Forums/Armchair-GM

Draft Wheelin and Dealin

Created by: arafay
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 12, 2023
Published: Apr. 12, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Regardless of if the jets make the playoffs or not, a retool should be in the books.

Dubois for the FLA 1st, Dvorak, and Barron is something I’d consider, if not take for Dubois, and it’s been offered by habs fans. I just increased the offer by adding Pionk. The Canadiens get a top 4 rd they sorely need now. And the jets get dach. They keep dvorak as a 3C. So basically, 2 trades. The aforementioned package for dubois, and pionk and dvorak for dach. I know I’m probably selling low on pionk, but he becomes expendable with a petry trade. I would do this if I’m MTL so I can compete now. A 1-2 of Suzuki and Dubois would be killer and the Canadiens can likely compete with this roster (with the addition of a goaltender). It would be similar to what Ottawa has done by building a good core, then trading for the rest. However, these moves come at a cost of course and this is probably only something they consider if they want to compete now.

I got Murray as a dump cause I had the space and the jets will need a backup. It will probably be like a 15 spot drop for Toronto for cap space.

I started Barron in the AHL because the jets like to have their d-men spend a lot of time there. He still has plenty to work on, including his defensive game and strength, so a year (or less) in the A should be good.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$900,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Dach, Kirby
  3. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
WPG
  1. Silfverberg, Jakob ($1,000,000 retained)
WPG
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Any team
FLA
  1. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Murray, Matt
  2. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
TOR
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (FLA)
WPG
  1. Petry, Jeff
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Wheeler, Blake ($3,000,000 retained)
  2. 2023 1st round pick (WPG)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$84,500,000$78,239,941$0$1,275,000$6,260,059
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
Tabarnak
I don't understand the Mtl trade. Why would Mtl replace a good centerman and a puck moving defenceman by older versions of the same thing?
Yes, I'm aware that PLD and Pionk are better than Dach and Barron, but there are no incentive for Mtl to be that much better next season : much of the expected D core won't be playoffs ready anyway.
I would say no to that trade.
arafay, Burnout, ricochetii and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
that pittsburgh deal is rough on Winnipeg
arafay liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
Quoting: Blasphem_Guy
I don't understand the Mtl trade. Why would Mtl replace a good centerman and a puck moving defenceman by older versions of the same thing?
Yes, I'm aware that PLD and Pionk are better than Dach and Barron, but there are no incentive for Mtl to be that much better next season : much of the expected D core won't be playoffs ready anyway.
I would say no to that trade.

I get what you’re saying, but we’ve seen similar trades from up and coming teams recently (specifically Ottawa). Dach is good yes, but Dubois is currently better (we can agree there from what you said) and dach’s ceiling is likely where Dubois is now so that’s one incentive. Also, Barron likely tops out at where pionk is as well. So it’s pretty much advancing that timeline. Again, that’s if the Canadiens want to compete now, which I honestly think they can.

I don’t think there’s much argument to the top six being ready so I’ll leave that out. As for the defence, I think a top 6 of
Edmondson-Pionk
Ghule-savard
Matheson-x (rotating until someone wins the job) is a playoff defence core. They just need a goaltender.

Basically, this move hinges on the Canadiens wanting to compete now, which is entirely up to them. I just wanted to explore that angle a bit. Most likely, we see a Dubois trade with dach coming back (either alone or with a small piece) or a draft trade with the FLA 1st, barron,+. Looking at the jets prospects and layout, those are the only pieces they likely are interested in.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
that pittsburgh deal is rough on Winnipeg

Agreed, but I like petry and wheeler needs to go. You can’t have new leadership with the old leadership still in the room.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
Tony Ferguson Fan
Quoting: arafay
I get what you’re saying, but we’ve seen similar trades from up and coming teams recently (specifically Ottawa). Dach is good yes, but Dubois is currently better (we can agree there from what you said) and dach’s ceiling is likely where Dubois is now so that’s one incentive. Also, Barron likely tops out at where pionk is as well. So it’s pretty much advancing that timeline. Again, that’s if the Canadiens want to compete now, which I honestly think they can.

I don’t think there’s much argument to the top six being ready so I’ll leave that out. As for the defence, I think a top 6 of
Edmondson-Pionk
Ghule-savard
Matheson-x (rotating until someone wins the job) is a playoff defence core. They just need a goaltender.

Basically, this move hinges on the Canadiens wanting to compete now, which is entirely up to them. I just wanted to explore that angle a bit. Most likely, we see a Dubois trade with dach coming back (either alone or with a small piece) or a draft trade with the FLA 1st, barron,+. Looking at the jets prospects and layout, those are the only pieces they likely are interested in.

Dach is simply a no-go in a Dubois trade and Matheson is just a better and cheaper version of Neal Pionk

The Top 6 will look like this:

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Harris - Kovacevic
Xhekaj
BorisBagel liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Mtl easily declines.

Value wise today Dach with less then 3.5 million cap with term > 1 year from ufa Dubois.

Dach was on a 54 point pace this year which is right in line with plds career 57 point pace. The gap between the 2 players doesnt warrant the 5 million more against the cap dubois will likely want.

The habs also dont feel any need to trade for pionk for a top 20 pick and another rclecent 1st rounder
Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
1. Montreal would never consider that
2. Anaheim is taking on a veteran with term for a good rental project why exactly?
3. I don't see Stanley having that kind of value, but you never know.
5. Petry asked for a trade out of Montreal because he wanted to be in the US, there's no way he waives to go to Winnipeg.

Edmondson-Pionk
Ghule-savard

Montreal is very clearly not competing now. And if they were, I doubt they'd move Dach or want to trade for Pionk. He's not the type of D-man they'd be looking for.

You're also expecting Montreal to give up prime futures and a good young NHLer while likely adding a net 10 mil to their cap. That just doesn't happen unless you're offering much better players.

Like, it feels unlikely that Montreal would offer Dvorak a 1st and Barron, but at least you can see it as being possible. They aren't going to offer Dach.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Quoting: Aaron_Dell_Pickle
Dach is simply a no-go in a Dubois trade and Matheson is just a better and cheaper version of Neal Pionk

The Top 6 will look like this:

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Harris - Kovacevic
Xhekaj

Matheson and Guhle are the 2 best defencemen
Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:48 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Why do you want Silfverberg?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Future Norris guy
Agreed, but I like petry and wheeler needs to go. You can’t have new leadership with the old leadership still in the room.

Petry won't waive for Winnipeg, After the Covid incident he put all Canadian teams on his no trade list. His wife and kids are in Michigan. No way he waives to be 1,400 miles from them.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I wouldn't mind the Silfverberg-Schmidt trade, although I don't see why Anaheim would retain when they're taking on an additional year of a (slightly) higher cap hit. The real question is whether Anaheim is on Schmidt's no-trade list, or Winnipeg is on Silfverberg's no-trade list. I rather suspect the latter.
arafay liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 8:23 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I wouldn't mind the Silfverberg-Schmidt trade, although I don't see why Anaheim would retain when they're taking on an additional year of a (slightly) higher cap hit. The real question is whether Anaheim is on Schmidt's no-trade list, or Winnipeg is on Silfverberg's no-trade list. I rather suspect the latter.

Honestly, could do without the retention but personally have schmidt at better value than silfverberg. And I think Silfverberg would waive to go to a contender.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 8:23 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Why do you want Silfverberg?

4th line rw upgrade on stenlund. I would take a 3rd for schmidt instead but I’m not sure any team would be willing to do that. Plus, I like making life difficult.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 12, 2023 at 8:41 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Edmondson-Pionk
Ghule-savard

It's been said already, but Dach and Barron aren't available.

As for Montreal competing, there's still work to be done before they can be more than a bubble team. Adding a C and D isn't enough to make them a contender so a swap isn't going to accomplish much. We could replace our 2 worst players with Dubois and Pionk and be no better off.
You can't fast track experience and we need a lot more of it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll