SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(TBL/SJS) - Namestnikov for Eyssimont

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 1, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Not sure why everyone says Tampa won this deal. I understand cap space, but Namestnikov is a much better player
Mar. 1, 2023 at 8:51 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Quoting: Missouri
Not sure why everyone says Tampa won this deal. I understand cap space, but Namestnikov is a much better player

Namestnikov was currently a 2.5M scratched player. Not where you wanna have your cap goin when your contending. Especially with Myers also
CSStrowbridge and Missouri liked this.
Mar. 1, 2023 at 10:29 p.m.
feelsbadman
SHARKS GM WORST GM XD
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:41 a.m.
lottery team fan
Quoting: Missouri

this site will blame mike grier for just simply breathing
Mar. 2, 2023 at 8:49 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: SnakeDelilah

How is trading your hardest working player, who was a waiver claim… and actually playing really good hockey on a bad team (he was arguably our most valuable skater behind Karlsson, Timo, Barabanov, Hertl) - for a guy who we’re going to flip for a 4th a invalid criticism?

Guys a GM.. he hasn’t been a gm for a week anymore, he deserves equal criticism just like Bill Armstrong, Ron Hextall, any GM who makes a bad move.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
I’m trying to figure out if this is a cap dump or a hockey trade. I think it might be a little of both.

It looks like a cap dump for Tampa Bay, but they retained half his salary and took back a player, so they only saved $500,000 in cap hit. They could save more if they waive Eyssimont, which would still leave them with 12 forwards, but Cap Friendly says they have $1.2M in cap space now, so unless they’re planning another move they didn’t need the $500,000 they just freed up. This makes me wonder if maybe they like Eyssimont and see him as better suited to a bottom-6 role in the playoffs than Namestnikov. Why include him – a player who appears to have value for San Jose – if it’s just a cap dump? If they did this to free up cap space for another move, to go for such a small amount they must already have a pretty good idea what that move is going to be.

Meanwhile, why would a team that’s out of the playoffs take on a rental cap dump without getting some future asset for doing that? Not only did they not get anything, they actually gave up a player who’s been putting up decent numbers for them and who, as a pending RFA, they could have brought back next season. It appears that they gave up a useful player for something of no value, and even with the retention, it’s costing them money to do that. The only thing that makes sense is if for some reason they didn’t plan to offer Eyssimont a contract next year, and they think that with retention they can flip Namestnikov to another team for more than they would have got for Eyssimont. Either that or they want to try to sign Namestnikov for next season and the retention is just to save them some cash now. Even in those scenarios, I see no reason for them to include Eyssimont in the deal unless Tampa really wanted him. They could have done it for future considerations.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
Go Jets Go
Quoting: toque
Miss him in WPG, big sad he was waived

Agreed!
toque liked this.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:41 a.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan

Just breathing while making these dumb trades.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: imawesome
Namestnikov was currently a 2.5M scratched player. Not where you wanna have your cap goin when your contending. Especially with Myers also

Makes sense, I understand that on tampa's side. Really its a win-win situation for both sides.

Lol so I have noticed haha
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.
lottery team fan
Quoting: yikes
How is trading your hardest working player, who was a waiver claim… and actually playing really good hockey on a bad team (he was arguably our most valuable skater behind Karlsson, Timo, Barabanov, Hertl) - for a guy who we’re going to flip for a 4th a invalid criticism?

Guys a GM.. he hasn’t been a gm for a week anymore, he deserves equal criticism just like Bill Armstrong, Ron Hextall, any GM who makes a bad move.

dude calm down he has 8 points in 20 games getting him for a fourth actually sounds like a steal
Mar. 2, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
dude calm down he has 8 points in 20 games getting him for a fourth actually sounds like a steal

lol im quite calm. Its kinda funny/ ironic that you get logical response to you claiming his criticisms are illogical and thats all you say.
Mar. 2, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
Big caps fan
Ok sharks ? ???? Why though
Mar. 2, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Big caps fan
Don’t you guys have youth?????????????
Mar. 3, 2023 at 8:39 p.m.
sensonfire
Namestnikov is a pending UFA while Eyssimont is a pending RFA.

And San Jose just gave away cap space like Halloween candy.

Tampa wins the trade.
Mar. 3, 2023 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
I’m trying to figure out if this is a cap dump or a hockey trade. I think it might be a little of both.

It looks like a cap dump for Tampa Bay, but they retained half his salary and took back a player, so they only saved $500,000 in cap hit. They could save more if they waive Eyssimont, which would still leave them with 12 forwards, but Cap Friendly says they have $1.2M in cap space now, so unless they’re planning another move they didn’t need the $500,000 they just freed up. This makes me wonder if maybe they like Eyssimont and see him as better suited to a bottom-6 role in the playoffs than Namestnikov. Why include him – a player who appears to have value for San Jose – if it’s just a cap dump? If they did this to free up cap space for another move, to go for such a small amount they must already have a pretty good idea what that move is going to be.

Meanwhile, why would a team that’s out of the playoffs take on a rental cap dump without getting some future asset for doing that? Not only did they not get anything, they actually gave up a player who’s been putting up decent numbers for them and who, as a pending RFA, they could have brought back next season. It appears that they gave up a useful player for something of no value, and even with the retention, it’s costing them money to do that. The only thing that makes sense is if for some reason they didn’t plan to offer Eyssimont a contract next year, and they think that with retention they can flip Namestnikov to another team for more than they would have got for Eyssimont. Either that or they want to try to sign Namestnikov for next season and the retention is just to save them some cash now. Even in those scenarios, I see no reason for them to include Eyssimont in the deal unless Tampa really wanted him. They could have done it for future considerations.

This makes more sense now that San Jose has flipped Namestnikov to Winnipeg for a 4th-round pick. I guess they couldn't get that much for Eyssimont (certainly not from Winnipeg, since they waived him earlier in the season), and getting the retention from Tampa enabled them to fit Namestnikov under Winnipeg's cap without San Jose retaining anything, though San Jose never did use their third retention slot.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit