Forums/Armchair-GM

Changes

Created by: Rylee92
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2022
Published: Jul. 8, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Considering that Husso's signing rights were traded and he was later resigned, and Fluery was resigned even after all the rumors of him coming to Toronto. Also with rumors of Campbell going to the Oilers and wanting more money, Gibson was a better option than the others, and cheaper. We have Knies in the system, and Robertson might not be the greatest fit, as we seen with him playing for the Leafs the last couple years
Muzzin is cap dump so is Bailey, Leafs could use Bailey as a middle 6 scorer, and Muzzin is a solid top 4 D man.

Signing Nichuskin is a great option for the Leafs to sign, because he's not too expensive, and I think would mesh well with Matthews and Marner, but if not Tavares and Nylander, but we've seen Bunting do well on both lines
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$894,197
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
2$1,250,000
2$825,000
2$825,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
2$900,000
2$800,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$850,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Gibson, John ($1,400,000 retained)
ANA
  1. Der-Arguchintsev, Semyon
  2. Robertson, Nicholas
  3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Geekie, Morgan [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 6th round pick (WSH)
SEA
  1. Kase, Ondrej [RFA Rights]
TOR
  1. Fix-Wolansky, Trey [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (CBJ)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$82,168,116$212,500$0$331,884
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$900,000$900,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
The unproven Robertson, the B prospect and the second cover the $7 million in retention. Gibson is worth more than a first.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 2:57 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: Logan_Ollivier
Bailey was a bad contract the moment he signed it. Muzzin is not going to get traded. He's still a top 4 defenceman

He was an all star when he signed it lmao. Then he was one of their leading point producers for back to back conference finals. But you think Jake Muzzin has done more for the leafs on his contract? Get real.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: dk325
Can't speak for other teams, but Jarmo has 0 history of taking on cap dumps. I don't think most fans consider the CBJ end of these trades at all when they're proposed. Often the responses as to why they're not logical moves are just ignored and the same trades get proposed over and over by the same people too. I get you guys want to have fun, but maybe somewhere in the hundreds of Kerfoot, Holl, Muzzin or Mrazek to CBJ proposals you guys could catch on that these players don't make sense for Columbus to acquire?

The first 3 aren't typical cap dumps but you are correct, JK would have taken McDonagh for free but not for any assets (TB didn't have to move him this year but it would have helped retain guys they wanted, and perhaps been more important next year). That being said it doesn't mean there won't be a hockey trade that involves Kerfoot for example (don't think the other two fit the teams make up). There are some people who say, we don't need a middle 6 player in CBJ for example, but a lot of people will say we aren't taking a cap dump or something along the lines as if they are negative assets or tie down the team. Toronto doesn't need to actually move any of the 3 for cap space to be cap compliant, not this year nor the next, so technically at the moment they aren't cap dumps at all.

My criticism is not of people who say X player isn't a fit/doesn't fill a need, or it wouldn't make sense for us to get a rental (at this point), or that trade is lopsided or doesn't do anything for the team; rather, it's the fans that are fixated on weaponizing cap space and also assuming that their team is going to be a rebuilder until their prospects come into their own, and the fans who think that GMs won't trade for 1 and 2-year rentals unless they are a top contender. Basically, people who take cap and asset management to an unrealistic extreme.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:07 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Quoting: GMBL
The first 3 aren't typical cap dumps but you are correct, JK would have taken McDonagh for free but not for any assets. That being said it doesn't mean there won't be a hockey trade that involves Kerfoot for example (don't think the other two fit the teams make up). There are some people who say, we don't need a middle 6 player in CBJ for example, but a lot of people will say we aren't taking a cap dump or something along the lines as if they are negative assets or tie down the team. Toronto doesn't need to actually move any of the 3 for cap space to be cap compliant, not this year nor the next, so technically at the moment they aren't cap dumps at all.

My criticism is not of people who say X player isn't a fit/doesn't fill a need, or it wouldn't make sense for us to get a rental (at this point), or that trade is lopsided or doesn't do anything for the team; rather, it's the fans that are fixated on weaponizing cap space and also assuming that their team is going to be a rebuilder until their prospects come into their own, and the fans who think that GMs won't trade for 1 and 2-year rentals unless they are a top contender. Basically, people who take cap and asset management to an unrealistic extreme.

I get that. I suppose it's just odd that this conversation came up off a CBJ proposal since there really aren't any reasonable people arguing from the CBJ end that they should be looking to weaponize cap space. Some of us will throw out the "not interested in cap dumps" line to troll a bit, but after so many repeated proposals that make no sense for Columbus it feels like people are just trolling the CBJ at this point too.
BoomerTheHero and Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
we miss leo k
So what your saying is Kerfoot sucks and despite outscoring all but 4 of your players, without any PP time. So as I was saying, people on here hate anything to do with the Leafs without any real cause or logic. I am not defending this trade but it's funny how every team has 305, million, billion better forwards than Kerfoot and only 3 teams in the entire league had a better record than TO. It's weird how guys can be successful, useful and valuable to a top team but are somehow "borderline 3rd liners" on much worse teams.

take your foot off the gas with this persecution complex dude, no one is saying Kerfoot sucks here, just that it doesn't make sense for the Jackets to spend picks to acquire a guy who doesn't fit their timeline for contention. When you look at the forwards they have signed for next year it's either dudes that he's not good enough to push out of their lineup spot (Laine/Voracek), guys that are team leaders (Jenner/Nyquist/Bjorkstrand), or they're young guys that you want to give the ice time to (Texier/Johnson/Marchenko/Sillinger/Chinakhov). Sure, he's better than the 4th line guys they've got (Kuraly/Danforth/Robinson/Gaunce) but would *you* give up a 2nd rounder to pay $3.5M to a 4th liner?
dopplsan, dk325, BoomerTheHero and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Nah.
Edited Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:23 p.m.
So what your saying is Kerfoot sucks and despite outscoring all but 4 of your players, without any PP time. So as I was saying, people on here hate anything to do with the Leafs without any real cause or logic. I am not defending this trade but it's funny how every team has 305, million, billion better forwards than Kerfoot and only 3 teams in the entire league had a better record than TO. It's weird how guys can be successful, useful and valuable to a top team but are somehow "borderline 3rd liners" on much worse teams.

There might be some tone to it, but you gotta read the substance of what every CBJ fans says to ACGMs trading Kerfoot to us:

- Kerfoot is...fine.
- Kerfoot would not be playing in a high-level offensive system with CBJ. So the relatively good year he had last year, a career year for him (note his GSVA the three prior years), would likely not be the norm for him were he to play with CBJ, SEA, AZ, etc.
- We have a number of young Fs who need NHL playing time, and he would just be an impediment to that. As would any player like him. If CBJ are obtaining Fs in trade right now, they are going to be young, with years of control, and already/ developing into top-line players.
- He is a fine value at $3.5M. He is not a fine value as soon-to-be 28 year old UFA likely expecting a pay-raise.
- Finally, there are tons, and tons, and tons of TOR ACGMs that trade him to CBJ. Authors are repeatedly told "No, we do not want him, please stop trading him to us" only to get tons and tons more, without any change in circumstance or logic. You need two yes' for a trade to be done.

That final point likely illustrates why you see a lot of irritation with TOR ACGMs, at least from CBJ fans.

That being said, the thing is, though, most of the hate for TOR I see comes from TOR fans.

Ya'll have a great team, and as a fan of another team ridiculed for its seeming inability to get out of the 1st round of the playoffs, I get it; but, every time you lose we get a flood of ACGMs trying to dump every player not named Matthews.

Plus, I mean...
dannibalcorpse, dk325, benjgc and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
I get that. I suppose it's just odd that this conversation came up off a CBJ proposal since there really aren't any reasonable people arguing from the CBJ end that they should be looking to weaponize cap space. Some of us will throw out the "not interested in cap dumps" line to troll a bit, but after so many repeated proposals that make no sense for Columbus it feels like people are just trolling the CBJ at this point too.

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about about CBJ in particular, the reason this started though was because a lot of the time people are refusing other teams players because they assume they have no value just because the fans of that team are putting them in mock trade. So that's kind of why I asked that question, because I see a general trend even though it's often with Leafs' players but people are assuming that guys with a 1-yr deal or 2-yr deals are going to be rentals (and even if they are) they assume they have no value and similarly players who are 28+.

Another trend that kind of irks me as well is valuing players who had break out years way above their counterparts that might have had less point totals last year but a much better track record. Particularly, Matthew Tkachuk, JT Miller, and Fiala. I feel like that Fiala trade brought back a lot of people to earth on their expectations on certain players. That DeBrincat trade though rely shook CHI fans after their GM was reportedly asking for a ridiculous price, but yeah DeBrincat has a pretty good track record so I guess we see how much player control matters in the current market.
Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan

Plus, I mean...

Lol, if you look at his ratings most of the rival teams had high votes for Toronto. He did the adjusted for fan base size but naturally a lot of Canadian team fans are going to be against the Leafs because they have to hear about them a ton, which makes their fans more annoying too.

The unhinged one though is pretty accurate the way they run out defenders and goalies out of town, the most delusional fanbase though is the Oilers imo, since they often see their good players as superstars even before they had any. I think some even thought Ryan Smyth was better than Mats Sundin for example.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: GMBL
Yeah, I wasn't really talking about about CBJ in particular, the reason this started though was because a lot of the time people are refusing other teams players because they assume they have no value just because the fans of that team are putting them in mock trade. So that's kind of why I asked that question, because I see a general trend even though it's often with Leafs' players but people are assuming that guys with a 1-yr deal or 2-yr deals are going to be rentals (and even if they are) they assume they have no value and similarly players who are 28+.

I get that. And Kerfoot doesn't suck. He likely has value to a number of teams out there. CBJ just aren't one of them. Kerfoot's value as a player is like, #3 on the list of reasons he isn't a fit for CBJ.

Frustratingly, we have to keep reminding every other ACGM trading Kerfoot to us of that.
dk325, GMBL, BoomerTheHero and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
I get that. And Kerfoot doesn't suck. He likely has value to a number of teams out there. CBJ just aren't one of them. Kerfoot's value as a player is like, #3 on the list of reasons he isn't a fit for CBJ.

Frustratingly, we have to keep reminding every other ACGM trading Kerfoot to us of that.

I get the frustration, I'm learning to just ignore the ones that are just way out there or just repeated. At least we are done with Mrazek. Now, there's just Miller, Kerfoot, and Holl to get traded or resign.
Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
we miss leo k

Similar to seeing the "Muzzin to NYI" ACGMs somehow still popping up the day after they traded for their presumed LD2 in Romanov. Alas, it truly is part of the atmosphere around here - one day Jake Muzzin's contract will run out and we'll all miss the days of saying "you know he has a full NTC right?"
dopplsan, dk325 and Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:03 p.m.
Owly
Laine-Voracek
Nyquist-Bjorkstrand
Johnson-Marchenko
Texier-Chinakhov
Bemstrom

What 4 wingers does he push out of the lineup to make it into the top 9? They've also got Robinson, Danforth, Foudy and Olivier trying to get 4th line roles.

He can play centre as well
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: Isles5513
He was an all star when he signed it lmao. Then he was one of their leading point producers for back to back conference finals. But you think Jake Muzzin has done more for the leafs on his contract? Get real.

It wouldn't matter if Muzzin won two Norris's you'd say he sucks. You guys are so so transparent
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
Owly
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
take your foot off the gas with this persecution complex dude, no one is saying Kerfoot sucks here, just that it doesn't make sense for the Jackets to spend picks to acquire a guy who doesn't fit their timeline for contention. When you look at the forwards they have signed for next year it's either dudes that he's not good enough to push out of their lineup spot (Laine/Voracek), guys that are team leaders (Jenner/Nyquist/Bjorkstrand), or they're young guys that you want to give the ice time to (Texier/Johnson/Marchenko/Sillinger/Chinakhov). Sure, he's better than the 4th line guys they've got (Kuraly/Danforth/Robinson/Gaunce) but would *you* give up a 2nd rounder to pay $3.5M to a 4th liner?

Yup everyone is better
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:10 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
He can play centre as well

Then who does he push out from Roslovic, Jenner and Sillinger? Kuraly is cemented as 4th line C.
Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
It wouldn't matter if Muzzin won two Norris's you'd say he sucks. You guys are so so transparent

I’m pretty pale but I wouldn’t say I’m transparent. Also Muzzin hasn’t won two Norris’s and happens to be injury prone lmao. You are way off base bro.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
Owly
Then who does he push out from Roslovic, Jenner and Sillinger? Kuraly is cemented as 4th line C.

Yup everyone is better
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
Owly
I’m pretty pale but I wouldn’t say I’m transparent. Also Muzzin hasn’t won two Norris’s and happens to be injury prone lmao. You are way off base bro.

Pelech has missed more time more consistently than Muzzin has over his career. All leaf players are overrated cap dumps.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Pelech has missed more time more consistently than Muzzin has over his career. All leaf players are overrated cap dumps.

Pelech is a significantly better player than Muzzin. With the exception of his injury in 2020 which led to the Andy Greene trade he’s been healthy. Trotz was just ****ing scratching him lmao.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan

https://theathletic.com/1507245/2020/01/03/islanders-lose-adam-pelech-to-freak-warmup-injury-now-what/?amp=1

Last time Pelech was hurt Johnny Boychuk was still playing. You may want to reconsider your last statement.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Yup everyone is better

If you're not gonna make a case for the guy over anyone then don't ree when people say he doesn't fit into a lineup.
Viqsi and Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 7:59 p.m.
mostly harmless
It's the same reason for all of them. They hate the Leafs. Kerfoot is a 50, swiss army knife, with speed and can kill penalties, but he's a leaf so he's a cap dump. For crying out loud, 75% of people on this site think Marner has negative value because he makes over 10.

We don't hate the Leafs. We just hate the Leafs fans who, despite ONE THOUSAND DAYS of "no, we don't want him" to any and all Kerfoot-to-the-Jackets proposals for a variety of reasons that have been regularly repeated and explained, still keep making them. We especially can't stand the ones who decide that this is because of a persecution complex against the leafs. Nope. It's because of THREE YEARS of refusing to take the damn hint already.

Seriously. Y'all hold the damn record for unwelcome Jackets trade proposals at this point with Kerfoot alone. We don't want him. We will never want him. He has never fit our timeline and he never will. He has never been a justifiable upgrade to our roster for the price and he never will be. Cut it out already. You've had THREE FULL YEARS to learn this. There are no longer any permissible excuses.
dk325 and dannibalcorpse liked this.
Jul. 8, 2022 at 10:33 p.m.
we miss leo k

dude do like, ten seconds of research before you say things that make you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Pelech's last 5 years:
2017-18: 78/82 GP
2018-19: 78/82 GP in the regular season, 8/8 GP in the playoffs.
2019-20: 38/68 GP in the regular season (the freak injury described above), 21/22 GP in the playoffs
2020-21: 56/56 GP in the reg, 19/19 GP in the playoffs
2021-22: 78/82 GP

Jake Muzzin the last 5 years:
2017-18: 74/82 GP, 2/4 playoff GP
2018-19: 80/82 GP, 7/7 playoff GP
2019-20: 53/70 GP, 2/5 playoff GP
2020-21: 53/56 GP, 6/7 playoff GP
2021-22: 47/82 GP, 7/7 playoff GP

So Pelech's played 328 out of a possible 370 GP in the last 5 years, and 48 of the 49 playoff games the Isles played. Muzzin has played 307 out of 372 games and 22 out of 26 possible playoff games. Remind me again who's more injury prone though?

Yup everyone is better

Hilarious that the same guy who spent half the day yesterday arguing that Semyon Varlamov is an overpaid backup that Toronto wouldn't take for free is now upset when Jackets fans are telling him that they don't want to give up a 2nd rounder for Alex Kerfoot. The truest, most base form of being able to dish it out but not being able to take it. Here's some free advice: close your eyes, take a couple deep breaths, and remind yourself that this is a message board for hockey fans to debate trades and signings and someone saying they wouldn't want to trade for Justin Holl is *not* a personal attack against you and the things you believe in.
Jul. 9, 2022 at 1:56 a.m.
Owly
Pelech is a significantly better player than Muzzin. With the exception of his injury in 2020 which led to the Andy Greene trade he’s been healthy. Trotz was just ****ing scratching him lmao.

Ah so it's a one way street. Pelech is not a leaf so he's amazing and not injury prone
Jul. 9, 2022 at 1:57 a.m.
Owly
Quoting: Viqsi
We don't hate the Leafs. We just hate the Leafs fans who, despite ONE THOUSAND DAYS of "no, we don't want him" to any and all Kerfoot-to-the-Jackets proposals for a variety of reasons that have been regularly repeated and explained, still keep making them. We especially can't stand the ones who decide that this is because of a persecution complex against the leafs. Nope. It's because of THREE YEARS of refusing to take the damn hint already.

Seriously. Y'all hold the damn record for unwelcome Jackets trade proposals at this point with Kerfoot alone. We don't want him. We will never want him. He has never fit our timeline and he never will. He has never been a justifiable upgrade to our roster for the price and he never will be. Cut it out already. You've had THREE FULL YEARS to learn this. There are no longer any permissible excuses.

They are all better players on the jackets

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll