does Clifton. So Chych, Kessel, and Larsson for Olson and a few late picks? Cmon now

This is Arizona we're talking about. DeBrusk becomes one of their best forward and the same goes for Clifton on D. If you think Steen doesn't carry much weight, that means you haven't seen him play this season.

And your solution is to add another first-round pick and a first-round prospect? If you read the conditions, that 1/2/3 is extremely likely to become 1/1/2 and possibly 1/1/1, so pretty much what your asking for. This deal is all about giving the Yotes picks and supplementing a roster filled with impending UFAs and AHL caliber players with depth.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
to get chychrun youre going to need to give up at least a couple pieces that would hurt to lose, not just picks that are contingent on winning the stanley cup
vikhodush and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
So DeBrusk, some picks and a bunch of spare parts...yeah Zona says no.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
No longer a Virgin
Quoting: bruinsdude77
This is Arizona we're talking about. DeBrusk becomes one of their best forward and the same goes for Clifton on D. If you think Steen doesn't carry much weight, that means you haven't seen him play this season.

And your solution is to add another first-round pick and a first-round prospect? If you read the conditions, that 1/2/3 is extremely likely to become 1/1/2 and possibly 1/1/1, so pretty much what your asking for. This deal is all about giving the Yotes picks and supplementing a roster filled with impending UFAs and AHL caliber players with depth.

Sorry man, not quality. Doesn't matter if Debrusk and Clifton would be their best players, they're still incredibly marginal players. No deal
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: Sabresguy1987
That has to be the most average group of players ive ever seen. I love trades like this where boston doesnt have to give up any actual good pieces for arizonas best players

Quoting: Borocop
to get chychrun youre going to need to give up at least a couple pieces that would hurt to lose, not just picks that are contingent on winning the stanley cup

The 'Yotes can get two firsts and a second without the Bs winning the Cup plus a recent third-round pick in Olson, and four players who feature in the lineup next season. Plenty of good pieces, especially by Arizona standards.

If I had listed the conditional picks as all first-rounders, the outrage would be from the other side saying no player or package is worth three first round picks plus several young roster players.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
Man is that a terrible offer
Feb. 22, 2022 at 1:54 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
The 'Yotes can get two firsts and a second without the Bs winning the Cup plus a recent third-round pick in Olson, and four players who feature in the lineup next season. Plenty of good pieces, especially by Arizona standards.

If I had listed the conditional picks as all first-rounders, the outrage would be from the other side saying no player or package is worth three first round picks plus several young roster players.

they coyotes are not trading a top pair d-man signed for term at a good pricetag in exchange for replaceable bottom 6, bottom 4 players.

The basically 2 guranteed first-round picks is nice, but any other contender in the league can offer 2 late first round picks and a pile of meh for him. Arizona has no real need to sell him either unless theyre getting back great value. Hes very cheap for his role and hes got 4 years left.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.

Worst part of this thread. You actually TRYING to justify it’s a good trade.

It’s not.
Bias_it_self liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
If you boil all the BOS side assets into a single value, its probably fine in terms of just overall value. The thing is, I think Arizona will want a consolidation of the assets into a more clear and concise tabulation of the assets. So for example, remove 4 things from this deal, and replace them with 1 different thing. whether that be a player, pick, prospect. doesn't matter.

Any time a trade that involves more than 5 different assets going the other way from one team, the value becomes almost murky and too hard to evaluate properly. That's why they are so rare to make but if you are hell bent on making a big splash, try making 3 separate trades for those 3 players. That way its easier to evaluate what each player is costing. Might help sell or dissuade your proposal. As is, its just too many moving parts for one single trade that making it in real life is almost impossible in my opinion.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.
No, the Bruins biggest long-term need is not top LHD. It is a top6 C. You said long-term, right? Then, it is even more with Bergeron being 36 and in the final year of his contract.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: bhavikp27
No, the Bruins biggest long-term need is not top LHD. It is a top6 C. You said long-term, right? Then, it is even more with Bergeron being 36 and in the final year of his contract.

This is fair. I was thinking long-term more in the sense of immediate roster needs beyond this season, since we have no one who can suitably play LD1 whereas I fully expect Bergeron to sign on for another year or two and there is depth behind him. In terms of long-term team building, a blue chip center prospect or established young top-six center is the biggest need.
Feb. 22, 2022 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
If you boil all the BOS side assets into a single value, its probably fine in terms of just overall value. The thing is, I think Arizona will want a consolidation of the assets into a more clear and concise tabulation of the assets. So for example, remove 4 things from this deal, and replace them with 1 different thing. whether that be a player, pick, prospect. doesn't matter.

Any time a trade that involves more than 5 different assets going the other way from one team, the value becomes almost murky and too hard to evaluate properly. That's why they are so rare to make but if you are hell bent on making a big splash, try making 3 separate trades for those 3 players. That way its easier to evaluate what each player is costing. Might help sell or dissuade your proposal. As is, its just too many moving parts for one single trade that making it in real life is almost impossible in my opinion.

I agree with this 100% and in most cases I wouldn't send eight pieces in a trade. However, Arizona already has no depth and that is with a team filled with expiring contracts. They could use the influx of players and certainly won't mind three high value picks. As for the breakdown, I see it as this:

BOS receives: Jakob Chychrun
ARI receives: 2022 first-round pick, 2023 conditional first-round pick, Jake DeBrusk, Oskar Steen, Connor Clifton (John Moore)

BOS receives: Phil Kessel (UFA), Johan Larsson (UFA)
ARI receives: 2024 conditional first-round pick, Quinn Olson
Feb. 22, 2022 at 4:39 p.m.
I agree with this 100% and in most cases I wouldn't send eight pieces in a trade. However, Arizona already has no depth and that is with a team filled with expiring contracts. They could use the influx of players and certainly won't mind three high value picks. As for the breakdown, I see it as this:

BOS receives: Jakob Chychrun
ARI receives: 2022 first-round pick, 2023 conditional first-round pick, Jake DeBrusk, Oskar Steen, Connor Clifton (John Moore)

BOS receives: Phil Kessel (UFA), Johan Larsson (UFA)
ARI receives: 2024 conditional first-round pick, Quinn Olson

Hmm ok. At the end of the day, assuming Arizona felt the best value was coming from Boston and not some other team (I doubt it but who knows) this is where I think the middle point would be:

Chychrun
for
2022 first-round pick, 2023 conditional first-round pick (Pretty much guaranteed to be a 1st IMO), Jake DeBrusk Fabian Lysell.

I think this is top value for Chychrun but I think to get him you'll have to pay top dollar. Teams like LAK could easily match this if they wanted to. It'll all depend on if they want to beat it or not. We're assuming here they don't and Boston is then the front runner.

Phil Kessel (50%), Johan Larsson (Both UFA's)
for
2024 conditional first-round pick (Pretty much guaranteed to be a 3rd IMO), Olson/Steen, John Moore

Given that apparently from some reports, no teams want to even pay a 3rd for Kessel right now so I'm basically using Moore's extra year as the offset in order to get the 3rd round pick and prospect at all as I think Larsson would only get a 3rd OR a prospect by himself. Arizona will need some cap for next year anyway and Moore at least makes less in actual cash than his cap so that helps them a bit. Its not great but its not terrible either.

So you could say swap Clifton and 1 of Olson/Steen for Lysell in your original deal and it could work. It really depends on what else teams are offering.
gretzkyghosts and KINGS67 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll