Forums/Armchair-GM

What does winnipeg do

Created by: Howie
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 31, 2023
Published: Mar. 31, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It's no secret that the jets have had major struggles since January which have resulted in many fans believing that the core needs to be reset and tear it down. With all the Dubois stuff, scheifele giving up, wheeler being himself, bones wack lines it's hard to see the positive this team was able to achieve and Frankly look like two completely different teams.

This may what fans want but from indications from Darren Dreger the jets will try all that they can to keep Dubois thus showing a lack of desire to build up a new core. Winnipeg has so many question marks when it comes to Dubois and the state of the ufas where they can't afford to have many valuable assets walk for free. The jets are a heavy draft and develop team as getting people to sign here or trades (trade protection) can be quite difficult to impossible without an overpayment.

So with the vast disconnect between the fans and management how will this affect the plan going forward? I for one think that sure they can try to keep guys around but does that give them the best chance to succeed? We seen this team completely disappear so why would management invest into something that has shown major aspects that will majorly affect the ability to stay consistent into the future.

With all the assets the jets have they are in a great position if they do decide to rebuild as many teams would be lining up for several players if they were to become available (Connor, ehlers, helle, etc) so if done right you are already starting off with some young assets like perfetti and Samberg as nhl guys, some promising players in lambert, mcgroarty, lucius and with the assets via selling it wouldn't be that long of a rebuild depending on how well they can draft and develop which is their bread and butter.

So why does the management want to hopefully keep Dubois around with all the news surrounding him? Sure he may have his foot out the door but ultimately he is just a good player and most teams tend to want to keep the players that are important to their team. This combined with the price they paid would seem like a massive mismanagement of assets to then trade him 2 years later. The jets can want to keep players around as they are important but it's also a need for these top players to put their soul into their play which has been vacant for many top end guys. It wouldn't be fair to reward a scheifele or a Dubois when their effort hasn't been consistently there all season where players like barron, niederreiter, Lowry and more. So what is management doing?

Similarly to Vancouver management has had this disconnect with its fans and really not having a direction has been a major factor in why we have essentially seen the same team since 2019. Little changes have been made but ultimately you either are actively improve the team towards a cup or transition to selling pieces to get assets that can. The jets have been so patient which has help them in many situations but ultimately lead them back to never being either good or bad.

How can this be resolved? It is definitely something that management needs to discuss in the coming months and may be accelerated via a playoff miss while having a point of best team in the west at a point this season. Tough questions will be asked as the players we have can be great players and there is no guarantee that players we pick will be as good as some of them so it can be hard to sell off someone who is great rn for something that isn't guaranteed to even come close to what they can be worth.

To conclude I'm not fully against either way of going about how the team should go forward but ultimately needs to be provided why it's better than the latter. Sure you can keep the team relatively together and have a decent team but the ultimately loss for winnipeg will always be the loss of assets that could be used to create more long-term value for the team. Chevy has a difficult job no doubt but now he will have to male some choices that are pivotal in where this team ends up next season and in to the near and distant future. The winnipeg jets are at the mercy of Chevy and frankly nerve-wracking.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully a discussion on the likely outcome we can expect to see.
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
Additional Details:
Just my trade that I like for Dubois idc if hab fans come in here and rip on it mostly because this agms purpose is not the trade but what will occur with the jets
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
28$82,500,000$85,439,525$0$2,050,000-$2,939,525
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 4
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$859,167$859,167
C
RFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$897,500$897,500
RD
RFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 31, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I like your deal, but kind of hoping for a gamble of a mtl 2nd 23, 3rd 24, and cgy 1st in 25. Then possibly a kid or two and some capdumps. The second could be relatively early, hoping for a wheatking sweep, with bjarnson and danielson, but jets always seem to steer clear of wheatkings. I’m kind of hoping for a full tear down and try to pull goalie of the future, 1c and or a monster 1dman. Might be reaching a little, but not a fly on the wall in Winnipeg or Montreal and those conversations.
LIRIK liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
I like your deal, but kind of hoping for a gamble of a mtl 2nd 23, 3rd 24, and cgy 1st in 25. Then possibly a kid or two and some capdumps. The second could be relatively early, hoping for a wheatking sweep, with bjarnson and danielson, but jets always seem to steer clear of wheatkings. I’m kind of hoping for a full tear down and try to pull goalie of the future, 1c and or a monster 1dman. Might be reaching a little, but not a fly on the wall in Winnipeg or Montreal and those conversations.

Dom DiVincentiis has done quite well in the ohl this year and think he may be the future or a least a stop gap if a rebuild occurs. Goalies tend to be all over the place since they take longer to develop so steals and undrafted guys find success as it's less guaranteed and more just finding the guy that has the underlying drive to keep pushing forward.
Birtle34 liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Howie
Dom DiVincentiis has done quite well in the ohl this year and think he may be the future or a least a stop gap if a rebuild occurs. Goalies tend to be all over the place since they take longer to develop so steals and undrafted guys find success as it's less guaranteed and more just finding the guy that has the underlying drive to keep pushing forward.

Nice I didn’t realize, I’ve always been a keep adding and attempting to improve the depth, kind of like a qb in football. Find goalie of the future all different ways. Just love the depth of this draft, would love multiple picks in the first 60
Mar. 31, 2023 at 2:32 p.m.
Jetsfan
1. If Dubois is willing to stay based on changes, those changes need to happen.

2. If Dubois wants to go, we trade him before July 1

3. Trade Scheifele and buyout or trade Wheels

4. Hope like heck you can trade those pieces that we get back for guys like Lindholm/Bennett etc

We have too good of wingers to rebuild but we need centers back for a retool but Scheifele and Wheels have to go
Mar. 31, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
That's MTL offer if another team is willing to trade for Dubois before the 2023 draft. That or FLA 2023 1st + Beck.

If no team is offering a 2023 1st, then MTL should wait and offer CGY 24/25 1st + Avs 2024 2nd + Beck.

I don't mind including Dvorak for cap space. I don't mind keeping him either.

As for WPG future, they should trade all their valuable players for as many high picks or good prospects as they can. Could be a very fast rebuild.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
I don't know what the Jets do, I like your trade for both sides tbh. The Jets deserve to be a good team (they are one of my top 3 Canadian teams. Habs are my fav followed by Calgary and the Jets lol)
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
I think it depends a bit on their play off performances this year. If they do well and they can build momentum, well maybe PLD can change his mind and Chevy will be looking to strengthen the team next year. If they do very badly and star players disapoint, I think it's a good indicator to start a new chapter in Winnipeg.

They have a lot of valuable assets so who knows, it can be a very fast rebuild
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
Benzino204
They will likely get rid of Scheifele and Wheeler and retool. I don't expect a rebuild. They've been telling their fans for three years they are committed to win, despite the incompetence of management
Howie and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:26 p.m.
Quoting: LaCurveASlaf
I think it depends a bit on their play off performances this year. If they do well and they can build momentum, well maybe PLD can change his mind and Chevy will be looking to strengthen the team next year. If they do very badly and star players disapoint, I think it's a good indicator to start a new chapter in Winnipeg.

They have a lot of valuable assets so who knows, it can be a very fast rebuild

That's considering we don't play ourselves out of a spot. The fact is there shouldn't even be this race for a spot it's not the teams behind us playing lights out to make it competitive, the jets are actively making it tougher than it needs to be and some players just aren't giving 100%.
LaCurveASlaf liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: Benzino204
They will likely get rid of Scheifele and Wheeler and retool. I don't expect a rebuild. They've been telling their fans for three years they are committed to win, despite the incompetence of management

I fully support a retool but ultimately comes down to Hellebuyck at the end of the day. He wants to win and if there is any chance he wants to compete elsewhere or want an absurd amount of money (he's worth it tho just lots to spend on a goalie) it may not be in the jets decision but based off of him. You can't really choose to retool and have your top 5 goalie bail with no sign of a replacement near ready. It's management for the likes of scheifele and wheeler but have less control over Hellebuyck and Dubois and their decisions may force a rebuild of the presence of them leaving.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: LIRIK
That's MTL offer if another team is willing to trade for Dubois before the 2023 draft. That or FLA 2023 1st + Beck.

If no team is offering a 2023 1st, then MTL should wait and offer CGY 24/25 1st + Avs 2024 2nd + Beck.

I don't mind including Dvorak for cap space. I don't mind keeping him either.

As for WPG future, they should trade all their valuable players for as many high picks or good prospects as they can. Could be a very fast rebuild.

Not exactly about the trade but ig jets just need to trade Dubois for the best return waiting for a first is better than not getting one altogether. Just jets need to see some type of return when the deal is made. Sure it's okay but realistically I may be off on beck but I manly see him as a good 3rd liner which sure is valuable but ultimately he would have more value now than when he's that 3rd liner. A 2024 Colorado 2nd is likely late 50s early 60s which the likelihood of turning into a player that plays 100 games is not great but mostly just a bottom end guy. The Calgary 1st sure can be better than Florida's pick but waiting 1/2 extra drafts for a pick you have no idea what's going to happen is a big risk as you are banking on the conditions which are complex and also the pick for example lands 22 overall you just waited all that time for a pick that may not even be someone who works out. I get there is value there but the difference may be close value wise there is a pretty good difference upside wise. If this is the best deal available I take it but I'll definitely be disappointed in it tbh.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 3:50 p.m.
Not exactly about the trade but ig jets just need to trade Dubois for the best return waiting for a first is better than not getting one altogether. Just jets need to see some type of return when the deal is made. Sure it's okay but realistically I may be off on beck but I manly see him as a good 3rd liner which sure is valuable but ultimately he would have more value now than when he's that 3rd liner. A 2024 Colorado 2nd is likely late 50s early 60s which the likelihood of turning into a player that plays 100 games is not great but mostly just a bottom end guy. The Calgary 1st sure can be better than Florida's pick but waiting 1/2 extra drafts for a pick you have no idea what's going to happen is a big risk as you are banking on the conditions which are complex and also the pick for example lands 22 overall you just waited all that time for a pick that may not even be someone who works out. I get there is value there but the difference may be close value wise there is a pretty good difference upside wise. If this is the best deal available I take it but I'll definitely be disappointed in it tbh.

I'm sorry WPG isn't getting fair value for PLD, but you have to understand MTL POV. We're willing to beat any offer, but won't overpay just for the sake of it.

If the best offer is a 2024 1st + 2nd, MTL offering CGY 24/25 1st + Avs 2nd + Beck is better. This is even more than the Horvat deal WPG fans use as a comparable.

As for Beck, he's as valuable as Raty. Middle 6 C prospect drafted in 2nd round already close to the NHL a year after his draft. No one would offer a 1C prospect for PLD.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Benzino204
I fully support a retool but ultimately comes down to Hellebuyck at the end of the day. He wants to win and if there is any chance he wants to compete elsewhere or want an absurd amount of money (he's worth it tho just lots to spend on a goalie) it may not be in the jets decision but based off of him. You can't really choose to retool and have your top 5 goalie bail with no sign of a replacement near ready. It's management for the likes of scheifele and wheeler but have less control over Hellebuyck and Dubois and their decisions may force a rebuild of the presence of them leaving.

I wonder if something can be done where maybe they extend him for three years, and see what happens. If they don't come anywhere close in 2 seasons from now, they trade him to a contender, and start a rebuild then. If Helle does request a trade this offseason, that makes a rebuild more likely.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
I'm sorry WPG isn't getting fair value for PLD, but you have to understand MTL POV. We're willing to beat any offer, but won't overpay just for the sake of it.

If the best offer is a 2024 1st + 2nd, MTL offering CGY 24/25 1st + Avs 2nd + Beck is better. This is even more than the Horvat deal WPG fans use as a comparable.

As for Beck, he's as valuable as Raty. Middle 6 C prospect drafted in 2nd round already close to the NHL a year after his draft. No one would offer a 1C prospect for PLD.

I get that but all I'm saying as it may be the best deal I'm terms of value it ultimately could fall straight through with no asset from the deal come 2030. I get mtl isn't going to overpay but still not exactly the best deal in terms of what we lose. Odds are we get a fraction of what Dubois is and really isn't great. I'd personally take kidney and Mailloux over beck (probably about even value as beck has more certainty) as it gives the jets more assets and more chances for a player to break through
Mar. 31, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
Go Habs Go
A rebuild under a new GM would be my recommendation.
Keep Dubois and Connor (if possible), and start changing the culture. Unload and save money for next year's UFA crop (or the year after) while loading up on assets.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 8:33 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
A rebuild under a new GM would be my recommendation.
Keep Dubois and Connor (if possible), and start changing the culture. Unload and save money for next year's UFA crop (or the year after) while loading up on assets.

Jets don't sign ufas dawg. Look at their fa signings the past 5 years. No one signs here lol
Mar. 31, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
I get that but all I'm saying as it may be the best deal I'm terms of value it ultimately could fall straight through with no asset from the deal come 2030. I get mtl isn't going to overpay but still not exactly the best deal in terms of what we lose. Odds are we get a fraction of what Dubois is and really isn't great. I'd personally take kidney and Mailloux over beck (probably about even value as beck has more certainty) as it gives the jets more assets and more chances for a player to break through

I got no problem swapping Beck for Mailloux. I also don't mind adding Kidney if he's needed to beat another offer.

At this point, Cheveldayoff should shop PLD around the league and get the best offer he can. Then call MTL, and we will beat that offer.
Windjammer liked this.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
I got no problem swapping Beck for Mailloux. I also don't mind adding Kidney if he's needed to beat another offer.

At this point, Cheveldayoff should shop PLD around the league and get the best offer he can. Then call MTL, and we will beat that offer.

Imagine a team gives up a Tkachuk return because they really believe they can sign him. Ik it's unlikely maybe even a fever dream. In that case I doubt mtl would be interested in beating that offer
Mar. 31, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.

Now that is a very reasonable response. If Montreal is willing to work with the Jets instead of trying to push a lowball offer on Winnipeg as some fans want to do. There's likely a good chance that they'll be able to work out a deal if that's where PLD really wants to be.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
Quoting: Windjammer
Now that is a very reasonable response. If Montreal is willing to work with the Jets instead of trying to push a lowball offer on Winnipeg as some fans want to do. There's likely a good chance that they'll be able to work out a deal if that's where PLD really wants to be.

That's why i've been saying all MTL has to do is beat the best offer.
Mar. 31, 2023 at 10:12 p.m.
That's why i've been saying all MTL has to do is beat the best offer.

I agree with that with one caveat. "Best offer" may not necessarily mean "best value on paper" deal, it probably means a combination of value, timing and fit. Timing meaning when the prospects or picks would likely be ready. Which is why I don't think your 25 1st would be as enticing to the Jets as a 23 1st.

Anyways, I think we're pretty much on the same page now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll