1$850,000
1$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
WPG
LAK
  1. Hellebuyck, Connor ($3,083,333 retained)
Additional Details:
I want a haul for Helle, and I'd be willing to eat money to get it. In truth, I'd like to force one of Byfield/Clarke/Kaliyev/Vilardi in here but short of that a trade like this would be sufficient. This may still be too much for Kings fans (especially if it comes without a guaranteed extension), but I did have one Kings fan friend say they'd be happy with it so maybe this would work.
WPG
  1. Newhook, Alex [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Scheifele, Mark
Additional Details:
It was surprisingly hard to find a suitor for Scheifele. Considering his play and effort the last couple years there's not a lot of teams I see as wanting a center like him, and certainly not at the price we'd likely command. I thought about a Boston or New York, but the Bruins are desperately short on assets and aren't likely to want to flip someone like Zacha to get Scheifele, for instance; while the Rangers have Trocheck to fill that hole. I haven't looked closely at the Avs cap picture, but I figured with Landeskog going on LTIR and with them potentially losing Compher to free agency, they'll have a hole to fill at 2C. Scheifele is a more proven option there than Newhook, and playing with one of Nichuskin or Lehkonen would pair him with the type of complimentary defensive winger he needs.

The return can be debated, but I figured a likely middle 6 forward and a late-ish 1st would be about right. You could make various versions of this trade with the pick being moved to this year, having some sort of protection on it or including the possibility of dropping to a 2nd. There could also be some salary retained on Scheifele for an increased return.
WPG
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (LAK)
CBJ
  1. Stanley, Logan
Additional Details:
Pretty straightforward deal, some team (not necessarily Columbus) volunteers a pick for Stanley. He has some value now, there's no sense letting him flounder in a crowded defense group for another year.
WPG
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (STL)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Pionk, Neal
Additional Details:
With Durzi incoming, Pionk feels a bit redundant to keep around and ends up as the odd man out defensively. Detroit could supposedly use a PMD and have an excess of 2nd round picks this year. 2 2nds might feel a little rich to Wings fans but Pionk would fit the need on the right side and should help stabilize the top 4. It might be a bit rich, but not egregious.
WPG
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
I've picked the Rangers here, but they're really a substitute for a generic team x. I don't necessarily expect NYR to have interest
NYR
  1. Dillon, Brenden
Additional Details:
One more defenseman move. This could probably wait until closer to the deadline, but I feel that Ville Heinola deserves a spot in the lineup and without this move would slot in at 7th or 8th on the depth chart. Dillon I see as the most mediocre of all our defenseman and he's also the most likely outside of Morrisey to command a big return. Getting a 1st is a stretch at this point, but it would be nice to recoup the 2nds we gave up for him, or one of them at least.
WPG
    PLD
    MTL
      Whatever trade happens involving Pierre-Luc Dubois, it's likely to involve the Habs. I haven't outlined possible returns here because they all look disappointing and adding players would mess with the roster I've got set up. I'm leaving this crucial part undecided for now.
      WPG
        The trades here have disassembled the roster enough already, but I'd also consider trading Connor or Morrisey for the right offer (i.e. a blow your socks off haul). I didn't move Wheeler because I believe the return for him would be fairly minimal anyways and I'd rather use our retention slots to maximize return on other guys. This leaves us a few guys to move at the deadline:

Wheeler: the other reason it could be smarter to wait on a Wheeler trade is that teams may be more willing to absorb his deal into prorated cap space. Additionally, the deadline allows for some 3 way cap brokering from teams that are already out of the race.

Nino: I really liked the addition of Nino to the team last year, but as an expiring contact on *this* team it would make the most sense to move on. Collect a future asset or 2 and call it a day.
        Lowry: Yes I know, everyone loves the guy because he's big and strong and profiles as a shutdown center. And that's exactly why we should trade him. Playoff contenders pay through the nose for those types of players, and we should take advantage of that. I believe there's a team our there that would give up their 1st for Adam Lowry. All we have to do is find them.
        Demelo: Demelo is a guy I'd actually like to keep. He fits really well with Morrisey and he's a solid veteran presence for the young guys to learn from. I prefer him to Dillon.

Names: I resigned him because of his success with Ehlers and Wheels. We can continue the annual hockey tradition of trading him for a 4th round pick.
        MTL
        WPG
        1. Murray, Matt
        2. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
        TOR
        1. 2023 2nd round pick (STL)
        Additional Details:
        In my fantasy world here, we also make the Leafs pay to move off Matt Murray. This is a similar deal to the Mrazek trade last year.
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the BOS
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the LAK
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the DET
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the LAK
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the WPG
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        23$82,500,000$66,894,524$0$3,125,000$15,605,476
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
        $6,000,000$6,000,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        LW, C
        RFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
        RW
        NTC
        UFA - 1
        $7,142,857$7,142,857
        LW
        UFA - 3
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        C, LW
        RFA - 4
        $4,000,000$4,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
        $4,000,000$4,000,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$1,550,000$2M)
        C
        RFA - 1
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        LW, RW, C
        UFA - 2
        $2,000,000$2,000,000
        LW, RW
        RFA - 2
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $2,166,667$2,166,667
        RW
        UFA - 2
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $6,250,000$6,250,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 5
        $3,000,000$3,000,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $850,000$850,000
        LD
        RFA - 2
        $1,700,000$1,700,000
        LD/RD
        RFA - 1
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $4,687,500$4,687,500
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 1
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
        LD
        RFA - 1
        $5,950,000$5,950,000
        LD/RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $800,000$800,000
        C, RW
        UFA - 1
        $800,000$800,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $762,500$762,500
        LD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:37 a.m.
        Dolzhenkov Is Coming
        Jackets would likely rather just stick with Bean for their 3LD rather than paying a 3rd for a much worse option.
        capfriendlyaccount and benjgc liked this.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:42 a.m.
        Detroit declines, much too much to ask.
        aedoran liked this.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 1:52 a.m.
        EmpowerYT
        Send Durzi to Guangdong frfr. Idk if Blake would want to give up AI since he's a leader, but if it means not giving up Byfield/Clarke/Kaliyev I'm all for it. (Please give Turcotte some quality time, I love him)
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 2:32 a.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        Signing Cam Talbot and giving Morgan Barron $2M.... 🤮

Dillon is solid, DeMelo is solidly mediocre.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 3:13 a.m.
        Avs decline, moving Newhook would only create another hole down the middle for the avs. Would move Olauson and the 2024 first but thats about as high as i would go.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 3:29 a.m.
        Bandwagon fairweathe
        Still haven’t seen a scenario where there’s a winning team in the length of the contracts left of ehlers and or Connor, so personally have to check the values and anybody else nearing the end of team control. Not a bad time to become a riverboat gambler there Chevy.
        MisstheWhalers liked this.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 7:49 a.m.
        Drop Newhook and I would consider it. Him and PLD have done nothing to make a high character team want to bring them in. At least not at top/market dollar
        NMAvsFan and Xqb15a liked this.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
        Representing the 505
        Personally, the only players I'd want from WPG would be Ehlers or PLD assuming he'd sign a new, reasonable long-term deal. The rest of that team is either toxic or do not perform well in the playoffs.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 9:46 a.m.
        "It was surprisingly hard to find a suitor for Scheifele" -> proceeds to make COL massively overpay
        Xqb15a and MeetYourMakar liked this.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
        Go Canes
        Quoting: MisstheWhalers

Stop hating and go watch the next whalers game. Let's go Canes
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 5:58 p.m.
        GoJetsGo

I liked Barron and he's still got time to improve. I think he could be a solid 3C in a few years. 2 mil isn't crazy, especially if we're operating well under the cap anyways.

Completely disagree on your Demelo/Dillon assessment; I see it the other way around. Demelo gets burned sometimes but he also is a decent chance surpressor in his own end (although he does end up there a little too much). Dillon might be tough but he handles the puck like a live grenade and it drives me nuts. I don't remember him making a clean exit pass all year.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
        GoJetsGo
        Quoting: Will27
        Avs decline, moving Newhook would only create another hole down the middle for the avs. Would move Olauson and the 2024 first but thats about as high as i would go.

Ok, fair enough

Quoting: MeetYourMakar
        Drop Newhook and I would consider it. Him and PLD have done nothing to make a high character team want to bring them in. At least not at top/market dollar

Quoting: swissmontana
        "It was surprisingly hard to find a suitor for Scheifele" -> proceeds to make COL massively overpay

Attitude issues and all, the last time Scheifele was below a point a game before this year was 2015-16. I find it hard to believe he'd go for less than Horvat, and it probably would be more. A middle 6 guy and a 1st doesn't seem like an overpay in my view.
        Jun. 9, 2023 at 7:35 p.m.
        Quoting: capfriendlyaccount

Attitude issues and all, the last time Scheifele was below a point a game before this year was 2015-16. I find it hard to believe he'd go for less than Horvat, and it probably would be more. A middle 6 guy and a 1st doesn't seem like an overpay in my view.

this is all fair. but i still dont think newhook is moving for schiefle - newhook is not a 30-year-old middle six, he is 22 and growing into his game. Avs may move him for dubois, but not here imo.
        Jun. 10, 2023 at 1:12 a.m.
        GoJetsGo
        Quoting: swissmontana
        this is all fair. but i still dont think newhook is moving for schiefle - newhook is not a 30-year-old middle six, he is 22 and growing into his game. Avs may move him for dubois, but not here imo.

Yeah, he should still have 2C upside, but he's not a surefire Scheifele replacement. I think unfortunately we've missed our best chance to trade Scheif (last summer), rental prices are generally not as high as for guys with more term. My biggest fear is still that we resign him to a massive overpay and lock ourselves into the middle 10 for the next 5+ years.
        Jun. 10, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        Yeah, he should still have 2C upside, but he's not a surefire Scheifele replacement. I think unfortunately we've missed our best chance to trade Scheif (last summer), rental prices are generally not as high as for guys with more term. My biggest fear is still that we resign him to a massive overpay and lock ourselves into the middle 10 for the next 5+ years.

Out of Dubois, Scheifele and Hellebuyck the only one I'd consider keeping is Scheifele, that is if the plan is to compete sooner then later and Wheeler is gone from the organization.
        Jun. 10, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
        MisstheWhalers
        I liked Barron and he's still got time to improve. I think he could be a solid 3C in a few years. 2 mil isn't crazy, especially if we're operating well under the cap anyways.

Completely disagree on your Demelo/Dillon assessment; I see it the other way around. Demelo gets burned sometimes but he also is a decent chance surpressor in his own end (although he does end up there a little too much). Dillon might be tough but he handles the puck like a live grenade and it drives me nuts. I don't remember him making a clean exit pass all year.

When was the last time Barron has played center?
        The guy clipped 20 points in mostly 3rd line minutes and a lot of it came from special teams time or into an empty net, sure there's time to improve for him but whether they have a lot of cap space or not I wouldn't give him anymore then a $950K bridge deal and see where it goes. He looks like every other bottom six the Jets have had for years, plugging away working hard but can't produce to save their lifes, they really need to get guys that can actually produce in the bottom six if they're ever going to be more then a wild card/1st round exit team.

I think you're overstating Dillons passing deficiencies, just don't see DeMelo as a top pair guy on a good team and question if he's even a 2nd pair guy, probably time to move on from both of them to be honest but I'd keep Dillon if I had to pick one, they really can't afford to get any smaller on the back end.
        Jun. 10, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
        GoJetsGo
        Out of Dubois, Scheifele and Hellebuyck the only one I'd consider keeping is Scheifele, that is if the plan is to compete sooner then later and Wheeler is gone from the organization.

Interesting. I don't really see how we can compete without Helle tbh. Unfortunately Dubois seems to be gone already because he's the one that still has room for growth.

Either way, I'm not too optimistic about Chevy overseeing this summer. This offseason is a critical point for the franchise and he seems to still stubbornly believe that we're a move away from a contender. That mindset could risk our three best assets walking next offseason, or maybe worse, locking us into mediocrity for a half decade or more.
        MisstheWhalers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll