Forums/Armchair-GM

Thoughts on who would be good to add

Created by: matt1337
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 15, 2022
Published: Mar. 15, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Each player in first trade realistically needs to be moved out. They either make too much for the spot they are playing (kerfoot), are bad (Holl and Mrazek), or just aren't going to be useful in the playoffs (engvall and Dermott). Kerfoot has value so you can probably get something useful for him which can be flipped for a forward to play in the top 6. Dermott might have some value to add into a trade for a top 4 defender. Engvall might get a mid to low pick back. Holl for future considerations and mrazek you need to pay to get rid of.

This team isn't going to show what should be traded or acquired for each player, but mostly who I think they should try to acquire. I'm also not saying they should acquire everyone here. Mostly who I would like for them to try and acquire.

Overall, I don't think they really need to add a goalie of importance, but maybe someone who will be a capable backup. Craig Anderson would be interesting, Wedgewood or Halak. Someone who won't cost a lot to acquire. I think Campbell is capable of returning to form, especially if they address their defense adequately.

Defense should be their priority, adding at least 1 more guy. Forward should be added if muzzin won't be back until the playoffs. Forward depth is fine to add, like Deslauriers to give more physicality to the bottom 6.
Trades
ARI
    Not sure what it would cost to acquire Crouse, but he feels like he would help the 2nd line get some room on the ice.
    ANA
      4th line gritty guy to play with Spezza and Simmonds. Shouldn't cost a lot to acquire.
      CBJ
        Not sure if Columbus would even move Gavrikov, but he's physical, blocks shots and can play in the top 4. Don't really know what they'd want, but he'd be someone worth checking in on.
        NJD
          Graves is a big defender who doesn't mind fighting. Is tough in front of the net and blocks shots. Can easily play in the top 4 as well.
          NYI
            Big, physical defense, hits, blocks, fights. Would be a good bottom pairing guy or just added depth.
            SJS
              Long shot, but would be a great addition to the top 6 and helps if anyone gets injured in the top 6 because he can play center or wing. Doubt it happens but should be interesting.
              VAN
                Unrealistic, but he would be the perfect addition to the top 6. Big, physical and can play center or wing. I wouldn't even mind if they overpay for him.
                Retained Salary Transactions
                DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                Logo of the TOR
                ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
                25$81,500,000$86,033,116$0$400,000-$4,533,116
                Left WingCentreRight Wing
                Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
                $950,000$950,000
                LW
                UFA - 2
                $11,640,250$11,640,250
                C
                UFA - 3
                $10,903,000$10,903,000
                RW
                UFA - 4
                Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
                $5,250,000$5,250,000
                C, LW, RW
                UFA - 2
                $11,000,000$11,000,000
                C, LW
                NMC
                UFA - 4
                $6,962,366$6,962,366
                RW
                UFA - 3
                $1,645,000$1,645,000
                LW, RW
                UFA - 1
                $1,500,000$1,500,000
                C
                UFA - 2
                $1,250,000$1,250,000
                RW
                UFA - 1
                Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
                $1,000,000$1,000,000
                LW, RW
                UFA - 1
                $750,000$750,000
                C, RW
                UFA - 1
                $900,000$900,000
                RW, LW
                NTC
                UFA - 2
                $1,000,000$1,000,000
                LW
                UFA - 1
                Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
                $5,000,000$5,000,000
                LD
                NMC
                UFA - 1
                $5,000,000$5,000,000
                LD/RD
                NTC
                UFA - 3
                $1,650,000$1,650,000
                G
                UFA - 1
                Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
                $2,800,000$2,800,000
                LD
                UFA - 2
                Logo of the New Jersey Devils
                $3,166,667$3,166,667
                LD
                UFA - 2
                $750,000$750,000
                G
                UFA - 2
                $894,167$894,167
                LD
                UFA - 1
                $1,350,000$1,350,000
                RD
                UFA - 1
                $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
                RD
                RFA - 1
                ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
                Logo of the San Jose Sharks
                $5,625,000$5,625,000
                C
                M-NTC
                UFA - 1
                $5,625,000$5,625,000
                LD
                NTC
                UFA - 3
                Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
                $1,533,333$1,533,333
                LW, RW
                UFA - 1
                Logo of the New York Islanders
                $1,450,000$1,450,000
                RD
                UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
                • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.
                You're not getting gavrikov. Nobody would be willing to match his price
                Ajp_18 and benjgc liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:37 p.m.
                Not getting Graves either.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
                Ovchinnikov 137
                <a href=needs.png">

I see one glaring need this team has to address, which you did not. But that's me
                palhal liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
                Quoting: BJ_Lover
                You're not getting gavrikov. Nobody would be willing to match his price

Realistically, what do you think would be the price for Gavrikov?
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:40 p.m.
                Quoting: MatthewsFan
                <a href=needs.png">

I see one glaring need this team has to address, which you did not. But that's me

Only 3rd in Goals so ya, buy more goals!! 😂
                <a href=needs.png">

I agree, their goaltending has been bad, but I also feel like the defense hasn't helped them either. With steady defensive play, I think Campbell can be a steady .915~ goalie, which is all they need. I did say they should acquire a capable backup in Anderson, Wedgewood or Halak.
                we miss leo k
                jumping on the "nope" train to say you're not going to want to pay what Mayfield costs if you're valuing him as a bottom pair guy.

If you're just looking for that, focus more on the guys like Hagg/Chara/Wideman/etc - pending UFAs on non-playoff teams. Maybe not the sexiest acquisitions, but if you're just looking for depth, they will be fine players and aren't going to cost a ton of assets to acquire, unlike the guys you have listed here.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
                Quoting: NYR1983
                Only 3rd in Goals so ya, buy more goals!! 😂

The problem is, that's mostly from the 1st line. They need more consistency from line 2 and adding someone who can help that would be useful. If teams shut down the 1st line in the playoffs, who is going to score for them?
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.
                LongtimeLeafsufferer
                It's kinda the Leafs typical hate. Trade costf effective players like Engvall and Kerfoot. And even 2m Holl, and 1.5m Dermot can't be blamed for poor defensive play. Muzzin has been poor all year, and certainly Brodie and Reilly have been poor defensive play lately. But those last three Dmen have NTCs and always seem to get the Telfon treatment by so many Leaf fans.
                Hammerwise liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:44 p.m.
                Quoting: dannibalcorpse
                jumping on the "nope" train to say you're not going to want to pay what Mayfield costs if you're valuing him as a bottom pair guy.

If you're just looking for that, focus more on the guys like Hagg/Chara/Wideman/etc - pending UFAs on non-playoff teams. Maybe not the sexiest acquisitions, but if you're just looking for depth, they will be fine players and aren't going to cost a ton of assets to acquire, unlike the guys you have listed here.

I don't mind if they pay for those guys listed, as they have term on their deals. That's what Dubas has come out and said. Realistically, what is the cost to acquire Mayfield?
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
                Me
                Leafs already have too many guys who are physical but not good at hockey (Clifford and Simmonds) how does Dealaurier add anything?
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
                Just dont think TOR has the real resources to acquire most of these guys.

Theres only a 1st and 2nd in 2021. The prospect cupboard isn;t bad, but lacks a real lot of high end guys. Without Amirov, the only real bets are robertson and abramov at forward and with sandin and liljegren in NHL theres some unpolished guys on defense who might hit, but none of them look high end. Serviceable and possibles galore, but in comparison to other systems, weak. Hockey Prospect had them at 20th overall, (but that was with Amirov).

So theres not tons of assets to move and the cap is stretched behind reilly's uplift, keeping a RFA like Kase or two, and getting a goalie in the offseason (or resigning Campbell), so I think its more bargain or UFA shopping.

Youve also picked guys playing at a very high level and therefore are getting an inflated price, like Crouse, or guys in high demand like Mayfield. Both those two get a 2nd easily, if not more, and I'm not sure TOR should part with it.

Also, theres a reccurring theme in some of your acquisition wants for toughness: Deslauriers, Mayfield, Crouse, Graves.... etc.... The team made that mistake last yr with Foligno, and if its still an issue now Dubas should be ashamed of himself. Gabriel, Clifford, Simmonds and none of them have brought toughness, that you might have to part with major assets a second year in a row to address it?
                palhal liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
                Quoting: palhal
                It's kinda the Leafs typical hate. Trade costf effective players like Engvall and Kerfoot. And even 2m Holl, and 1.5m Dermot can't be blamed for poor defensive play. Muzzin has been poor all year, and certainly Brodie and Reilly have been poor defensive play lately. But those last three Dmen have NTCs and always seem to get the Telfon treatment by so many Leaf fans.

I never said kerfoot is bad, but realistically, he doesn't move the needle for them in the top 6. They need someone who can help that line be more consistent. Engvall is ok, but we need more physicality in the bottom 6. Holl has been bad all year.

Rielly, Brodie and Muzzin unfortunately won't get traded. I would rather trade muzzin and find someone else for their top 4, but that seems more like an offseason move than right now. Dermott is too prone to mistakes, which we saw cost them a game against Montreal.
                aedoran liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
                Ovchinnikov 137
                Quoting: matt1337
                I agree, their goaltending has been bad, but I also feel like the defense hasn't helped them either. With steady defensive play, I think Campbell can be a steady .915~ goalie, which is all they need. I did say they should acquire a capable backup in Anderson, Wedgewood or Halak.

They absolutely need to address the goaltending before anything else. Realistically this team needs a:
                Top 6 LW
                Top 4 RD
                New 4th line
                And a new backup goaltender

Only on Capfriedly can all of those be answered. Let's be real, they've probably got two trades they can make. Or one trade that address both (goaltending and one of top 6 fwd or top 4 D)

My guess is they go out and get a stop gap goalie (some cheap aav) and another d.
                Hammerwise liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
                Quoting: Hammerwise
                Just dont think TOR has the real resources to acquire most of these guys.

Theres only a 1st and 2nd in 2021. The prospect cupboard isn;t bad, but lacks a real lot of high end guys. Without Amirov, the only real bets are robertson and abramov at forward and with sandin and liljegren in NHL theres some unpolished guys on defense who might hit, but none of them look high end. Serviceable and possibles galore, but in comparison to other systems, weak. Hockey Prospect had them at 20th overall, (but that was with Amirov).

So theres not tons of assets to move and the cap is stretched behind reilly's uplift, keeping a RFA like Kase or two, and getting a goalie in the offseason (or resigning Campbell), so I think its more bargain or UFA shopping.

Youve also picked guys playing at a very high level and therefore are getting an inflated price, like Crouse, or guys in high demand like Mayfield. Both those two get a 2nd easily, if not more, and I'm not sure TOR should part with it.

Also, theres a reccurring theme in some of your acquisition wants for toughness: Deslauriers, Mayfield, Crouse, Graves.... etc.... The team made that mistake last yr with Foligno, and if its still an issue now Dubas should be ashamed of himself. Gabriel, Clifford, Simmonds and none of them have brought toughness, that you might have to part with major assets a second year in a row to address it?

Honestly, the Foligno trade would've worked if he would've been healthy. It was unfortunate that he got hurt. The difference between Foligno and the guys I mentioned are they are younger. Of course, injuries can happen, but more likely the older you get and you play that style of hockey.

I disagree with the cupboard being empty, especially with guys like Knies, Niemela, Steeves, Abruzesse, Hirvonen and more. Knies and Abruzesse played for team USA at the Olympics. Holmberg played for team Sweden at the Olympics and won MVP of the playoffs the year before in the SHL. Joey Anderson is another guy teams might be interested in. There's still Hollowell and Duszak as well on defense.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
                They absolutely need to address the goaltending before anything else. Realistically this team needs a:
                Top 6 LW
                Top 4 RD
                New 4th line

Only on Capfriedly can all of those be answered. Let's be real, they've probably got two trades they can make. Or one trade that address both (goaltending and one of top 6 fwd or top 4 D)

My guess is they go out and get a stop gap goalie (some cheap aav) and another d.

I think ideally they are close to stuck with what they have.

Lacking picks and their in their limited system their 2nd best prospect developing brain cancer has really limited their options.

I think a solid backup like Craig Anderson from BUF is a good move, maybe a Brassard LW/C from PHI to strengthen the secondary scoring, and then maybe one big move (but again theres limited assets on offer).
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
                Top 6 LW
                Top 4 RD
                New 4th line

Agreed, I think they only make 1 or 2 trades to try and improve the team. I think the priority should be a top 4 defense and a capable backup. Adding a forward would be nice if they can get it done, kerfoot would need to be traded or part of the package to make the cap work.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
                Quoting: Leafsleaks123
                Leafs already have too many guys who are physical but not good at hockey (Clifford and Simmonds) how does Dealaurier add anything?

He skates better than them. Clifford is a non option.
                NYR1983 liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.
                Honestly, the Foligno trade would've worked if he would've been healthy. It was unfortunate that he got hurt. The difference between Foligno and the guys I mentioned are they are younger. Of course, injuries can happen, but more likely the older you get and you play that style of hockey.

I disagree with the cupboard being empty, especially with guys like Knies, Niemela, Steeves, Abruzesse, Hirvonen and more. Knies and Abruzesse played for team USA at the Olympics. Holmberg played for team Sweden at the Olympics and won MVP of the playoffs the year before in the SHL. Joey Anderson is another guy teams might be interested in. There's still Hollowell and Duszak as well on defense.

Most of those guys you just names are 3rd round picks or lesser, and most teams can name off a bunch of players who went to the olympics and played well, even Jordan Weal played well. Only Knies and Hirvonen were 2nd rounders and look like they could/should make it, but certainly none of those guys you mentioned would be high end prospects. The facts are that they are midlevel prospects that might hit, but most will never progress to the NHL and even less will become top 6 forwards/top 4 defensemen.

The fact that you threw Joey Anderson in there as a player "some teams might be interested in", who's had parts of 4 seasons in the pros and has 13 pts in 57 games, YET only 5 games in toronto the last 2 seasons. Not saying hes not a player, I am saying Theres not much value there, not enough to get a coveted TDL guy.

Hollowell and Duszak are nice, but neither really look like they;ll be NHLers
                palhal liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
                The problem is, that's mostly from the 1st line. They need more consistency from line 2 and adding someone who can help that would be useful. If teams shut down the 1st line in the playoffs, who is going to score for them?

The 2nd line that is worth 20M and win 60%+ faceoffs. Sounds like just adding more skill to the line isn’t what’s needed. There’s a major issue with the chemistry and the 2 big names likely need to be separated. Regardless of wanting multi scoring lines; it’s not like you win all the games that they do score. Scoring 8 goals and losing the game happens and shouldn’t be looked at as “this line needed to score more”. < not using a specific game as an example, just as theory. Offence is the last thing you need to add. But if you want to believe otherwise then so be it
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
                we miss leo k
                Realistically, what is the cost to acquire Mayfield?

I can only give my read on it, and that's obviously flavored by my own opinions, but I think the price on Mayfield should be a 1st, or a 2nd and a decent prospect. He's played a ton of top pair minutes with Adam Pelech this year, so I think he can be a solid top 4 option for a lot of teams, and he's got another year at a ridiculous cap hit ($1.45M) so he can go anywhere - including staying on the Islanders, who plan on contending next year again and would be perfectly happy having him slot back in at RD3 and on the PK. That extra term adds a ton of value, because it's not going to preclude any team acquiring him from making any other moves - it's less than Travis Dermott's hit, and he's a guy Toronto has just been carrying to play 14 minutes a night a few times a week.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
                Ovchinnikov 137
                Quoting: Hammerwise
                I think ideally they are close to stuck with what they have.

Lacking picks and their in their limited system their 2nd best prospect developing brain cancer has really limited their options.

I think a solid backup like Craig Anderson from BUF is a good move, maybe a Brassard LW/C from PHI to strengthen the secondary scoring, and then maybe one big move (but again theres limited assets on offer).

Ya, IMO they will probably look at killing two birds with one stone, getting a cheap goalie and another D. Don't envy the job he has because like you said, limited pieces to work with and cap space. Although I would find it very freakin surprising that a team this smart would blow through their accrued cap space and still not have Muzzin out till the playoffs. Guess we will see
                Hammerwise liked this.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
                Quoting: NYR1983
                The 2nd line that is worth 20M and win 60%+ faceoffs. Sounds like just adding more skill to the line isn’t what’s needed. There’s a major issue with the chemistry and the 2 big names likely need to be separated. Regardless of wanting multi scoring lines; it’s not like you win all the games that they do score. Scoring 8 goals and losing the game happens and shouldn’t be looked at as “this line needed to score more”. < not using a specific game as an example, just as theory. Offence is the last thing you need to add. But if you want to believe otherwise then so be it

I'm not saying adding someone for the top 6 is a priority. Should be top 4 defense, back up goalie, then a top 6 forward if possible. Also, adding someone else for the top 6 even gives Keefe the option to shuffle the top 2 lines to find the best chemistry for both of them to contribute at the same time.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
                Ovchinnikov 137
                Agreed, I think they only make 1 or 2 trades to try and improve the team. I think the priority should be a top 4 defense and a capable backup. Adding a forward would be nice if they can get it done, kerfoot would need to be traded or part of the package to make the cap work.

Yes, but therein lies the rub, for a team that has lacked scoring in the playoffs, you are not trading Kerfoot who has 43 points on the season (7th most on the team) for a D. Just get a goalie that can give you anything more than what they have been getting. Again, this team only sits 3 points back to TBL with ****y goaltending, like terrible goaltending.
                Mar. 15, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
                Quoting: dannibalcorpse
                I can only give my read on it, and that's obviously flavored by my own opinions, but I think the price on Mayfield should be a 1st, or a 2nd and a decent prospect. He's played a ton of top pair minutes with Adam Pelech this year, so I think he can be a solid top 4 option for a lot of teams, and he's got another year at a ridiculous cap hit ($1.45M) so he can go anywhere - including staying on the Islanders, who plan on contending next year again and would be perfectly happy having him slot back in at RD3 and on the PK. That extra term adds a ton of value, because it's not going to preclude any team acquiring him from making any other moves - it's less than Travis Dermott's hit, and he's a guy Toronto has just been carrying to play 14 minutes a night a few times a week.

2nd and a decent prospect doesn't seem too bad, and the extra year on the contract is exactly what Dubas wouldn't mind paying for. Like you said, they are paying more for Dermott to not play, which is why he needs to be dealt.

To create a post please Login or Register
                Question:
                Options:
                Add Option
                Submit Poll