Forums/Armchair-GM

3 way trade

Created by: sharcuda22
Team: 2022-23 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2023
Published: Feb. 21, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
forgot that first was unprotected - prolly gotta be a lesser pick if they are parting with lane... who is prolly also untouchable
Trades
SJS
    PLD -> Montreal
    SJS
    1. Hutson, Lane [Reserve List]
    2. Monahan, Sean
    3. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
    MTL
    SJS
    1. 2024 4th round pick (PIT)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SEA
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$77,850,001$0$425,000$4,649,999
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $894,167$894,167
    LW
    RFA - 4
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $6,375,000$6,375,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $762,500$762,500
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $835,000$835,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:10 a.m.
    Go Habs Go
    HABS are not doing that trade for PLD
    Campabee and Just_A_Guess liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:23 a.m.
    sharcuda22
    Quoting: BadaBing

I kinda got all the way through this and was like hm thats prolly not gonna work
    Just_A_Guess liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:28 a.m.
    Make it Work
    Ya prolly not, hoos ganna think dats a good return, noone.halo
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:30 a.m.
    Quoting: sharcuda22
    I kinda got all the way through this and was like hm thats prolly not gonna work

The issue is Hutson, he is looking like he should have gone top 10 in the draft last year so basically its 2 top 10 picks and Monahan (who reports suggest could net an additional 1st) for an RAF players rights, it's just not going to happen. Also the Jets can't move their top center just before the playoffs without getting back an equal center, they might do it at the draft but then Hutson and Monahan won't likely be part of the deal either.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:40 a.m.
    sharcuda22
    Quoting: Campabee
    The issue is Hutson, he is looking like he should have gone top 10 in the draft last year so basically its 2 top 10 picks and Monahan (who reports suggest could net an additional 1st) for an RAF players rights, it's just not going to happen. Also the Jets can't move their top center just before the playoffs without getting back an equal center, they might do it at the draft but then Hutson and Monahan won't likely be part of the deal either.

I forgot the Florida pick wasn't protected, but they aren't gonna have a top 10 pick. I also don't know much about Monahan, thought he was a cap dump to make room for PLD
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:42 a.m.

Hutson would not be redrafted in the top 10. He’s small which is why he dropped in the first place. Also no shot Monahan gets a first. Jets would only do this trade in the off-season or at next years deadline and they will get a first and top prospect if they do decide to move him
    CF18GM liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:43 a.m.
    I forgot the Florida pick wasn't protected, but they aren't gonna have a top 10 pick. I also don't know much about Monahan, thought he was a cap dump to make room for PLD

People on here treat him like one and while he has had injury issues so has Horvat and ROR, I don't see Hughes backing off his set price of a 1st cause this is his defining moment as a GM. If he backs down now, he opens the door for everyone to try to strong-arm him from now on.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:48 a.m.
    sharcuda22
    People on here treat him like one and while he has had injury issues so has Horvat and ROR, I don't see Hughes backing off his set price of a 1st cause this is his defining moment as a GM. If he backs down now, he opens the door for everyone to try to strong-arm him from now on.

I dont really see the Horvat trade as a comp, but surely getting PLD is better for the team than just letting him walk in the off season?
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 8:49 a.m.
    Quoting: SK101
    Hutson would not be redrafted in the top 10. He’s small which is why he dropped in the first place. Also no shot Monahan gets a first. Jets would only do this trade in the off-season or at next years deadline and they will get a first and top prospect if they do decide to move him

What does the package going to SJ have to do with what the Jets would do? The Jets aren't getting anything other than Meier (which is a fair trade for them). Also I never said he would get a top 10 pick, I said he is looking like he could be a top 10 pick in a redraft. Unless you have been living under a rock, you can't be serious if your only argument against that is his size. He is scoring at a better rate than Makar, Q. Hughes and Fox did in the NCAA
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
    I dont really see the Horvat trade as a comp, but surely getting PLD is better for the team than just letting him walk in the off season?

Letting who walk in the offseason, Monahan? Monahan has already said he has interest in resigning with the Habs, so if Hughes doesn't get his ask it's likely we resign Monahan short-term and move him at next year's deadline. I am not saying we shouldn't add Monahan to the deal just saying that if it's Florida's 1st + Monahan + Hutson we pass. If it were almost any other prospect I would say the deal goes through, the ceavat here is I define prospects as players not in the NHL full time, so Guhle, Harris, Slaf and Xhekaj are no longer prospects. The three prospects I would have a hard time including are Farrell, Hutson and Roy.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
    Billy739
    Edited Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
    Quoting: BadaBing

We might if the 1st was a 2025
    Hutson is on pace to be the first rookie since Paul Kariya to win the Hobey Baker.
    Anytime a Defensman is top 20 in scoring they win the Hobey and Hutson's 7th OA last i check
    He and his teammate Brown who's 6th OA have shot up the rankings into the top 10 since Christmas break

Im not giving him and 15th OA up for PLD on a 12m QO after this season
    Its higher then Meier's

Sure PLD might sign for less
    MTL might let his rights expire and sign him anyways like Pitlick
    But without a Contract in place for 8.5m or under i dont see the upside at that cost

Beck ,15th OA ,and Edmundston
    Unlike Monahan they still have an off chance of flipping Eddy next TDL if he's healthy
    Still gives MTL most of the cap it needs , the rest will come via RS from he trade we make
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
    Billy739

Last Defensman 5'10 to rank top 10 in scoring in the NCAA was Makar with 46pts in 41 games (including playoffs 49 pts)winning the Hobey Baker as a Sophmore
    Hutson 5'10 is top 10 ranked in scoring in the NCAA at 7th OA with 38 points in 29 games. With 5 games left in their conference 6.5 points more for 44.5(before playoffs)
    Given he's got 5 games left at 1.31 pts a game with 8 points to tie Makar's pre playoff total with 6.5 projected points all he needs is 1 good night to tie Makar, 2 to pass him.

Thats Hutsons Rookie stats vs Makar's Sophmore's.
    Rookie to Rookie its Hutson doubling Makar .

Its important to point out the last rookie to win the Hobey Baker was Paul Kariya also also 5'10 just like Hutson and Makar.
    Funny , its like Skill matters more then size or something ?
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
    Is this supposed to be next summer? There is less than no chance that Dubois is traded before the summer.

If this is in the summer, it would be dependant on Meier coming with a reasonable dollar and term extension.
    Billy739 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.
    Quoting: Billy739
    Last Defensman 5'10 to rank top 10 in scoring in the NCAA was Makar with 46pts in 41 games (including playoffs 49 pts)winning the Hobey Baker as a Sophmore
    Hutson 5'10 is top 10 ranked in scoring in the NCAA at 7th OA with 38 points in 29 games. With 5 games left in their conference 6.5 points more for 44.5(before playoffs)
    Given he's got 5 games left at 1.31 pts a game with 8 points to tie Makar's pre playoff total with 6.5 projected points all he needs is 1 good night to tie Makar, 2 to pass him.

Thats Hutsons Rookie stats vs Makar's Sophmore's.
    Rookie to Rookie its Hutson doubling Makar .

Its important to point out the last rookie to win the Hobey Baker was Paul Kariya also also 5'10 just like Hutson and Makar.
    Funny , its like Skill matters more then size or something ?

Hutson was 5-8, 148 pounds over the summer. Did he have a huge growth spurt or something? His offensive ability is impressive but his size is what cause him to fall in the draft. There are real concerns about his defensive ability too. He can play sheltered minutes and only on the PP but that still means he’s likely never going to be top pair guy who is gets drafted in the top 10. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets moved to winger.

Makar is 3 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier fyi.
    Billy739 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.
    Billy739
    Quoting: Windjammer
    Is this supposed to be next summer? There is less than no chance that Dubois is traded before the summer.

If this is in the summer, it would be dependant on Meier coming with a reasonable dollar and term extension.

Wait so the plan is for you to drive up his QO?
    Makes sense given all the flexibility with your cap WPG has.

Then agian i suppose Acquiring Meier is just the same thing in a slightly cheaper package.
    But at this point Dubois overpaid so much WPG cant afford to QO and no one can afford to OS.
    Looks like Dubois might be a UFA a year early if he keeps it up.

Rough spot WPG worked themselves into after all they gave up.
    Even if he puts the team on his back and does well in the playoffs , short of a cup win it screws you more come time for QO's

I feel for you though , I mean KK put us in a rough spot too
    I know its no fun when players actions screw the teams options value wise.
    Hopefully WPG has a Draft Day plan in place as teams fresh off a Playoff loss make all sorts of quick and heavy changes after a loss.
    WPG might actually still find value for PLD there is he keeps driving up his QO to its max
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 10:23 a.m.
    Billy739
    Hutson was 5-8, 148 pounds over the summer. Did he have a huge growth spurt or something? His offensive ability is impressive but his size is what cause him to fall in the draft. There are real concerns about his defensive ability too. He can play sheltered minutes and only on the PP but that still means he’s likely never going to be top pair guy who is gets drafted in the top 10. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets moved to winger.

Not according to the NCAA's official page he's not.
    Players his age grow randomly. Heck some like Soderbloom in DET hit another late spurt outta no where.
    That said 5'11 is probably as far as he goes like his dad and brother at anywhere from 160-200lbs based on the 3 brothers i'd say closer to 160lbs then his dads 200lbs

Site's you check only update yearly or if a tournament or event arise's and they notice.
    NCAA and NHL update constantly. Its why i always go to the source.

I've kept track of MTL's prospects in NCAA ever since Poehling /Lindgren and i began looking into a league i completely ignored.
    They Hobey Baker is something i watch as since 2014 winning it actually translate to Pro Hockey success at as high of a rate as the CHL player of the year has for decades.
    Its why i notice these little changes in real time and largely because of the NCAA announcers input tipping me off

https://goterriers.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster/lane-hutson/23565
    SK101 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 10:25 a.m.
    Wait so the plan is for you to drive up his QO?
    Makes sense given all the flexibility with your cap WPG has.

Then agian i suppose Acquiring Meier is just the same thing in a slightly cheaper package.
    But at this point Dubois overpaid so much WPG cant afford to QO and no one can afford to OS.
    Looks like Dubois might be a UFA a year early if he keeps it up.

Rough spot WPG worked themselves into after all they gave up.
    Even if he puts the team on his back and does well in the playoffs , short of a cup win it screws you more come time for QO's

I feel for you though , I mean KK put us in a rough spot too
    I know its no fun when players actions screw the teams options value wise.
    Hopefully WPG has a Draft Day plan in place as teams fresh off a Playoff loss make all sorts of quick and heavy changes after a loss.
    WPG might actually still find value for PLD there is he keeps driving up his QO to its max

Hmmm? I'm not sure what you mean. PLD's QO is $6.0 mil, it can't change. Did you mean his upcoming contract cost?

The only way Dubois can become a FA early is if he goes to arbitration and the Jets refuse the abrbitrated salary, which won't happen.
    Billy739 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.
    Billy739
    Hmmm? I'm not sure what you mean. PLD's QO is $6.0 mil, it can't change. Did you mean his upcoming contract cost?

The only way Dubois can become a FA early is if he goes to arbitration and the Jets refuse the abrbitrated salary, which won't happen.

yes sorry i meant the pending one
    Dont WPG have to QO him again this upcoming year to retain his rights?
    Or did i miss something there where that no longer a thing when a RFA's contract ends?

Pretty sure it states 105% increase is required on QO's .
    PLD making 6m would make that just over 12m QO
    Unless again i missed something here , which is possible
    Windjammer liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
    Montreal isn't making that trade. Even if they weren't rebuilding, they aren't trading Hutson because teams don't trade prospects like that unless they're going to refuse to sign with the team they are with.

If all the numerous rumours are true and Dubois wants to end up in Montreal then Montreal will be motivated to try to trade for him, but they aren't going to overpay for him. Neither Dubois nor Meier are going to return a potential lottery pick in a deep draft, a blue chip prospect and an expiring contract for a player that the trading team likes.

Hutson did have a growth spurt, he is now listed as 5'10" and between 155 lbs (BU Website) and 161 lbs (eliteprospects). He's also not bad defensively.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
    yes sorry i meant the pending one
    Dont WPG have to QO him again this upcoming year to retain his rights?
    Or did i miss something there where that no longer a thing when a RFA's contract ends?

Pretty sure it states 105% increase is required on QO's .
    PLD making 6m would make that just over 12m QO
    Unless again i missed something here , which is possible

I can't remember exactly how it works, but I believe the increase is only applicable to players making less than a certain amount. If the players are making like $5 mil or something, then they don't have to get a raise. I'm just not sure what that $5.0 mil number I used as an example really is.

You can check PLD's contract right here at CapFriendy and it shows guys QO as $6.0 mil. Even if that was wrong a 5% increase isn't $12 mil, it is $6.3 mil.

PLD's upcoming contract isn't an issue for the Jets. If his only issue is money, then the Jets will resign him. Unless he it's asking for significantly more than $10 mil AAV.

PLD has said the most important thing to him is winning, so if that is true, then as long as he believes he can win in Winnipeg they should have a chance to sign him.

The botton line is that it won't be a money issue that will result in PLD being traded.
    Billy739 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 11:37 a.m.
    Go Habs Go
    I can't remember exactly how it works, but I believe the increase is only applicable to players making less than a certain amount. If the players are making like $5 mil or something, then they don't have to get a raise. I'm just not sure what that $5.0 mil number I used as an example really is.

You can check PLD's contract right here at CapFriendy and it shows guys QO as $6.0 mil. Even if that was wrong a 5% increase isn't $12 mil, it is $6.3 mil.

PLD's upcoming contract isn't an issue for the Jets. If his only issue is money, then the Jets will resign him. Unless he it's asking for significantly more than $10 mil AAV.

PLD has said the most important thing to him is winning, so if that is true, then as long as he believes he can win in Winnipeg they should have a chance to sign him.

The botton line is that it won't be a money issue that will result in PLD being traded.

It's $1M or more. PLD would be $6M.
    Below that it goes to 105% and 110%.

(Then there's the Timo Meier rule, where the qualifying offer can't exceed 120% of the AAV if signed after a certain date. Doesn't apply here, but something to be aware of.)
    Windjammer and Billy739 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:07 p.m.
    Billy739

Well thats confusing but ill take your word for it , trying to confirm it is a ton of reading anyways as CBA stuff you can re-read for days and not fully understand right way.
    I dont think the only issue is money i just thought i could exploit it like teams are trying to do with SJS and Meier.
    I think i get it now though , well except the Timo Meier rule part lol

In the end i think PLD will leave because he wants to
    No one as an RFA years before they're in line to become a UFA publicly state's they'll be testing Free Agency like that unless they want out.

Kotkanemi was pretty clear on wanting out and that was when Suzuki leap frogged him
    First chance he got , he was out.

Question becomes like always does WPG's GM wait to long and fail to profit off it?
    I mean its what seperates WPG from teams like CHI,LAK,TBL and PIT .
    PIT didnt wait for Sutter to crap out completly , WPG did with Perrault.
    PIT got a player who was the center of HBK cup line that had his winger lead the playoffs in scoring for the cup

All because their GM saw Sutter struggling and moved on to a seemingly lesser player at the time.
    Those are the moves WPG arent prepared to move with their current GM anymore then MTL was under Bergavin .
    Both GM's lack the spine to make impact mid season moves that mattered on a consistent basis. Great deals in the off season but ghosts during the season.
    Both also cheaped out on playoff runs that coulda resulted in a cup for either team.

I think if PLD is to stay , your GM has to go to make it happen.
    All that guys accomplished was wasting the Prime years of many good players during his 2 core builds
    Dont let him waste all Hellebyuk's Prime years like we sat by and did with Price/MB
    Windjammer liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
    Go Habs Go
    Well thats confusing but ill take your word for it , trying to confirm it is a ton of reading anyways as CBA stuff you can re-read for days and not fully understand right way.
    I dont think the only issue is money i just thought i could exploit it like teams are trying to do with SJS and Meier.
    I think i get it now though , well except the Timo Meier rule part lol

In the end i think PLD will leave because he wants to
    No one as an RFA years before they're in line to become a UFA publicly state's they'll be testing Free Agency like that unless they want out.

Kotkanemi was pretty clear on wanting out and that was when Suzuki leap frogged him
    First chance he got , he was out.

Question becomes like always does WPG's GM wait to long and fail to profit off it?
    I mean its what seperates WPG from teams like CHI,LAK,TBL and PIT .
    PIT didnt wait for Sutter to crap out completly , WPG did with Perrault.
    PIT got a player who was the center of HBK cup line that had his winger lead the playoffs in scoring for the cup

All because their GM saw Sutter struggling and moved on to a seemingly lesser player at the time.
    Those are the moves WPG arent prepared to move with their current GM anymore then MTL was under Bergavin .
    Both GM's lack the spine to make impact mid season moves that mattered on a consistent basis. Great deals in the off season but ghosts during the season.
    Both also cheaped out on playoff runs that coulda resulted in a cup for either team.

I think if PLD is to stay , your GM has to go to make it happen.
    All that guys accomplished was wasting the Prime years of many good players during his 2 core builds
    Dont let him waste all Hellebyuk's Prime years like we sat by and did with Price/MB

Meier has a $10M QO because his base salary in his final year is $10M.
    Under the new rule, your QO can't be more than 120% of your AAV. Meier would then be at $7.2M because his AAV was $6M.

The new rule doesn't apply to him and was put in to stop players from following that tactic.
    Billy739 liked this.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
    Billy739
    Quoting: Burnout
    Montreal isn't making that trade. Even if they weren't rebuilding, they aren't trading Hutson because teams don't trade prospects like that unless they're going to refuse to sign with the team they are with.

If all the numerous rumours are true and Dubois wants to end up in Montreal then Montreal will be motivated to try to trade for him, but they aren't going to overpay for him. Neither Dubois nor Meier are going to return a potential lottery pick in a deep draft, a blue chip prospect and an expiring contract for a player that the trading team likes.

Hutson did have a growth spurt, he is now listed as 5'10" and between 155 lbs (BU Website) and 161 lbs (eliteprospects). He's also not bad defensively.

We'd trade him for an overpay

Ghule's going no where , he's #1.
    Harris is MSL and Hughes family friend and both have been his coaches at various levels. Unlikely to be moved
    Xhekaj sadly might be moved unless we moved him to RD like his final year in Junior where he was amazing.
    Kovacevic plays RD so he's probably safe until Barron and Mailloux are ready unless they move Savard and keep him he'll be moved once Mailloux's up.
    Struble longterm has a shot as his first 2 years he played Harris's Right Side
    Trudeau is overachieving getting re-called up after being sent down after 9 games . Since then he's worked his way to #1 LD.
    Beaudin is doing well but he stalled out after Barron's call up so time will tell , give it another month to see if he adapts.
    Engstrom should make it he plays both sides and at a high level . He trains with his pro team and the Junior team and by himself spending all day,everyday on the ice according to his coaches.
    Norlinder is not likely going to get another contract offer he needs to much time

That's just our LD at Pro level's
    If its more profitable to move Hutson then Harris , we'll do it.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
    Billy739
    Quoting: ricochetii
    Meier has a $10M QO because his base salary in his final year is $10M.
    Under the new rule, your QO can't be more than 120% of your AAV. Meier would then be at $7.2M because his AAV was $6M.

The new rule doesn't apply to him and was put in to stop players from following that tactic.

I get it now
    That's slick negotiating by his Agent.
    ricochetii liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll