Forums/NHL Trades

(STL/NYR) - Tarasenko, Mikkola for Blais, Skinner, 1st, 4th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:05 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: jpsnow13
What are you talking about? Vancouver got a midround 1st and an A"ish" prospect in Rati.

STL got a end of round 1st. Half of Hagel's return LOL

First, Rati is an A tier prospect, he could have easily gone 1rst but an off season caused him to go in the 2nd round. Second, Blais is another A tier prospect which equates the value. Skinner is another prospect instead of Beaulivier and the 4rth was for Mikkola.

Obviously Tarasenko wasn't going to get Horvat's package but this is still a pretty good haul for tarasenko nonetheless. The Hagel trade was a stupid trade on Brisebois' part and shows how much better of a GM Yzerman is compared to Brisebois
Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:07 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: justaBoss
Rags takes the W here, but given the circumstances with Tarasenko I think STL did maximize the return they could get.

Still funny that Rangers ended up paying less for Tarasenko than Leafs paid for Nick Foligno.

WDYM????? Blais is so much better than a fourth round pick????
Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
Nah.
It feels like STL is getting a lot of flack for this trade, but even if it practically amounts to a 1st and a 3rd for VT, I think this was a smart trade. I think there was a benefit to them getting ahead of the market and making this move now, before assets started to slim out during TDL.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:24 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Leafsfan98
WDYM????? Blais is so much better than a fourth round pick????

Blais and Mikkola cut each other out. That leaves a 1st and 4th. Skinner is an ECHL player and just even out contracts.

TOR paid 1st and two fourths for Foligno in total.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Blais and Mikkola cut each other out. That leaves a 1st and 4th. Skinner is an ECHL player and just even out contracts.

TOR paid 1st and two fourths for Foligno in total.

Foligno and Noesen which equated to 1 first and 1 fourth. In addition, there's no way Blais has equal value to Mikkola, The fourth and Mikkola cut each other out here
Feb. 10, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
What in tarnation
Foligno and Noesen which equated to 1 first and 1 fourth. In addition, there's no way Blais has equal value to Mikkola, The fourth and Mikkola cut each other out here

Noesen played for one game for the Leafs, he was tantamount to nothing. Blais hasn't scored a single goal in NHL for two years now, he's barely NHL level at this stage. Mikkola at least is a NHL level D-man, although a fringe one at that.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 11:15 a.m.
You know nothing JS
First, Rati is an A tier prospect, he could have easily gone 1rst but an off season caused him to go in the 2nd round. Second, Blais is another A tier prospect which equates the value. Skinner is another prospect instead of Beaulivier and the 4rth was for Mikkola.

Obviously Tarasenko wasn't going to get Horvat's package but this is still a pretty good haul for tarasenko nonetheless. The Hagel trade was a stupid trade on Brisebois' part and shows how much better of a GM Yzerman is compared to Brisebois

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blais is a soon to be 27 y.o. free agent
Skinner is in ECHL

Are YOU a prospect? Apparently, everybody is!
Feb. 10, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Edited Feb. 10, 2023 at 11:38 a.m.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blais is a soon to be 27 y.o. free agent
Skinner is in ECHL

Are YOU a prospect? Apparently, everybody is!

Ok fine, Blais is still young for a forward and is getting minutes in NYR whereas in STL, he'll still develop in a much larger role. Skinner is an AHL player that just got sent down whom is still 21 years old who played for the U20 US national team. According to your logic, everybody can do that
Feb. 10, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Noesen played for one game for the Leafs, he was tantamount to nothing. Blais hasn't scored a single goal in NHL for two years now, he's barely NHL level at this stage. Mikkola at least is a NHL level D-man, although a fringe one at that.

Just because Blais hasn't scored a goal, doesn't mean he isn't valuable. Also, Noesen was still an asset in that foligno trade and would have costed a 4rth, whether he played for the Leafs or not. Where exactly is Mikkola going to play in the rangers system anyways?
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
What in tarnation
Just because Blais hasn't scored a goal, doesn't mean he isn't valuable. Also, Noesen was still an asset in that foligno trade and would have costed a 4rth, whether he played for the Leafs or not. Where exactly is Mikkola going to play in the rangers system anyways?

I gotta disagree. If Blais don't produce, he's simply put not valuable. He played for the Rags a total of 54 games, spent injured majority of the time and did not score a single goal for them. Blais is a potential rebound pickup for STL who used to be decent for them, but in this trade for the Rangers the only purpose he served was cap balancing.

Mikkola's playing 3rd pair, most likely. They created space for him by waiving Hajek.

Also, if Noesen cost them a fourth and brought them nothing, that's just terrible asset management for them in the end.

Personally speaking I think the fourth was spent to shed the remaining half of Foligno's cap, and Noesen was simply added so that Sharks would shed the 700k Noesen did cost, with Leafs getting themselves a "depth 15th forward".
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.

Blais just spent a couple weeks in Hartford on a conditioning stint after being a healthy scratch a bunch, he just has not worked in NYR at all (I'm willing to blame the major injury for some of that). Mikkola is playing 3LD tonight and has a decent shot at staying there, he only has to beat out Harpur at this point.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 12:36 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Seems pretty fair, but probably the ranger won.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Ok fine, Blais is still young for a forward and is getting minutes in NYR whereas in STL, he'll still develop in a much larger role. Skinner is an AHL player that just got sent down whom is still 21 years old who played for the U20 US national team. According to your logic, everybody can do that

"It's a good trade because an ECHL player is more talented than most people" is some of the biggest mental gymnastics I have ever seen here.

Bye
Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
"It's a good trade because an ECHL player is more talented than most people" is some of the biggest mental gymnastics I have ever seen here.

Bye

Skinner is an AHL player that just got sent down whom is still 21 years old who played for the U20 US national team. According to your logic, everybody can do that
Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
NYR is all in. That 1st is going to be very low. Same value as a high 2nd.

Good luck to Carolina and NJ to make it to the conference's final.

I still think Carolina is the better team overall. With the goalie advantage though rangers certainly have a good chance at beating em
Feb. 10, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.

Blais is not a prospect and definitely not an a anything. He's a 26 year old fourth liner (a year older than beuavillier)
Feb. 10, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Evans truther
For me you never lose a trade when you send a -to be- UFA you're not re-signing. I feel like everyone's reacting as if this trade happened years ago, short after his back to back 33 goals season when the rumours of his change of scenery started. He's decent but its a coin toss for the Rangers, are you gonna get the 80 points guy from last year or the injury riddled guy from 3 of the last 4 years?

All in all I like it for both sides and I can't wait to see the sucker that'll throw buckets of money to him this summer.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Wangers
Feb. 10, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
The Hagel trade was a stupid trade on Brisebois' part and shows how much better of a GM Yzerman is compared to Brisebois

You can't compare this trade with the Hagel trade. Hagel was traded at the deadline, but he wasn't a rental. He had 21 goals in 55 games at the time of the trade and was signed for two more years at $1.5M, after which he'll still be a RFA. It's the contract, and to a lesser extent his age, that made him so valuable. In a league with a hard salary cap, the most valuable player is one who's playing significantly above his cap hit. Brisebois understands that.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Tarasenko is a 31 year old playing like a 36 year old. Which ever team signs him to a 1st line star contract as an Ufa will regret it, unless it's like D. Perron size.

That's why I think this is strictly a rental. I suspect they have no intention of trying to extend him, unless he likes it there so much he's willing to sign for less than market value.

His next contract will depend on how well he plays over the next few months. I don't see him getting more than 2 or 3 years term, but stranger things have happened.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: majormoose007
Remember when Seattle could've had Tarasenko for free

Yes, but they got Vince Dunn instead so I don’t think they’re complaining
Feb. 10, 2023 at 6:34 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: mokumboi
This poll is ****ing hilarious. Like two years of hordes swearing to me that Tarasenko wasn't worth a 23 1st, he's not getting a 23 1st, I'm a stupid homer for dreaming he'll get a 23 1st, he's cooked, he's toast, he's brittle, he's overrated, forget about the damn 23 1st already, ya dummy!!

Fast forward to present day: Tarasenko gets a 23 1st+ = The Rangers fleeced the Blues!!!! Dumb dumb Blues, trading away that scoring star for just a 23 1st+!!!

Glorious.

To be fair, most people agreed Tarasenko would get a 23 first from anything I saw. Only a handful of idiots didn’t think he would.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Saskleaf
To be fair, most people agreed Tarasenko would get a 23 first from anything I saw. Only a handful of idiots didn’t think he would.

Heh. You obviously didn't see everything. grin
Saskleaf and sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: mokumboi
Heh. You obviously didn't see everything. grin

No, I’m just saying most people would have agreed Senko would get a first in a trade.
Feb. 10, 2023 at 7:10 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Saskleaf
No, I’m just saying most people would have agreed Senko would get a first in a trade.

Hmm. Maybe a slim majority, but I've had numerous people berating me for being a dimwit loon for saying he'd fetch a 23 1st. Like they thought I was laughably out to lunch.
Saskleaf and sensonfire liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit