Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 1
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 5:51 p.m.
      Danny B is here
      This is the only correct take lol
      McRanteskog, Avsfantrumpetman, KennyBoi and 2 others liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
      Save Ukrane, end war
      You know better than to post common sense on capfriendly!
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
      Hakuna Matata
      How to get cap space = LTIR

Dont know how people keep missing that

U need space say guys hurt shove him on LTIR and dont activate till playoffs or just sit him there and have the sweet cap lul

Some people just dont understand the flat cap hockey sense rn
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
      20 man roster, trade or buyout Murray and the cap works with Domi and Bertuzzi. Teams have started to realize that to win the cup, they need to play with serious fire when it comes to the cap. They need to be willing to burn themselves to win. If they aren't willing to get burnt by the cap and their tactics, the odds of the winning are very low. Vegas burnt themselves to a crisp 2 years ago and just missed the playoffs. Although if they made the playoffs, they would have had so many reinforcements, they would have been a serious problem for teams. Last year, they went a little less aggressive and won the cup.

Get used to 19-21 man rosters to start the year.

Getting Domi and Bert on 1 year deals, were perfect adds. Klingberg has a lot of use, and I can see his need but he is the one I thought they misspent on (and Reaves). I thought they needed size and physicality in their D. Which Klingberg is not. He is a super talented shooter and puck mover though, so it could end up working out nicely.

I disagree with your take, because the Leafs aren't in a serious cap problem. Although that does change if Samsonov gets over 4m a year (which I think is unlikely).
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
      RETIRED
      Quoting: TMLBRIAN
      20 man roster, trade or buyout Murray and the cap works with Domi and Bertuzzi. Teams have started to realize that to win the cup, they need to play with serious fire when it comes to the cap. They need to be willing to burn themselves to win. If they aren't willing to get burnt by the cap and their tactics, the odds of the winning are very low. Vegas burnt themselves to a crisp 2 years ago and just missed the playoffs. Although if they made the playoffs, they would have had so many reinforcements, they would have been a serious problem for teams. Last year, they went a little less aggressive and won the cup.

Getting Domi and Bert on 1 year deals, were perfect adds. Klingberg has a lot of use, and I can see his need but he is the one I thought they misspent on (and Reaves). I thought they needed size and physicality in their D. Which Klingberg is not. He is a super talented shooter and puck mover though, so it could end up working out nicely.

I disagree with your take, because the Leafs aren't in a serious cap problem. Although that does change if Samsonov gets over 4m a year (which I think is unlikely).

“I disagree with your take, because the Leafs aren't in a serious cap problem.” - TMLBrian 2023
      Avsfantrumpetman and KennyBoi liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.

Best of luck to you guys on this strategy.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:14 p.m.
      Quoting: McRanteskog
      “I disagree with your take, because the Leafs aren't in a serious cap problem.” - TMLBrian 2023

I should have said - I disagree with your take AND I disagree with your view that the Leafs are in a serious cap problems.

They definitely need to make adjustments, but I believe the solutions are quite simple. They are just waiting on the judgement of this hearing to know what their best course of action is.
      McRanteskog liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
      Quoting: Avsfantrumpetman
      Best of luck to you guys on this strategy.

Not just the Leafs doing this. Several teams did this the past few years. Tampa and Vegas both won cups playing with cap fire.

I suspect we will see more and more teams do this each year.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
      RETIRED
      I should have said - I disagree with your take AND I disagree with your view that the Leafs are in a serious cap problems.

They definitely need to make adjustments, but I believe the solutions are quite simple. They are just waiting on the judgement of this hearing to know what their best course of action is.

Too late, your quote has already been clipped and shipped brother
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
      Not just the Leafs doing this. Several teams did this the past few years. Tampa and Vegas both won cups playing with cap fire.

I suspect we will see more and more teams do this each year.

I don't disagree that Tampa and Vegas got cups because of playing with fire. The reality is we don't really know what the actual rate of success is going to be trying this stuff out. I also think we are going to see some different LTIR requirements start to come in if this keeps up. Don't get me wrong, if I were in your shoes I'd be thinking the same thing. Will be interesting to see what happens.
      McRanteskog liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
      Habs 7th round 1983

I wish Montreal can clear $15m of cap space so that they can short squeeze Toronto when needed
      McRanteskog liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.

The first statement still holds true. The 2nd one just better illustrates my thoughts on the matter.

Your claim is that the Leafs shouldn't have signed Domi and Bert because they couldn't afford them. My claim is that is simply wrong and that they can afford them. I outlined how they make it work before the start of the year.

You can clip anything, anyone ever says, out of context and make them look dumb or mean or (add in any word you want). But when doing so, you a jeopardizing everything that is good in that relationship, in yourself and in the world. Be cautious when playing with dishonesty. The world becomes much worse when people do.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
      Quoting: VladislavTretiak
      I wish Montreal can clear $15m of cap space so that they can short squeeze Toronto when needed

Well Montreal did steal a 1st round pick from Tre last year, based on their cap space. Looks like Montreal still has some cap space. It wouldn't shock me, if they end up taking on Murray for another highway robbery from Tre.

Time will tell how it plays out.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:31 p.m.
      Rip

You are just dying to see the leafs burn eh? Like reality and facts don't matter just your desire to see the team lose its starts.

But Domi shouldn't have been signed.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:32 p.m.
      I don't disagree that Tampa and Vegas got cups because of playing with fire. The reality is we don't really know what the actual rate of success is going to be trying this stuff out. I also think we are going to see some different LTIR requirements start to come in if this keeps up. Don't get me wrong, if I were in your shoes I'd be thinking the same thing. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Definitely agree that LTIR requirements should be looked into. Based on several teams having success going down that route, in a short period of time, I believe we will see more teams do it. Until things change of course. I am suggesting that the Leafs are planning to use this as a solution this year. As are Pittsburgh for that matter. I am very confident in that.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
      RETIRED
      The first statement still holds true. The 2nd one just better illustrates my thoughts on the matter.

Your claim is that the Leafs shouldn't have signed Domi and Bert because they couldn't afford them. My claim is that is simply wrong and that they can afford them. I outlined how they make it work before the start of the year.

You can clip anything, anyone ever says, out of context and make them look dumb or mean or (add in any word you want). But when doing so, you a jeopardizing everything that is good in that relationship, in yourself and in the world. Be cautious when playing with dishonesty. The world becomes much worse when people do.

Just some friendly banter mate, don’t take what I said too seriously
      TMLBRIAN liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
      Quoting: RipNasty
      You are just dying to see the leafs burn eh? Like reality and facts don't matter just your desire to see the team lose its starts.

You don't like the Domi signing? Why not?

I don't love the Reaves signing based on term and cap hit (I would have been happy if it were under 1m for max 2 years). I am very luke warm on the Klingberg signing. I would have loved to give Timmins that role, and spent that 4m on a bigger and tougher dman.

Curious to hear why you don't like Domi for 1 year at 3m though.
      RETIRED
      Quoting: RipNasty

TOR is my second favourite team mate. No hatred or anything over here my guy
      Just some friendly banter mate, don’t take what I said too seriously

Much love my friend <3
      McRanteskog liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:36 p.m.
      Habs 7th round 1983
      Well Montreal did steal a 1st round pick from Tre last year, based on their cap space. Looks like Montreal still has some cap space. It wouldn't shock me, if they end up taking on Murray for another highway robbery from Tre.

Time will tell how it plays out.

Treliving was under pressure last year just before signing Kadri. It's possible we could see a similar scenario this year, with either Murray or TJ Brodie (Montreal could send Kovacevic in a trade involving Brodie).
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:38 p.m.
      Quoting: VladislavTretiak
      Treliving was under pressure last year just before signing Kadri. It's possible we could see a similar scenario this year, with either Murray or TJ Brodie (Montreal could send Kovacevic in a trade involving Brodie).

Brodie is our 2nd best dman and is easily worth his 5m cap hit. If we trade Brodie, we best be getting an defensive upgrade for him. I would not be happy if we trade him as a cap dump. Rielly - Brodie has been such a good pair for years. Not sure why they started breaking it up.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.
      Habs 7th round 1983
      Brodie is our 2nd best dman and is easily worth his 5m cap hit. If we trade Brodie, we best be getting an defensive upgrade for him. I would not be happy if we trade him as a cap dump. Rielly - Brodie has been such a good pair for years. Not sure why they started breaking it up.

Makes sense
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:39 p.m.

THIS is the scary thing for leafs fans. If Murray can't go on LTIR (and for the record I totally believe they can do this), then every team knows they need to dump cap. Your return on guys is going to be very bad .
      TMLBRIAN liked this.
      Jul. 21, 2023 at 6:43 p.m.
      THIS is the scary thing for leafs fans. If Murray can't go on LTIR (and for the record I totally believe they can do this), then every team knows they need to dump cap. Your return on guys is going to be very bad .

Fair enough. Hence Monahan + 1st to Montreal last year.

I can't argue with your logic here.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll