How to get RD

Created by: Drsods17
Team: 2022-23 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2023
Published: Feb. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
OTT
  1. Klingberg, John ($3,490,000 retained)
Additional Details:
8 x 5.75 extension agreed to prior
ANA
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (OTT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$68,869,881$0$4,025,000$13,630,119
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
C
RFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$10,000$10,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 8

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:53 a.m.
I feel like with 50% retention and that deal in place, the Ducks could get a bit more than just a 2nd.
Salzy and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:00 a.m.
Sign Severson in the summer, will just cost you cash. Unless you're looking for a top guy
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.
Klingberg is just not what the Sens need. even remotely
Fergy22 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 8:39 a.m.
Pass (unless they can flip him right away for more?)

Quoting: emoprettyboy
Klingberg is just not what the Sens need. even remotely

Absolutely not

They need another Zub, ideally with more size (Carlo would be ideal but of course Bruins are not looking to trade him)
Fergy22 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:05 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Xspyrit
Pass (unless they can flip him right away for more?)

Absolutely not

They need another Zub, ideally with more size (Carlo would be ideal but of course Bruins are not looking to trade him)

You could
RS ontop of his RS
Swap him to TBL for Meyers and a 1st in 2025
Meyers buried Salary covers 2/3rd's of Klingberg's deal

RD problem potentially fixed on a gamble with Meyers but if not flip him next TDL
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:11 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
You could
RS ontop of his RS

RD problem potentially fixed on a gamble with Meyers but if not flip him next TDL

RS?

And Ben Meyers is a center who will be RFA
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
Lenny7
You could
RS ontop of his RS

Why wouldn't Anaheim simply do this? I'm assuming you're talking about Myers, not Meyers?
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Lenny7
Why wouldn't Anaheim simply do this? I'm assuming you're talking about Myers, not Meyers?

They would if you can explain how a single team RS twice within the confines of todays CBA and NHL/NHLPA rules?
I didnt think i'd have to state the obvious on this one to someone with your experience on this site
I mean Xsprit , yes i expect him to be to oblivious to understand the RD in TBL i mean was Myers with a typo not Meyers a Center on a team not being Discussed .
But Lenny7 you're usually quite logical
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:43 a.m.
Bring back Demelo in the summer. They need a solid defensive d men. A steady stay at home guy to play with Sanderson. Kinda like what Methot brought when playing with Karlsson.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:46 a.m.
Lenny7
They would if you can explain how a single team RS twice within the confines of todays CBA and NHL/NHLPA rules?
I didnt think i'd have to state the obvious on this one to someone with your experience on this site
I mean Xsprit , yes i expect him to be to oblivious to understand the RD in TBL i mean was Myers with a typo not Meyers a Center on a team not being Discussed .

I obviously understand that a team can't double retain on salary, but if you're thinking the difference between Klingberg at 50% and Klinberg at 25% is the same as the difference between a 2nd & 1st+Myers, then I want whatever you're smokin' my friend! Additional salary retention at the deadline has typically cost no more than a 4th round pick.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.

At first I was confused because I thought you wanted to talk about Myers in Vancouver lol but yeah, Ben Meyers was sarcasm

I didn't know RS was retained salary until I figured it out after. I didn't read your post correctly, could have put more effort into it and translate it to :

You could :

- Retain salary on top of his retention
- Swap him to TBL for Myers and a 1st in 2025
- Myers buried in the AHL covers 2/3rd's of Klingberg's deal

Got lazy
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Xspyrit
At first I was confused because I thought you wanted to talk about Myers in Vancouver lol but yeah, Ben Meyers was sarcasm

I didn't know RS was retained salary until I figured it out after. I didn't read your post correctly, could have put more effort into it and translate it to :

You could :

- Retain salary on top of his retention
- Swap him to TBL for Myers and a 1st in 2025
- Myers buried in the AHL covers 2/3rd's of Klingberg's deal

Got lazy

Fair Enough
So lets say ANA pays someone to RS , who's going to do it on their terms?

Reminds me of Scandella having a bad year and BUF took what they could get from MTL trading him but wouldnt Retain Salary so they were not cut in on the Profits.
MTL played him a little then RS and flipped him for their pick back and a 2nd round pick they flipped for a 2nd and 4th
Those players from Scandella became William Trudeau top AHL LD prospect , Oliver Kapanen SHL Pro and Team Captain of Finland and Sean Farrel top 10 in NCAA scoring since moving to Center after finishing 2nd to Slafkovsky in Olympics Scoring (in 3 less games )

All im suggesting is ANA be cut in on the Profits
While a 2nd round pick from OTT seems low they're a bottom team and that picks in a deep draft.
If it was a 2nd in a year or two when the rebuilds over then thats a different conversation but OTT holds the 43 pick OA this year and likely to drop after they sell off their veterans and flip Klingberg.

Meanwhile OTT would be getting a 1st round likely 30th-32nd overall moving up a possible 13 spots in the draft while taking Myers cap dump
Again Both Teams Profit pretty equally but ANA wouldnt get squat without OTT RS because if they dont flip him odds of their pick getting higher start to drop if Klingberg settles into OTT system

I get what you're saying , i just think you've decided that 13 spots difference in picks makes this deal one where ANA loses .
Another way to look at it is flipping Klingberg to a contender they're looking at a 60th-64th OA pick thats 17-21 picks difference .
No matter which was you slice it ANA RS to help OTT flip Klingberg for OTT's 2023 pick helps everyone
Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
Billy739
I obviously understand that a team can't double retain on salary, but if you're thinking the difference between Klingberg at 50% and Klinberg at 25% is the same as the difference between a 2nd & 1st+Myers, then I want whatever you're smokin' my friend! Additional salary retention at the deadline has typically cost no more than a 4th round pick.

Its sad Slander is acceptable on here.
IF you smoke thats your choice but its offensive to others to project those poor decisions onto others.
Ill talk real now and clearly with draft positions so you'll see what im saying as i think you heard it , it just didnt click yet.

OTT 2nd round pick currently 43rd overall is 13 spots different from the likely 30th-32nd overall pick a contender like TBL will likely produce.
IF OTT is selling its likely that 43rd Overall pick climbers into the top 40 if not higher but if they dont RS just trading Klingberg for a playoff run it could climb.
If you trade him to a contender they'll offer less and even if they didnt their 2nd round picks would be 60th-64th OA compared to OTT's 43rd .

In all Scenario's , ALL Scenrario's ANA ends up with the better pick by RS
The only Argument is should OTT get top pick over ANA ?
Yes because without OTT they're not likely getting a 2nd round pick at all given his cap hit vs production and how poor he's done since leaving DAL doesnt inspire confidence.

OTT is the one weaponizing their cap to move up in the draft a few spots
They have no dog in this race or motivation to see Klingberg on a contender unless paid
Given how few teams can Retain even their own salary there's next to none offering to do it for others , let alone do it cheap.
There's no real arguement for ANA getting more because as is they're already getting more from OTT then most would pay for Klingberg at that cap.
The picks Klingberg is worth wont buy you what OTT is offering on draft day or any other time .
But OTT has to be allowed to profit moving up from their 43rd this year to a potential 30th-32nd in 2 years time , that is just fair
Feb. 9, 2023 at 12:03 p.m.
Lenny7
Its sad Slander is acceptable on here.
IF you smoke thats your choice but its offensive to others to project those poor decisions onto others.
Ill talk real now and clearly with draft positions so you'll see what im saying as i think you heard it , it just didnt click yet.

I just decided to respond to everything here in bold so that you didn't think that nothing was sinking in. My apologies if my reference to smoking when referencing your "interesting" opinion offended you. It wasn't meant to. To think that this was "slander", after you tossed a couple of backhanded compliments my way is a bit of stretch. Perhaps both of us were just lost in translation?

OTT 2nd round pick currently 43rd overall is 13 spots different from the likely 30th-32nd overall pick a contender like TBL will likely produce. The 2025 draft is 3 drafts down the road. To think that your crystal ball can see that far in advance is wacky. Anaheim is, and has been playing the long game.
IF OTT is selling its likely that 43rd Overall pick climbers into the top 40 if not higher but if they dont RS just trading Klingberg for a playoff run it could climb. Klingber doesn't currently play on the Sens. Flipping him doesn't affect where the Sens are in the standings. Regardless, if the Sens DO sell other pieces, they're all pretty mid. Consider that every team below them will be selling as well-The likelihood of them suddenly plummetting down the standings is pretty low.
If you trade him to a contender they'll offer less and even if they didnt their 2nd round picks would be 60th-64th OA compared to OTT's 43rd . The price for double retention over the past 2-3 years has been pretty steady at a 4th round pick. What you're trying to say here is that the best offer at $3.5 is 60th-64, but by simply retaining an extra $1.75 mil (Which *roughly* equals about $400 k total), you're suddenly getting a 1st?

In all Scenario's , ALL Scenrario's ANA ends up with the better pick by RS They don't.
The only Argument is should OTT get top pick over ANA ? No, that's ridiculous. The Sens are eating $400 k.
Yes because without OTT they're not likely getting a 2nd round pick at all given his cap hit vs production and how poor he's done since leaving DAL doesnt inspire confidence. This is such a ridiculous argument. If you don't think he's worth a 2nd, then why are you trying to turn it into a 1st?!?!?!

OTT is the one weaponizing their cap to move up in the draft a few spots Anaheim is actually weaponizing their cap space here. Ottawa is eating $400 k, which, again, has been worth a 4th round pick in the past.
They have no dog in this race or motivation to see Klingberg on a contender unless paid The price for double retention, in the past, has been a 4th round pick. If Ottawa doesn't wish to be a part of this trade, they can simply not be a part of this trade.
Given how few teams can Retain even their own salary there's next to none offering to do it for others , let alone do it cheap. There are currently at least 5 other teams that can also retain. This argument was made by many people last year, yet it still happened.
There's no real arguement for ANA getting more because as is they're already getting more from OTT then most would pay for Klingberg at that cap. Last season Ben Chiarot was the worst defenceman in the NHL by analytics. He netted your Habs a 1st+4th+prospect. Nick Leddy, also not good, netted a 2nd. Josh Manson, also not an analytical beauty, netted a 2nd and good prospect.
The picks Klingberg is worth wont buy you what OTT is offering on draft day or any other time .If 44 OA is the best offer, then great! But in this scenario that you've created, it's absolutely not. The better pick is the 1st rounder in 2025.
But OTT has to be allowed to profit moving up from their 43rd this year to a potential 30th-32nd in 2 years time , that is just fair No it's not...again with the "Tampa will pick 30-32nd in 2025!" argument. To think that the large number of "Up and coming" teams in the East aren't going to catch/surpass them is nuts.

To conclude, if anyone in the entire universe thought that a mid 2nd round pick was more valuable than a 1st round pick, no matter what the year, we'd likely have seen some sort of game changiing strategy by GM's out there trading their 2nds for 1sts a couple of years down the road. But, this isn't a video game, so it hasn't happened.

Cheers.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
Billy739

Teams make trades to move up spots in the draft all the time.
2nd round pick to 1st with a cap dump isnt an every year thing but it happens and did actually last year.

Mrazek and 1st for 2nd happened just this last year
Myers and a 1st for a 2nd one spot earlier
Moving up in the draft happens more then you'd think outside the top 20 -25 picks
Inside the top 25 its way trickier for sure but outside not to much especially when dumping contracts
Whats rare is the team dumping contracts get anything of value back let alone a roster player.

Thanks for bringing up Manson i can prove my point using your example now.
Like they did Manson who without RS was at 4m had no offer of 2nd round pick or offers really
Then ANA's GM deal Manson for the dead last pick in the 2nd round after RS of 50%

The same guys who dealt Manson is suppose to get a better return or even the same with Klingberg at his cap hit even at 50% RS?
There's just no way possible a 3.5m player with his numbers is having a Playoff team eliminate a player for him .
There's only 8 teams with 2m or more cap in the free and clear with 2 of those being in the playoffs in WPG and MIN which i think dont need Klingberg especially at that cost.

Unless Letang or someone gets injured i just dont see any NHL team being in the position to take him .
There's a few cap dump idea's like i was trying to explore with TBL but given your response to my initial try to suggest that i'll avoid them.

That or someone making a David Savard type deal with double RS where his team gets way overpaid as no one thought or thinks David was worth a 1st , 3rd and 4th that TBL gave up to DET and CBJ for him but because his production was much higher 1.06/4.25m cap hit he had after DET RS the 2nd time he was overpaid like it. Cap vs Production matters and 3.5 for Klingberg is like 5m for Gallagher , sure you save a lot but its still way too much for anyone to consider a value they'd pay for yet alone overpay for.

Then again like Chairot maybe a coaching change in your last 20 games and being switched to RD will spark offense and Klingberg will be 9pts in his last 9 games provoking someone to overpay for him too. Chiarot stepped up to earn MTL that pick but until that point under Ducharme we'd have been lucky to get a 2nd round pick .

I used examples and gave context so people could clearly understand.
I didnt mix my response's into someone else quote trying to blur the lines of put words in their mouth taking advantage of the confusion.
I spoke plainly and direct inviting you to do the same
Feed me some more of those Manson examples i can use
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
Lenny7

Teams make trades to move up spots in the draft all the time.
2nd round pick to 1st with a cap dump isnt an every year thing but it happens and did actually last year.

Mrazek and 1st for 2nd happened just this last year
Myers and a 1st for a 2nd one spot earlier
Moving up in the draft happens more then you'd think outside the top 20 -25 picks
Inside the top 25 its way trickier for sure but outside not to much especially when dumping contracts
Whats rare is the team dumping contracts get anything of value back let alone a roster player.

Thanks for bringing up Manson i can prove my point using your example now.
Like they did Manson who without RS was at 4m had no offer of 2nd round pick or offers really
Then ANA's GM deal Manson for the dead last pick in the 2nd round after RS of 50%

The same guys who dealt Manson is suppose to get a better return or even the same with Klingberg at his cap hit even at 50% RS?
There's just no way possible a 3.5m player with his numbers is having a Playoff team eliminate a player for him .
There's only 8 teams with 2m or more cap in the free and clear with 2 of those being in the playoffs in WPG and MIN which i think dont need Klingberg especially at that cost.

Unless Letang or someone gets injured i just dont see any NHL team being in the position to take him .
There's a few cap dump idea's like i was trying to explore with TBL but given your response to my initial try to suggest that i'll avoid them.

That or someone making a David Savard type deal with double RS where his team gets way overpaid as no one thought or thinks David was worth a 1st , 3rd and 4th that TBL gave up to DET and CBJ for him but because his production was much higher 1.06/4.25m cap hit he had after DET RS the 2nd time he was overpaid like it. Cap vs Production matters and 3.5 for Klingberg is like 5m for Gallagher , sure you save a lot but its still way too much for anyone to consider a value they'd pay for yet alone overpay for.

Then again like Chairot maybe a coaching change in your last 20 games and being switched to RD will spark offense and Klingberg will be 9pts in his last 9 games provoking someone to overpay for him too. Chiarot stepped up to earn MTL that pick but until that point under Ducharme we'd have been lucky to get a 2nd round pick .

I used examples and gave context so people could clearly understand.
I didnt mix my response's into someone else quote trying to blur the lines of put words in their mouth taking advantage of the confusion.
I spoke plainly and direct inviting you to do the same
Feed me some more of those Manson examples i can use

Was just a lot easier to go point by point instead of trying to make a giant word salad...not sure why that's an issue for you, but I can seperate it if you'd like?

Here goes:
-Your examples of teams moving a 2nd to get a 1st include cap dumps. There is no cap being dumped here. There's a (Very) simple 25% being retained, which you continue to ignore, has cost no more than a 4th round pick in the past. Myers being moved affected the following years cap. Mrazek being moved involved moving 2 years worth of cap. Both of those things are far more valuable than facilitating 2 months worth of a deal. Both of these deals also showed that moving cap isn't as expensive as it has been in the past. So, if you're thinking that eating 25% of a contract for a couple of months is equivalent to eating $8.6 million in salary over the next two years, I don't know what to tell you.
-I'm not sure why you're talking about "moving up in the draft". None of this had anything to do with moving up in the draft, aside from you believing that a mid 2nd and 25% retention for a couple of months is worth a 1st round pick. It has historically been worth a 4th or less.
-Josh Manson...oh man, the fact that you're going to try and use him against me is possibly the greatest insult to a Ducks fan that there possibly is. Look up the trade. What else came with that 2nd round pick?
Hint: He's now one of the Ducks top RD prospects...Don't try to pull that one over on me man tears of joy Anaheim got exactly what they needed out of that deal, as did Colorado.
-Here's where we get to the "I don't see any NHL team being in the position to take him" part (It was easier to just go point by point, but you weren't into it, so this continues...): Anaheim is in the enviable position of being a seller that has $61.344 mil in deadline cap space (!!!). Skipping completely over the fact that Anaheim can actually take on a significant amount of salary in any deal is an extremely warped way to try to push your point.
-I appreciate the heck out of you for bringing up the David Savard trade, because it further pushed the point that 3rd party retention has historically cost teams a 4th round pick to do.
-Klingberg has 4 pts in his last 3, so maybe we're heading in that direction.

The absolute snark that you've been giving off here has been hilarious. Cheers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll