Forums/Armchair-GM

The Rangers are in serious trouble of an offer sheet

Created by: KDev
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 9, 2023
Published: Feb. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let me preface this by saying 1. I think the Rangers will figure out a way to get all their RFAs signed and 2. This is mainly to see how at risk the Rangers are of an offer sheet. I am also assuming the cap only goes up 1 mil to 83,500,000

The Rangers have 3 big RFAs looking for raises next year in Chytil, Miller and Laf. Along with other guys like Zac Jones, Kravtsov, and Gauthier. With so much money tied into large contracts with no movement clauses the money will be very tight. If I am the rangers my #1 priority is getting Miller signed long term. Kid is a stud and I think a bridge deal will be a mistake for the org because he will only demand even more. This should be the focus to start.

Next it’s Chytil who is looking like a legit 2nd line center. I don’t see anyway they can fit him long term pending a trade of one of the big contracts so they can bridge him up until his last RFA year at 4.

That leaves Laf. The Rangers still have other roster spots to fill out. They need a backup goalie and extra skaters as well as their other RFAs. Because of this, Laf is a serious offer sheet possibility. A team could offer him a 4.2x1 deal which only costs a 2nd round pick and the rangers will already struggle to get that to work.
They could buy out Goodrow who saves them around 3 mil for the next 3 seasons but that buyout will be on the books for 8 years. They might be able to move him if they add a 1st round pick with him but that’s tough to think about. They just named Trouba captain this year, he’s not moveing. Krieder could move but he also has a full NTC. Same with Panarain, Ziba and Trocheck.

With all that said it looks likely that one of the young guns in Rangers town will be on their way out regardless if they get traded or offer sheeted. There’s just no room to fit them all unless they all take bridge deals which honestly kind of just delays the issue. Not a Rangers fan so I’m curious to know if there is something I’m missing here.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,100,000
3$4,000,000
7$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$83,632,916$610,892$932,500-$132,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW
RFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$766,667$766,667
C
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 2
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
LW
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA
$787,500$787,500
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:53 a.m.
LafreneiretoKravtsov
Whos got the cap space?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: Josh
Whos got the cap space?

Buffalo, Jersey, Anaheim, Detroit, Arizona, Chicago.. plenty of teams.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
LafreneiretoKravtsov
Quoting: KDev

You know the player has to sign the offer sheet, right?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
You know the player has to sign the offer sheet, right?

Well aware buddy
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
Rangers will be an interesting team at the deadline and offseason

Threat could be eliminated depending if they invest in a Patrick Kane move but then he would eat up even more cap space bc assume he’s waiving to extend there

Chytil is the most interesting offersheet canadiate and probably most likely to consider signing one bc how the top 6 cs are locked in

I can see him bejng moved in the offseason for a nice return
KDev liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
NYR27
There is obviously always a possibility of this happening, however I think a team would have to really "overpay" for the Rangers not to match. I think even with a longer-term deal, I don't think Miller with make quite that much. I could see more of a 5-7 year deal at 6-6.5 million. Chytil will likely get a bridge deal similar to what you put here, maybe a touch higher AAV. I agree Laf is the x-factor and the most likely candidate for an offer sheet. I think at that value, the Rangers would find a way to match it.

I feel like the mentality has to be somehow getting these players signed until 26-27 season, then the expensive contracts start coming off. Im curious if they will try and use the LTIR loophole as well.
KDev liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
Lenny7
"If I am the rangers my #1 priority is getting Miller signed long term. Kid is a stud and I think a bridge deal will be a mistake for the org because he will only demand even more. This should be the focus to start."

I completely respect your thought here, but disagree with it wholeheartedly. If the goal is to continue to improve the team, as well as protect from potential OS's, and you have limited cap space, you take advantage of potential lower AAV contracts as long as you can. Bridge him for 3 x $4 (possibly slightly less...using Dobson as a comp here, and Dobson has been more productive...). You've got 5 more years of control over him. By the time those 3 years are up, Panarin's contract expires, the cap skyrockets (hopefully?), and you deal with it at that point.

You're capped out with a 20 man roster...you absolutely need the extra $3 mil that can easily be created.
Devil, Josh and KDev liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: coga16
Rangers will be an interesting team at the deadline and offseason

Chytil is the most interesting offersheet canadiate and probably most likely to consider signing one bc how the top 6 cs are locked in

I can see him bejng moved in the offseason for a nice return

Chytil would be some pretty solid insurance down the middle for you fine Avs folks...
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:43 a.m.
There's no way they move Chytil. They're all staying. It's going to be fine.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
KDev. I think you are correct about the offer sheet. Rangers could be exposed. Too often on CF we see offer sheets for high end players....which means UFA cap and then the picks as compensation.
But a better offer sheet would be for mid range players. For instance a 4.2m for X 3 for LAF...would cost a second rounder, and could the Rangers match? (of course LAF has to sign it)

Last summer/fall the Leafs got very lucky that no team offers sheeted Sandin. He had to settle for a 1.4m X 2 deal from the cap strapped Leafs. Gee, a 4m X 3 years offer sheet would have been a bargain for some team.
KDev and vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:38 a.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
Chytil would be some pretty solid insurance down the middle for you fine Avs folks...

I’ve been a big fan of his, and I agree, he would be a worh while trade target, what is his value? 2023 1st + what?
Feb. 9, 2023 at 1:23 p.m.
Whos got the cap space?

Quoting: KDev

Quoting: saysthemachine
There's no way they move Chytil. They're all staying. It's going to be fine.

WSH potentially will have the cap space in the offseason as well (Mantha potentially gone; Oshie potentially LTIRetire). They are also in desperate need of younger players...

Recent report is that Chytil is going to price himself out of NYR...you guys are in a tough position...Good thing you guys gave Trouba $8m lolol
Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
So right now Laf and Miller are Group 1 RFAs until July 1 (remember they are coming off their ELC), which means they are ineligible for an offer sheet until that time. Since QO's are due by June 25th, NYR should make it a priority to nail down contracts on both players before the threat of any offer sheets. Miller should get the Slavin contract (7yr x 5.3M), Laf gets the Kakko bridge (2yr x 2.1M). Problem solved there.

At that point, Chytil is the only player at risk of an offer sheet. Anything below 4.2M, NYR will take immediately. Remember that NYR has over 16M in cap space for signings next year. Will the Miller and Laf signings above, they will have no issues matching an offer below the 4.2M threshold. If a team offers Chytil anything below 6M, NYR likely takes the contract. If a team offers over 6.3M, NYR should probably take the 3 compensatory picks. I think the only debate in NYR's camp would be an offer around 6-6.2M with term.

Also, recall that NYR is not afraid to buyout players. They do it all the time. Trouba will not likely get traded (due to his contract status, not his captaincy), but he can get bought out. Goodrow, on the other hand is not an immovable contract at all. Check his stats. He has had career years each year he's been with NYR. He still has positive value even with his current deal despite what people on this site seem to think.
KDev liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Quoting: valiqs
So right now Laf and Miller are Group 1 RFAs until July 1 (remember they are coming off their ELC), which means they are ineligible for an offer sheet until that time. Since QO's are due by June 25th, NYR should make it a priority to nail down contracts on both players before the threat of any offer sheets. Miller should get the Slavin contract (7yr x 5.3M), Laf gets the Kakko bridge (2yr x 2.1M). Problem solved there.

At that point, Chytil is the only player at risk of an offer sheet. Anything below 4.2M, NYR will take immediately. Remember that NYR has over 16M in cap space for signings next year. Will the Miller and Laf signings above, they will have no issues matching an offer below the 4.2M threshold. If a team offers Chytil anything below 6M, NYR likely takes the contract. If a team offers over 6.3M, NYR should probably take the 3 compensatory picks. I think the only debate in NYR's camp would be an offer around 6-6.2M with term.

Also, recall that NYR is not afraid to buyout players. They do it all the time. Trouba will not likely get traded (due to his contract status, not his captaincy), but he can get bought out. Goodrow, on the other hand is not an immovable contract at all. Check his stats. He has had career years each year he's been with NYR. He still has positive value even with his current deal despite what people on this site seem to think.

Also, just want to add a few things:

- Several teams don't have the compensatory picks to offer over 4.2M = COL, EDM, FLA, OTT, TBL, and TOR
- Several teams are just starting their rebuild years so having Chytil as a prime 2C during re-build years is not going to help = ANA, ARI, CHI, CBJ, PHI, STL, VAN and SJS
- Several teams have a long term or burgeoning 1/2C combo already = BUF, CAL, DAL, MTL, NJD, PIT, SEA, WSH, VGK, and WPG
- Several teams have a worse cap outlook for next season than NYR (so no cap leverage) = LAK, NYI, NSH, and MIN

This leave us with BOS, CAR, and DET with the picks, a 2C need, not in a full re-build, and with cap leverage.

- BOS cannot offer over 6.2M since they don't have the compensatory picks. Also, they have priorities with Pasta and Swayman, who both have earned raises. Makes it tricky for them to navigate a deal NYR won't match and also not put them in a future cap crunch.
- DET would be silly to offer sheet Chytil IF they re-sign Dylan Larkin. Right now, Larkin is a better player and Chytil's ceiling may not be that high. That would give them Larkin/Copp as a long term 1/2C pair, which is strong going forward and then they don't need Chytil on an overvalue offer sheet contract.
- CAR is the one to worry about. I think Chytil would pair perfectly with Necas and Svechnikov on the 2nd pair. My concern would be CAR getting burned by the KK offer sheet. They may be wary about such decisions in the future. Also, NYR MIGHT still match any contract below the the 3 compensatory picks needed to get Chytil, which is a hefty cap and pick price to pay.
vikhodush and KDev liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.

Also, just want to add a few things:

- Several teams don't have the compensatory picks to offer over 4.2M = COL, EDM, FLA, OTT, TBL, and TOR
- Several teams are just starting their rebuild years so having Chytil as a prime 2C during re-build years is not going to help = ANA, ARI, CHI, CBJ, PHI, STL, VAN and SJS
- Several teams have a long term or burgeoning 1/2C combo already = BUF, CAL, DAL, MTL, NJD, PIT, SEA, WSH, VGK, and WPG
- Several teams have a worse cap outlook for next season than NYR (so no cap leverage) = LAK, NYI, NSH, and MIN

This leave us with BOS, CAR, and DET with the picks, a 2C need, not in a full re-build, and with cap leverage.

- BOS cannot offer over 6.2M since they don't have the compensatory picks. Also, they have priorities with Pasta and Swayman, who both have earned raises. Makes it tricky for them to navigate a deal NYR won't match and also not put them in a future cap crunch.
- DET would be silly to offer sheet Chytil IF they re-sign Dylan Larkin. Right now, Larkin is a better player and Chytil's ceiling may not be that high. That would give them Larkin/Copp as a long term 1/2C pair, which is strong going forward and then they don't need Chytil on an overvalue offer sheet contract.
- CAR is the one to worry about. I think Chytil would pair perfectly with Necas and Svechnikov on the 2nd pair. My concern would be CAR getting burned by the KK offer sheet. They may be wary about such decisions in the future. Also, NYR MIGHT still match any contract below the the 3 compensatory picks needed to get Chytil, which is a hefty cap and pick price to pay.

I appreciate how well thought out the original post was and your responses, really good stuff.

I think the way a team could get at the rangers assuming they don’t get the Miller and Laf signed ahead of the OS timeline would be to send an uncomfortable OS at Laf that the rangers sign and then follow that up with a much harder one for Chytil once they’ve been put up against it with Laf. Not sure if this is realistic or feasible but that’s how I would conceptually go after it.

I was waiting for you to get to the Canes as a potential option here. They’ve already shown they’re willing to go that route and the need is there. They’ve maintained cap flexibility even as they’ve moved to contender status and even though they’re going to be due some raises for their core I think they still have plenty of flexibility for a move like this while also not putting a target on their back. It’s true KK hasn’t become what we wanted yet, but at the same time he’s seen as an easy Staal replacement at 3C whenever Staal hangs them up with a small potential remaining to become the 2C we all hoped he’d turn into. I don’t think that’ll deter them from making a move like this for Chytil if it came down to it though.
valiqs and KDev liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:32 p.m.
Quoting: vikhodush
I appreciate how well thought out the original post was and your responses, really good stuff.

I think the way a team could get at the rangers assuming they don’t get the Miller and Laf signed ahead of the OS timeline would be to send an uncomfortable OS at Laf that the rangers sign and then follow that up with a much harder one for Chytil once they’ve been put up against it with Laf. Not sure if this is realistic or feasible but that’s how I would conceptually go after it.

I was waiting for you to get to the Canes as a potential option here. They’ve already shown they’re willing to go that route and the need is there. They’ve maintained cap flexibility even as they’ve moved to contender status and even though they’re going to be due some raises for their core I think they still have plenty of flexibility for a move like this while also not putting a target on their back. It’s true KK hasn’t become what we wanted yet, but at the same time he’s seen as an easy Staal replacement at 3C whenever Staal hangs them up with a small potential remaining to become the 2C we all hoped he’d turn into. I don’t think that’ll deter them from making a move like this for Chytil if it came down to it though.

Thanks. NYR is my number 1 team by far, but CAR is actually my wife's team so I follow them pretty closely too. We're going to the stadium series next week to watch the Canes blow the Caps out of the water. Gunna be fun.

Also, I would say you are mostly correct. The Canes front office/coaching is absolutely master class at cap management. They go HARD after a guy they want while also being ready to walk away from players at the right time. And they do all that while putting a contender on the ice. I've watched it for a few years now and all I can say is, "Bravo. Keep it up." This is why it's imperative for NYR to not be slow on their RFA deals this year unless they want to risk a situation that you mentioned. In that case, you either let one guy go and take the picks, go the buyout route and pay for the dead cap later on, or figure out a creative trade where maybe you give up a few more future assets than you should to make sure your young guys stay.

However, I'm not sure anyone would really want to risk giving Laf a juicy one-year contract. If you offer Laf something like 4.2M for 1 year, his QO the next year would be over 5M. If Laf doesn't take steps, that deal is a pretty big albatross, so he'd become a UFA. Also, even Laf would know this and maybe not sign that deal. If you were him, would you risk one-year at 4.2M on a 'bet-on-yourself' deal knowing his past play (which has been okay, but not exactly sterling) or take a 2-year bridge to try to build your skills/resume to a long term, high value contract? Now if some team offers him 4.2M for 7 years, I think NYR says, "take him and good luck with you 3rd line LW making as much as a 2C." It would be a VERY interesting day, if an OS happens, though.

Finally, the one thing I will give a small push back on is that I don't think ANY player can really replace Jordan Staal at 3C. He's one of the best 3C's I've ever seen. That role is just so perfect for him that I don't think you can just slot any C into it and expect similar results. He provides a differentiation of skill from every other C on the team that forces opponents to game plan against him where they wouldn't need to focus on his size/faceoff/defensive prowess if it were just Aho/KK/Stastny/Stepan. If I were CAR, I'd consider re-signing him, just at less than he makes now. Say, 3.5M for 2 years. You get a perfect role player back, his leadership, the fans get to keep their captain, you gain 2M in net cap space, and you likely get a contract you can easily trade at the TDL in 2025.
vikhodush liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:23 a.m.
Thanks. NYR is my number 1 team by far, but CAR is actually my wife's team so I follow them pretty closely too. We're going to the stadium series next week to watch the Canes blow the Caps out of the water. Gunna be fun.

Also, I would say you are mostly correct. The Canes front office/coaching is absolutely master class at cap management. They go HARD after a guy they want while also being ready to walk away from players at the right time. And they do all that while putting a contender on the ice. I've watched it for a few years now and all I can say is, "Bravo. Keep it up." This is why it's imperative for NYR to not be slow on their RFA deals this year unless they want to risk a situation that you mentioned. In that case, you either let one guy go and take the picks, go the buyout route and pay for the dead cap later on, or figure out a creative trade where maybe you give up a few more future assets than you should to make sure your young guys stay.

However, I'm not sure anyone would really want to risk giving Laf a juicy one-year contract. If you offer Laf something like 4.2M for 1 year, his QO the next year would be over 5M. If Laf doesn't take steps, that deal is a pretty big albatross, so he'd become a UFA. Also, even Laf would know this and maybe not sign that deal. If you were him, would you risk one-year at 4.2M on a 'bet-on-yourself' deal knowing his past play (which has been okay, but not exactly sterling) or take a 2-year bridge to try to build your skills/resume to a long term, high value contract? Now if some team offers him 4.2M for 7 years, I think NYR says, "take him and good luck with you 3rd line LW making as much as a 2C." It would be a VERY interesting day, if an OS happens, though.

Finally, the one thing I will give a small push back on is that I don't think ANY player can really replace Jordan Staal at 3C. He's one of the best 3C's I've ever seen. That role is just so perfect for him that I don't think you can just slot any C into it and expect similar results. He provides a differentiation of skill from every other C on the team that forces opponents to game plan against him where they wouldn't need to focus on his size/faceoff/defensive prowess if it were just Aho/KK/Stastny/Stepan. If I were CAR, I'd consider re-signing him, just at less than he makes now. Say, 3.5M for 2 years. You get a perfect role player back, his leadership, the fans get to keep their captain, you gain 2M in net cap space, and you likely get a contract you can easily trade at the TDL in 2025.

Spot on once again. We’ll be at the outdoor game too and can’t wait!

Your counterpoint on Laf makes a lot of sense. So many interesting ways it could play out honestly.

With Staal, both he and the team have essentially said they’ll keep doing short term deals as long as he wants to play. He’s been through some personal family stuff the last two years which is the only reason I think he’ll end up doing one year deals from here on out but I’m hoping he’s got a couple years left in him. Totally agree on his skill set and really he’s an extension of RBA in the room and on the ice. Perfect fit for this team.

I more so meant that KKs floor long term is 3C. He isn’t the same player as Staal but he’s also very strong defensively, great in the circle, has really good vision and drives play pretty well despite not scoring at the rate you’d want. While I love Staal at 3C I’ll also be happy with KK filling that role when the time comes.
valiqs liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll