SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Draft Day And Free Agency

Aug. 17, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: oneX
Matthews is better than MacKinnon, sure I can find common ground with you on that but...is he light years better than MacKinnon?

Funny enough I'm about to make my point here now that I made a few days ago with my friends and heard the exact same point being made on the Overdrive show in Toronto on Wednesday evening about how guys like McDavid and MacKinnon sign these 8 year deals, but here in Toronto the narrative becomes "okay, I'll sign whatever 3-4-5 year deal but that's all I'm willing to do"

Why is it that other top players sign deals that favour their team but here in Toronto it's different because what? I don't get it.

Yeah the 12.7 (12.whatever number) is a bit of a dreamland number but signing Matthews to something in the 13 million range is reasonable. My gripe comes in at the term. I'm not sure why more us are not puzzled that our guys won't/can't commit to an 8 year deal but we see top guys on other teams doing this enough.

I feel you can't be like players should get every penny they can and players should take a discount.

Discount would be nice but don't think it's automatic
oneX liked this.
Aug. 17, 2023 at 1:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 17, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
Matthews is better than MacKinnon, sure I can find common ground with you on that but...is he light years better than MacKinnon?

Funny enough I'm about to make my point here now that I made a few days ago with my friends and heard the exact same point being made on the Overdrive show in Toronto on Wednesday evening about how guys like McDavid and MacKinnon sign these 8 year deals, but here in Toronto the narrative becomes "okay, I'll sign whatever 3-4-5 year deal but that's all I'm willing to do"

Why is it that other top players sign deals that favour their team but here in Toronto it's different because what? I don't get it.

Yeah the 12.7 (12.whatever number) is a bit of a dreamland number but signing Matthews to something in the 13 million range is reasonable. My gripe comes in at the term. I'm not sure why more us are not puzzled that our guys won't/can't commit to an 8 year deal but we see top guys on other teams doing this enough.

People forget in SJS Thorton and Marleau never signed long term deals with them and they were dominate for a long time

Both did 7 year ELC's then signed 2-4 year deals with SJS multiple times (Marleau also with Toronto RIP)

So its not just Toronto

I get the headache as other guys are signing 8 year deals left and right but not in Toronto. Than again we did did see Makar take 6 years over 8 years at 9m when other guys were doing 8 year deals

Maybe Tree breaks the mold and gets them on 8 years maybe not. But as long as they plan to stay idc Matthews can keep signing 3 year deals.
Aug. 17, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I feel you can't be like players should get every penny they can and players should take a discount.

Discount would be nice but don't think it's automatic

All I was trying to say is that Matthews got a pretty favourable deal with the current contract and maybe this time around he would want a contract that empowered the organization to have a stronger roster going forward.

Now, that doesn't mean that I want Matthews to sign a chump change type deal because that isn't even a thing (thankfully), just an AAV/term that helps the roster get stronger than it currently and has been over the last couple of years.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 18, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Thats my (former) GM
F30P_ZmWIAAqT4r?format=jpg&name=small
NorthernLeafsFan05, Saskleaf, MatthewsFan and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 18, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Random2152
Thats my (former) GM
F30P_ZmWIAAqT4r?format=jpg&name=small

All class all the time from KD
MatthewsFan, Trickster, Random2152 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 18, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
All I was trying to say is that Matthews got a pretty favourable deal with the current contract and maybe this time around he would want a contract that empowered the organization to have a stronger roster going forward.

Now, that doesn't mean that I want Matthews to sign a chump change type deal because that isn't even a thing (thankfully), just an AAV/term that helps the roster get stronger than it currently and has been over the last couple of years.

One thing that have I have gripe about when it comes to player salaries is taxes.

Taxes are driving too much of the conversation, cause in truth regardless of AAV its what the player is taking home in salary that is the determining factor.

I want the taxing to change, I think taxing should be the same for every player and this can be accomplished by centralizing the banking.

Have all salaries of players paid at HQ of the NHL after the teams transfer salary payment to the league.

Taxing should not be driving force on where a player goes, it should be the organization, city, fans etc...
oneX and BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Aug. 18, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 19, 2023 at 3:33 p.m.
One thing that have I have gripe about when it comes to player salaries is taxes.

Taxes are driving too much of the conversation, cause in truth regardless of AAV its what the player is taking home in salary that is the determining factor.

I want the taxing to change, I think taxing should be the same for every player and this can be accomplished by centralizing the banking.

Have all salaries of players paid at HW of the NHL after the teams transfer salary payment to the league.

Taxing should not be driving force on where a player goes, it should be the organization, city, fans etc...

The thing is every province and state has its own tax. No level of government will permit a sporting organization from having a separate tax system than theirs when it comes to paying its players as then people will go why this guy paying less tax than me or players will complain
Aug. 19, 2023 at 7:02 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming

Have all salaries of players paid at HQ of the NHL after the teams transfer salary payment to the league.

I mean the much better solution is for the yanks to figure out the concept of taxing the rich lmao
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 19, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Nice for the mhl to name a cup after Amirov

Poor kid still can't believe he's gone
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 20, 2023 at 12:36 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Can we just change the Leafs goal song to Edge's theme already? Would EASILY be a top 3 goal song in the league
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 20, 2023 at 9:58 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Can we just change the Leafs goal song to Edge's theme already? Would EASILY be a top 3 goal song in the league

I do like their current one a lot because it’s insanely catchy but it’s probably time to change it up.
Aug. 22, 2023 at 12:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/NHLNetwork/status/1693820296174633200

They do got some nice pieces over there but I just dont see it happening.
Aug. 22, 2023 at 8:56 p.m.
Amirov Forever
The amount of people eating up the Nylander to the Isles rumor is hilarious, however it does bring up a trade fit that I've speculated in the past. I believe I mentioned something like Pageau, George, Dufour, and picks for Nylander. I also wouldn't mind Ruslan Ishakov. A package like that would be fine with me
Aug. 22, 2023 at 9:06 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
The amount of people eating up the Nylander to the Isles rumor is hilarious, however it does bring up a trade fit that I've speculated in the past. I believe I mentioned something like Pageau, George, Dufour, and picks for Nylander. I also wouldn't mind Ruslan Ishakov. A package like that would be fine with me

That would be horrible for us...
1st. Lets not move Willie. We're trying to win.
2nd. Lets not move Willie for worthless crap.
3rd. See point 1
Aug. 23, 2023 at 12:54 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Unless NYI are gonna give us one of Pelech or Pulock makes 0 sense
Aug. 23, 2023 at 1:03 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Unless NYI are gonna give us one of Pelech or Pulock makes 0 sense

My bad, I mean the Leafs should go for one of George / Dufour, and then get Wahlstrom plus whatever else. Pageau gives us good center depth (some of the best in the league), Wahlstrom still has upside, and one of those prospects would be nice.

I think the Leafs should wait though, Nylander is losing leverage with every passing day. Seeing guys like Aho and Hagel get extended just weakens any Nylander argument for 10 mil
Aug. 23, 2023 at 1:06 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
My bad, I mean the Leafs should go for one of George / Dufour, and then get Wahlstrom plus whatever else. Pageau gives us good center depth (some of the best in the league), Wahlstrom still has upside, and one of those prospects would be nice.

I think the Leafs should wait though, Nylander is losing leverage with every passing day. Seeing guys like Aho and Hagel get extended just weakens any Nylander argument for 10 mil

NYI really got nothing we want but those 2 guys I mentioned. Not sold on Wahlstom, and Pageau be 30

To me the 3 perfect teams for Nylander rn

1. Carolina
2. Seattle
3. Anaheim

With HM's

1. Columbus and Vancouver
Aug. 23, 2023 at 2:14 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Peter Holland got a PTO??? In the NHL???? What year is it?????
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:41 a.m.
Amirov Forever
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1694341015011033236?s=19

🐐

I'd be so pissed if the Leafs traded Nylander, especially before playing games in Sweden
Random2152 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1694341015011033236?s=19

🐐

I'd be so pissed if the Leafs traded Nylander, especially before playing games in Sweden

Depends on what they get back for him

If he continues to demand 10+m and were at risk of losing him for nothing in FA its not a thing I see Brad wanting to occur nor any fan of TML

Especially after what happened to him last summer with Gaudreau

Sure it would suck but if they get Necas and Pesce back or something similar to what PLD got would have 0 complaints.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I absolutely see no point in using him as a rental this season but IF you could get a futures package from ANA and look to flip one of those assets to help this year and beyond, that is what I’d want
in a trade.

I don’t see any 1 for 1 trades that I like. Give me futures
NorthernLeafsFan05 and oneX liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 23, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I absolutely see no point in using him as a rental this season but IF you could get a futures package from ANA and look to flip one of those assets to help this year and beyond, that is what I’d want
in a trade.

I don’t see any 1 for 1 trades that I like. Give me futures

Idk if Pitt called and said Guentzel I would be interested.

1 for 1

But yea I agree if we do move Willy going for futures would be nice

As I feel one of

Horvat trade
PLD trade
or Tkachuck trades are good base marks for him depending on if he is a rental or if its a sign and trade
oneX liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:12 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
F4PrVzTXwAAADiF?format=webp&name=900x900

Would have loved 5 years but here is our window
Saskleaf and leafs101 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Leafs haters in shambles. Decent term, great AAV
Saskleaf, leafs101 and Juice liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 5:17 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Random2152
Leafs haters in shambles. Decent term, great AAV

Ehh no it’s not great AAV, it makes him the leagues highest payed player which we knew would happen and it’s fine, but it’s definitely not a “great” AAV. But I’ll absolutely take it 100% of the time over Matthews walking. Glad we got him locked up
leafs101 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll