Kerfoot

Created by: LittleBuddha
Team: 2022-23 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 28, 2022
Published: Oct. 5, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
COL
    Az takes on the 50% cap, but only 375000 in actual cash out as signing bonuses are already paid
    ARI
    1. 2025 4th round pick (COL)
    COL
    1. Kerfoot, Alexander ($1,750,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    Az retains not TOR
    TOR
    1. 2024 4th round pick (COL)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$82,228,333$25,000$3,775,000$271,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $6,300,000$6,300,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 5
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $762,500$762,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
    Arizona has their own players to retain on, either it would have to be more interesting than a 4th or you’re looking to Chicago or Anaheim
    Richard88 and LittleBuddha liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Man these kerfoot offers just keep getting more and more insulting.

And then like clockwork when a trade goes down and we get their actual value the site freaks out.

Every damn time
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 3:59 p.m.
    Quoting: Random2152

And then like clockwork when a trade goes down and we get their actual value the site freaks out.

Every damn time
    I love Kerfer. Was not thrilled it was him instead of Jost or JT that went to TOr. His value is easy a 2nd. But any team that could actually use his value (skill set) this season can't afford (cap) him. And those that can, won't spend for an asset like him on a 1 yr. TOR could use a little space for the occasional injury. They will pay some how. LOss through waivers, picks for a cap dump or an undervalued trade. How do you think we scored Toews?
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: LittleBuddha
    I love Kerfer. Was not thrilled it was him instead of Jost or JT that went to TOr. His value is easy a 2nd. But any team that could actually use his value (skill set) this season can't afford (cap) him. And those that can, won't spend for an asset like him on a 1 yr. TOR could use a little space for the occasional injury. They will pay some how. LOss through waivers, picks for a cap dump or an undervalued trade. How do you think we scored Toews?

Lou being senile doesn't justify this offer
    LittleBuddha liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
    Been there, done that, don’t need to repeat with Kerfoot. Heart of lion, but softer than charmin, he’s what COL has morphed away from in their bottom 6.
    TJTwolf and coga16 liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
    we miss leo k

Every damn time

the potential of a GM making a bad deal doesn't change the logic:

there are currently 8 teams that have at least 21 skaters and the $3.5M in cap space to acquire Kerfoot(and that's if we're being generous, with the Islanders technically only having $3.485M) - NYI, WPG, OTT, DET, CHI, ANA, ARI, & BUF.

Kerfoot has a 10-team NTC that kicked in at the beginning of free agency this year - I wouldn't be shocked to find out that at least 3 of these 8 are on his NTC (spitballing: Chicago, Arizona, and one of Buffalo/Winnipeg).

But even if you assume he waives his NTC, I'd argue that Chicago, Anaheim, Arizona, Detroit, & Buffalo have no need to spend an asset to get him - he's a 27 year old pending UFA that you'd have to give a raise above $3.5M to keep around if you think he fits your rebuild timeline, or you're moving him with the hope that you flip him out for a better deal at the deadline (always a gamble), which means that you're going to want to pay less than market price to get him (ie, you think he's worth a 2nd/3rd so your best offer is a 4th.) I'd put those 5 as "highly unlikely" to spend any sort of pick on Kerfoot, though.

That leaves the Islanders, Senators, and Jets as teams with the cap available to get him. The Islanders don't have a spot for him at this point - they're filled up with middle-6 wingers as it is, so it would be foolish to spend an asset to get Slightly Better Josh Bailey when that means they're going to be paying someone else $4M+ to sit in the press box every night.

The Senators *might* have a spot for them in their middle-6, but that depends on the Alex Formenton situation - I have to assume they're holding cap space for his deal if he gets cleared to play.

The Jets have an easy spot for him on their 3rd line (apologies to Jensen Harkins) but again - they've got a perfectly fine player for that spot right now, and while an upgrade would be nice, why are they going to pay up? There's no one they have to bid against, so they've got the advantage over Toronto.

This summer has been filled with trades where teams traded assets at well below what their perceived value was because of cap constraints - there's no reason to think that the Leafs trying to move Kerfoot to be cap compliant would be any different.
    TJTwolf and LittleBuddha liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Quoting: dannibalcorpse
    the potential of a GM making a bad deal doesn't change the logic:

there are currently 8 teams that have at least 21 skaters and the $3.5M in cap space to acquire Kerfoot(and that's if we're being generous, with the Islanders technically only having $3.485M) - NYI, WPG, OTT, DET, CHI, ANA, ARI, & BUF.

Kerfoot has a 10-team NTC that kicked in at the beginning of free agency this year - I wouldn't be shocked to find out that at least 3 of these 8 are on his NTC (spitballing: Chicago, Arizona, and one of Buffalo/Winnipeg).

But even if you assume he waives his NTC, I'd argue that Chicago, Anaheim, Arizona, Detroit, & Buffalo have no need to spend an asset to get him - he's a 27 year old pending UFA that you'd have to give a raise above $3.5M to keep around if you think he fits your rebuild timeline, or you're moving him with the hope that you flip him out for a better deal at the deadline (always a gamble), which means that you're going to want to pay less than market price to get him (ie, you think he's worth a 2nd/3rd so your best offer is a 4th.) I'd put those 5 as "highly unlikely" to spend any sort of pick on Kerfoot, though.

That leaves the Islanders, Senators, and Jets as teams with the cap available to get him. The Islanders don't have a spot for him at this point - they're filled up with middle-6 wingers as it is, so it would be foolish to spend an asset to get Slightly Better Josh Bailey when that means they're going to be paying someone else $4M+ to sit in the press box every night.

The Senators *might* have a spot for them in their middle-6, but that depends on the Alex Formenton situation - I have to assume they're holding cap space for his deal if he gets cleared to play.

The Jets have an easy spot for him on their 3rd line (apologies to Jensen Harkins) but again - they've got a perfectly fine player for that spot right now, and while an upgrade would be nice, why are they going to pay up? There's no one they have to bid against, so they've got the advantage over Toronto.

This summer has been filled with trades where teams traded assets at well below what their perceived value was because of cap constraints - there's no reason to think that the Leafs trying to move Kerfoot to be cap compliant would be any different.

Listen I'm not gonna read all that, but the point is a player of kerfoots calibre is far more valuable than this, everyone knows it amd pretends he is worth ****. Even in some cap dump with no market (which I'm not convinced needs to happen at all) I'd wager we got more than this.

But the reason I'm arguing so hard for his value is that all reports from insiders say there would be a considerable market for him. Whatever cap issues a team has go out the window when that happens.
    He'd easily get browns return, and I'd wager a little more (like late 1st equivalent - which mostly means a 2nd and another asset like a b prospect).
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
    we miss leo k
    Listen I'm not gonna read all that, but the point is a player of kerfoots calibre is far more valuable than this, everyone knows it amd pretends he is worth ****. Even in some cap dump with no market (which I'm not convinced needs to happen at all) I'd wager we got more than this.

But the reason I'm arguing so hard for his value is that all reports from insiders say there would be a considerable market for him. Whatever cap issues a team has go out the window when that happens.
    He'd easily get browns return, and I'd wager a little more (like late 1st equivalent - which mostly means a 2nd and another asset like a b prospect).

"i'm not gonna read all that because i'm too busy repeating a dumb opinion that goes against every recent trend we've seen. teams will do this because reasons."
    TJTwolf and LittleBuddha liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
    Can't see the Avs having any interest in taking Kerfoot back. Good player but not a fit especially cap-wise, even with retention.
    coga16 and LittleBuddha liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
    dont waste the cap space on Kerfoot,
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
    Quoting: coga16
    dont waste the cap space on Kerfoot,

I don't want him as the 2c/LW we all wished he was and tried to force him to be at 3.5, I want him as the 40pt passer to two net drivers in JT and ER at .5 mil more than pylon Helm.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
    I don't want him as the 2c/LW we all wished he was and tried to force him to be at 3.5, I want him as the 40pt passer to two net drivers in JT and ER at .5 mil more than pylon Helm.

rather play Meyers on the 3rd line than Kerfoot

Bednar hated him when he was here, lets not forget the amount of times he was benched during games.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:33 p.m.
    rather play Meyers on the 3rd line than Kerfoot

Bednar hated him when he was here, lets not forget the amount of times he was benched during games.

Which I could never quite understand. He favored Jost and Jt. And bias aside, Kerfoot is the most skilled of the three. Defensively, Jt may have the edge. And, seriously Meyers - NHL hopeful over Kerfoot 50 pt NHLer?
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:45 p.m.
    Which I could never quite understand. He favored Jost and Jt. And bias aside, Kerfoot is the most skilled of the three. Defensively, Jt may have the edge. And, seriously Meyers - NHL hopeful over Kerfoot 50 pt NHLer?

Yes seriously meyers over kerfoot. Why burn assets and cap space on a guy we all know that does not work on the Avs,
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:50 p.m.
    Quoting: Xqb15a
    Been there, done that, don’t need to repeat with Kerfoot. Heart of lion, but softer than charmin, he’s what COL has morphed away from in their bottom 6.

Physical and Kerfer. Nope. not two words spoken often together. But I dug him, he is skilled, it would be cheap, and we have LOCs physical guys covered in the bottom six.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:55 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    "i'm not gonna read all that because i'm too busy repeating a dumb opinion that goes against every recent trend we've seen. teams will do this because reasons."

Lmao, just ignore the actual arg. Figures.
    Brevity is important. Learn how to use it.

I'm not convinced he will get traded but you watch, if it happens it will be exactly as I said it would. It almost always is
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
    Yes seriously meyers over kerfoot. Why burn assets and cap space on a guy we all know that does not work on the Avs,

I suppose it all depends on how you view the Kadz trade. You propose that we dumped Kerfoot on them and moved away from him. I see him as the only nhl ready forward we had in that age bracket that was actually performing well and had any value to be tacked on to Barrie.
    Logan_Ollivier liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
    Edited Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
    I suppose it all depends on how you view the Kadz trade. You propose that we dumped Kerfoot on them and moved away from him. I see him as the only nhl ready forward we had in that age bracket that was actually performing well and had any value to be tacked on to Barrie.

kadri trade is irrelevant to this roster, who cares about that trade back then
    This is now, and kerfoot still has the same issues, he has baggage with him attached to Bednar, and hes not a C, he is a LW who gets points when he plays up in the top 6.

avs dont need passenger players. You said you didnt understand why Bednar would play Jost or JT over kerfoot, its consistency. Bednar knows what he is getting out of Jost/JT every night, the floor baseline is established, coaches can deploy and plan around that,. Kerfoot would ghost out for too long for too many games being useless. Coaches do not like that
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
    kadri trade is irrelevant to this roster, who cares about that trade back then
    This is now, and kerfoot still has the same issues, he has baggage with him attached to Bednar, and hes not a C, he is a LW who gets points when he plays up in the top 6.

avs dont need passenger players

As you can see in the roster I know he is a Lw, We both know that the Avs have played him at 2C. He not is a 2c any more than JT is. But,I don't see him as a passenger player. I have never heard Bednar state that he has some issue, but if you are in the know... ok. And is a fantasy roster.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:11 p.m.
    As you can see in the roster I know he is a Lw, We both know that the Avs have played him at 2C. He is a 2c any more than JT is. But,I don't see him as a passenger player. I have never heard Bednar state that he has some issue, but if you are in the know... ok. And is a fantasy roster.

Bednar benching him late in games is the sign of his issues,
    Kerfoot is not consistent, Will score in bunches and then be invisible for multiple games on end. And its not just the production that would go invisible, he would not be as engaged, he would be just a warm body on the ice.

Not interested in that again
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:25 p.m.

I'm not convinced he will get traded but you watch, if it happens it will be exactly as I said it would. It almost always is

Somebody traded Patches for nothing because of cap. I'd say Pat>Kerf. And Im pretty sure that trade was before he injured himself.
    dannibalcorpse liked this.
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
    Just Keep Swimming
    Somebody traded Patches for nothing because of cap. I'd say Pat>Kerf. And Im pretty sure that trade was before he injured himself.

Different situations entirely. Vegas was screwed and they knew patches was injured to some extent. Toronto's cap situation has been overblown for years

Just wait and watch. It will be much more than CF people think (O/U is a 3rd round pick and I'm smashing that over)
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
    Bednar benching him late in games is the sign of his issues,
    Kerfoot is not consistent, Will score in bunches and then be invisible for multiple games on end. And its not just the production that would go invisible, he would not be as engaged, he would be just a warm body on the ice.

Not interested in that again

All very valid points. And the very same reasons that this will be JTs last year with the A crest. I haven't seen alot of Kerf in the last few years. His numbers overall are not amazing but not crap. I know skill wise when he was here was and still is better and more consistent than the anyone else on the once hopeful 2nd line of Kerf Jost Jt. I have had to deal with JTC at 1C in a pinch. I don't want either of them anywhere near the top 6. At full price no not good for the avs. But they were looking at Gally for only half of what is here. When was the last time an Avs 4th became anything? The Kadri trade is important because it defines on how they left the avs. Xnumber 9, he who shall be shamed, will never come back. We all know why. No drama here, unless there is some Bednar thing. I ve seen Beds bench so many people, game to game. Kerf, Jost , JT, LOC, Hook... Now if its Beds is every night giving him 5-8 mins like Kaut you know he is in trouble. I liked Kerf. Not very physical but good positioning most of the time. Good stick work but couldn't finish to save his life. Hence finishers. He can pass it to the right people. Realistic, the Avs are done until at least Nov/Dec
    Oct. 5, 2022 at 10:13 p.m.

He is the antithesis of what the Avs are looking for in their bottom 6. Like I said loved him, but he isn’t hard on the puck, you know he is going to lose every hard battle because of his size, and yeah he had 50pts one time with the Leafs feasting on assists but how’d that translate in the playoffs? 2pts in 7 games. Not worth it for the role he’d play in COL.
    Oct. 6, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
    we miss leo k

what actual argument am i ignoring? all you're saying is "insiders say" teams are interested. insiders also said Josh Anderson was getting traded for a 1st round pick, that Johnny Gaudreau was going anywhere but Columbus, and hundreds of other useless thoughts that are just filling out word counts on a blog.

try having an actual argument beyond "i think he's worth more and so do random insiders that i haven't sourced" before you tell someone they're not engaging with your argument pal

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll