SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Klingberg (1 Year / $4,150,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 1, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Leafs fans: too late, 24 months too late

Idk remember Barrie he had a tough time but then went to EDM and got things going again

Klingberg had 10 goals combined on 2 teams who are lesser offensively. He could be someone who puts up 15 goals and 65 points here and than cashes in elsewhere who knows

As the mistake Klingberg made last year was going for the money 1 year vs the smart 1 year

Cause if he went with a competitor he could be making 6mill rn on a long deal somewhere
Jul. 1, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
Excellent use of 4M.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 6:41 p.m.
You know nothing JS
This fills none of Toronto's needs. The only use for Klinberg is on the PP.

Doubling down on the All offense/no defense strategy, because that worked so well already....
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 6:48 p.m.
Edited Aug. 23, 2023 at 8:46 p.m.
People evaluating D-men by points once again....seen enough.

As biased as i am for SWE, TML had 7 years younger same type of offensive D in their flock, but Dubas thought its better to sign 6 years older Rielly for 6M more and now Treliving is continuing with 7 years older for 3,5M more, Swede or not

Aksiom No1 : you only need 1 overperforming offensive D-man on your Team, cause anyone can be D on your 2nd PP unit

Observation : TLM once again heading for 2 unreliable D-men in their own end for 12M combined instead having Sandin for 1,4M or even Gustafsson for 900k
Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:39 p.m.
No regretzkys
Look at it this way...
Leafs get Klingberg to replace Justin Holl...

I don't love the signing, but Klingberg is better than Holl
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:39 p.m.
No regretzkys
Look at it this way...

Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
Go leafs go
Is this ideal, no, but I’m fine with this. Toronto really does need offense from its back end. Plus he’s way better than Holl
MadLin27 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
Huskies
another free agency another one year deal for klingberg
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.
Banned
Sabres are going to be better than the Leafs defensively at this rate
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Sabres are going to be better than the Leafs defensively at this rate

Idk people said that last year and our PK was better despite not having 2 #1 OA Dman picks

Like the only diff is Holl out for Klingberg and Holl was terrible at both offense and defense. Klingberg gives u the offense sure at a cost of defense but thats why u pair him with a defensive stud like Brodie
Jul. 2, 2023 at 12:46 a.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Seems fine, it's only one year so it'll go well imo
Jul. 2, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
I don't get this deal. He's an offence only guy, they have that for a lot cheaper in Timmins. They should be looking for a good Defensive D-man to replace Holl and be part of a shutdown pair, now they have to hope Liljegren can make that jump.

At least it's just a 1 year, not a terrible deal but i think it's bad from an opportunity cost point of view
Jul. 3, 2023 at 8:06 a.m.
Quoting: MadLin27
Look at it this way...

I suppose if you look at it that way it doesn’t seem so bad, especially when you compare it with the contract Holl got in Detroit, but Klingberg is not what they needed. He’s a good offensive defenseman who struggles defensively. The Leafs probably could benefit from more offence from the defence, but they had an offensive defenseman who only played when Rielly was injured (Timmins), and they acquired a better offensive defenseman at the deadline last season who almost never dressed (Gustafsson). Klingberg is probably an upgrade over Gustafsson, but he cost them $3.3M more in cap hit than Gustafsson signed for in New York. I think they could have found a better use for that cap hit.

I like the way Dubas retooled the defence last season, so I feel like what they really needed was a replacement for Schenn, because the rest of what I saw as the top 6 are back (Rielly, McCabe, Liljegren, Brodie and Giordano), with Timmins as the 7th man, assuming Muzzin doesn’t come back. Maybe there are more moves to come which will make this one make more sense, but the thing I like most about it now is it’s only one year.
Jul. 3, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
Remember last year when Columbus signed Erik Gubranson for $4M AAV, then they went out and got Gaudreau? They had to dump Bjorkstrand to get under the cap after signing Gaudreau. If they hadn’t signed Gudbranson, they’d have been able to keep Bjorkstrand. Klingberg is Toronto’s Gudbranson. Somebody’s going to have to go, and it’s probably going to be somebody they need more than Klingberg. I wonder if they would have signed him if they knew they were going to get Bertuzzi and Domi.
MadLin27 liked this.
Jul. 3, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
No regretzkys
Quoting: jr400
I suppose if you look at it that way it doesn’t seem so bad, especially when you compare it with the contract Holl got in Detroit, but Klingberg is not what they needed. He’s a good offensive defenseman who struggles defensively. The Leafs probably could benefit from more offence from the defence, but they had an offensive defenseman who only played when Rielly was injured (Timmins), and they acquired a better offensive defenseman at the deadline last season who almost never dressed (Gustafsson). Klingberg is probably an upgrade over Gustafsson, but he cost them $3.3M more in cap hit than Gustafsson signed for in New York. I think they could have found a better use for that cap hit.

I like the way Dubas retooled the defence last season, so I feel like what they really needed was a replacement for Schenn, because the rest of what I saw as the top 6 are back (Rielly, McCabe, Liljegren, Brodie and Giordano), with Timmins as the 7th man, assuming Muzzin doesn’t come back. Maybe there are more moves to come which will make this one make more sense, but the thing I like most about it now is it’s only one year.

II can't disagree with any of that.
Timmins definitely seems like the bargain version of Klingberg.
I guess they figure three things:
1) Klingberg will thrive feeding the puck to this offence
2) Klingberg can play a top 4 role on a team. He can eat big minutes. Timmins hasn't proven that.
3) Klingberg can play better D in Toronto's systems.
Nov. 6, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
torontos finest
if you want to know how klingberg has fared so far: people want holl back.
Nov. 6, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
if you want to know how klingberg has fared so far: people want holl back.

No no were not there yet. I would rather have Barrie back though as at least he had moments of usefulness

Other than DAL game Klingberg has looked worse than any Dman seen in the NHL since Martin Marincin
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: aadoyle
No no were not there yet. I would rather have Barrie back though as at least he had moments of usefulness

Other than DAL game Klingberg has looked worse than any Dman seen in the NHL since Martin Marincin

are we there now
Nov. 8, 2023 at 10:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
are we there now

Can I change my answer to I want neither I want Marincin back lul

At least he gave us a moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgtY4Rgqdk
Dec. 7, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.

Well, it's official. Klingberg is out for the season and Barrie is available.

I wouldn't wish what Klingberg is going through on anybody, but at least we know now why he wasn't living up to expectations, and the Leafs are free to move on from him and use his cap hit to acquire somebody else. I never thought he was what they needed anyway, nor is Barrie (though I thought he got better toward the end of his time in Toronto). I get that they wanted more offence from the defence, but I think they need more of a 2-way guy, even if he's not as strong offensively. A 25-30 point guy who can block shots and punish opposing forwards would be better than a 40-50 point guy who's pure offence. A guy like that could still contribute to the power play, but he could kill penalties too.
Dec. 7, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Well, it's official. Klingberg is out for the season and Barrie is available.

I wouldn't wish what Klingberg is going through on anybody, but at least we know now why he wasn't living up to expectations, and the Leafs are free to move on from him and use his cap hit to acquire somebody else. I never thought he was what they needed anyway, nor is Barrie (though I thought he got better toward the end of his time in Toronto). I get that they wanted more offence from the defence, but I think they need more of a 2-way guy, even if he's not as strong offensively. A 25-30 point guy who can block shots and punish opposing forwards would be better than a 40-50 point guy who's pure offence. A guy like that could still contribute to the power play, but he could kill penalties too.

When it comes to Barrie over the Klingberg we saw yes would rather have Barrie

However now that Kling's on LTIR hell nah to Barrie as a replacement lul

Guys not worth it nor what this team needs anymore. Timmins is back and he may also be on the outside looking in soon
Dec. 7, 2023 at 10:02 p.m.
When it comes to Barrie over the Klingberg we saw yes would rather have Barrie

However now that Kling's on LTIR hell nah to Barrie as a replacement lul

Guys not worth it nor what this team needs anymore. Timmins is back and he may also be on the outside looking in soon

That’s another reason I thought it didn’t make sense for Toronto to sign Klingberg. Timmins doesn’t look as good this season, but he was a pretty effective offensive defenseman last season, and they played him only when Reilly was injured. Then they got Gustafsson, and he didn’t play much either. I’m not saying I disagreed with the decision to sit those guys, but it tells me that an offensive defenseman wasn’t a priority in the stretch run and playoffs, so why did it suddenly become one going into the regular season? Even if it was, I didn’t think Klingberg would be enough of an upgrade over Timmins to burn over $4M of precious cap space on him.

I don’t know how badly Nashville wants to get rid of Tyson Barrie – they don’t need the cap space, so it may be Barrie wanting it more than the team – but if he’s available with 50% retained for a late-round draft pick, would you make that trade?
Dec. 7, 2023 at 10:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That’s another reason I thought it didn’t make sense for Toronto to sign Klingberg. Timmins doesn’t look as good this season, but he was a pretty effective offensive defenseman last season, and they played him only when Reilly was injured. Then they got Gustafsson, and he didn’t play much either. I’m not saying I disagreed with the decision to sit those guys, but it tells me that an offensive defenseman wasn’t a priority in the stretch run and playoffs, so why did it suddenly become one going into the regular season? Even if it was, I didn’t think Klingberg would be enough of an upgrade over Timmins to burn over $4M of precious cap space on him.

I don’t know how badly Nashville wants to get rid of Tyson Barrie – they don’t need the cap space, so it may be Barrie wanting it more than the team – but if he’s available with 50% retained for a late-round draft pick, would you make that trade?

In general Klingberg if healthy and motivated would have been better than Barrie or even last years Timmins but sadly hip gave out

Timmins has looked fine but not someone I would trust for playoffs.

So were gonna have to start looking
jr400 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit